Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Learning African Languages - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning African Languages (14555 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:14am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

lol, it sounds just like it looks. I even went online to listen to Serer videos... bro, I was totally in nde nimre.
but i know one think, that all three languages (F,W,S0 tend to hold their breath when speaking so many words.... And the way they intonate can be sometimes very similar.... that is about all.

How widely is Serer even spoken? I can find lots of videos on Wolof. Also I know Wolof has a lot of 'kh' sounds in their language.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:16am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

How widely is Serer even spoken? I can find lots of videos on Wolof. Also I know Wolof has a lot of 'kh' sounds in their language.
like Rekhhhhhhh and Bakhhhhhhhhh....... looool

Serer faces an Inevitable death, It is HIGHLY ENDANGERED.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:18am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

like Rekhhhhhhh and Bakhhhhhhhhh....... looool

Serer faces an Inevitable death, It is HIGHLY ENDANGERED.

ROFLLLL yahhh exactly (I do like how Wolof sounds though and I'm actually happy that Senegal is pushing French away in favour of Wolof).

Yah I seriously am not joking when I tell you I could not find any Serer videos on YouTube ROFLLLL, I think Serer will be a dead language in 20 years when we have kids and they are in their teens thinking of University cheesy
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

ROFLLLL yahhh exactly (I do like how Wolof sounds though and I'm actually happy that Senegal is pushing French away in favour of Wolof).

Yah I seriously am not joking when I tell you I could not find any Serer videos on YouTube ROFLLLL, I think Serer will be a dead language in 20 years when we have kids and they are in their teens thinking of University cheesy

hahahahhaa...... I am laughing about a Language whose Tombstone has already been carved.
Infact the R.I.P on the tombstone just remains the leg part of the "P" to be complete.....

Linguists better converge there and document Serer words in electronic format, now that they can still find a few people who can actually communicate in it.

The only video i found was one silly one about Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

hahahahhaa...... I am laughing about a Language whose Tombstone has already been carved.
Infact the R.I.P on the tombstone just remains the leg part of the "P" to be complete.....

Linguist better converge there and document Serer words in electronic format, now that they can still find a few people who can actually communicate in it.

ROFLLLLL so true, I know that we are kind of laughing at the matter, but in a way it's a bit sad to think of a language dying out. To Allah/Geno jabi, that won't be what ever happens to Fulfulde/Pular.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:25am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

The only video i found was one silly one about Jesus.

Yah I just try to be nice to Christians when they link me videos in Fulfulde, I'm very diplomatic about those kind of things (I try not to offend anyone), but their conversion tactic would never work. What they don't realize is that when most people watch those videos the people watching the videos aren't fools.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

ROFLLLLL so true, I know that we are kind of laughing at the matter, but in a way it's a bit sad to think of a language dying out. To Allah/Geno jabi, that won't be what ever happens to Fulfulde/Pular.

Fulfulde is an established Language. In Guinea and Cameroon, Fula was the Language that actually led to the extinction of many others. It is the number 1 native African language in both countries.
In Mauritania it comes immediately after Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yah I just try to be nice to Christians when they link me videos in Fulfulde, I'm very diplomatic about those kind of things (I try not to offend anyone), but their conversion tactic would never work. What they don't realize is that when most people watch those videos the people watching the videos aren't fools.

Don;t say so, brother. Their tactics actually works in the rural areas, because, guess what?
Poverty can make you do anything, for some quick change. They have a few converts.

Just take a look at this...in Adamawa Fulfulde Labdum!! (i was shocked)
http://gospelgo.com/z/FUB/NT.htm

Or this
http://fulfuldemedia.com/ffm/linjila-iisaa-e-larabuure-fulfulde#p (aimed at our Jelgoobe brothers)
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:35am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Fulfulde is an established Language. In Guinea and Cameroon, Fula was the Language that actually led to the extinction of many others. It is the number 1 native African language in both countries.
In Mauritania it comes immediately after Arabic.

