Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,587 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Perl Programming Materials? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Perl Programming Materials? (1564 Views)

Does Anyone Here Have Apache Perl Knowledge? / Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, Which Is The Best For Web Design And Development? / Download The Latest Version Of Perl ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Perl Programming Materials? by DivineOke(f): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2006
Hi folks,

Please can somebody tell me where i can get good material either to download or read on perl programming language? I'd really love a site where i can download an e-book for free on it.

Thanks y'all
Re: Perl Programming Materials? by sbucareer(f): 10:54am On Aug 02, 2006

To learn Perl, you must be comfortable with Unix OS (Operating System). Unix defaultly comes with perl, shell and python compilers. If you want to work on window platform, you will need to download binary for Win32 API.

The best environment to learn Perl is Unix. Once you have any Unix flavor, you do not need to download or install any software. You simply start using your emac (Text editor for Unix) to write your perl code.

After you've entered and saved the program make sure the file is executable by using the command

chmod u+x progname

at the UNIX prompt, where progname is the filename of the program. Now to run the program just type any of the following at the prompt.
perl progname
./progname
progname

If something goes wrong then you may get error messages, or you may get nothing. You can always run the program with warnings using the command

perl -w progname

at the prompt. This will display warnings and other (hopefully) helpful messages before it tries to execute the program. To run the program with a debugger use the command
perl -d progname

Here is example of perl program.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
# Program to do the obvious
#
print 'Hello world.'; # Print a message

Save the program as directed above and run. For good books on Perl vist amazon

Re: Perl Programming Materials? by sbucareer(f): 11:02am On Aug 02, 2006

Mind you Perl is very easy to learn. It will take you at most two days to learn Perl. Look at the API. very small and it points to only one location i.e.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

This is called the shebang! Must be included in any Perl script. Don't expect any help with learning Perl. It is a very easy script language. It could be used by Unix administrator to automate tasks and could be used as a CGI (Common Gateway Interface) for web application development. Then off-course powerful script like PHP has taken over perl in web application development.

Perl could be used for software integration and bridge between application configuration scripts.
Re: Perl Programming Materials? by DivineOke(f): 12:49pm On Aug 03, 2006
sbucareer,

thanx. av downloaded d program. actually its one of my courses on scripting.
Re: Perl Programming Materials? by tmine: 12:53pm On Aug 04, 2006
hi,
well i happen to have some books on perl but dont know how to use them since i dont know anything on programming but i wish to know soon.i own "learning perl" and "advance programming perl".i read it but it seems very odd to me.if u want i could sell them to you.just call me on 08025616793.my name is tope.
Re: Perl Programming Materials? by Zahymaka(m): 3:39am On Aug 05, 2006
Just a thought -- PERL is the best language when it comes to writing regular expressions [regexp]. Just a thought for those waiting on the lines and refusing to jump on.

(1) (Reply)

Do U Know How To Write A Programme On Computer Reservation System? / React Native Will Become The Best Solution For Mobile App Development / How to Upgrade to MySQL 5.0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.