Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. (26916 Views)

Buhari Declares Total Support For Palestinian State / Buhari Declares Open 2 Day Retreats For Ministerial-designates In Abuja Today / Aliyu Congratulates Buhari, Declares Curfew In Niger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by datribune: 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2014
Agukagu:

Buhari's credentials qualify him as a good candidate for the position EFCC or ICPC chairman. For the presidency? It is a no no no.

Pls try & educate urself on d history of our country & u will realize d quality of d man, GMB & why knowledgeable people wit a sense of history highly revere him. GMB is not only about anti-corruption. He is d total package. Thru economic ingenuity GMB rescued nigeria frm an economic catastrophe worse than what Greece experienced recently while rejecting d IMF loan & its slavish conditionalities. During his short stint as head of state he showed dat if we believe in ourselves & look inwards our country would be great.
GMB has all it takes to be a good president. He has d wisdom, d assertiveness, d tact, d leadership & political sagacity needed to rescue d nation frm its present travails. He would be a great president.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by gratiaeo(m): 3:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
Buhari is a bigots. A tribal bigot can never rule Nigeria under democracy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by deking(m): 3:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
Man UTD thought the young David Moyes would be able to lead them to the promise Land but alas they had to run back to the experience of the old Van Gaal to rescue their declining fortunes under David Moyes.

Chelsea thought the young Adrea Vilas Boas will be the one to take them to the promise land but alas they had to run back to the experience of Mourinho to make them formidable again.

Arsenal fans complain about Wenger but I will encourage them to beware of haste generalization. Arsenal would have won the league if other teams didn't keep spending heavily to improve their squads.

This is not to say that young coaches are not doing well but experience shows that young folks are often better at building on a well laid structure. Pep Guadiola built on the structures left him (Both at Barca and Bayern). Others who tried to build themselves are still struggling (Klopp (Dortmund), Diego Simeone (Atletico) and Rodgers (Liverpool) comes to mind). They have shown signs of brillance but are largely still struggling to be consistent.

The current political and economic climate in Nigeria cannot and will never bring out the best in any young politician. They may get choked with the Mirad of problems. I put it to all that perhaps a Fashola wouldn't have been able to perform when all hell was let loose on Lagos in OBJ's bid to secure Lagos for the PDP. Fashola thrived because he built on what Tinubu left.

Unfortuantely even Jonathan came into a mess and has not been able to fix the country not necessarily because he is bad, but the problems of the nation are perhaps beyond what he has the capacity to handle. He might just be suffering from the Adrea Vilas Boas syndrome, skillful but immature and surrounded by the old guard who wouldn't co-operate

A Buhari has experience, is old and definitely couldn't be much interested in looting now. Furthermore, experience has also shown that most men become wiser as they age, they look back and see all their past mistakes or inactions and long for an opportunity to correct them and make an impact. Many who have held or occupied positions will understand this principle.

My take Let Buhari correct the ills in a single 4 year term till 2019 and then let Jonathan continue from 2019 to 2023 (the four years in the wilderness would have opened his eyes to all the areas he could have fully met the expectations of the people).

Let us debate as honourable men and women.

God Bless Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by teehrt: 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Buhari again? APC has nt gotten a more credible and strong contender in that case. they just lost d presidential racr in my opinion, if he wins the primary.
but seriously, must it be Buhariiiiii. He cud just b a king maker. chai na wa o!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Gorgeous58(f): 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
Pls Buhari should retire already. Abi they want APC to lose woefully?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by just2simple: 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
Buhari again,ths Boko ar rams chief no dey tired? He wil stl lose even in hs grave. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by collinsVP: 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Amaechi just disgraced himself by talking like a child. He claimed he spent 1.5 billion for Ebola. See corruption being promoted.

May be he bought some sophiscated weapons of mass. destruction for BH under the guise of Ebola prevention
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Godmann(m): 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1949693/declaration-today-buharis-loyalists

Why change the winning link? Who i splaying this foolish game? PDP things?
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by PhockPhockMan: 3:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
omenka:
Abegi, go siddon. Everybody, including yourself, knows that the name "Jonathan" can be substituted for corruption in any sentence. Little wonder he's spent over two hours in two different presidential media chat trying to distinguish between "his name" and stealing!!

