Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

How To Start And Run A Bookshop - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start And Run A Bookshop (9389 Views)

How To Open And Run A School Successfully / What Are The Criteria For Opening A Bookshop In Nigeria / Information For Setting Up A Bookshop And Accessories Store (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start And Run A Bookshop by san316(m): 12:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
Good day all. I'm currently working in a bank but i plan to quit in the next five months to run my business. I decided to start up a bookshop now so that when i quit, i won't be idle. Therefore, for those who are experienced, i need help on what i need to know and do in order to be successful. Please i need your advice.
Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by san316(m): 3:01pm On Oct 09, 2014
Where are those shouting entrepreneurship up and down? Now someone needs help and they're all mute. Diaris god oo
Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by handsomjulee(m): 3:01pm On Oct 09, 2014
add me up on wassap:::08037755102
Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by san316(m): 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
handsomjulee:
add me up on wassap:::08037755102
ok ok. I will.
Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by naijacutee(f): 1:42pm On Oct 10, 2014
First, well done for walking away from paid employment to create value. I'm guessing you have done your homework already and you know your market. The very first thing you should consider when going into business is who your customers will be. Are you going to go out to look for them, or do you already know who they are? Have you got a profile of the sort of people you plan on selling to, and do you know how to reach them? I know Instagram is becoming a great tool for reaching niche customers. Small businesses put up pictures of their stock and offers and their followers spread the news.

Second thing you need to think about is your competition. Obviously there are big players in the industry already - so what can you do better than them? i know i have seen complaints in the part regarding Konga and the likes for slow delivery due to stock issue (sometimes they order stock only after the customer has purchased/paid). Can you do this better? Can you hold stock and offer same day deliveries within certain regions?

Finally, where will you get stock from on a regular basis? I can help with this btw, as just helped someone purchase kids books from a shut down library in the UK and I have about 200 pcs in Lagos I'm selling off for N150 each. If you want to take all, or something similar, let me know.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by san316(m): 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
naijacutee:
First, well done for walking away from paid employment to create value. I'm guessing you have done your homework already and you know your market. The very first thing you should consider when going into business is who your customers will be. Are you going to go out to look for them, or do you already know who they are? Have you got a profile of the sort of people you plan on selling to, and do you know how to reach them? I know Instagram is becoming a great tool for reaching niche customers. Small businesses put up pictures of their stock and offers and their followers spread the news.

Second thing you need to think about is your competition. Obviously there are big players in the industry already - so what can you do better than them? i know i have seen complaints in the part regarding Konga and the likes for slow delivery due to stock issue (sometimes they order stock only after the customer has purchased/paid). Can you do this better? Can you hold stock and offer same day deliveries within certain regions?

Finally, where will you get stock from on a regular basis? I can help with this btw, as just helped someone purchase kids books from a shut down library in the UK and I have about 200 pcs in Lagos I'm selling off for N150 each. If you want to take all, or something similar, let me know.

Hope this helps

thanks a lot. I'm presently in abuja. I plan to open a walk in shop because there is almostnone where I stay. My concern is how to get supplies of stationeries and all what could be sold kn a bookshop. You know the profit matters a lot n it depends on ur supplycost
Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by naijacutee(f): 3:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
san316:
thanks a lot. I'm presently in abuja. I plan to open a walk in shop because there is almostnone where I stay. My concern is how to get supplies of stationeries and all what could be sold kn a bookshop. You know the profit matters a lot n it depends on ur supplycost
I see. It does make sense to do so especially if you have no competition in the area. It means that you have a market to fill. I would advise buying supplies from wholesalers in Lagos, as you are much more likely to lower your overheads and increase your profits. For items which are in demand but are hard to get a hold of, you can source from abroad and this is where I can help. Even if you are not using me for this, it's usually better for you to choose the sea shipping method with whomever you source books/stationery from. This is because they are quite heavy and the costs of air cargo shipments can be double or even triple what you would be paying if you used sea shipping. The downside is that you would need to give it about 30 days until you receive your stock. All the best in your venture.

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by chiboy11(m): 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2014
Sam dis actually d 1st time in my 8yrs ve been on Nairaland to se Bookshop busines, u realy taken it to d orda side,al d very best
san316:

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by san316(m): 10:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
chiboy11:
Sam dis actually d 1st time in my 8yrs ve been on Nairaland to se Bookshop busines, u realy taken it to d orda side,al d very best
yeah thanks. guess someone must do smfin

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by Ginger81(f): 12:41am On Jun 07, 2015
Hello. How is the bookstore biz going. Hope you started already. I am about to join you. I want to open a used bookstore I have loads of books and comics and trying to add to that stock and make it large enough though I am having serious problems with shipping companies. Did you register with CAC? Let me know how its going

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by americaexporter(f): 2:07am On May 21, 2016
I know this post is old. but if anyone is still interested in books. I have a shipment of about 30,000 books arriving in Nigeria in about a month or so.
www.facebook.com/americaexporter
+234-810-333-9752

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by destiny10: 11:09pm On May 21, 2016
Let me know the types of books, I may be interested.

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by WhyNa: 7:07am On May 22, 2016
destiny10:
Let me know the types of books, I may be interested.

Bro what's your location?

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by cece02: 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2016
Please ooo...I really need help too...am about to quit my job for d same reason and I dunno how to get these goods...I was told to go to Onitsha...add me on whatsapp 08066733513

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Bookshop by cutieme(m): 2:05am On Jul 21, 2020
Nice one

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Your Own Soap/detergent Making Business {free Info} / Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business / Infographics: Analysis Of Quoted Nigerian Banks Financials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.