You are right, I want to hold my thoughts about Nigeria, because Abdul my good friend who is watching this thread would kill me cheesy (not to be literally taken seriously). But sometimes I wish the lingua franca of Waila/Arewa was Fulfulde and not Hausa (ok Abdul please don't get mad at me).
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:37am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Don;t say so, brother. Their tactics actually works in the rural areas, because, guess what?
Poverty can make you do anything, for some quick change. They have a few converts.

Or this
http://fulfuldemedia.com/ffm/linjila-iisaa-e-larabuure-fulfulde#p (aimed at our Jelgoobe brothers)

I clicked on the first link and almost spit out my morning Kossam what the heck is this Bororojo? I demand 1 minute of my life back now cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2014
What the heck, the brainwashing tactics are working. Bororojo, I need to go and find a beautiful town Fulani girl so that she can console me with her beautiful feet bro brb.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I clicked on the first link and almost spit out my morning Kossam what the heck is this Bororojo? I demand 1 minute of my life back now cheesy cheesy cheesy

lol, as bad as it may look, it is actually surprising that some of he best digitalized works I have come accross on Fulfulde, have been from christian sources.
The effort they actually put into their proselytizing is impressive. I know in Cameroon it is actually not directly aimed at the Fulani, but the many other groups that speak Fulfulde as first language. They speak Fula everywhere there bro, even in churches, market, Conferences-etc. About time Cameroon made it official.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

lol, as bad as it may look, it is actually surprising that some of he best digitalized works I have come accross on Fulfulde, have been from christian sources.
The effort they actually put into their proselytizing is impressive. I know in Cameroon it is actually not directly aimed at the Fulani, but the many other groups that speak Fulfulde as first language. They speak Fula everywhere there bro, even in churches, market, Conferences-etc. About time Cameroon made it official.

I know some of the groups like the Vute/Bute speak Fulfulde better than they speak their own language, I kind of like it and respect them for that. As a matter of fact, some of my favourite Fulani music is sang by non Fulani like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZOIZ814Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4t7PZ5mqg

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman, I know you won't like this one, but I would put it anyway....Lmao...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9ZHUSe7LM

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:04am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:
Fulaman, I know you won't like this one, but I would put it anyway....Lmao...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9ZHUSe7LM

The only reason I am letting you get away with this Bororojo because the girl singing sent some interesting vibes to my Ngorgu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in any case if you are going to link a modernised song make sure the auto-tuning is not too much oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4McbnWb-Zo
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

The only reason I am letting you get away with this Bororojo because the girl singing sent some interesting vibes to my Ngorgu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in any case if you are going to link a modernised song make sure the auto-tuning is not too much oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :
============> Runaway!

Anyways, let me give you something original then. Tell me how you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3AqwWYZcRU

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:12am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :
============> Runaway!

Anyways, let me give you something original then. Tell me how you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3AqwWYZcRU

This is my kind of music, though the women are trying to sound too much like coastal West Africans (nothing wrong with that), but that song is a great Fulani song nevertheless, much better than that one dude who tries so hard to be a poser cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:13am On Nov 11, 2014
I think you will like this one Bororojo: the girl in this song is very beautiful, she is my type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwAwEE7tqxo

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 11, 2014
The Guinea Fulbe are very modern and "progressive" Fulaman, lol....

listen to this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-riJbbS0as

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:44am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:
The Guinea Fulbe are very modern and "progressive" Fulaman, lol....

listen to this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-riJbbS0as

That's a nice song, and I typically like traditional songs but I loved this modern song.. I know you probably think I'm weird because I'm a young man and like songs our forefathers listened to lollll.
Re: Learning African Languages by abdulwastecx(m): 11:10am On Nov 11, 2014
spotit:
if you learned any of the various african languages, you'd be a step away from assimilating other aspects of African cultures and histories. then it'll go on a scale of new renaissance reconnecting your deepest forbidden/forgotten slavery stories and oldwives tales to their/your obliterated roots still left somewhere in africa...

but truth is, nobody cares what you feel like, neither have africans declared that they aren't proud of youse. africans are disinterested or indifferent really. except on individual levels when they love their bosom friends or spouses to learn one to further deepen their integration..