Go shiiit a brick man.
Buhari, your lot's nightmare, is here to run eight good years of uninterrupted growth, and put you guys out of business for good.

You can keep collecting your N500 N300 TAN stipends though. Jonathan will be allowed to be making payments from far away KiriKiri maximum.

Sai Buhari!! smileysmiley
Keep vomiting rubbish, I don't care. Whether Jonathan is corrupt, well, I'm not EFCC /ICPC.
Omenka, I don't need to be paid to support President Jonathan’s second term ambition, because I'm financially Okay.
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by kilokeys(m): 3:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
where im see 24million naira again..

haba.. if im use that money buy cow.. he would be a rich cattle rearer o.
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Ezebinaugwu(m): 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
DONGOYARO1:
Tribal and religous blackmail is the only tool you lot can use against General Mohammodu Buhari but i can assure you that it wont work this time around.

Which Northern christian would vote for GEJ? Chibok is a largely christian community; 90% of the abducted Chibok girls are christians. Have GEJ rescued them? Didnt he just recently(yesterday) ridicle their parents by not granting them audience?

You are highly mistaken if you think the Northern Christians which also includes the Chibok parents would vote for GEJ

my friend stop being I.d.o.I.t.I.c. coz I know Chibok community in d north are up to one quarter of d hole Christians in d north. Leme sound it to ur ears the CHRISTIANS in d north will never ever vote for BUHARI
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by jmaine: 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
omenka:
Nooooo!!! You guys are scared of a life of penury that is why you insist, despite his gargantuan failures, that Jonathan be retained.

It's pointless for people to ascribe legitimate despise of Buhari to political gains, most commentators online do not have any direct benefits from the powers of the day.

I will take a GEJ over Buhari any day, anytime, and anywhere unless there is a factor like Pat Utomi on the ballot paper.

omenka:
Only a fool tries to fix a problem using the same failed methods and expect a different outcome.

Yes the opposition is a perennial fool for always propping the total failure called Buhari for elections . . . .

omenka:
Most of yall nay sayers know in your heart of hearts that Jonathan by no means compares to Buhari. Join the progressives my brother, it aint too late to have a change of heart for good.

GEJ towers above Buhari in all ramifications . . . . . . .

omenka:
. A picture of the cover page of the Guardian in 2011 where Jonathan said he wouldn't run in 2015 was uploaded here, how's that for Jonathan keeping his word

Now this is a confirmation that Buhari is just another fraudulent character like other politicians. At least you don't see GEJ supporters boasting about GEJ words as the gospel truth that can't be dispelled . . .

That's the difference . . . .

omenka:
The name Jonathan is synonymous with failure and corruption, and the latter explains the mortal fear he and his handlers have for Buhari.!

Dead wrong, GEJ will gladly meet Buhari at the polls since it takes next to nothing to rubbish his already tainted candidacy . . . .

omenka:
They would stop at nothing to assassinate his character (the only weapon in their arsenal), tagging him an extremist and what not

The game of politics is about who deploys the most effective and virulent propaganda , so what's the fuss bruv ?

omenka:
whereas on the contrary, every known political bigwig who's been found to have links with Boko Haram are all members of PDP, from the VP to Senators and Governors!!

Sheriff and Ndume are core ANPP/APC men, moreover, the blackmail support for BH is a Northern issue and cuts across all political parties.

This has always been my stance on BH

omenka:

Join the progressives my brother, it aint too late to have a change of heart for good.

Only if people like Pat Utomi et al., are on the ballot paper. Rather than the supreme plot to return power to the North via a certain rabid Failure called Buharettard.

omenka:
Sai Buhari!!!

For failure . . . . . . . . .
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by femmy2010(m): 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
DONGOYARO1:
Tribal and religous blackmail is the only tool you lot can use against General Mohammodu Buhari but i can assure you that it wont work this time around.

Which Northern christian would vote for GEJ? Chibok is a largely christian community; 90% of the abducted Chibok girls are christians. Have GEJ rescued them? Didnt he just recently(yesterday) ridicle their parents by not granting them audience?

