Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. (3069 Views)

Saudi Arabia Refuses To Grant Flight Permit For Nigerian Arms From Pakistan / Nigeria To Buy Arms From Russia / Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by ochejoseph(m): 8:07pm On Oct 09, 2014
The American government has given insight into why the Nigerian military is facing difficulty procuring arms from the United States to combat the extremist Boko Haram sect wreaking havoc in Nigeria’s North East region.
Nigerian government officials had on September 17 told PREMIUM TIMES that the administration opted for the controversial discreet purchase of arms in South Africa as a desperate measure after the American government allegedly blocked all legitimate arms order made by the military. ‎
Since then, the matter has been extensively reported in the Nigerian media, with some Nigerians accusing the Americans of undermining the country’s war against terrorism.
But in what is the American government’s most elaborate response to the controversy so far, the American Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, said cases of human rights abuses by Nigerian troops in the North-East in the past years have stood out as a sore thumb as the United States considers the Nigerian military’s request for arms.
Mr. Entwistle spoke in Yola, the Adamawa state capital, while answering questions from journalists during a working visit to the American University of Nigeria, AUN.
“Before we share equipment with any country, whether it is a government to government grant or a commercial sale that requires government approval, we look at a couple of things,” the ambassador explained. “Does it make sense in terms of that country’s needs?
The second thing we look at is the human rights situation in that country. And as we look at equipment transfers, we look at the situation in those countries in the past few years. And as you all know, there have been instances (I’m not saying across the board) of human rights abuses by the Nigerian military in the North-East.
“So the kind of question that we have to ask is let’s say we give certain kinds of equipment to Nigerian military that is then used in a way that affects human situation. If I approve that, I’m responsible for that. We take that responsibility very seriously.”
Mr. Entwistle however described as inaccurate claims that the U.S. had completely cut military aid for Nigeria, saying on the contrary, the two countries had continued to share training and equipment.
“Some of the newest vessels in your navy came from the United States. So the idea that the United States does not share equipment with Nigeria across the board is untrue,” he said.
The ambassador promised that the United States would continue to partner and support Nigeria in the war against the Boko Haram insurgency, saying he gave President Goodluck Jonathan that assurance on his arrival to the country a few months ago.
“I had the honour of sitting down and talking to him (President Jonathan). And the first thing I said to him is ‘Mr. President, I want to be very clear, the United States stands with Nigeria on the war on terror’,” he said.
Mr. Entwistle however admonished Nigeria not to think that the war against Boko Haram could be won only by buying hi-tech equipment, saying to achieve result in the campaign, the country must take the welfare of its troops even more seriously.
“I would say as we support the military in the struggle against Boko Haram, obviously equipment is part of the equation but I think it’s more than that,” the ambassador said. “It bothers me when I talk to soldiers in the North-East and they say they are in the frontline with only a few bullets.
“I think what’s more important is the basic needs of soldiers on the field, making sure … they are well trained and they have ammunition for their rifles. If you don’t focus on taking care of welfare of soldiers on the ground, buying hi-tech equipment does not solve anything.”
Before speaking to journalists, the ambassador had addressed staff and students of the American University of Nigeria at an elaborate reception ceremony marked by flag procession and speeches.
In his speech, he commended the university for its support for some of the kidnapped Chibok girls steak and shakewho escaped from their abductors, and for setting up the Adamawa Peace Initiative, which is working to entrench peace and tranquillity in the state.
Also speaking at the event, AUN President, Margee Ensign, said the institution, just 10 years old, is well on its way to becoming Africa’s best development university.
Ms. Ensign said students of the university are trained to understand the challenges facing their country and the world, and develop solutions to them.

Why Nigerian military has difficulty getting arms from America — U.S. govt. https:///2hRrlGrUnU

1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by ochejoseph(m): 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
I Love the US but this level of double standard and outright hypocrisy is driving me crazy

First and foremost I agree that the Nigerian security forces have issues but not to the level where "Gods own country" will choose to side with terrorist burning homes and filming executions.

