Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,880 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Organic Chemistry Only!!! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Organic Chemistry Only!!! (10448 Views)

If You Think You Know Organic Chemistry Open. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering / "Ababio" Chemistry Textbook - Osei Yaw Ababio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 2:04am On Oct 11, 2014
hatux:
@ Chimhigher' nice post there.. But I have a problem here, not me though... I have a brother who is a commercial student but already graduated from senior secondary school but wants to further to the university to study computer science which its a science course, but he was told to apply for neco and add both physics and chemistry to the subjects he's gonna seat for... Now, the question I wanna ask is, can he pass those subjects 'physics and chemistry? If truly he reads textbooks of both subjects.. Waiting for your reply and thanking you in advance..
it is impossible. He has to go for tutorials,even if it's just for 6 weeks.
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 11, 2014
A = Pyrrole ring
B = Porphine
C = protoporphyrin

Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by hatux: 6:05am On Oct 11, 2014
benromeo39:
it is impossible. He has to go for tutorials,even if it's just for 6 weeks.
Why is it impossible ma'am?
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by beatsbyj2g(m): 8:39am On Oct 11, 2014
Nice thread for those dat love chemistry
FYI: ALL D FOLLOWING DEFINITION ARE PLAIN AND EASY TO GET DEFINITION AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN FORMAL EXAMS LIKE WAEC.

Let's start with
HOMOLOGOUS SERIES; an homologous series is a family of organic chemistry in which all d successive members differ from d other by -Ch2
For example d alkane family
Methane Ch4
Ethane C2h6
Propane. C3h8
Butane. C4h10
From d above we've seen dat every new member in d family is different from d one b4 it. By Ch2

Classwork; write d structural formula of pentane, hexane, heptane, .............,dectane .

Other families are alkene, alkyne etc.
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by beatsbyj2g(m): 8:42am On Oct 11, 2014
hatux:
it is not impossible we are just saying doing it on his own might take 3yrs to understand fully. He can make it faster with d use of a catalist (I.e tutorial classes)
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by hatux: 9:01am On Oct 11, 2014
beatsbyj2g:
it is not impossible we are just saying doing it on his own might take 3yrs to understand fully. He can make it faster with d use of a catalist (I.e tutorial classes)
Okay boss, what you mean now is that without tutorial classes, he won't be able to comprehend fully?
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nnewi1stSon: 9:06am On Oct 11, 2014
beatsbyj2g:
Nice thread for those dat love chemistry
FYI: ALL D FOLLOWING DEFINITION ARE PLAIN AND EASY TO GET DEFINITION AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN FORMAL EXAMS LIKE WAEC.

Let's start with
HOMOLOGOUS SERIES; an homologous series is a family of organic chemistry in which all d successive members differ from d other by -Ch2
For example d alkane family
Methane Ch4
Ethane C2h6
Propane. C3h8
Butane. C4h10
From d above we've seen dat every new member in d family is different from d one b4 it. By Ch2

Classwork; write d structural formula of pentane, hexane, heptane, .............,dectane .

Other families are alkene, alkyne etc.
This is a joke right? grin

1 Like

Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by beatsbyj2g(m): 9:16am On Oct 11, 2014
Nnewi1stSon:
This is a joke right? grin
Lolz classwork makes us beta learners. But it was a joke
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by beatsbyj2g(m): 9:18am On Oct 11, 2014
hatux:
Okay boss, what you mean now is that without tutorial classes, he won't be able to comprehend fully?
correct. Becoz if he is planning on writing jamb he needs to be fast and furious
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by hatux: 9:21am On Oct 11, 2014
beatsbyj2g:
correct. Becoz if he is planning on writing jamb he needs to be fast and furious
He actually wants to write jamb, and this dude am talking bout want to study computer science, how's he gonna cope?
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Presbulg(m): 9:27am On Oct 11, 2014
Dominionng:
Nice one..

I'd tell you a chemistry joke though, but all the good ones Argon.

You know chemistry jokes always get mixed reactions
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by beatsbyj2g(m): 9:30am On Oct 11, 2014
hatux:
He actually wants to write jamb, and this dude am talking bout want to study computer science, how's he gonna cope?
he needs to
1. Cover jamb syllabus once every 2 month till Feb
2. Study past questions jamb &waec
3. stop visiting nairaland till he's exams are over.

With dis he can even get 250 in jamb
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 11, 2014
hatux:
because they are subjects he can't understand alone without proper guidance. He needs tutorials.
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Joshpet1(m): 10:55am On Oct 11, 2014
someone should help!!!
need an answer (photos of d solution )
Ozonolysis of a compound A gave two compounds B and C. The two compounds were reacted with methyl magnesium iodide. B gave a tertiary alcohol D (3-methyl pentan -3-ol ) while C gave (pentan -2-ol ).starting from the final products identify B, C and A.
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Geofavor(m): 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2014
Hi, everybody... I'm new here, nd i like what i'm seeing here.. I'm also going to write the upcoming jamb..
Pls, Can anyone help me with the syllabus for

* english
*mathematics
*physics
*chemistry
smiley
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by SMALLPENIS(f): 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2014
Geofavor , I think I know you
are you favour omotoso ?
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by SMALLPENIS(f): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2014

Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Geofavor(m): 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2014
SMALLPENIS:
Geofavor , I think I know you
are you favour omotoso ?
no i'm not... I'm a male
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by SMALLPENIS(f): 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
Teacher SP in the house. chimhigher , sorry for not showing yesterday, was pretty busy.
my first class, so excited grin

Octane Rating

Octane Rating is the standard measure of the performance of a petrol in an internal combustion engine.
Fuels with higher octane ratings are used in high performance petrol engines, while poor quality fuels would explode prematurely causing knocking if used in a high performance engine.