You are mistaken if you think the Northern Christians which also includes the Chibok parents would vote for GEJ

My bruva,
Nigerians are truly wiser now.
No one would be cowed by those religious and tribal sentiments again.
I use to be in the same "Blinded" school of thought of "Buhari is a terrorist" but my bruva I am wiser now.
Many Nigerians have un-fooled themselves of the previous propaganda tool of Buhari is a jihadist.
Come 2015 the populace wish would be manifested.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Cannonleo(m): 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
tosag:
If APC is serious about winning dis election, all they have to do is put together a combined team of Fashola/Rochas or Fashola/Oshiomole and it would be curtains for Jonathan.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin u gat it wella dats the combinations i was wating for[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by datribune: 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ovialekhe:
That man is an extreme jihadist. Will rather sit at home playing ludo dan vote for him.His fake smile is so satanic.

History does not support ur claims. He is a patriot who in d national interest overthrew d utterly corrupt & inept govt of Shagari though he was a fellow northerner & a Muslim.
In d last elections d General's running-mate is d activist & revered Xtian leader, Pastor Tunde Bakare. These ar really not d actions of a religious & tribal extremist.
GMB is a man of integrity who during his brief stint as nigeria's leader showed d world dat Nigeria could be really great.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Wisepac: 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2014
PROFESOR TAM DAVID WEST
ABOUT BUHARI.
Buhari is one of the cleanest
men I have ever met in my life. If
anybody wants me to dislike
Buhari, such person should give
me an example of his
corruption. I will run away from
him totally. But right now, there
is no evidence. On the contrary,
the more they attack him on this
issue of corruption, the more
they are making him Gold bier.
I will give two examples.
One, Babangida thought Buhari
was making a lot of money on
counter trading, so he set up
two independent bodies to
investigate counter trading. One
of the bodies was headed by J.K.
Randle, while the second was
headed by Prof. Aboyade of
blessed memory. None of them
found anything against Buhari.
None. I attested before the two
bodies. Great Aboyade
commission was digging into
Buhari’s counter trading, J.K.
Randle, who’s still alive, did the
same thing. But both of them
produced reports that showed
that counter trading was so
clean and was making so much
money for Nigeria.
Then two, soon after Obasanjo
was sworn in, there was a social
function for him in Lagos or so,
then surprisingly, some people
tried to praise Buhari, Obasanjo
said: ‘don’t praise him, I have
not probed him.’ It was after
that incident that Obasanjo set
up Dr. Haroun’s probe panel of
the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF).
Haroun probed PTF inside out.
Buhari was discovered to be as
clean as snow. You know, why
he agreed to be the head of PTF
was not to condone what
Abacha was doing then, but he
saw it as a way of serving the
country and he did well. I have
the record. Haroun came out
and said PTF account was
audited every year while Federal
Government account was not
audited in 36 years.
You know Babangida detained
Buhari for 40 months after he
overthrew him. Buhari’s mother
died while he was in detention
and as a Muslim, I expected
Babangida to rise above politics
and allow Buhari to go bury his
mother. If he was released, I am
sure he wouldn’t have run away.
Buhari was not allowed to go
bury his mother. But in the night
after the woman was buried,
Babangida released Buhari. His
son died, the same thing
happened.
Anyway, after Buhari came out
of detention, he told Babangida
to tell the world about his
corruption. The records are
there.
The same thing happened with
the PTF. He told Obasanjo to
publish the report of the panel,
but Obasanjo could not publish
it because it was a certificate of
honour for Buhari. If that
Haroun’s report had any page in
it that indicted Buhari, Obasanjo
would have used that to
disqualify Buhari from
contesting against him.
Buhari is clean. He is not corrupt.
To show how Buhari loves
Nigeria, he doesn’t like spending
Nigerian money frivolously.
When he overthrew Shehu
Shagari, Buhari never changed
any chair or curtain in Dodan
Barracks. Buhari used what
Shagari was using until he left.
As minister, our total pocket
money under Buhari was N200
per month. You could spend less
than N200 without accounting
for it, but anything above N200,
you must account for it. When
he increased the money to
N250, we clapped for him at the
executive council.
Now, as a former governor of
the defunct north-eastern state,
former minister of petroleum,
former head of state, former
executive chairman of PTF,
Buhari has no house in Abuja. If
he goes to Abuja, he stays in a
private hotel. He has no house
either uphill or downhill, apart
from his house in Kaduna.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by laurentunt: 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's so obvious you guys cant stand having GMB in a free and fair contest with your incompetent and corrupt GEJ.
do you guys enjoy the way the country is heading or what,
GMB is contesting under APC if you think he can't win, then wait for him at the poll.
Concentrate your support for the PDP, and let us have peace
if you thing he is too old, go to court and contest is eligibility.
if you think he his a religious fanatic, take your evidence to the police or sss
else leave him alone.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by experimentist: 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
The mod wey put dis to front page with that yeye comment from phockphockman na idiott.. Buhari will rule dis country wether seun or any damn mod couple with PDP rats like it or not!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by jonuel1(m): 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
mokaflex:
Buhari is the only hope for 9ja. I pray he wins

