Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! (3913 Views)

The Man Who Has The Largest Car Collection In The World! / A Lady Drove This Killer Machine Today And Got Everyone Talking (Pic) / G-Wagen Vs Hummer H3 [PHOTO] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by dotna(m): 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
On Monday 13 October 2014 - 26 years, 215 countries and very nearly 900 000km later - Holtorf brought his G-wagen home to the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim, where it will go on show to visitors in the Classic Cars section from 21 October - and be immortalised in the Guinness book of World Records as the world’s most traveled car .

For Holtorf, now 77 years, the Mercedes G-Wagen 300 GD, which Christine affectionately christened 'Otto', was the ideal vehicle for a journey such as this.

“When I bought the car in 1988, the Mercedes-Benz people promised me, 'Where there's a G, there's away.'

“I was a bit sceptical,” he said. “After all, I'd already seen something of the world and had I some idea of what it would have to go through!”

But over the years his trust in Otto's capabilities grew, as they travelled together a distance equal to the moon and back plus twice more round the world, including at least 250 000km off-road, on loose gravel or corrugated washboard surfaces, through giant potholes, and up and rocky mountain passes - the equivalent of 10 times that distance on civilised central European roads.

“Actually the G was always overladen,” admitted Holtorf, “which is why I fitted reinforced springs and heavy-duty shock absorbers. Other than that, it's still standard; the whole drive-train - engine, transmission and axles - is still original, and neither the frame nor the body are showing any cracks.”

Christine died of cancer in 2010, but Holtorf went on, as she had insisted, and by journey's end he had travelled around 215 countries with Otto.

Find out more about Otto’s travels on Gunter Holtorf's website; it's (mostly) in German, but the pictures, maps and videos are worth a look even if you don't read German. http://www.ottosreise.de/start.html

From the pics below are
1. Otto with Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche, centre, and Gunter Holtorf, right.
2. Crossing a rickety bridge in Guinea Republic - 1991
3. Otto getting to know the local ladies - India, 2005
4.Otto on the roof of the world, China - 2011

Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by adioolayi(m): 4:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
Are you for real?..215 Countries out of 196 Countries of the world..or some countries were counted more than once cry

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by dotna(m): 4:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
Malawi 1989

California 2002

Botswana 1989

All the remaining pictures are at his precious website

Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by dotna(m): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2014
adioolayi:
Are you for real?..215 Countries out of 196 Countries of the world..or some countries were counted more than once cry

Remember he started from 1988 and some countries are no more

Should You Take A Pension buyout?
https://www.nairaland.com/1947738/should-take-pension-buyout
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by 9icetoo(m): 5:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Wow
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by jacarantha(m): 5:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
Now this should be the advert for G-wagen!!!

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by Lusaint(m): 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2014
The man try o
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by dotna(m): 6:01pm On Oct 14, 2014
jacarantha:
Now this should be the advert for G-wagen!!!

Mercedes want to collect the g wagen back from him because it's very precious and they want to keep it in their museum
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by missdebs(f): 8:06pm On Oct 14, 2014
next time u wondering y a G wagon is so expensive....here is y

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by Readonee35L(m): 8:38pm On Oct 14, 2014
mehn
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by 9inches(m): 9:41pm On Oct 14, 2014
Who could translate what he is saying in the Nigeria video?
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by sultaan(m): 9:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
I don't think he came through Nigeria because the truck would have been impounded for not paying import duties he would have qualified as a smuggler.

How many foreign number plates have you seen in tour life time in Nigeria as an individual.

In Atlanta where I am I have seen some plates from Canada and Alaska.
Re: Picture Of The Man Who Drove His Mercedes G-wagen To 215 Countries For 26 Years! by shegs2009(m): 11:59pm On Mar 27, 2015
moral lesson: Never give up wat u started, d ending dey sweet pass beginning...whatever u going thur will end som day so keep pray 4 God will c u thur

(1) (Reply)

Trip From PH To Lagos To PH / Engine Rebuild / I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.