Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,899 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Why Tail Docking? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Tail Docking? (6780 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 5:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
I have seen so many dogs with short tails and more with longer tails. It seems dogs wit shorter tails are more violent than their longer tail counterparts. Is that the essence of docking tails? Or is it particular to some breed alone becos I avnt seen a GSD with no tail before. In Nigeria I heard after cutting the tail off u feed it to d dog and it becomes wild..How true is that and what's the importance of tail docking?
Re: Why Tail Docking? by darmylolah(m): 6:01pm On Oct 12, 2014
Tail docking is a cosmetic surgery done to some particular breed of dogs just to make dem look beautiful...A point of correction sir, feedin d dogs d tail is totally wrong n it doesnt make dem more agressive atall. Itz is rare to c a GSD hving itz tail docked. The common dogs whose tails r docked r d Rottweilers n boerboels. If am wrong any vet dr could prove me wrong. We serve a noble profession!

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 6:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
Cosmetic surgery? Huh! Me think they look better with their tails..U need to see aw adorable they are when they are just puppies with tails

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by Seun(m): 8:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
OjeriakhiVictor:
Cosmetic surgery? Huh! Me think they look better with their tails..U need to see aw adorable they are when they are just puppies with tails
Yes, all dogs look better with their tails, but breeders dock them anyway because they don't care about the pain and loss of function that results from the amputation and would rather not have to educate misinformed buyers who think puppies whose tails are docked are somehow better.

OjeriakhiVictor:
In Nigeria I heard after cutting the tail off u feed it to d dog and it becomes wild.
That's complete nonsense. Docking a dog's tail leads to no practical benefit whatsoever. It's just a misguided tradition that breeders perpetuate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Tail Docking? by AdamaziShuga(f): 8:47pm On Oct 12, 2014
Seun:

Yes, all dogs look better with their tails, but breeders dock them anyway because they don't care about the pain and loss of function that results from the amputation and would rather not have to educate misinformed buyers who think puppies whose tails are docked are somehow better.

Seems u love dogs alot!

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 9:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
And besides the tail would be very useful to owners cos I think we can determine our dogs mood from there.

2 Likes

Re: Why Tail Docking? by Mckandre(m): 12:13am On Oct 13, 2014
The real truth behind the tail docking is for safety and healthwise.
Tail docking has been in practice for centuries ago, it's mostly practiced on working breeds like rottweiler, doberman and the rest. During the centuries, rottweiler tails were docked because of herding and cart pulling it was breed for. In those days, there was this notion that the rotts tail always gets in the way while working thus causing tail injuries and infections ; can easily get entangled with the carts body and also traps chunks of mud, cattle feces causing it to get weighed down to inflict injuries at the field.
For dog fights,its essential in the game due to the fact that fighting dogs can easily get their tails or ears ripped off while fighting with a contender. to avoid such gores, the tails and ears are docked/cropped at birth.
Nowadays it's practiced by many with no atom of knowledge or the essence on why such practice came to be, only because it looks cool and fancy to them; if Mr.jojo is doing it,i also must do it. if you ve noticed, German and European imports have their tails intact Cos it's been banned and considered inhumane to some countries.

7 Likes

Re: Why Tail Docking? by Ajanii(m): 5:57am On Oct 13, 2014
AdamaziShuga:

Seems u love dogs alot!

Happy new year
Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 6:41am On Oct 13, 2014
Mckandre:
Tail docking has been in practice for centuries ago, it's mostly practiced on working breeds like rottweiler, doberman and the rest. During the centuries, rottweiler tails were docked because of herding and cart pulling it was breed for. In those days, there was this notion that the rotts tail always gets in the way while working thus causing tail injuries and infections ; can easily get entangled with the carts body and also traps chunks of mud, cattle feces causing it to get weighed down to inflict injuries at the field.
For dog fights,its essential in the game due to the fact that fighting dogs can easily get their tails or ears ripped off while fighting with a contender. to avoid such gores, the tails and ears are docked at birth.
Nowadays it's practiced by many with no atom of knowledge or the essence on why such practice came to be, only because it looks cool and fancy to them; if Mr.jojo is doing it,i also must do it. if you ve noticed, German and European imports have their tails intact Cos it's been banned and considered inhumane to some countries.
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Tail Docking? by lahit14(m): 11:10am On Oct 13, 2014
Mckandre:
For dog fights,its essential in the game due to the fact that fighting dogs can easily get their tails or ears ripped off while fighting with a contender. to avoid such gores, the tails and ears are docked at birth.