Meaning you are hopeless and a problem to the entity nomenclatured Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Ezebinaugwu(m): 3:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
femmy2010:

Call him Lucifer,Call him Jihad itself etc, he would get my Vote come 2014.

Carry on GMB.

Who cares

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Lstar4real(m): 3:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
We still dwell in the past and slavery mentallity still Killing most people in this country that's why this country never move forward since 1960....GEJ no dey try at all...God commot am he's of no use to this country....if a man as old as GMB has been defeated many times and still never give up....its symptoms of example to everyone of us....if he will be the Man to take Nigeria to the next level abeg God grant am access...... GEJ no Try at all....GMB all the way....GBam.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Deepfreezer(m): 3:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
The kinda of names supporting Buhari on nairaland:
mustapha
muhammed
mulumu
yahaya
yayafat
yaradua
abdulahmed
Abdul
Ahmed
Ali
umaru
sorry if I mistakenly mention you oo. na just illustration.
Since 1999 Gej has been the best president we had. give him more time and also stop yall boko activities he will transforn this country for good.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Malawian(m): 3:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
wisdom77:
Happening Now in Abuja!

This man must be the Jesus or Muhammad of our time, the multitude is in millions just to witness a declaration by Buhari we are having a mammoth crowd as if it is a campaign. A man driven by emotion on sighting Buhari started wiping.
HE IS YOUR MUHAMMAD OF YOUR TIME !!!
remove my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ from the same sentence as this human scum.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by kay29000(m): 3:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
I saw this as I was getting a haircut a few hours ago. GREAT! I never was a supporter of GEJ, but I have to say he (GEJ) has done some good in his 6 years in Office. But, I feel Buhari can do better. Buhari doesn't look like someone that would know people holding Nigeria back and do nothing about it. Buhari is not the type that would stop from doing things that would better the living of the masses just to please some few elites. For these reasons and a few more, Buhari has my vote.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
datribune post=27163162]I don't care 4 d PDP & APC but I care greatly about d patriot, GMB. if elections ar a referendum on performance while in office, GMB has proved himself & I will vote 4 him any day, any time, any platform.
Wit no visible achievement to point to, I can not in good conscience vote 4 GEJ. What Are His Achievements?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by jahbiz: 3:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
I Will Never Contest Elections Again - Buhariby idumuose(m):11:56amOnDec 20,2013
‎​Presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) General Muhammdu Buhari (rtd) has said that he will not seek any elective office again after Saturday's Presidential election.
Speaking at grand finale of his electioneering campaign in Abuja yesterday, Buhari said the 2011 campaign was significant for him because it is an election in which more unambigously than the previous two, “2003 and 2007, our victory is assured as evidenced by the unprecedented turnout by people and spontaneous popular acclaim all over the country.”
“This campaign is the third and last one for me since after it I will not present myself again for election into the office of the president,” Buhari said.
While commending voters for coming out mass to vote last Saturday, the CPC presidential candidate however, said it was not good enough, “you must maintain your presence during the counting and collation of votes and announcements of results. Because you haven't done this in all cases, they have already started turning your victories into defeats."
Buhari said the “the massive rigging that took place last Saturday is unacceptable and you must not allow a repeat performance next Saturday”.
Although he did not directly talk about the failed alliance between the CPC and the Action Congress of Nigeria, the former head of state said the task of defeating the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the election is a collective one saying, “in the end we must all in unison send the PDP government packing by giving it a punch on the mouth”.
mouth
www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily /old/index.php/news-news/16766- i-will-never-contest-elections-again
