Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) (33202 Views)

"76" Movie: Rita Dominic,Ramsey Nouah, Ibinabo Fiberesima, Chidi Mokeme Staring / New 2015 Movie By Two Nairalanders - Dyoungstar & Umanu / Funmi Iyanda - NTA Shut-down My Show For Interviewing A Gay Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by nex(m): 9:10am On Oct 12, 2014
I spent a whole afternoon with the beautiful Funmi Fiberesima somewhere quiet in Lekki, and it was simply one of those occasions in real life we all wished had a replay button. Our chat bordered on everything in the entertainment industry, with a degree of focus on her new movie which premiered the weekend before.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-hmaAPucRVkc/VDQ_zi6y0nI/AAAAAAAACBg/RE39VjUzkD0/s1600/Onikola.jpg[/img]

ONIKOLA doesn't just touch on a most critical issue which is mostly muted by our society, but dissects the web of complications shrouding that most vile culture of butchering the vagina of little girls, using Kumbi (played by Funmilayo Fiberesima) as a case study.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-izzWdOwQ8gU/VDREKcGWlxI/AAAAAAAACBs/jCJT0S8Lxtw/s1600/Funmi%2BFibresima%40%2Bthe%2Bpremiere%2Bof%2BOnikola.jpg[/img]

Most people see female genital mutilation in the same spectrum as child witch-hunting, but to me, it is far worse. At least the so-called child witches are accused of something! Those girls have no clue why they are so painfully being sexually deactivated for life.

[flash=720,600]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br_dzULSpK4[/flash]

ONIKOLA literally means The One Who Marks (the circumciser), and this movie centres on Kumbi's rejection of being mutilated, while making reference to Omosewa (played by Ronke Ojo) who has been circumcised, and faces the torment of living with her scars of frigidity.

One thing this film doesn't do is belabour every scene with the message of FGM. It truly is an entertaining masterpiece featuring other actors as Ibrahim Chatta, Sunday Afolabi and veterans like Dejumo Lewis, Bunmi Olatilewa and Tola Oladokun.

Shooting started in February 2012, and by August last year, I promised this movie was worth waiting for. It premiered at the Ikeja City Mall on Sunday, October 3rd, and goes to DVD. Attending the premiere were the heavyweights of the Nigerian movie industry, particularly stars of the Yoruba genre. Get the DVD, watch it, enjoy it, learn, and thank me later. You can't possible go wrong with a movie written by Gbenga Adesanya, Steve Anu Adesemoye, and Abosede Oshin.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Rdiyu7-S9p8/VDQztZq0GzI/AAAAAAAACAU/hPgDtVW_BVA/s1600/The%2Bcast%2Bof%2BOnikola%2C%2BFrom%2BLeft%2BBunmi%2BOlatilewa%2C%2BSunday%2BAfolabi%2C%2BFunmi%2BFibresima%2Band%2BYinka%2BSalau.JPG[/img]

The cast of Onikola, From Left Bunmi Olatilewa, Sunday Afolabi, Funmi Fibresima and Yinka Salau

[img]http://3.bp..com/-pV3vl568SNg/VDQ1He4UITI/AAAAAAAACAg/iChGGAq4txg/s1600/Kunle%2BAfolayan%2Band%2BYinka%2BSalau.JPG[/img]
Kunle Afolayan and Yinka Salau

[img]http://4.bp..com/-YZwhdpf2VnY/VDQ19M389PI/AAAAAAAACAw/bVNHd0k6K5w/s1600/DSC_1345.JPG[/img]
Guests

[img]http://4.bp..com/-t1VNA7liNr4/VDQ1jz4TIdI/AAAAAAAACAo/7HYqnVrt0Y4/s1600/DSC_1341.JPG[/img]
Tomiwa Kukoyi

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Uo4kh7ZXcSk/VDQ5t63VnWI/AAAAAAAACBI/3HFODP0V9hM/s1600/Essence%2C%2BFunmi%2BFibresima%40%2Bthe%2Bpremiere%2Bof%2BOnikola.jpg[/img]
Essence with Funmi Fiberesima

[img]http://1.bp..com/-ewk7FJ0YDRk/VDQ4AnX1-dI/AAAAAAAACA8/WuZfEYNDUQo/s1600/DSC_1445.JPG[/img]
Collins Talker

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Obinoscopy(m): 3:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nice! This is the kind of movie we want our nollywood producers to be producing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by nex(m): 6:02am On Oct 15, 2014
Obviously, these kinds of movies deal with the real issues in our society. I hope Nairalanders would appreciate it, and go out there to get a copy of this movie. Funmi Fiberesima started shooting this movie 2 years ago, and it's just her first. Let's make sure she sees the benefit of her hard-work and diligence.