At least events in Ferguson and other American communities have shown us that brutality is not the exclusive preserve of the Nigerian security forces

To understand the level of hypocrisy you have to take a careful look at the information below

1. Bahrain have the worst rate of human rights abuses in the world,its so bad that any attempt to protest is met by the deployment of tanks and snipers but US just delivered Loads of arms and ammunitions including jets to them and have been doing so for decades

Source
www.propublica.org/article/americas-arms-sales-bahrain-crackdown

2. The US supplies insurgents (good terrorist in the eyes of the US) fighting the Assad regime with weapons and logistics free of charge yet it if refuses to arm a sovereign nation fighting to protect her people from terrorists

www.america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/17/congress-arming-syriarebels.html

3. The US supplies Saudi Arabia yearly with arms running into Billions .

Human rights do not exist in Saudi Arabia , in that country women are treated like property and are not even allowed to drive a simple car

Yet 60 Billion dollars worth of arms were shipped in 2013 alone

www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704621204575488361149625050

The rogue states the US supplies with arms arms are uncountable yet 170 million people are left armless while the Syrian terrorists get armed free of charge !

But Our help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

Psalm 121 vs 2

We shall overcome God willing

God Bless Nigeria

receding hairline

rape hentai
hentai rape
diabetus
teen sex what it destroys
sex teen what it destroys

20 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
H
Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Mamaflex(f): 8:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
Mtcheew!!
Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
Rubbish ,what of eygpt and some countries in the middle east ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by atlwireles: 8:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
So, the ambassador confirmed the Nigeria's government position. Russia will do the needful.

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by gonon: 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
So how do they (US govt) explain arming rebels who kill innocent people? Abi no be them arm Taliban to fight Russia or the Libyan rebels to oust Gadafi? #Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 09, 2014
Damn hypocrites. You sell weapons to countries where women are not even allowed to drive. Where people get their hands amputated for theft. Where it is illegal to build a church or follow another religion. Where elections are unheard of. Hypocrites!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by BlackTechnology: 8:55pm On Oct 09, 2014
Story told by the gods

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2014
What a flimsy excuse by the Americans. Anyone who doesn't know by now that Boko Haram is a tool tamed to disintegrate Nigeria in 2015 is still living in self denial and ignorance.

8 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Frankenstein: 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
Well, Nigeria should stop depending on Western nations.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by seunlayi(m): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2014
[size=28pt] since we overcame Ebola without any help from America, we shall also wipe out boko haram by the grace of God[/size]

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by gunuvi(m): 9:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
i now support gej to not give a damn.
useless terrorists called America

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Leboska(m): 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
I expect Nigeria to know its number one enemy mr president if you can learn from india & china we will be better off.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by BlackTechnology: 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
#InvolveOurHigherInstitutionsInWeaponsDevelopmentAsDICONmassProduce

GEJ do this

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 09, 2014
And some idiots who doesn't understand a dime about national security was jumping up and down when the black op arm purchase failed. They never knows what goes behind the door and they will never know.

To the APC idiots who said America never blocked Nigeria's legit arm purchase wad up?

They think it is all about fighting GEJ, let the opposition and their foreign allys and their supporters continuing what they are doing, when e go set everyone will bear the burnt

America's Government is the world's no 1 threat to world peace and the no 1 hypocrisy in the world.

They sell arms to Ukraine military who dugs massive civilian burial sites, they sell arms to Saudi Arabia the No 1 human right abuser. Maybe their definition of human right is different.

What ever reservation I have in believing that boko haram is america's cia black op is virtually gone.

Is time Nigerian Government shun America because the world is moving away from them, not even their so called close allys are with them in heart and in spirit.

11 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by nigerianvenom(m): 9:48pm On Oct 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:
Damn hypocrites. You sell weapons to countries where women are not even allowed to drive. Where people get their hands amputated for theft. Where it is illegal to build a church or follow another religion. Where elections are unheard of. Hypocrites!!

americans are so unfair and this is bad to our war against insurgency and our enemies
Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by nigerianvenom(m): 9:52pm On Oct 09, 2014
i dont actually blame d americans anyway,rather i blame the opposition,they can go to any length to discredit the government and that is what they've bin doing all along

