Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Politics Of Tribe And Religion Is Equivalent To Mediocrity By Alvin Hustle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Of Tribe And Religion Is Equivalent To Mediocrity By Alvin Hustle (846 Views)

The Issue Of Tribe In This Election And Jimi Agbaje / Buhari's Certificate Is Equivalent To A Master's Degree - Sagay / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Politics Of Tribe And Religion Is Equivalent To Mediocrity By Alvin Hustle by AK481(m): 11:49am On Oct 10, 2014
It surprises me the sustained overwhelming support Pres. Jonathan maintains in South East Nigeria and among South Easterners nationwide, despite the lack of federal presence in the region. There are practically few left in good condition federal infrastructures working in the South East, the federal roads are the worst hit; Enugu-Port Harcourt road, Enugu-Onitsha road, Port Harcourt-Owerri road, Enugu-Benue road, among others. The few left good roads include Onitsha-Owerri road and Enugu-Abakiliki road. Roads are the least elementary needs a Government can provide.

We remember the news of how all Governors of the South East exlcuding Imo, trooped to Onitsha to mark the commissioning of the second Niger Bridge, a bridge I learnt is less than 4km or there about, a bridge that is built as a concessionary; implying that the bridge will be tolled for at least 15yrs after completion. Meanwhile state Governments in Lagos and Akwa Ibom have funded and built longer bridges with lot less marked commissioning ceremonies, and with no tolling.

All federal structures in the South East besides the CBN and FIRS are old or dilapidated or badly maintained. Federal water projects are history in the region, the dredging of the Niger River to enable the creation of a port in the South East is also history, and Federal Government is not doing much to encourage the industrialisation of Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi, despite the productivity these places are internationally recognised for, even if it means spuring the under-performing State Governments to do so.

Fact is that the Azikiwe and Ebele in the list of Pres. Jonathan's names, as well as his being a Christian is mostly all that works for him in the South East, and with all due respect this is pitiable. It also explains why he is doing little in the region because he is sure to secure over 95% of South East votes in 2015 as he did in 2011. The South East Governors are not helping issues, Martins Elechi and Theodre Orji are doing nothing more than occupying Government houses and sharing federal allocations, but the Federal Government cares less because they belong to the same party and have thrown resources and time to re-electing Pres. Jonathan in 2015.

With all the exposure and education prevalent in South East Nigeria, as well as the wealth and enterpreneural spirit, mediocrity still reigns supreme, I mean no insult but this is indeed pitiable. I am not campaigning for Atiku, Buhari or Kwankwaso, all I am asking is that South Easterners demand more from Pres. Jonathan, his support there should be under threat if he does not reverse the status of federal presence in the region

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Youths Endorses Otunba Yemi Taiwo For Second Term. / If Buhari Win, I Will Run Out To Sri Lanka / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.