Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Things You Should Never Say On A Plane - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Should Never Say On A Plane (1435 Views)

Passengers At Abuja Airport Sleep Under Turkish Airline Plane / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
Things not to yell on a plane: “I have Ebola! You’re all screwed!” then, “I was just kidding!” Oops. On Oct. 8, a man from Philadelphia who was coughing during a U.S. Airways flight reportedly said just that. As you would imagine, things did not go well from there: The flight attendant announced over the loudspeaker that this man was “an idiot.” And when the plane landed, the kidder was promptly removed by men in hazmat suits. “The crew really is the law,” says Christopher Elliott, a travel consumer advocate.

It doesn’t even matter if what the crew said happened, actually happened. “Only the perception of the flight attendant matters,” explains aviation law expert, Gerald C. Sterns. “Whatever the problem, all the attendant needs to say is Passenger X may ‘interfere’ with their duties or otherwise pose a problem to the orderly progress of the flight.”

Source https://www.yahoo.com/travel/8-things-not-to-say-on-a-plane-99670284532.html

More stories @ www.theniministore.com/blog

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 12:59pm On Oct 14, 2014
So in the interest of avoiding hysteria and promoting smoother air travel, here are eight other things you should never say on a plane:

1. “I just came from Liberia.”

Ebola ravaged areas are in the red circle. (Photo: Thinkstock)

We already know you shouldn’t joke about ebola, but don’t make a crack about West Africa either. Whether warranted or not, you may totally freak out the other passengers. According to a recent NBC survey, 58 percent of respondents favored a U.S. travel ban from the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. Only 20 percent were against a ban. And while you’re at it, “Don’t joke about any communicable disease,” says George Hobica, president of Airfarewatchdog.com.

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:00pm On Oct 14, 2014
2. “None of us thought the pilot was intoxicated.”

You would think that would be a good thing. But according to Lisa Carter-Knight, that was the statement she made to a member of the crew of her JetBlue flight from Philly to Boston before she was kicked off the plane. The real problem was that a different passenger had made a joke that led to the plane being cleared and the pilot being ordered to take a sobriety test. Carter-Knight live tweeted the incident. The pilot passed his test, prompting Carter-Knight’s comment. Then she was told the pilot was “not comfortable” having her on the flight. Moral of the story: “Don’t joke about the pilot being drunk,” says Hobica. Or tweet about anything related to it.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:01pm On Oct 14, 2014
3. “Bomb.”

You don’t have to even imply you have one — you can’t even say the word. Just ask Michael Doyle. Doyle suffers from Tourette’s Syndrome, which causes often uncontrollable verbal ticks. Last year, before a JetBlue flight out of Washington, D.C., despite having medical documentation of his condition, Doyle was barred from boarding his flight after saying bomb nearly 100 times. Doyle, who at the time had been watching constant new coverage of the Boston Marathon bombing, said he was telling himself, “Don’t say bomb.” But “When you try to suppress Tourette’s, it comes out even worse,” he explained to ABC News. It’s such a touchy subject in a post-9/11 world, “You don’t even want to say, ‘She’s the bomb’ on an airplane,” says Hobica. “Just say ‘She’s the best.’”

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
4. “I’m going to blow up.”

Even if you just mean you having digestive issues. According to Elliott, there once was an incident where flight attendants had asked a German man to sit down on the plane. He told them he was going to blow up. “The man had to go to the bathroom,” he says. Apparently “going to blow up” is a clunky translation of a German phrase people use when they need to relieve themselves.

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
5. “I’m not a terrorist.”

According to Live and Let’s Fly blogger Matthew Klint, after he snapped a photo onboard a United Airlines flight last year, a flight attendant rushed over and asked him to stop. He says he put his camera phone away, then added: “I want you to understand why I was taking pictures. I hope you didn’t think I was a terrorist. Here is my business card [offering her one]. I write about United Airlines on … my blog.” Shortly thereafter, a Global Services rep told Klint, “The captain is not comfortable with you on this flight. You’ll need to gather your things and we’ll find another way to get you to Istanbul.” Booted. So if you can’t say you’re not a terrorist, definitely don’t joke you are one either.

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:07pm On Oct 14, 2014
6. “Wow, rudest gate agent.”

Tweeting things can also get you kicked off a plane. (Photo: Thinkstock)

Earlier this year, Duff Watson and his kids were removed from a Southwest Airlines flight in Denver after he tweeted this complaint. And definitely don’t insult a member of the flight crew. “Keep it to: ‘I’ll have a Diet Coke with ice, please,” Hobica says about your interactions with the flight crew. “’Please,’ ‘thank you,’ ‘no thank you.’ Don’t forget, if you insult flight attendants they have plastic handcuffs.”

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:09pm On Oct 14, 2014
7. “F*ck,” “D*mn,” “Sh*t” or “B*tch!”

“Swearing can absolutely get you thrown off a plane,” says Hobica. "Flight attendants don’t really want to hear from you to begin with. Everything is up to the flight crew and you never know if someone is in a bad mood or has no sense of humor.”

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by myads890(m): 1:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
8. “Does that door open during flight?” or “We’re going to crash!”

Don’t pretend you want to open this mid-air. (Photo: Thinkstock)

Just for good measure, never saying anything that could make you look mentally disturbed or could be taken the wrong way. “Flying is a pretty serious enterprise,” says Hobica. “It’s really best not joke at all.”

Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by adanduka: 1:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
9. I think I have a fever and I need to go use the toilet.
Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by atikubaba(m): 1:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
hmmm,lots of unwritten laws
Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by Tenim47(m): 1:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
U talk much
Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by frezeh: 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2014
So if i mistakenly joke with any member of the crew i would be kicked out even in a first class
Re: Things You Should Never Say On A Plane by Mrval20(m): 1:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
If your kid's name is Akbar, you better not call his name in the plane or else you'd be thrown out of the plane or even get arrested; and that's when every other passenger must have left the plane for you two.

(1) (Reply)

5 Things To Remember When Living Alone In Lagos For The First Time / Abuja To Sokoto In Pics / # Confused: An Optometrist In Need Of A School Abroad For Msc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.