Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

"How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question (70853 Views)

This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / Why Do You Want Us To Employ You? Interview Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
Lanretoye:

brother i see that the grammer here is more relevant to you other than the challenge majority of job seekers encounter when they are in this shoe.
after spotting the grammatical fault, u should have also contributed to the subject.
Did your father pay for my internet subscription? I doubt it so it is not for him to tell me what to say or not say. By the way it is grammar not grammer!!

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
uboma:
@ Mowyo and Rilwayne001, please stop derailing this thread.

Thanks

Apologies bro,would have asked my questions in the Islam section but non muslims cant paste there
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Emmydek(m): 3:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
You give the interviewer a question back.
With what you've seen on my credential(s) and the intelligence i'm blessed with,how much do you think i deserve to be paid??
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Rilwayne001: 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
uboma:
@ Mowyo and Rilwayne001, please stop derailing this thread.

Thanks

i am so sorry sir
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by uboma(m): 3:55pm On Oct 12, 2014
Mowyo:

Apologies bro,would have asked my questions in the Islam section but non muslims cant paste there

Please send him a PM.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by yhuty(m): 4:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
Sunnypar:
Look at what you earn at the moment with someone in a similar industry for example, FMCG , we have clothing line, foodstuff, drinks e.t.c look at what they pay that person say 900k and give them a range say 800-1.5m, however if you have ! experiencing that job position you could start from1.5m.

Moreso, if you are unable to find anyone in similar industry, advice you calculate all your expenses such as transport, feeding,clothing,offering and flexing deduct it from the figure you have in mind and give a figure.
P.S., note that your expenses if for the month and if you calculate transport please include hold-up, traffic gridlock and raining season.
Lol. Nice one. Thanks, I'm learning a lot
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by BAYKEM(m): 5:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
Rilwayne001:
[b] Truth is, if you’re interviewing for entry level position, you have practically no say in the pay. Almost 100% of companies have their pay structure and know how much they will pay you already. If Zenith bank, for instance, pays entry level employees N3m per annum, you can’t get more than that,except you have relevant experience. So most times, at entry level positions, this question is inconsequential, but it may be your undoing. Imagine asking for N10m as entry level in GTB – it can annoy your interviewer and an otherwise inconsequential question can mar your chance. Personally, I –and people I know that are top management staff in big organizations – always advise that you don’t say an amount. Respond with something like: “ABC Plc is a well-structured organization and I believe you will fairly place me where I fit within the structure (knowing full well that you’re entry level), with commensurate remuneration.” But if pressed further, you can state a sum, preferably a range, which you must have researched. A good way to research is to ask people that work in the organization what entry level pay is or you put a thread in a forum like Nairaland, where you are guaranteed of good
response. You may add 1 or 2m on top. For example, you know Ecobank pays N3m for entry level position, you may call 4m for them at the interview. If however you have some special skills or qualifications, you can charge a premium for that. For example, you have CFA, very marketable qualification, you can be daring and request for pay that is more than what is ordinarily obtainable for that position. Or you are coming withImperial or Harvard certificate. Experienced hires are also in good position to negotiate.... [/b]

www.nairaland.com/1245277/common-interview-questions-answer-tips

This is wonderful and helpful. thanks bro.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Rilwayne001: 6:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
Mowyo:

Lets continue the discussion here
www.nairaland.com/967122/romance-sections-off-topic-chat/2594
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Lanretoye(m): 8:13pm On Oct 12, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Did your father pay for my internet subscription? I doubt it so it is not for him to tell me what to say or not say. By the way it is grammar not grammer!!

one of those things that happen wen Eze goes to
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Chigorkizz(m): 10:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
i will ask d interviewers dis questn"hw much do u pay people in my position?
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Chigorkizz(m): 10:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
Chigorkizz:
i will ask d interviewers dis questn"hw much do u pay people in my position?
after dey reply me den i'll tell dem to pay me what dey pay pple in my position.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by expensive007(m): 11:58pm On Oct 12, 2014
hojayz:
I think what dey r asking u indirectly is "how much is ur service worth?" Dey want 2 know hw much u value ursef. Give them a specific figure and tell them u r open to negotiation. Say it with confidence.
well said smiley
During my interview in my present place of work, I was confronted with a similar question. I suggested that d approved format suitable for my position be applied, but they insisted that i shld name my price, then I gave them a price which we later bargained and arrived closely to the approved format. All u need do is just know ur worth and always stand ur ground on ur final decision. They may also want to know if u are a man/woman of integrity. Cheers grin grin grin
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 13, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
U are indeed enlightened.

Super response cool

Second-hand knowledge, much of it smiley
I have limited experience negotiating pay. I'm not quite there yet with my dream job, but hopefully just as soon as I get my qualifications, I will be. In some ways, it pays to be the youngest lol
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by WoodcrestMayor(m): 5:32am On Oct 13, 2014
You can say dat again grin

Most pple can't help themselves in that age department u knw wink...

When u land your dream job,do not forget to whistle.I'll be there to pour you a glass of wine and make a toast wink
EnlightenedSoul:

Second-hand knowledge, most of it smiley
I have limited experience negotiating pay. I'm not quite there yet with my dream job, but hopefully just as soon as I get my qualifications, I will be. In some ways, it pays to be the youngest lol

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 13, 2014
In what so ever situation, emphasis shouldn't be made on money especially if you are on first entry level..cus what ever amount u state won't change the salary structure they already have. U should be confident(K), and sound like.. " I am most interested in being part of an institution wr great minds are found. I strongly believe am in the right place, and I am ready to work in a challenging environment that (state job position) provides. I trust the board of this institution to provide me with a good working environment/ incentive that will make me fit into any cooperate setting". Once again no emphasis should b made on money..just find a way to answer the question without stating a particular amount.

