Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,432 members, 7,850,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:08 AM

10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 (1311 Views)

if you dont know any of these, you shouldn't be discussing nigerian politics / R-E-V-E-A-L-E-D: Real Reasons Jonathan Conceded Defeat / R-E-V-E-A-L-E-D: Real Reasons Jonathan Conceded Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by gr8naija2015: 2:17pm On Oct 10, 2014
Preamble:
I have observed that in any popular forum nowadays, there is an 'army' whose objective is to crowd out the voice of anyone who dares to write against their principle. This is not new. For the observant, the same tactic was used by Madam Akunyili (of blessed memory) when she took over the Ministry of Information and commenced the new Nigerian Image expedition.

What these 'foot soldiers' fail to realize is that,you may ignore the facts but in time the facts would speak for themselves. So to those who would attack this write-up without taking to intellectual consideration the facts inherent in it, I thank you ahead (you helped this piece make it to the front page) grin cheesy wink but for those who have the interest of this 'crawling' giant at heart and are interested in a political discourse void of ethnicity and religion, you are most welcome to share your thoughts. Now to the main issue at hand:

10 reasons Jonathan shouldn't be president:
1) He has weakened the Nigerian presidency considerably:
There was a time in Africa, when the Nigerian president sneezes, others catch cold. There was a time and not too long ago, in this country that Nigerian presidents single-handedly resolved thorny internal crises in other West African countries. Nowadays, even the countries whose entire military can't face a single Nigerian battalion nor whose economy is not as large as that of my father's home state begin to publicly pour opprobrium on our country, when you hear Presidents like Museveni, Mugabe begin to cast aspersions on our country and the only response from our president is a slap on the wrist, I shudder at what would happen to our country if we continue with this set of leaders post-2015.

Internally, it is on record that this presidency has lost shown less political tact than all its democratic predecessors. As much I don't believe any more that President Jonathan is clueless about what he wants i.e. the presidency, I believe that this country has suffered enough in the hands of people whose vision is get into power and stay into power and 2015 gives us all an opportunity to change all of that.

I still have nine reasons more to go but to round off on this, I want to ask a question that any average Nigerian maybe asking: Is there hope for the better in this country. My answer is simply Yes there is if we do our part and trust God to do His part.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by lomaxx: 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
At this point, I would advise you to discontinue this brand of weed you're smoking. It's not good for your brain.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Lordlexyy: 3:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
The many sins and malfunctions of the pdp led gov't are numerious to mention. Just when you thought you have seen it all, another one pop up. I must salute defenders, supporters and sympathisers alike, i don't envy your job at all. It's really not easy coming up with twists and turn stories to counter your perceived opponents. Op, hope you will survive the onslaught when the gang of herd come feasting on you. Wish you luck.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by MrTeymee(m): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2014
I'm with the Op on this one.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by egift(m): 3:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
Please I have a question, can you help with an answer?

How many Billions of Naira will a president steal before he can go to Prison?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Canme4u(m): 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2014
Modified.

I would be back to read the post.

@op u are on point. Lets have the remaining 9 reasons why we must resist all the cluelessness come 2015.

I dey gbadun you bro, pls ride on.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 10, 2014
Lordlexyy:
The many sins and malfunctions of the pdp led gov't are numerious to mention. Just when you thought you have seen it all, another one pop up. I must salute defenders, supporters and sympathisers alike, i don't envy your job at all. It's really not easy coming up with twists and turn stories to counter your perceived opponents. Op, hope you will survive the onslaught when the gang of herd come feasting on you. Wish you luck.
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by KriTic24A: 6:53pm On Oct 10, 2014
egift:
Please I have a question, can you help with an answer?

How many Billions of Naira will a president steal before he can go to Prison?

Good question.
As it was in the past.....

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by FastShipping: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2014
lomaxx:
At this point, I would advise you to discontinue this brand of weed you're smoking. It's not good for your brain.

What stopped you from countering the op with reasons why Jonathan should continue as president instead of the gibberish you posted?
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by gr8naija2015: 11:19pm On Oct 10, 2014
2) Corruption under this presidency has reached unprecedented heights:
Where do I start on this one? This presidency is so corrupt that it simply beats ones imagination the level of their corruption. Sorry to say but this presidency has lost all sense of decorum when it comes to corruption, it seems the masters in Aso Rock are bent on running this nation to the ground financially before they leave.

For a president that he said he didn't have shoes when he was contesting in 2011 to be rated the 6th richest president in Africa just a few days ago leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. While millions of Nigerians are losing their lives because they can simply not afford to pay for their meals, this presidency is busy flying $9.3m, in a traveling bags, through South Africa for unknown reasons. Unfortunately, time is not on our side. A few pointers to the signs of time would suffice:

- Within the last 6 years all our universities have embarked on strike for one reason or the other. In a generation where Information is the key ingredient for national prosperity, it is sad to say that this presidency has created a generation of graduates who are economically disadvantaged right from school because they lack useful information.