I think african Americans should be more interested in the social economic economical problem of Black people in America. The low literacy rate, high school drop out, high incastration rate, black-white income gap etc. Learning an African language should be last in their priority.

I care about African American because I see them as people that shares common ancestors with me, I love their rap music and love that curvy women I see on hip hop videos but I want them to improve on social front than to worried about language spoken thousands of kilometers away
Re: Learning African Languages by abdulwastecx(m): 11:19am On Nov 11, 2014
fightforchange1:
"Blacks" don't care about afro culture...
And afro people don't care about accepting us n helping us return to our native culture.
Its mutual.

Returning to native culture of people living below $4000 for resident and a citizen of world largest economy sound really ridiculous. ..
most Africa society are buying into foreign influencers and cultures. most of what is consider northernern Nigeria culture today are assimilated from North Africa and middle east about 200 years ago through islamization.
most southern Nigeria culture are either influenced by western influence ( south east and south south or islwm influence ( Yoruba Muslim).

it will be better if blacks in America try to assimilate more into capitalist and cooperate America than some Africa cultures that is no longer been practice by Africans

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 1:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. smiley

What do you call Umbrella? "We say "Laimaru"
Those in Senegal use the French derivative.... lol. I almost fell off the chair from laughter, the day I discovered.
We say waado .
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Returning to native culture of people living below $4000 for resident and a citizen of world largest economy sound really ridiculous. ..
most Africa society are buying into foreign influencers and cultures. most of what is consider northernern Nigeria culture today are assimilated from North Africa and middle east about 200 years ago through islamization.
most southern Nigeria culture are either influenced by western influence ( south east and south south or islwm influence ( Yoruba Muslim).

it will be better if blacks in America try to assimilate more into capitalist and cooperate America than some Africa cultures that is no longer been practice by Africans
Some aspects of the culture is ISlamic per say not middle Eastern. All Muslims have something in common. But besides that, the music ,the poetry, our metaphysics are different.
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Or this
Wow, I can't conceive seeing a Pullo who is not Muslim, lol
Re: Learning African Languages by abdulwastecx(m): 3:36pm On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

Some aspects of the culture is ISlamic per say not middle Eastern. All Muslims have something in common. But besides that, the music ,the poetry, our metaphysics are different.

Islamic culture is a middle easterner culture

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Islamic culture is a middle easterner culture
Not just middle eastern since it is shared by people all the way to India, South East Asia. That was the goal, making it global. Having something that people of different cultures can share. Now everyone of those groups have something distinctive. And we all, including Arabs had to abandon part of culture that did not conform with Islam.
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2014
Africans have abandoned aspects of their culture but they still have a very distintic culture.
There are however, lost Africans that are even ashamed of speaking their native language in public. They are a lost case and should not be considered Africans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 11:24pm On Nov 12, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Wooow.
That blows
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 18, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I think that for African Americans to be considered as Africans, they would need to do a couple of things of which they are:

a) for starters, they first need to identify their paternal ancestry(most of the the african society is fiercely patrilineal) by means of yDNA testing to identify which tribe their first male ancestor came from in any of the 5 or 6 African countries that were active in the slave trade.
That's not cheap, and their DNA is already quite thoroughly mixed up. The best they can do these days is find out where the largest percentage comes from, and I believe it's still a guess. Not very enticing.

b) they would need to schedule a visit to the tribe of their paternal ancestor, in a return journey sort of back to their ancestry, and equally spend some quality time in that area to get used to the culture and traditions of their own people.
Even I, with both of my parents naturally born Nigerians, am not considered truly African by family, or other Nigerians. When I express interest in my culture and language, I'm politely tolerated, but not actively encouraged. Speaking from years of experience.