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Infoay: 3:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
Thanks all
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 8:04pm On Oct 13, 2014
APPRECIATION !!!

Alright! To everyone that contributed one suggestion or the other, I say thank you! You guys are simply lettered and enlightened indeed and am very sure a lot of job seekers have been able to fathom an ALMIGHTY FORMULA that can be used to tackle this one billion dollar intetview question from the thread.

Thanks again to all the HR Personnels, consultants and experienced employed for honoring my invitation. You all are simply great! Love you all!

Regards,
Kent.nick smiley

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by zyclef4jeez(m): 6:31am On Oct 14, 2014
make real money has at jobandcash today by signing up and doing ur task it real, it kool cash making n it got testimonies click today and starting making cool cash online http://jobandcash.com/?share=170453
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by ailehwise(m): 11:21am On Oct 14, 2014
Kentnickole:
APPRECIATION !!!

Alright! To everyone that contributed one suggestion or the other, I say thank you! You guys are simply lettered and enlightened indeed and am very sure a lot of job seekers have been able to fathom an ALMIGHTY FORMULA that can be used to tackle this one billion dollar intetview question from the thread.

Thanks again to all the HR Personnels, consultants and experienced employed for honoring my invitation. You all are simply great! Love you all!

Regards,
Kent.nick smiley
pls can i start sending my cv to companies while waiting 4 my nysc come 4th Nov 2014?.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2014
ailehwise:

pls can i start sending my cv to companies while waiting 4 my nysc come 4th Nov 2014?.

Are you a prospective Batch C corps member?
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Aringon(m): 1:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
Stellaodoni1:
you are very wrong . Don't ever mention any amount. And yes you know your worth , but you might also choose to consider a lesser amount since there are no jobs . They will never pay you lesser than others on thesame level with you since the company has a grading system . And yes be confident but don't you ever mention any amount. Direct the question back to them . Eg . How much do you pay masters degree holders here ? They will never answer that . It's 50/50 - you might mention higher or lesser . I wish to throw more light on this but tired much .

It is wrong not to mention an amountan interview requires that u get prepared by knowing little details abt the company n that included finding out from the staff how much members of staff r paid at BSC or Masters level. U don't thru the question back to me and expect me to clap hand for u. U don't know ur worth, don't give excuse of " no job" n u quote no amount
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Heineken(m): 4:38pm On Aug 03, 2021
Jarus:
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Company 1 (A Downstream Oil Company, 2008): Just 2 weeks after my NYSC. I knew I was entry level although I had few months experience pre-NYSC. I answered with "you have a structure" line. I got the job and I was given entry level pay of that company.

Company 2 (Downstream arm of a Multinational oil company, 2012): I went to the interview with 4 years experience. I was asked same question. I had researched their pay for someone with 4 years experience from insiders in that company but the pay was just the same amount with what I was earning in my then current company. I just added 1m to my then current pay and told them that's the minimum I can accept. We didn't agree pay. They were not willing to pay me beyond their pay for that level, which was same figure with what I was earning in my then current company. We didn't arrive at deal.

Company 3 (An upstream company, 2012): I saw the advert in Guardian. The recruitment was handled by one of the Big 4 professional services firms. They didn't mention the company name. They just said "a leading independent E&P company with assets in X state". I threw my research skills into work, couldn't get the name of the company. But I was sure it's not an IOC. I had 4 years experience. The pay question was asked in a form I filled before entering the interview room (first interview handled by the recruiting firm). I just added 2m to my then current pay and wrote that on the form. We had the interview. The company was still not disclosed. That interview wasn't my best performance but I was positive I would scale that stage. I got a call - and follow up email - like 6 months later inviting me for the next stage, now with the E&P company itself (disclosed). From my knowledge of that company I had undervalued myself! I did very well in that 2nd interview but pay was not mentioned. I got a call 3 days later to discuss pay. I added another 1m to what I had written down for them in the form 6 months ago. My reason was 6 months was a long time ago and my then current company had even increased my pay by 500k (annual increase, which was true). They said they can't offer more than what I initially told them on the form. I asked them questions like "Do you do annual inflation adjustment?, Do you have performance bonus?" etc to which they answered in the affirmative. I then told them to add 500k to it because my current company had also increased my pay by that amount. They agreed and asked me to pick the letter for my medicals the next day.

Surprisingly, when I got my offer letter 2 weeks later, what they put there was more than what we agreed - they put the amount I asked for i.e added 1m to my initial request.

Still, when I got to that company, I realized I was still underpaid. I was still the lowest paid of all of us in that band. But who knows, I may have gotten the job because of the reasonable pay I asked for! Maybe if I was too outrageous I may not have gotten the job.

Thankfully, just 1 year later, the company carried out a company-wide uniform grading system that shot me up the ladder - with 50% payrise!

my boss good afternoon. How is everything going sir? Please help me with a job. Thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Npower N-tax Applicant Set To Take Their Test Today Through To 3rd July / Updated Job Alerts / FIRS Salary (Federal Internal Revenue Service)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.