- Within the last 6 years almost all major banks have had to reduce their staff strength due to the economic and financial constraints.

- The manufacturing sector has remained comatose due to poor power supply.

- Even the used-to-be buoyant Oil industry is beginning to feel the strain of the misfortunes of the economy. Shell and Chevron have had to reduce their staff strength within the last few years, ConocoPhillips have had to sell their business in Nigeria and move to other countries.

What concerns me the most is that the oil industry is entering one of its most challenging stage in the history of this country because aside from the unprecedented increase in oil theft (another 'gift' bequeathed on us by this presidency), most of the oil wells have begun to produce only natural gas and you cannot compare the profit from Oil with that of gas. The price of gas is simply too low to be compared with oil which means, our country must begin to prepare itself for a sharp drop in government earnings which would likely last for a long time. With this presidency's penchant for uncontrolled borrowing and the expected devaluation of the naira in the next couple of months, we really need to take our collective destiny in our hands and the first step is to choose a leader that has a clear vision that would transform this country.

for those who are wondering, I am not a politician neither do I have any political ambition. I am just a concerned citizen and a father who is very concerned about what the future holds for his children. I still have 8 more reasons to go. Stay tuned.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Ediskcab(m): 12:17am On Oct 11, 2014
Words of an elder.
I donn click follow sharp-sharp
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Papertrail11(m): 12:53am On Oct 11, 2014
Inmy own opi jonapan has failed in the economic side big tyme gone are d days where as a nigerian you can eat comfortably with 100 but now hian companies cutting staff and loss in earnings because dey cant cope with d current economic realities even as a nigerian boy in lagos then where every saturday na party for one stret or the other money spraying and joyous moments bjt now nigerians look unhappy and dull

I was watching Bloomberg yday evening as they were evaluating nigerias fall in stock market 25percent fall even depreciation of the naira...no wonder yahoo boys seem happier in the western union section of d banks

and d corruption side why jonathan cant touch anybody's is because the cabals dat gave him 25bn in 201 1 are recoupin g they're profit back with deir northern agents maina et al......

on d security aspect if Jonathan wants d girls back he should go and employ our traditional hunters and our jazz pple to find and locate shekawu and d girls and give them suprise style in gun battle

here is my 2piece nigerians abeg lets use our head 2015 once beaten is not 17tyme shy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by gr8naija2015: 8:53pm On Oct 15, 2014
3) As a president, he has gone the extra mile of stifling commonsense: Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy. I hope to finish up this write-up soon. Back to the issue at hand:

Every Nigerian president, whether civilian or military, have treated every opposition with contempt. Over the years, they have used all kinds of methods to silence any form of opposition. It became so bad under the Abacha regime when killer squads were dispatched to assassinate anyone who was perceived to be a threat to the General Abacha's regime.

However, under the current regime, while there has been lesser reported cases of political assassinations and such, this regime is no better than its predecessors, rather than use the goodwill it had at the beginning to build a stronger nation, it would probably go down as the most progressive-averse in our recent history. What exactly do I mean? The regime simply hates the truth!

When I look at the way this regime makes policies, it simply baffles me that it seems members of this cabinet think Nigerians don't think. Look at the fuel subsidy crises of Jan 2012, who in their right senses would hike up fuel prices to by such a high margin unless the leadership wants to take its follower ship for a ride. Look at the recent $15m scandal, Nigerians are asking for an explanation but be sure about none is forthcoming, rather what we see happening is a regime trying to arm-twist another to have its way. Since the time they announced the sale of PHCN, power has only gotten worse. I can go on and on.

But the truth is that at the end of the day, we all have ourselves to blame if we don't choose right leaders in 2015

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Kayceo2010: 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Kayceo2010: 10:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hehehe... It have been said before time. A great party shall arise and shake Nigeria and the current ruling party..(actually seeing it happening) But, says the Lord.. They will scatter as most of them will go back to the ruling party before the election.. Am just laughing at all these political hullabaloo.. Sorry APC, PDP is going to win 2015 elections. Am sorry
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by gr8naijaplus: 11:01pm On Nov 16, 2014
Wow! Thought I would never come back to this!!! Now that I am able to get back to Nairaland, let's continue.

4) Power supply has worsened: When this government announced the privatization of the power section, I was amongst those who thought that at least Nigerians would have something to rejoice about this administration. However, my relief was short-lived. Why? Simply looking at the shadowy manner the bidding for the distribution companies was done and the fact that ALL (not most) of the new owners of NEPA had little or no technical know-how of such unbundled power companies are operated. While it is on record that the new owners partnered with technical companies who supposedly know about energy companies and how they operate, one of the basic rules of investment is that an investor doesn't invest in what they don't at least have a basic understanding of. Another thought that comes to mind is that of all the power companies in the world, Nigeria, with a population of over 170m people, could not attract one of them. That in itself is disturbing.

