Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Myths Of Underrated University Courses - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Myths Of Underrated University Courses (622 Views)

Six Most Underrated University Courses In Nigeria / Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Universities / Top 10 Most Marketable University Courses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Myths Of Underrated University Courses by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
In Nigeria, if you don’t study Engineering, Law, Medicine, Masscomm and other overrated courses, you are not yet educated. We look down on the so called “underrated courses”. No wonder we are still lagging behind as regards economy buoyancy. You will see 1000 account graduates competing for just two slots in an establishment. The same goes for other overrated professions which such is not obtainable in the underrated courses. Most people are even ignorant to the opportunities lying about in these underestimated courses. All they want is the praises that follows the course decision they made- some are even induced by friends and family as to what they will say if i study overrated/underestimated course.
Unemployment will keep on waxing stronger in our country if we keep following the crowd on the course we wish to read. Mind you, am not saying you shouldn’t follow your passion, but the big question is: “Why are you choosing the course?” is it for employment purpose or for self accomplishment? I will leave you to scrutinise the definition of accomplishment within yourself.
If we crave for development in this country, it’s hightime we started giving the “underrated courses” some considerations. In Europe, all courses are valuable. They have professional in every field you can ever imagine of. No wonder they are waxing stronger at the tick of the clock. There are some holes in our labour market that needs professionals of these underrated courses that we mostly employ foreign expert to fill. In Nigeria (for men), you dear not tell your prospective in-laws that you are studying French language or even Yoruba/Igbo in the University, they will have to re-sit and discuss with their daughter on how you plan on living and taking care of the family, and that is even if they eventually allow you to marry their daughter.
It is palpable and evident that most of us goes to school hoping to get a good grade, graduate and get a well paying white choler job. Allow me to enlighten you that being educated goes beyond that. Being educated means: to learn, unlearn and relearn whatever we think we know. With such fantasies in mind, the level of illiteracy will keep sky rocketing in our country. Please don’t misunderstand me, am not saying you shouldn’t put you learned educational skills to work, but acquiring a university degree goes beyond that.
All am trying to convey is: for development to take place in this country, the underrated courses are needed as most of them are instrumental in facilitating it..
Only an illiterate will say some courses are just a waste of time.
Re: Myths Of Underrated University Courses by theplanmaker: 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2014
you ll do yourself a lot of good by proof reading this write up
Re: Myths Of Underrated University Courses by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
theplanmaker:
you ll do yourself a lot of good by proof reading this write up

Pls,Kindly outline my errors so I can improve next time. dis is actually the first time I will be writing sometin as lng as dis.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Myths Of Underrated University Courses by MrPeaceman(m): 5:47am On Oct 11, 2014
Who says Law, Masscom, Engr has a higher employment prospect more than the so called underated ones? A larger percentage of the unemployed or under employed today constitute the graduates of the so called overated courses; they are just too many struggling for a sigle spot. How many Law graduates today are employed or practicing? Even being a charge and bail Lawyer requires connection now.

(1) (Reply)

Explosion Yobe, Secondary School, At Least 20 Students Killed / Oops...what A Typical Naija Girl Do When They Get To School... / Belarus Admin For Medicine Comp Science Pharmacy Economics As Low As #120,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.