Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King (9830 Views)

Christians Guard Muslim As They Prayed At NASS / S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G!!! No Igboman On Buhari's Entourage To USA. / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by dekronik: 3:21am On Oct 10, 2014
Imo Community Ruled By A Muslim Monarch
Stanley Uzoaru
— Oct 10, 2014 | Leave a comment
Igbo tribe , no doubt are predominately christians by religion and they chose their leaders as well mostly from the christian faith.

But their exist a community in Igbo land were the traditional ruler is a devoted muslim. That community is the ancient Umuofor kingdom in Oguta Local Government Area of Imo state.

His Royal Highness, Abdul Fatai Chima Emetumah Duru the 3rd and Ofor the 9th of Umuofor autonomous community is the royal father chosen by his community to be their custodian of culture and tradition.

Umuofor is a big community blessed with good people that believe in oneness, agriculture is the main occupation of the people which they often export some of their farm produce to other parts of the state and beyond. Cassava and palm oil are the main export materials.

How Umuofor embraced Islam

In 1970, when Eze Abdul Gafar Ihunanze Duru Emetumah, 2nd, father of the incumbent traditional ruler of Umuofor was converted to Islam, his people who believed in his kindness and generosity followed him. Although he was yet to preside over Umuofor as their king, but in 1977 he eventually became their ruler then under Awa autonomous community comprising of Akabo, Awa and Ejemekwuru.

By the time Eze Abdul Gafar was converted to Islam, his son, the incumbent monarch was just eleven years of age and automatically joined his father with the religion.

Umuofor under the reign of Eze Abdul fatai Chima Emetumah

After inheriting his father’s stool after his death, he continued with the religion as he grew from faith to faith and eventually turban by the late Emir of Kano, Adobayero in November, 1992.

Islam according to the royal father goes beyond the religion of the northerners in the country, he described Islam as a universal religion, personal to the believer which preaches peace and oneness to all.

Umuofor join the world in celebrating Edil Kabir

The celebration of this years’ Edil Kabir was unique in Umuofor kingdom as all the muslim faithful prayed with their royal father at the mosque in the community and subsequently in a procession to the palace of Emetumah the 3rd.

The royal father who also doubled as the chief Imam preached love and unity to his people who gathered at his palace . After listening to their king, they wine and dine with him and left with a gift each by the monarch.

Relationship between christian and Islam worshipers in Umuofor

In spite of the traditional ruler being a muslim, their exists a cordial relationship between christians and muslims in the community . They both derives joy in participating in the festivals of their religions. As a matter of fact the king leads by example as he attend ceremonies he is invited by the three main churches in the community, even sometimes he finds time to worship with the church just opposite his palace. Oguta, the local government area of Umuofor have three central mosque.

What residents say about Islam in the community

An indigene of the community, Abdul Wahab Nwabuihe who said he joined Islam in 1971 and have trained all his ten children including his 13 grand children in the doctrine said they have no qualms with christians in the community. According to him they don’t believe in division as they inter marry and coexists as one.

Another son of the soil, Obed Orumezie who is a christian corroborated the remarks of his muslim brothers and sisters. To him, he does not see anything strange in cooperating with the muslims in the country.

Eze Emetumah’s take on insurgency in the nation

He believes those hiding under the cloak of Islam to perpetrate evil in the country are not of Islam. The Insurgency , he believes is the handiwork of some selfish politicians in the country, he advised politicians to see politics as a sport were a looser embraces the victor.

Challenges in Umuofor

One of the major challenges of the community according to the royal father is the absence of a health centre. The only functioning health centre in the community is the one he donated his building for the care of those who need the services. He appealed to the state government to assist them in building a befitting health centre in the community.

www.leadership.ng/features/386575/imo-community-ruled-muslim-monarch

6 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by dekronik: 5:57am On Oct 11, 2014
Can the Mods please tell me why I was banned for creating this thread?
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by donpope1(m): 6:12am On Oct 11, 2014
Does it change anything
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 11, 2014
Its Good. Am a christian from Enugu and a religious tolerant person.

