Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) (734 Views)

Footballer Dickson Etuhu Arrested In Sweden After Brawl At A Nightclub / Warri Wolves Keeps Nigeria Flag Flying In CAF Competition / Peter Olayinka Banned In Albania For Signing For Two Clubs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) by AndyBlazePenis(f): 10:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
Tensions were high heading into the politically-
charged clash and the referee had to indefinitely
postpone the match just before half-time after the
players began fighting.
Serbia's highly charged Euro 2016 qualifier at home to fellow Balkan nation Albania had to be suspended after a drone flown on to the pitch triggered a brawl between players and fans.

There is plenty of political tension between the two
nations, with Serbia having fought a with Kosovo (made
up largely of ethnic Albanians) since the dissolution of
Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

Despite Kosovo now claiming independence - which is
not officially recognised by the United Nations, which is
why they do not have a Fifa-ratified team - both Serbia
and Albania remain bitter over the conflict and seven of
the visitor' 23-man squad were born in the Kosovo
region.
With the score still level at 0-0, a small drone was flown
on to the pitch towards the end of the first half carrying
a Kosovo flag, pausing the game momentarily, before
Serbia's Aleksandar Mitrovic ripped the flag down.
Some of Albania's players reacted angrily and charged
at Mitrovic, which initiated a mass brawl, with both sets
of players, numerous coaching staff an even fans from
the stadium rushing on to the field of play to get
involved.

Referee Martin Atkinson suspended the game and no
restart time has been allocated, leaving the Euro 2016
qualifier in limbo.

Albania have never before reached a major
international tournament but topped Group I heading
into Tuesday's game after beating Portugal and holding
Denmark to a draw in their opening two matches.

www.goal.com/x/en-gb/news/5185368

Cc: mukina2 semid4lyfe

Re: Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) by StealthyMe(m): 11:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
Whoever let the flag unto the field should be penalised...

1 Like

Re: Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
Wow! No love lost between these two. I still remember the massacres.

1 Like

Re: Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 15, 2014
What will happen to my bet Now?
Re: Serbia-albania Abandoned After Brawl Over Flag-flying Drone (picture) by Chanchit: 8:22am On Oct 15, 2014
That guy that tored the flag too should be suspended. Though I'm not sure if SE would fight you if you do same to Nigeria's flag, but if you try this with an Arab nation, they will kill that guy, no two ways about it.

(1) (Reply)

Neuer: I Won't Win Ballon D'or Because I Don't Pose In Underpants Like Ronaldo / Former Footballer Samuel Kuffour Shaves Hair After Ghana Loses To Ivory Coast / Weekends Tips For Wise Punters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.