That aside, since the transfer to the new owners, have we as a nation really enjoyed increased power supply? In my area, it has been a case of the more you look, the less you see. The only time people really enjoy power supply is when PHCN officials want to come around to collect PHCN bills, the following week, the supply goes back to status quo. I laughed some months ago when a pdp chieftain said on national TV that in his locality they have almost 24 hrs power supply. It seems this government has become so cut off of reality that they no longer know where truth ends and falsehood begins

5) Increased unemployment: There has been too many people losing their jobs within the last 6 years. Virtually all key industries have had to cut jobs. Even industries which used to be seen as safe havens of employment are now experiencing so much economic/financial pressure that to survive they just have to let go of some of their members of staff. The fact that the big players in the Oil and Gas sector have to reduce their staff should be a warning that all is not uhuru and all this before the oil price went into free fall. Shell, Chevron, exxon mobil have all had to sell off part of their portfolio and this government has remained mum as if all is well. The question is why is all this happening and the answer is simple, the corruption in Nigeria today is making the environment less and less attractive to investors. While corruption is not new to our country (we are currently ranked the 33rd most corrupt country in the world and the 14th in Africa), corruption right now has simply gone haywire in this country.

6) Strikes, strikes and more strikes: Under this government, I can't remember a single sector that has not gone on strike. Isn't it just embarrassing that our dear president who is a PhD holder watched helplessly for months while the education sector was grounded by a needless ASUU strike. At a time when countries are increasing their investments in education, we are yet to find a solution to the decay in our educational system. I want a government who has a plan for how the future generations of this country would be educated and I don't think this government has convinced any one that it is that government. I read recently that ASUU is gearing up for another strike, I hope it is a rumor.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 17, 2014
lomaxx:
You are not being objective.
Re: 10 Reasons Jonathan Shouldn't Be President In 2015 by naijadafuture: 11:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
7) Under his watch, religion and ethnicity has increased: To be factual, ethnicity and religion has always been tools in the hand of our politicians to manipulate the people but I am amazed that the dimension this has taken in the last few months. I believe President Jonathan coming from a minority group in Nigeria had the golden chance to show to Nigerians and by extension that the minorities have the mental sagacity and prudence to precede over the issues of this country and forge a better destiny for the country unfortunately he squandered the opportunity through the promotion of ethnic and religious sentiments over justice and simple common sense. It is only a country like ours would leader would oversee the unthinkable waste of the resources meant for his generation and the next and yet go to churches to receive 'blessings'. In other countries, he would have been resigned or have been kicked out of office for gross irresponsibility.

cool Under his watch the economy is dying: I know some people would tout the economic re basing of Nigeria's economy as an achievement but I beg to disagree because what is the point of having the largest economy in Africa when your people are suffering? What is the point of having a large economy when the naira is losing value and people are losing their jobs at an alarming rate?

9) This presidency has shown it lacks the capacity to govern even the minutest unit of a society, the presidents family: Yorubas have a saying that if a man promises to buy you clothes, take a look at what he is wearing because it would be foolish to expect something better than what he has on. Our president's household leaves a lot to be desired. In countries where things are done properly, first ladies are known as silent power brokers but time and time again, our president's wife has thrown decency into the air and has brought more than enough shame to our sensibilities. Where in the world does a first lady send elected officers on errands like house helps. It is rumored (I am trying hard to believe otherwise but from antecedents I can't put this beyond this presidency) that to satisfy the evil appetite of the first lady, a government agency had to dole out N3bn and now that agency cannot pay salaries. If not for the uncouthness of the first lady, Rivers state would be at peace now. People are dying because of her unbridled hunger for power. These are just examples that come to mind. What of the "daaris god" embarrassment she unleashed on us all after the Chibok girls scandal?

10) Lastly, this presidency lacks vision: As far as vision is concerned this presidency has none. If in 6 years, this is all the government and those 6 years are the most prosperous Nigeria has had in recent times and this is all they can achieve, I wonder what they can do in the next 4 years when Nigeria would be entering one of its most challenging times. The crude price is still going to be unstable till the middle of next year from all indications and Boko Haram is not going to go away anytime soon even with all the effort of the military because their financial backers are still on the loose. This poses a great danger because “Where there is no vision, the people perish”.

So my 2 cent advice is that let's seize the opportunity God has given us to send out a loud message both for the current occupants of Aso Rock and those who wish to occupy its hallowed chambers that power belongs to the people by voting out this presidency.

God Bless Nigeria, God bless those who genuinely love this country and God bless every man and woman who, without political affiliations and religious sentiment, can speak out for justice and the truth.

(1) (Reply)

Ihedioha, Governors, Others Tear-gassed At PDP Secretariat / Photos: Buhari's People Compare Declaration Crowd Between GEJ And Buhari / Okorocha: Igbo People Have No Place In PDP Led Governemnt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.