4 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Imoy(m): 7:31am On Oct 11, 2014
OP. Hmmmm
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by chymystique(f): 7:50am On Oct 11, 2014

1) This is stale news

2) Pls address him as a "Sheikh" and not Eze

3) Am just wondering what you hope to gain by creating this thread.

If you are waiting for criticism you are wasting your time because the man is a very nice man including his heir apparent and his fellow community members are not complaining..

@ op, I pray they bann you again.. Nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by azyaq(m): 8:02am On Oct 11, 2014
ALLAHUAKBAR ISLAM IS PEACE. HATERS GO TO HELL

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by lightheart(m): 8:07am On Oct 11, 2014
Strange.

These two posters above me sha. Bugs dey una bed? grin
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by ofala(m): 9:15am On Oct 11, 2014
Nice...I just pray that our brothers in the North will have such open mind to let people practise whatever religion they desire and still retain all legitimate positions they could without molestation

8 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by SEYIKP(m): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2014
There's this hypothesis, that islam will have is way to the south through the power of money.How through will this be, only time will tell.
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by VirginFinder: 9:48am On Oct 11, 2014
I dont think any muslim Yoruba traditional has ever been turbanned by a northerner.

Why are Igbos so desperate for the aboki's asssss?

No amount of money will ever make a Yoruba man change his religion.

1 Like

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 11, 2014
Folks in southern nigeria are very tolerant,in the south east as long as you don't eat yam before new yam festival, and you don't kill the "python" of the "python sacred" communities, you ain't a "homo" and you don't commit incest...you are good to go ....If you like worship anything , no one gives 2 F's about what you do.... No one kills you because of some ish in denmark, i've only heard about reprisals attacks in few places

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Obinoscopy(m): 11:20am On Oct 11, 2014
dekronik:
Can the Mods please tell me why I was banned for creating this thread?
It's an erroneous ban by the spambot. Apologies.
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 11, 2014
This story reminds me of the Nigeria i used to know and gives me hope of the Nigeria i long for.
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by waternogetenemy: 11:36am On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:
This story reminds me of the Nigeria i used to know and gives me hope of the Nigeria i long for.

wat Nigeria is dat? Southwest yoruba Nigeria? Now get dis into ur empty head, I said it before and will reiterate, there is no place for Islam in the east. If they like, let them pay Peter Obi to answer shecow, Igbos remain Christians untill Christ come again.

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

wat Nigeria is dat? Southwest yoruba Nigeria? Now get dis into ur empty head, I said it before and will reiterate, there is no place for Islam in the east. If they like, let them pay Peter Obi to answer shecow, Igbos remain Christians untill Christ come again.
Did you read my signature before quoting me? Please move along boy.

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by stan241(m): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

ol boy u dull sha...I doubt uve had breakfast dis morning now run along

5 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by simpleseyi: 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

Sorry, I am posting with my friend's I'd. Please when is Jesus coming? This story of Jesus coming back soon has been going round for more than 2000 years. Does soon means one million years? This story is looking more and more like fallacy.

2 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by amakufrancis(m): 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
abavo in ika south, their Obi is a devoted muslim. I think is nothing new.

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 12:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
chimoz:
Its Good. Am a christian from Enugu and a religious tolerant person.
Don't let thunder fire that ur stinking mouth
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

how you go come here dey speak for the southeast? Who you be ?
Why can't you respond politely?
What do you mean by "Southwest" is that the rude you talking or the illiterate you?
Before you play the tribal card , i have igbo roots, born and bred..stop insulting people...
Glo go just dash you free data , you go dey do anyhow

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 12:19pm On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

Only sensible post on this thread yet

3 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by Soloter(m): 12:22pm On Oct 11, 2014
Wherever they are numerically disadvantaged, they preach and practice "peace". You see the other side of this religion symbolised by SWORD anywhere they are more than others. Bunch of hypocrites.

7 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by waternogetenemy: 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2014
Soloter:
Wherever they are numerically disadvantaged, they preach and practice "peace". You see the other side of this religion symbolised by SWORD anywhere they are more than others. Bunch of hypocrites.

