Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,056 members, 7,956,947 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:27 PM

OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders (984 Views)

Photo Of Muslim Man Dressed In 'father Christmas' Outfit Praying Gone Viral / OPINION: Why Is CNN Such Hypocrites? / Opinion: Why I'll Always Prefer Nairaland Over Linda Ikeji's Blog And The Likes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by oluamid(m): 2:16pm On Oct 10, 2014
Are You A Muslim?
"I believe that there no god/God but Allah."
"I believe that Muhammad is God's Holy Prophet."
"I believe that Islam is the Only True Religion."
"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh."
Yes, I'm Muslim and believe all of the aboveNo
(The above declaration will be posted on your profile if you click "yes"wink

The above was what I saw when I wanted to make a comment on a thread earlier and when I clicked "No" I was re-directed to Nairaland's homepage. Now, I'll not pretend not to have any idea of the need for this kind of caveat in a "muslim" thread yet I think it is rather uncalled for.

It smacks of religious profiling and such. I mean, there are lot of Nairaland muslims who wouldn't necessarily want their religious affiliations to be made public before they can comment on a post. If anything, it will further discourage many muslims (who are already suffering from online persecution) from identifying with Islam on Nairaland if they have to be tagged a Muslim on their profile for the whole world to see.

In addition, it is not every non-muslim that is abusive or loath Islam. Disallowing non-muslims from commenting on a muslim thread except they agree to the shahadah is not the way to eliminate abuse or silly comments, after all, there are many threads about Islam that is not in the Muslim section where muslims and Islam can still be abused.

Finally, I think this step will further mystify Islam for non-muslims. There are many people who would like to learn about Islam from muslims or have one or two things to say about a post, how do they do that if they have to accept "this condition" before they are allowed to comment?

Your opinions/views are welcomed.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by tpiah2: 3:19pm On Oct 10, 2014
not so much profiling as fencing them in.

well, i suppose they know what they're doing.
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 10, 2014
My dear thank u o, I tot I was d only one dat saw it I wanted to discuss it but I decided to kip quiet, I also wanted to go dere to wish all my muslim friends esp sameer1212 happy sallah next thing dem bounce me.
Anyway I can only say nawaaaaa
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by spanzed(m): 4:06pm On Oct 10, 2014
OP I agree with you...That's why I mind my business when it comes to muslim thread...let's stop dis religion discirmination it would do more harm than Good...Thanks
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
rozzay:
My dear thank u o, I tot I was d only one dat saw it I wanted to discuss it but I decided to kip quiet, I also wanted to go dere to wish all my muslim friends esp sameer1212 happy sallah next thing dem bounce me.
Anyway I can only say nawaaaaa
lolz.eyyah, nt that i bounce u my dear. uno i cant do that to u because u r alwys close to my hrt. i ws busy during d festive period thats y. am sorryyyyyyyyyy.......
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
ops nice one,that is y is nt every one i chart with on nairaland here because some pple r jst worse than animals d way they attack somes once religion. do urs n let me do mine...though i took it as frustration, poverty n hunger dat is causing it to them.
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2014
Seriously its uncalled for. Well, that was what the muslims where protesting for. So they have their reasons.
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
sameer1212:
lolz.eyyah, nt that i bounce u my dear. uno i cant do that to u because u r alwys close to my hrt. i ws busy during d festive period thats y. am sorryyyyyyyyyy.......
Sammy not u oooh, its ur muslim thread dey didn't let us comment
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Canme4u(m): 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2014
@op as a true Muslim, why would I not want people to know the Religion am practicing? If thats your reason to justify adding Sahadatu an Lah Ilaha Ilah Allah then, it is not a genue reason. If you don't want the terms and condition guiding the Islamic related thread you might as well ignore such thread. As there is no cumpulsion in religion so does the commenting on Islamic thread.
And for those who justify it with not been able to send greetings to their NL Muslim, if you really want to send greetings, why not just send it from another thread and mention your friend's name.

#Salam (Peace)
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by oluamid(m): 5:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
missberrypop5:
Seriously its uncalled for. Well, that was what the muslims where protesting for. So they have their reasons.

I agree that they suffer a lot of abuse but then fencing/profiling is not the way to solve the problem.
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
rozzay:

ok. oya forgive dem all dear...
rozzay:

rozzay:

Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
sameer1212:
Ok dear, so how r u
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Canme4u(m): 6:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
Crazy spam bot. Brb
Re: OPINION: Why There Shouldn't Be Profiling Of Muslim Nairalanders by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
rozzay:

Ok dear, so how r u
i am fine, hw abt u n uche?

(1) (Reply)

Top 50 Languages In The World / 15 Serious Problems, Simple Solutions To Them. / Where Does Nairaland "Share" Button Share To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.