Just the perfect ansa only ears r croped not docked.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Mckandre(m): 12:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
lahit14:

Just the perfect ansa only ears r croped not docked.
tnx for the correction, u get eye joh.

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by Fabdedon(m): 2:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
You all made nice comments
................ But i would like to hear from oga seun..
Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 3:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Fabdedon:
You all made nice comments
................ But i would like to hear from oga seun..
baba don yarn say na cosmetic surgery na
Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 3:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
Make we imagine say dem de dock mongrel tails..e go too...
Re: Why Tail Docking? by arcbay(m): 5:14pm On Oct 13, 2014
Please don't neglect the fact that tail docking is usually done to preserve and maintain certain breed standards...I'll ask a simple question, circumcision in Nigeria amongst the yorubas and ibos although the practice has been ruled out by foreign orgs as being inhuman, yet we still circumcise our kids. And yet amongst hausas, they see circumcision as a taboo. My question is this, would you rather not circumcise your kid because it has been tagged an act of cruelty?

3 Likes

Re: Why Tail Docking? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
AdamaziShuga:

Seems u love dogs alot!

grin grin
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Mckandre(m): 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
arcbay:
Please don't neglect the fact that tail docking is usually done to preserve and maintain certain breed standards...I'll ask a simple question, circumcision in Nigeria amongst the yorubas and ibos although the practice has been ruled out by foreign orgs as being inhuman, yet we still circumcise our kids. And yet amongst hausas, they see circumcision as a taboo. My question is this, would you rather not circumcise your kid because it has been tagged an act of cruelty?
what standards are you talking about? the so called standards is now getting obsolete day after day. you have a point there concerning the circumcision thingy about humans but thAt of canines is being governed by a body to promote and keep breed standards incheck.
The FCI -the world canine organization and governing body for almost all canine organization in the world ;put into effect the new published standard on April 6,2000 for the rotts and few breeds which abolished the tail docking, any dog seeking to participate in any of the events must have it's tail intact or be disqualified. Almost all the countries in the world has accepted it as being inhumane except AkC and most African countries.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by arcbay(m): 6:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mckandre:
what standards are you talking about? the so called standards is now getting obsolete day after day. you have a point there concerning the circumcision thingy about humans but thAt of canines is being governed by a body to promote and keep breed standards incheck.
The FCI -the world canine organization and governing body for almost all canine organization in the world ;put into effect the new published standard on April 6,2000 for the rotts and few breeds which abolished the tail docking, any dog seeking to participate in any of the events must have it's tail intact or be disqualified. Almost all the countries in the world has accepted it as being inhumane except AkC and most African countries.

You haven't answered my question. Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP), Canadian Pediatric Society, International Coalition for Genital Integrity (ICGI) amongst other organizations made a degree several decades ago abolishing circumcision amongst humans, threatening to bring to book anyone caught in the act. Yet that didn't stop our mothers from getting us circumcised and that won't deter us from circumcising our kids and grandkids. This is a trend that goes on and on...
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
arcbay:
You haven't answered my question. Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP), Canadian Pediatric Society, International Coalition for Genital Integrity (ICGI) amongst other organizations made a degree several decades ago abolishing circumcision amongst humans, threatening to bring to book anyone caught in the act. Yet that didn't stop our mothers from getting us circumcised and that won't deter us from circumcising our kids and grandkids. This is a trend that goes on and on...
Human Penis Circumcision is not as harmful as cutting a dog's tail. Cutting a dog's tail is more akin to cutting off a person's lips for tradition.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Fabdedon(m): 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
OjeriakhiVictor:
baba don yarn say na cosmetic surgery na
Oga seun quote nah the best to me.. Smh
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Mckandre(m): 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
arcbay:

