Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? (1418 Views)

Practical Introduction To Python Web Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
Lately, python critics have been winning on the fact that, python's indentation is an inconvinience rather than comfort.
They butress their point with the fact that, python's indentation may not be the most convinient for web programmers, and shell/console addicts as it does not support large scale free form format of webpage markup languages like html, wml and their likes; and also isnt very convinient for console(noob) workers as they dont have the luxury of a markup editor!
A strong point(which i also find disturbing) is the fact that python codebases are usually larger, though easy to debug, it can tend to be a problem finding the bug in the first place in the huge codebase; voluminous codes also mostly mean slower algorithms(from experience).
These among many points being said, i've been wondering....is python's indentation really a cool thing or overrated?? Would you have prefered braces to indentation??
And yea, their is a new python compiler...but this one supports braces!!
http://pythonb.org
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by eldma05: 2:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
hmnnnnn
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by AZeD1(m): 2:18pm On Oct 13, 2014
In my opinion, the indentation is part of what makes python what it is.

Try maintaining badly formatted legacy code in Java and you'll appreciate python's indentation.

1 Like

Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
AZeD1:
In my opinion, the indentation is part of what makes python what it is.

Try maintaining badly formatted legacy code in Java and you'll appreciate python's indentation.
yea, you are right on that one sire...seems this is the only reason we python coders seem to be left with..debugging python is truely easier.
But, lets look at the health of algorithms in general, longer codes means more statement logics, more tokens to seperates and evitably more bytecode to analyse and execute!
Also, i find that python is killing ease and code writing style democracy...thus turning programming from fun & creativity to just creativity.
The only reason why i stil use java over python is the freedom of code writin style(even though java may b a pain in d a$s smtims)
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Olyboy16(m): 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
mobolaji88:

yea, you are right on that one sire...seems this is the only reason we python coders seem to be left with..debugging python is truely easier.
But, lets look at the health of algorithms in general, longer codes means more statement logics, more tokens to seperates and evitably more bytecode to analyse and execute!
Also, i find that python is killing ease and code writing style democracy...thus turning programming from fun & creativity to just creativity.
The only reason why i stil use java over python is the freedom of code writin style(even though java may b a pain in d a$s smtims)
Actually, as much as i love python, i hate the indentation part!! If python had braces, it will probably have beaten php as top server side language. The indentation is a real pain in the a$s!
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by AZeD1(m): 3:13pm On Oct 13, 2014
mobolaji88:

I don't get the highlighted part. There is only one style for writing java (oop).

Also with modern IDE's, code formatting is no longer an issue.

You should try pycharm if you haven't already.
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
AZeD1:

I don't get the highlighted part. There is only one style for writing java (oop).

Also with modern IDE's, code formatting is no longer an issue.

You should try pycharm if you haven't already.
when i said code writing style i dint mean the language logic, i meant the way and culture of writing and arranging your statements, algorithms and semantics.
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by AZeD1(m): 4:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
mobolaji88:

when i said code writing style i dint mean the language logic, i meant the way and culture of writing and arranging your statements, algorithms and semantics.
Ok.
On a side note, you should learn to use your ide's code formatting tools if you don't already do so.
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by laykhorn(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
python indentation is overated. I would have loved python with braces in place of indentation.

1 Like

Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by umaryusuf(m): 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
If u are coming from braces background you will not like python's indentation.

But personally, I love to see programming codes being indented/spaced out as much as possible python or not.
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
AZeD1:

Ok.
On a side note, you should learn to use your ide's code formatting tools if you don't already do so.
you probably havent had the opportunity to program under harsh and sudden conditions. Imagine you're a systems admin and all of a sudden your systems server base security showed signs of being breached and you are tasked with writing algorithms to minimize attacks and automate backup processes of large databases within 30mins...this operation mostly uses console access cos companies dont install things like IDEs on their servers...now tell me, without an IDE do you think you havent lost your job already??
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by drealboy(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
IMHO python indentation is way overrated may be it is because of my adventure with c based languages.
I actually struggled with the indentation when I was learning python.Heck, python with braces would av been better
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
umaryusuf:
If u are coming from braces background you will not like python's indentation.

But personally, I love to see programming codes being indented/spaced out as much as possible python or not.
Best Comment so far..
Re: Would You Have Prefered Python with Braces to python with Indentation? by Djtm(m): 11:51pm On Oct 18, 2014
would have preferred python with braces. indentation was one of the things that knocked me outta python.

(1) (Reply)

A-Z Web Development Course!!! Become An Expert Web Development / Software Engineers Needed / Where Are All My Trolls Gone Too?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.