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by kay29000(m): 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
Wisepac:
PROFESOR TAM DAVID WEST
ABOUT BUHARI.
Buhari is one of the cleanest
men I have ever met in my life. If
anybody wants me to dislike
Buhari, such person should give
me an example of his
corruption. I will run away from
him totally. But right now, there
is no evidence. On the contrary,
the more they attack him on this
issue of corruption, the more
they are making him Gold bier.
I will give two examples.
One, Babangida thought Buhari
was making a lot of money on
counter trading, so he set up
two independent bodies to
investigate counter trading. One
of the bodies was headed by J.K.
Randle, while the second was
headed by Prof. Aboyade of
blessed memory. None of them
found anything against Buhari.
None. I attested before the two
bodies. Great Aboyade
commission was digging into
Buhari’s counter trading, J.K.
Randle, who’s still alive, did the
same thing. But both of them
produced reports that showed
that counter trading was so
clean and was making so much
money for Nigeria.
Then two, soon after Obasanjo
was sworn in, there was a social
function for him in Lagos or so,
then surprisingly, some people
tried to praise Buhari, Obasanjo
said: ‘don’t praise him, I have
not probed him.’ It was after
that incident that Obasanjo set
up Dr. Haroun’s probe panel of
the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF).
Haroun probed PTF inside out.
Buhari was discovered to be as
clean as snow. You know, why
he agreed to be the head of PTF
was not to condone what
Abacha was doing then, but he
saw it as a way of serving the
country and he did well. I have
the record. Haroun came out
and said PTF account was
audited every year while Federal
Government account was not
audited in 36 years.
You know Babangida detained
Buhari for 40 months after he
overthrew him. Buhari’s mother
died while he was in detention
and as a Muslim, I expected
Babangida to rise above politics
and allow Buhari to go bury his
mother. If he was released, I am
sure he wouldn’t have run away.
Buhari was not allowed to go
bury his mother. But in the night
after the woman was buried,
Babangida released Buhari. His
son died, the same thing
happened.
Anyway, after Buhari came out
of detention, he told Babangida
to tell the world about his
corruption. The records are
there.
The same thing happened with
the PTF. He told Obasanjo to
publish the report of the panel,
but Obasanjo could not publish
it because it was a certificate of
honour for Buhari. If that
Haroun’s report had any page in
it that indicted Buhari, Obasanjo
would have used that to
disqualify Buhari from
contesting against him.
Buhari is clean. He is not corrupt.
To show how Buhari loves
Nigeria, he doesn’t like spending
Nigerian money frivolously.
When he overthrew Shehu
Shagari, Buhari never changed
any chair or curtain in Dodan
Barracks. Buhari used what
Shagari was using until he left.
As minister, our total pocket
money under Buhari was N200
per month. You could spend less
than N200 without accounting
for it, but anything above N200,
you must account for it. When
he increased the money to
N250, we clapped for him at the
executive council.
Now, as a former governor of
the defunct north-eastern state,
former minister of petroleum,
former head of state, former
executive chairman of PTF,
Buhari has no house in Abuja. If
he goes to Abuja, he stays in a
private hotel. He has no house
either uphill or downhill, apart
from his house in Kaduna.

Thanks for this.
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by computermouse(m): 4:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
naija2dabone:
The worst thing that can happen to Northern presidential aspirations in 2015 is for Buhari to be on the APC ballot.

On Friday, 23rd August, 1985, the military government of Major-General Mohammadu Buhari decided to place me under arrest. My crime was that I wrote, among others, an article entitled: “Counter-trading Nigeria’s Future” in the National Concord, exposing the government’s scam of diverting public funds into private coffers through barter-trade with Brazil. A man by the name of Benson Norman was sent from the State Security Services (SSS) to my office to get me. Not finding me, he left a note that I must present myself unfailingly at the SSS office at 15 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi Lagos the next Monday morning.

However, on Sunday, 25th August, 1985, Lateef Aminu came first thing in the morning to my house to inform me that the government of Buhari/Idiagbon had been overthrown. For this reason, I am fond of telling people that God brought about a change of government in Nigeria just because of me.