14 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by priscaoge(f): 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
Nice one! Africans should say NO to female circumcision! It's very bad. This is the kind of movie that we need in our society today,not some sort of movies like "Ebola Doctors", "There is God oo" "Oga at the top" undecided undecided

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by priscaoge(f): 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
Female genital mutilation is a barbaric act that should be abolished in our society. Even after d circumcision, many girls have died of excessive bleeding or tetanus, and some have been left with long-term health complications like stench, difficulty during childbirth, difficulty urinating, dripping, severe menstrual pains, and infertility. Some also find it very difficult to reach climax during intercourse angry angry One girl in department when I was in school swear never to forgive her mother. She was circumcised when She was an infant. She will always complain of not having urge for S3x and that She doesn't enjoy s3x Or feel her husband. She keep having problem with her husband cos of that issue. I still wonder Who gave people that silly idea of circumcising their daughters undecided undecided

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
Wow!! I'm presently on a survey of SE states ( precisely Imo and Ebonyi state which were found to have the highest rate of FGM/C in the S.E)
Its a UNFPA sponsored survey and when the images for Type 1 to 3 of the mutilations were shown, I fell sick. The 3rd type was an almost sewn closed vu1v@!!
Some states have laws banning them, but it has not deterred them from doing it!! Its really terrible!
Meanwhile, Osun has the overall highest in FGM/C with 76% and Lagos had the lowest so we are using it as a control.
This practice must stop!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
The movie sounds like its worth watching, female genital mutilation is one of the purest forms of evil committed against the girl child.

The annoying part is that a mother who was circumcised and knows how much she is suffering in her marriage as a result will still willingly offer up her daughter for the same rubbish.

Even educated parents still fall this hogwash, all in the name of tradition/customs. I do hope that the movie be made available in rural areas where it could probably some good.

God bless Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Benbisco(f): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
ABEG WHO BE ALL THESE PEOPLE!

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Archimedes9(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
So make we run commot 4rm 9ja naa!!!
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
ok
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by MadCow1: 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
'Funmi Fiberesima...'

I am stunned!

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
A Movie for a worthy cause,

not some of the garbage they dish out to us these days.

"Twitter babes", i almost wept when i stumbled on the title.

3 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by gbaskiboy: 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ok oooooo, I hope this would civilise local community who are bend to mutilate innocent girls

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by elisa121s(m): 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hw e take concern meundecided
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by tuffgongjo(m): 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2014
Why will a right thinking human mutilate a gal?
That's gon turn her into a fhucking Frigid.

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Very good. This horrible practice must end.

1 Like

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Benbisco:
ABEG WHO BE ALL THESE PEOPLE!
Hollywood comedians
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by kekakuz(m): 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
we need to take the fight from nairaland to the whole of the world
click like if you were circumcised

4 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by numen(m): 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Am so against Female Genital Mutilation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by djkhalo(m): 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hope its actually gonna go well on like some optimistic videos[color=#990000][/color]
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by hazyfm: 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
INTERESTING
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
hmmm
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Rilwayne001: 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
okay
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by clemz88(m): 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
Let me boot
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by j4sure(m): 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
Eeyah
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Dopeyomi(m): 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
I̶̲̥̅̊ book space
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Lilimax(f): 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Okay ooo
So good to know.
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Innodon(m): 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
nice movie
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by sweetgala(m): 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
tchidi:
Wow!! I'm presently on a survey of SE states ( precisely Imo and Ebonyi state which were found to have the highest rate of FGM/C in the S.E)
Its a UNFPA sponsored survey and when the images for Type 1 to 3 of the mutilations were shown, I fell sick. The 3rd type was an almost sewn closed vulva!!
Some states have laws banning them, but it has not deterred them from doing it!! Its really terrible!
Meanwhile, Osun has the overall highest in FGM/C with 76% and Lagos had the lowest so we are using it as a control.
This practice must stop!!

Really to think the fact this act still continues in my home state is absolutely oblivious to me.

When you finish your report I would be glad to examine it, My mail is blackdynamite@eircom.net.

Regards

2 Likes

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by pontirock(m): 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Tholudee(f): 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
Abeg where can I download am? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ONIKOLA Movie By Funmi Fiberesima: An Exposé On Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by lilprinze: 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
Genital Mutilation is mostly or only practiced in Africa .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Big Brother Nigeria Is Fake / #bbnaija: Housemates Say What They Dislike About Each Other, & It's Interesting! / Television Politics: Five Years Later DSTV Is Still Yet To Launch Igbo Channel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.