African Americans? The barriers they face are even more formidable. They are treated with derision and suspicion, and they are very much aware of it. I've had the uncomfortable experience of explaining the term "akata" on more than one occasion. Understandably, they resent it, and react to the rejection with rejection of their own.

c) they would need to assimilate back into their culture, being their original culture, but forcefully stripped away from them over 400 hundred years ago. To do this, they would need to adopt African surnames and first or middle names, leaving one name, either first or middle, as Black English name. African american surnames and names such as 'brown', 'derrell', 'taequan', 'lashonda' are not your true names. Most of you are ancestrally african and your original names were african. Those foreign names you bear today were imposed on you in an attempt to erase all traces of your true identity and in order to reclaim your true identity you would have to reclaim what originally belonged to you which includes authentic african names and surnames.
They realized this long ago, my friend. Read about the Black power movement, Black nationalism, the Back-to-Africa movement, and Afrocentrism. They are not ignorant of the fact that their roots were stolen from them. Liberia was founded for this reason. For those who remained, whether due to distrust of the Back-to-Africa's motives, or out of fear of starting over in a place that was no longer "home", they were forced to create a new cultural identity for themselves, in a country that was very much hostile to their attempts to assimilate to "white" culture. And besides, the whites at that time, especially in the North, where freed slaves relocated, were even closer to their various European roots (Irish, Italian, etc.), so there was no one single "white" culture to adopt.

Much of African-American culture is influenced by a mix of different African cultures. Kwanzaa was created by and for African-Americans looking for a holiday that celebrated African identity and history, and uses a mixture of African culture and the Swahili language. The field of African studies was developed during this time.

Now... regarding names. *deep breath*

It's easy to mock African-American names when you are so close to your own cultural history and heritage. But maybe you can be more understanding when I tell you the story behind them. Have you ever heard of the concept of a "slave name"? In the 1960s and 1970s, during the height of some of the movements I mentioned earlier, and ESPECIALLY after the popular TV series "Roots" began to air, there was a rise of African-Americans discarding what they considered to be their "slave names", forced on them by the slave masters of their ancestors.

The Nation of Islam aka Black Islam, led by Malcolm X, and the self-renaming of celebrities such as Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, triggered a wave of Islamic name adoptions by African Americans. Today, names like Jamal, Latifah--Queen Latifah--(from the name Latif), Nasir--rap artist Nas, Malik, Shadee (from Shadi), Shaquille--Shaquille O'Neal--(from Shakil), are all due to the Black Islam movement and an attempt to establish an identity that was not forced on them, but was of their own choosing.

Indeed, many took the opportunity to invent names and modify existing ones, by adding prefixes like La/Le, Da/De, Ra/Re, or Ja/Je and suffixes such as -ique/iqua, -isha, and -aun/-awn. It was just the fashion at the time. Michael Jackson's sister LaToya bears one example.

But of course, the establishment of these names as Black names came with the stigmatization that comes from anything associated with Black Americans, and today these names are commonly met with discrimination and distaste, even among African Americans themselves, in an attempt to distance themselves from the effects of racial discrimination; and most especially by Africans, who have adopted many of their negative attitudes about Black Americans from white Americans. Like the comment immediately succeeding yours.

d) immerse yourself in comprehensive language learning of your tribe's language. Learn the language of your first male ancestor. Learn the customs and traditions of your people, be an all-round african.
Like I said previously, easier said than done. And this is coming from someone who is only a single generation away. White people are given more enthusiastic support in learning African language and culture than diasporan Africans and African-Americans. I've seen it with my own eyes. People fall over themselves to help them learn. I've heard white people speak near perfect Yoruba after living in Nigeria for a couple of years.

Cliff notes: The scenario you describe is unlikely, for many reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:58am On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's not cheap, and their DNA is already quite thoroughly mixed up. The best they can do these days is find out where the largest percentage comes from, and I believe it's still a guess. Not very enticing.

Even I, with both of my parents naturally born Nigerians, am not considered truly African by family, or other Nigerians. When I express interest in my culture and language, I'm politely tolerated, but not actively encouraged. Speaking from years of experience.