Coup-plotter

Under the Buhari/Idiagbon regime, once you ended up at 15 Awolowo Road, you may never be heard of again. Decree Number 2 of 1984 empowered Tunde Idiagbon to arrest and detain anybody indefinitely without trial and without legal reprieve. After Buhari was overthrown, Mohammadu Gambo opened the prison doors of 15 Awolowo Road on public television, revealing people in various stages of UnCloth and malnutrition that had been kept in the dungeons without trial by Buhari’s hound-dogs.

As self-imposed Head of State, Buhari had no regard for human rights. Immediately he seized power, he announced that he would “tamper with” the press. Soon, the infamous Decree Number 4 was promulgated which made even the publication of the truth a punishable offence. Under this cover, Buhari jailed innocent journalists, including Tunde Thompson and Nduka Irabo. He abolished civil liberties, promulgated retroactive decrees enabling him to kill Nigerians through jungle justice, proscribed civil society organizations and professional groups and exercised “absolute” power.

This same Buhari would now have us believe that he has gone through some metamorphosis and has become a democrat. I am sure you will forgive me if people like me don’t believe him. Buhari is not, has never been, and will never be, a democrat. Only in Nigeria would a man with his track record, who came to power through a military coup that illegally overthrew a democratic government, now be acclaimed as a democrat. It is on record that Buhari’s military regime is the only one in Nigeria’s history that failed to promulgate a program for return to civilian rule.

Facts and fiction

So what exactly qualifies Bihari as a democrat today? Precious little! There is nothing democratic about forming and joining political parties just in order to be the presidential candidate. Little wonder then that Buhari’s parties have a short shelf-life. Buhari would like to be Nigeria’s head of state once again. He can no longer achieve this through the barrel of a gun. The only route now open to him is through the democratic process. That is the reason why he now conveniently fashions himself as a democrat. It is merely a means to an end; no more, no less.

Buhari’s reputation as an anti-corruption crusader is also a myth. As head of state, he did not make any dent in Nigerian corruption. All we got was a cosmetic “war against indiscipline.” The counter-trade scam happened under his watch. Rather than deal with it, he sent his hound-dogs after nonentities like me who dared to expose it. That scam was no different, in scope and scale, from the petroleum subsidy and other corruption scandals that have since plagued Nigeria. The Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) that Buhari headed under Abacha was also a citadel of corruption. While Buhari himself might not have enriched himself, his cronies and those who worked under him did so handsomely.

On three different occasions, Buhari has run for the presidency. On three different occasions he has failed. That should really be enough. If, as seems likely, he were to run for the presidency a fourth time in 2015, there is no question that he would fail yet again. Try as he might again and again, Mohammadu Buhari can never be President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Buhari’s sectarianism

There is a fundamental reason behind this. Buhari is a lousy politician. He is an unbending former military dictator and not a democratic consensus-builder. Like his new ally, Bola Tinubu, Buhari is a regional, sectional politician. Such politicians are practically impossible to package and market nationally in the ethnically-delicate Nigeria of today.

Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Nasir El’Rufai, one of those Northerners who deserve to be serious contenders for the presidency of Nigeria, observed that Buhari remains “perpetually unelectable” as a result of his “insensitivity to Nigeria’s diversity and his parochial focus.” This is an elegant way of saying that politically, Buhari has an uncanny tendency to put his foot in his mouth. He talks before thinking of the political implications of his words. He shoots from the hip.

The strength of Obasanjo, which enabled him to capture the presidency on two different occasions, was that he was perceived as a broadminded politician, not overly partial to his people in the South-West. As a matter of fact, in his first election, his people did not want him. The strength of Goodluck Jonathan, which propelled him to win the presidency, was that he was able to string together a coalition that stretched both north and south of the Niger. The weakness of Buhari is that he is totally unacceptable to people outside his region.

Buhari is a Northern regional champion. As head of state in the 1980’s, his government was unapologetically Northern. No attempt was made to balance the ticket at the top. It was the only regime in Nigeria’s history headed by two Northerners. When he seized power, Buhari put Shagari, the Northern head of state he overthrew, under house arrest. But then he jailed Alex Ekwueme, the Southern vice-president. You may well ask what makes Shagari less culpable for the misdeeds of the Second Republic than his number-two man. The simple fact was that Buhari was Fulani as was Shagari; but Ekwueme was Igbo.