Gbam!
Mrkuvuki:
Folks in southern nigeria are very tolerant,in the south east as long as you don't eat yam before new yam festival, and you don't kill the "python" of the "python sacred" communities, you ain't a "homo" and you don't commit incest...you are good to go ....If you like worship anything , no one gives 2 F's about what you do.... No one kills you because of some ish in denmark, i've only heard about reprisals attacks in few places

ur still a child in the realm of politics, so i will let u off this time, try me again.

Obiagelli:

Did you read my signature before quoting me? Please move along boy.
please!

old hag marauding along the politics section.

stan241:
ol boy u dull sha...I doubt uve had breakfast dis morning now run along

light weight come harder!

2 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2014
I couldn't even finish reading the whole article, before anger took over me, with the amount of boiling going through me I would've strangled any muslin on my sight, though, thank God there's was none.

If things continue this way unabated, some imo indigens will betray the unity & oneness of igbo tribe by introducing alien traditions & culture to igbo land. The unity of igbos & our core cultural values in igboland is at great risk by the infiltration of Arabic culture, called islam into our serene & highly revered land.

I'm dumbfounded that a whole traditional stool is allowed to be desecrated by a bastard muslim.....aru emee. Well, let them continue to hobnob with abooki-fulani Muslim, sooner than latter the echoes of the demand of sharia law will be heard from that axis with the subsequent suicide bombing.

1 Like

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by waternogetenemy: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
thewarrior72:
Only sensible post on this thread yet

Nwanne, na so oh!

Somebody have to set the record straight, b4 ihe madu awu ihe onye ozor. . As the poster above made clear, they preach peace when they are in the minority but wield sword wen they gain ground and are the majority.

The last thing Ndiigbo want is a situation boko haram will be harboured/rooted in alaigbo. Islam is a no no...

2 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2014
VirginFinder:
I dont think any muslim Yoruba traditional has ever been turbanned by a northerner.

Why are Igbos so desperate for the aboki's asssss?

No amount of money will ever make a Yoruba man change his religion.
Damn....what the hell are you on about?
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by waternogetenemy: 1:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
thewarrior72:
Damn....what the hell are you on about?

Okorocha desperation knows no boundS. The political muslim is from the orlu axis of oguta.

Okorocha must not get past 2015, APGA must reclaim Imo or better yet PDP.
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by WIZGUY69(m): 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2014
GOOD.
Abokis, molesting our southeastern brothers since 56BC
cool

2 Likes

Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
waternogetenemy:

Nwanne, na so oh!

Somebody have to set the record straight, b4 ihe madu awu ihe onye ozor. . As the poster above made clear, they preach peace when they are in the minority but wield sword wen they gain ground and are the majority.

The last thing Ndiigbo want is a situation boko haram will be harboured/rooted in alaigbo. Islam is a no no...
It is only a fool that believe that there will be peace wherever Islam & muslim thrive
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by thewarrior72: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2014
simpleseyi:

Sorry, I am posting with my friend's I'd. Please when is Jesus coming? This story of Jesus coming back soon has been going round for more than 2000 years. Does soon means one million years? This story is looking more and more like fallacy.
Irredeemable slave.....
Re: S H O C K I N G: A Town In Imo State Has A Muslim As King by swtdrms(m): 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ndi igbo, make una take am easy na...what if islam were to take over all the parts of igbo land what would u do? React with violence and the same type of killing wch we hv bn condenming boko haram for? Peace co-existence shd always b our ultimate goal, like i used to ask myself, had there bn any interreligious violence in d history of this country prior to when democracy came in? i want some1 to give m an answer with year and details of such violence....majority of all these contemporary religious violence are purely political and nothing more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Residents Lament Absence Of Infrastructure (Fashola's Projects Sinks) / Almost All Names of Igbo Villages And Towns Can Be Found In The Bible -See Proof / Abubakar Malami Denies NDDC Bribe Allegation, Calls For Exposure Of Culprits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.