African Americans? The barriers they face are even more formidable. They are treated with derision and suspicion, and they are very much aware of it. I've had the uncomfortable experience of explaining the term "akata" on more than one occasion. Understandably, they resent it, and react to the rejection with rejection of their own.

They realized this long ago, my friend. Read about the Black power movement, Black nationalism, the Back-to-Africa movement, and Afrocentrism. They are not ignorant of the fact that their roots were stolen from them. Liberia was founded for this reason. For those who remained, whether due to distrust of the Back-to-Africa's motives, or out of fear of starting over in a place that was no longer "home", they were forced to create a new cultural identity for themselves, in a country that was very much hostile to their attempts to assimilate to "white" culture. And besides, the whites at that time, especially in the North, where freed slaves relocated, were even closer to their various European roots (Irish, Italian, etc.), so there was no one single "white" culture to adopt.

Much of African-American culture is influenced by a mix of different African cultures. Kwanzaa was created by and for African-Americans looking for a holiday that celebrated African identity and history, and uses a mixture of African culture and the Swahili language. The field of African studies was developed during this time.

Now... regarding names. *deep breath*

It's easy to mock African-American names when you are so close to your own cultural history and heritage. But maybe you can be more understanding when I tell you the story behind them. Have you ever heard of the concept of a "slave name"? In the 1960s and 1970s, during the height of some of the movements I mentioned earlier, and ESPECIALLY after the popular TV series "Roots" began to air, there was a rise of African-Americans discarding what they considered to be their "slave names", forced on them by the slave masters of their ancestors.

The Nation of Islam aka Black Islam, led by Malcolm X, and the self-renaming of celebrities such as Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, triggered a wave of Islamic name adoptions by African Americans. Today, names like Jamal, Latifah--Queen Latifah--(from the name Latif), Nasir--rap artist Nas, Malik, Shadee (from Shadi), Shaquille--Shaquille O'Neal--(from Shakil), are all due to the Black Islam movement and an attempt to establish an identity that was not forced on them, but was of their own choosing.

Indeed, many took the opportunity to invent names and modify existing ones, by adding prefixes like La/Le, Da/De, Ra/Re, or Ja/Je and suffixes such as -ique/iqua, -isha, and -aun/-awn. It was just the fashion at the time. Michael Jackson's sister LaToya bears one example.

But of course, the establishment of these names as Black names came with the stigmatization that comes from anything associated with Black Americans, and today these names are commonly met with discrimination and distaste, even among African Americans themselves, in an attempt to distance themselves from the effects of racial discrimination; and most especially by Africans, who have adopted many of their negative attitudes about Black Americans from white Americans. Like the comment immediately succeeding yours.

Like I said previously, easier said than done. And this is coming from someone who is only a single generation away. White people are given more enthusiastic support in learning African language and culture than diasporan Africans and African-Americans. I've seen it with my own eyes. People fall over themselves to help them learn. I've heard white people speak near perfect Yoruba after living in Nigeria for a couple of years.

Cliff notes: The scenario you describe is unlikely, for many reasons.

What you said is absolutely true and embarrassing at the same time. Africans are to blame for this with the butt-kissing Oyibo inferiority complex.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 18, 2014
bigfrancis21:
Taequan
Lashonda
Kalisha
Jaequan
Lawanda
Lakeisha

Can you please tell us what they mean?

A true name is one with a meaning or one given based on meaning. A name isn't a name if it has no meaning. I would like to know the meaning of those names above.
Fulaman198:
What does John, Timothy, Stewie, Jerry, Steven, Sam, Scott, Brad, Taylor, etc. etc. all mean as well? A true name is one with a meaning right?
spotit:
^bruv yo lyin. those names have nice meanings even. just find out their full form first.

where I was and am still amused are the ghetto sounding ones that are usually tongue-twisting and longish
fightforchange1:
The sad part is a lot don't know the meaning or significance of a name we have.