well, it depends on the particular sex that is being referred to. the one I know of is that of the female which is now a taboo unlike before.
For the males, circumcision is basically a religious ritual. it can also be a matter of family tradition, personal hygiene or preventive health care. circumcision is the only surgery in history ever advocated as a widespread means of preventing disease. To ban it will create alot of controversies considering the above. .....lets stop here for now to avoid derailing the thread.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 17, 2014
darmylolah:
Tail docking is a cosmetic surgery done to some particular breed of dogs just to make dem look beautiful...A point of correction sir, feedin d dogs d tail is totally wrong n it doesnt make dem more agressive atall. Itz is rare to c a GSD hving itz tail docked. The common dogs whose tails r docked r d Rottweilers n boerboels. If am wrong any vet dr could prove me wrong. We serve a noble profession!
Not to make dem beautiful bro, its a standard set by AKC, that some dogs have to be docked
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Seun(m): 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2014
FeverRay:
Not to make dem beautiful bro, its a standard set by AKC, that some dogs have to be docked
This is false. There are no dogs whose tails have to be docked by any standard. Tail docking is actually illegal in most civilised countries.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by OjeriakhiVictor(m): 1:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
FeverRay:
What's d reason behind d standard if I may ask?
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Seun(m): 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
OjeriakhiVictor:
What's d reason behind d standard if I may ask?
Before asking that, you should first ask for a link that backs his claim that the AKC standard states that some breeds should be docked.

There is no reason to dock a dog's tail. None whatsoever. All the breeds whose tails get mutilated look better with their tails intact. All of them.
Re: Why Tail Docking? by Mckandre(m): 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
FeverRay:
dude get your facts right, AKC is not recognized worldwide so is their so called standards. To be on the safer side, follow the FCI ( Fédération Cynologique Internationale) standards. the FCI is more recognized globally;a leading and the largest canine organization in the world,besides they have long banned tail docking since 2000.

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by arcbay(m): 4:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
Seun:
Human Penis Circumcision is not as harmful as cutting a dog's tail. Cutting a dog's tail is more akin to cutting off a person's lips for tradition.

jEEZ!!! I don't believe you just said that!!! The peak of cruelty upon mankind is circumcision. Have you ever watched a kid being circumcised? OMG!!! It's a horrible sight. It is usually done when the kid is 2weeks old or thereabout. The kid cries for hours even after the whole cropping process. Even the healing process is more painful, cos a lot of treatment is applied on the kid's organ to ensure a fast healing and prevention of infection. All these stuff adds to the kid's agony and pain. Unlike dock-tailing where you make use of a dock-tape at a very early stage of the pup's life when he knows no pain. The tail falls off after the 3rd day. The pup only cries at the instant you use the dock-tape on him, after which he forgets the pain. Even the pup's cries are not cries of pain as such, just occasional moans when the other pups hit the tail during the search for breast milk...
Re: Why Tail Docking? by okikiosibodu(m): 12:31am On Sep 01, 2016
Hope am not a late comer...
I have once said it on a thread similar topic was discussed... growing up as a child to know dogs, the Rottweilers, Boerboels and Dobermen (as I love to call plural of doberman) I saw both physically and in movies, all have their tails docked. So seeing those dogs without a docked tail, seems quite unappealing to me. However as Oga Seun has said, is mainly for aesthetic values (except for few cases that involved health :eg broken tail, or sore-tails, etc). Many of those large breeds don't have tails that commensurate their sizes, so docking them make it kind of appealing.
It is a wrong notion to say dogs with docked tails are more aggressive....that is untrue. They are only dangerous because they won't be able to express themselves properly (tail communication is key in canine communication). So you almost cant tell through the tail, if the dog is warning you to back off or not. A stiff/erect tail suspended in the air, is usually a warning from the dog, but its quite challenging to comprehend from a dog with docked tail
Some countries have however banned docking of dog tails except it involves medical reasons, and even at that, a medical document needs to be issued, to back up d claim

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by viqSmallz(m): 10:00pm On Sep 01, 2016
I opened the thread when I was a very green horn on dog matters..not saying I m.an expert now...but ideally to me I think I will stick with non docking..cos the tail is a means of expression..it ll b easier to know the state of ur dog through the tail.

1 Like

Re: Why Tail Docking? by ImFortress(m): 12:07pm On Sep 03, 2016
viqSmallz:
I opened the thread when I was a very green horn on dog matters..not saying I m.an expert now...but ideally to me I think I will stick with non docking..cos the tail is a means of expression..it ll b easier to know the state of ur dog through the tail.

Knowing the state of your dogs emotion depends on different factors, which include stance, facial expression (eyes, ears, mouth) and tails (some breeds have natural curling tails, so is almost excluded)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Metal Dog Cage For Sale ASAP / Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Mix For All Skin & Hair Type / 23 Cute Puppies Mistaken For Teddy Bears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.