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2014
hnnnm,
Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by eddyj36(m): 10:40pm On Oct 09, 2014
Nigeria can do away with the US.. China and Russia will accept Us as allies with open arms.. the US is the number 1 enemy of progress in the world.. they take pleasure in distabilizing every corner and then they come up and try to solve the problem they created initial making them look like the hero and ofcourse milking the countries involved of everytin they can lay their hands on.. bloody hypocrites!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by erunz(m): 10:55pm On Oct 09, 2014
My Joy is that the truth is out now and it has justified the government claim. Meaning FG told ur the truth about American not assisting us in our war against insurgents. We have a very irresponsible opposition, who never see any right in the what the government does neither do they have the interest of Nigeria at heart. With what the US ambassador just said, it means the two failed arm deals were legitimate. No matter what happened since no one helped us in defeating Ebola, So also we will defeat #BH b4 2015. I believe in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by F117A: 11:01pm On Oct 09, 2014
And the thing is most are too stupidd to understand what is really going on.
They think the world is just black and white.
They think the world is just APC vs PDP.
Bunch of nincompoops.
If you guys allow insidious foreign interests to destroy your country, you will all bear the brunt.
Ask libya.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
Thank you Mr Whistle or whatever your name is for comfirming what well meaning Nigerians know and have always said, that your country and the opposition party are the worst enemies of Nigeria. Now it's very clear who supports terrorism and who doesn't want it to end in Nigeria but by the collective will of Nigerians and the grace of God you shall be brought down in shame.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 09, 2014
atlwireles:
So, the ambassador confirmed the Nigeria's government position. Russia will do the needful.

Which is what makes me ask why Nigeria isn't purchasing arms from Russia or China. Why on earth did we have to go to South Africa?

Russia still sells arms to the Syrian president Assad - I'm sure the Americans would have blocked such sales if they had the power. What are we doing to explore this option?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by omenka(m): 11:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
seunlayi:
[size=28pt] since we overcame Ebola without any help from America, we shall also wipe out boko haram by the grace of God[/size]
Sensible post.
Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by F117A: 11:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
HNosegbe:

Which is what makes me ask why Nigeria isn't purchasing arms from Russia or China. Why on earth did we have to go to South Africa?

Russia still sells arms to the Syrian president Assad - I'm sure the Americans would have blocked such sales if they had the power. What are we doing to explore this option?
I read somewhere that the ukrainian crises is delaying the arrival of weapons from russia, and so the military had to procure weapons from smaller countries like SA and belarus.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
HNosegbe:

Besides the rhetorics, is Russia willing to sell?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
F117A:
I read somewhere that the ukrainian crises is delaying the arrival of weapons from russia, and so the military had to procure weapons from smaller countries like SA and belarus.

Okay... and the Chinese?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by brownlord1: 11:25pm On Oct 09, 2014
berem:
What a flimsy excuse by the Americans. Anyone who doesn't know by now that Boko Haram is a tool tamed to disintegrate Nigeria in 2015 is still living in self denial and ignorance.

why are you so unstable?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
p
Besides the rhetorics, is Russia willing to sell?

I see no reason why not. One of the reasons why Vladimir Putin refused to align with Obama when he was trying to get Assad out of power is the extremely lucrative arms deal he has with Syria.

Also, with the current Western trade sanctions on Russia, I'm sure they'll be willing to explore as many revenue-generating opportunities as possible. Maybe we haven't pushed hard enough; or maybe there are some other factors at play that we may not be aware of.

Either way, we can't let US hypocrisy stop us.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
USA response is silly. You prefer to give arms freely to "Free Syrian Army" aka "ISIS/ISIL" but you refuse to sell arms to Nigeria Government to fight Boko Haram.

Again, you say that we should provide more arms and ammunitions to our soldiers. How the f.u,c.k do we get more ammunitions to our soldiers when you do not sell to us, and do not allow your so called allies to sell the ammunition to us.

The Christian Gods will punish una with Ebola for these double standards.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Military Has Difficulty Getting Arms From America — U.S. Govt. by jmoore(m): 11:34pm On Oct 09, 2014
We shall overcome Bokoharam without help from USA.

Nigeria is the next world power after China.

One Nigeria!!

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jungle Justices! Suspected Suicide Bomber Burnt Alive By Mob In Gombe [photos] / Breaking News: Biafra Radio Now In Porthacourt / Jonathan Reportedly Has A Second Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.