Sigh. My instincts were right. I had a feeling where that name thing was headed, and I'm literally cringing at the repeated use of the word "ghetto" to describe Black names. You got that from racist white people. Period. I will talk more about invented names in a second.

See my previous post for the origins of Black names. Many are originally Islamic, with and without altered spellings. As Fulaman198 already pointed out, the name Aisha comes from the Koran.

As for the names you sneered at:
Taequan - likely an invented name from the 1970s black empowerment movement, modeled after existing Islamic names, which commonly include exotic (from a eurocentric perspective) letters like q and j.
LaShonda - same as above. Likely stemmed from existing Islamic names Rashad and Roshan (feminized as Rashonda), then further customized, in keeping with the trends at the time. Eurocentric baby name sites theorize Hebrew and Welsh origins, which I find perfectly laughable, given what I know of African-American history. They suppose it's a blend of Shona and Rhonda. It's a stretch. Bless their hearts.
Kalisha - Artificial feminization of the Islamic name Khalil.
Jaequan - see Taequan.
Lawanda - In all likelihood, influenced by the common -awn/-uan in vogue at the time, especially due to the q sound of some adopted Islamic names.
Lakeisha - Another invented names with probable Islamic origin, faint resemblance as it has. The common k and the feminization suffix -sha (which is African in origin), are characteristic of the customized Islamic names of the time.

As for taking African names, believe it or not, bigfrancis21, the thought had already occurred to African-Americans (see previous comment regarding Afrocentrism). Some popular Black names that are African in origin: Ashanti, Tanisha, Aaliyah, Malaika. And they didn't have the Internet when the renaming phenomenon was occurring. And no African literature they could draw from. So you can understand the limited variety. They had the Koran, what they heard, and their imaginations.

Now, as promised, the subject of invented names and "real names". Some examples of white invented names:
Vanessa, Wendy, Jayden, Scarlett, Fiona, Jessica, Pamela, Cedric, Percival, Dorian, Ryker. Some white invented names with distorted spellings, not unlike those used by black Americans to customize existing names: Haleigh/Hailey/Haley (from Hayley) Jaxon (from Jackson), Emely/Emmalee (from Emily), Ashlee/Ashleigh (from Ashley), Carley/Carleigh (from Carly, feminized Carl), Michaela/Mckayla... to be honest, I have no idea where this came from. Some invented names (usually American) have the Irish Mac-/Mc- prefix added for creative purposes. The meaning of mac, however, is "son of", so sometimes you see names like this, that don't make any sense. The suffix -leigh, as in a few of the examples I gave, is an attempt to "Irish-ize" the sounds "lee", "ly" and "lie", which are all variations of Old English "ley". Those names are seen as perfectly acceptable, even the more recently invented ones.

I think you get my point. All names were invented, whether in the distant past, as local variations of names imported by invading armies in ancient Europe, or in the relatively recent past, in young America by Southern whites, or virtually yesterday during the 1970s and 1980s by black Americans trying to establish an identity, and reclaim a sense of self--a unique challenge for any people.

Your name is your identity. How long did you expect they to go on without an identity? The ones forced on them, the names of the people who enslaved and tortured them, and continued to spit in their face? That identity came with heavy psychological and demeaning consequences. Those names say "I named you, like a pet." and "You can only aspire to be what I am, imitating me, like a monkey." Can you say inferiority complex? Even the European names adopted by Black Americans eventually fell out of favor with whites, and became as stigmatized as the invented ones. French names such as Monique, Antoine, André, and Chantal, are now considered to be Black names. It was (and perhaps, still is) a lose-lose scenario. The only remaining alternative was the one they chose.

Cliff notes: White people invented names too, in the past and today. The only reason you mock invented Black names is because of white racism. In addition, many of the names you deemed meaningless, in fact have Islamic origin. But you made an assumption, again, because of white racism.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ijaw Gospel Music / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire / Yoruba's After The Fall Of Oyo Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.