Knocking
In a normal spark-ignition engine, the air-fuel mixture is heated due to being compressed and is then triggered to burn slowly by the spark plug and ignition system. If it is heated and/or compressed too much, then it will explode
when triggered (detonate), or even self-ignite before the ignition system sparks. This causes much higher pressures than
engine components are designed for and can cause a "knocking" sound. Knocking can cause major engine damage if severe.
Today, we have knock sensors to check if a fuel being used would cause knocking.

The octane number of a fuel is the percentage of iso octanes mixed with heptanes which has the same knocking/pinging characteristics as the fuel when comparisons are made in a standard engine.
The octane number/rating of a fuel can be increased by the presence of branched chain hydrocarbons and aromatic compounds.
Ethanol and Methanol when added to some petrols improve their performance.

TO BE CONTINUED...BATTERY LOW

1 Like

Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by SMALLPENIS(f): 1:25pm On Oct 11, 2014
chimhigher, we have another teacher now making three; me, you and beatsbyj2g grin
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by nwaobitex: 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2014
Warris diz
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by thinezy(f): 6:27pm On Oct 11, 2014
ikeola6:
Are u a chemistry student?
yea chemistry education tho
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by thinezy(f): 6:31pm On Oct 11, 2014
JayEye:

And you con fall your hand shocked

That awkward moment ... cool
dat fall hand no be here ooo
na made in japan
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by thinezy(f): 6:34pm On Oct 11, 2014
Brinebryne:
The structure is called "protoporphyrin IX",a specific porphyrin in heme B(with Fe atom being in the middle) which is a group of hemoglobin. It is created in the metabolism of porphyrin by the enzyme protoporphyrinogen oxidase.
porphyrin/porphyrin ring itself is a type of pigment found in living things such as chlorophylls(when Mg2+ is centrally attached to it) that makes plants green & hemoglobin(when Fe2+ is centrally attached to it) which makes red blood. when all the substituents groups such as the propionate ion,vinyl group & methyl are removed,the resulting structure is called porphine,the simplest porphyrin. There are 4 rings which re interconnected,and each ring is called pyrrole ring,nd when connected,it is porphine.
let me stop here.
Wooooooooooow
wat are yhu??
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by hatux: 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2014
beatsbyj2g:
he needs to
1. Cover jamb syllabus once every 2 month till Feb
2. Study past questions jamb &waec
3. stop visiting nairaland till he's exams are over.

With dis he can even get 250 in jamb
Okay thanks'.. But who tell you he's a nairalander?
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by hatux: 6:50pm On Oct 11, 2014
benromeo39:
because they are subjects he can't understand alone without proper guidance. He needs tutorials.
Okay ma'am.. Thanks
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
thinezy:

yea chemistry education tho
Which school??
I'm studying Chemistry too, 200L
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by thinezy(f): 7:07pm On Oct 11, 2014
ikeola6:
Which school??
I'm studying Chemistry too, 200L
Unizik finals
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 11, 2014
thinezy:

Unizik finals
Wowwwww am amazed,I don't what to say.....
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
thinezy:

Wooooooooooow
wat are yhu??
A Chemistry student
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by chimhigher(m): 10:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
Sowi Folks..I Wan BANNED
.buh m bak nd Balling grin
Re: Organic Chemistry Only!!! by chimhigher(m): 11:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
SMALLPENIS:
Teacher SP in the house. chimhigher , sorry for not showing yesterday, was pretty busy.
my first class, so excited grin
Octane Rating
Octane Rating is the standard measure of the performance of a petrol in an internal combustion engine.
Fuels with higher octane ratings are used in high performance petrol engines, while poor quality fuels would explode prematurely causing knocking if used in a high performance engine.
Knocking
In a normal spark-ignition engine, the air-fuel mixture is heated due to being compressed and is then triggered to burn slowly by the spark plug and ignition system. If it is heated and/or compressed too much, then it will explode
when triggered (detonate), or even self-ignite before the ignition system sparks. This causes much higher pressures than
engine components are designed for and can cause a "knocking" sound. Knocking can cause major engine damage if severe.
Today, we have knock sensors to check if a fuel being used would cause knocking.

The octane number of a fuel is the percentage of iso octanes mixed with heptanes which has the same knocking/pinging characteristics as the fuel when comparisons are made in a standard engine.
The octane number/rating of a fuel can be increased by the presence of branched chain hydrocarbons and aromatic compounds.
Ethanol and Methanol when added to some petrols improve their performance.
TO BE CONTINUED...BATTERY LOW
9ce 1 bro,i Feel Ya

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sniit Polythechnic: Admission!Admission!!Admision!!! / Lecturing Positions. / Admission Form To FCA (federal College Of Agric . Ibadan) Is Out !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.