Impolitic words

At the height of the Sharia debate during the Obasanjo administration, Buhari declared that Muslims should vote only for fellow Muslims. This was politically suicidal for a man seeking national office. He became an advocate for implementation of Sharia all over Nigeria. He protested to the Oyo State governor, in the context of a dispute between Fulani herdsmen and indigenous farmers in the state, that “your people are killing my people.” This turned out to be unfounded and perhaps the reverse.

His threats during the campaign for the 2011 elections incited widespread violence in the North after he lost. His supporters went on a rampage; looting and killing; in spite of the fact that, by all accounts, the elections were adjudged the most free and fair in the history of Nigeria’s current democratic experiment. By the time the mayhem had subsided, over 1000 people had been slaughtered in cold blood and some 65,000 displaced.

Forgetting that a statement made in Hausa would readily be translated into English, Buhari later declared unapologetically in a BBC interview: “If what happened in 2011 should again happen in 2015, by the grace of God, the dog and the baboon would all be soaked in blood.” These are the tokens of an irresponsible politician, whose ambitions for power supersede the national interest. Who then are the dogs and baboons that Buhari has in mind to soak in blood if and when he loses yet again come 2015? Are they his children or are they those of others?

With the Boko Haram insurgency in the north, Buhari played to the Northern gallery yet again, calling the Jonathan government “the biggest Boko Haram.” Wole Olaniyi was a fly in the wall at a meeting in Kano Government House designed to persuade PDP rebel governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, to decamp to the APC. Assuming that only Northerners were present, Buhari declared the Boko Haram was a “strategic plan” by the government of Goodluck Jonathan to “destroy the North.” When Jonathan declared a state of emergency in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa states, Buhari still saw this with Northern goggles, insinuating that the President is waging war on the North.

President of the North

Without a doubt, Buhari has massive support in the North. Indeed, he is the most popular Northern politician in the North today. But that precisely remains his undoing at the centre. The more he has been identified as a Northern champion, the less attractive he has become as a national choice. Even in the North, his support base is limited to the Muslim population. He does not appeal to Northern Christians. Then there is the added factor of the opposition of his implacable opponents among the Northern elite. Men like Babangida and Atiku would rather die than allow Buhari get to Aso Rock.

One thing is certain, the South-South and the South-East will not vote for Buhari in 2015. Not only that; there are no buyers for Buhari’s sectarian politics in the South-West. No matter what Tinubu might be telling him, the people of the South-West will not vote for Buhari in 2015. We already had the template in 2011, when Buhari tried to sell himself, first by balancing his ticket with a Yoruba man; and then by making sure the Yoruba man is a Christian; a pastor no less. But it just did not wash. It will not work in 2015.

The worst thing that can happen to Northern presidential aspirations in 2015 is for Buhari to be on the APC ballot. That is a sure guarantee that the North will not be providing the next president. Buhari would be a shoo-in in an election for president of Northern Nigeria. But in an election encompassing the entire country, the best he can envisage is to be a kingmaker. He cannot be king. The nearest Buhari will get to Aso Rock in 2015 is by attending the Council of State meetings.

He who has clean hands should cast the first stone- it is so obvious, the fear of buhari or possibly a change from the norm is beclouding the op's judgment - simple don't vote for him, but when nigeria starts to move forward if he gets into power this write up would be used as a yardstick to judge you- maybe if another person like fashola or rochas or oshiomole decided to contest maybe we would look in that direction-

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by swezenberg(m): 4:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Corrupt people will never want GMB back because he will shut those doors. They come in their sizes. They are everywhere in your office at home, in zoo, in your school, they will want to stop any one that will stop their corrupt practices.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by datribune: 4:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Oshiano:
datribune post=27163162]I don't care 4 d PDP & APC but I care greatly about d patriot, GMB. if elections ar a referendum on performance while in office, GMB has proved himself & I will vote 4 him any day, any time, any platform.
Wit no visible achievement to point to, I can not in good conscience vote 4 GEJ. What Are His Achievements?

During his very brief stint as head of state Muhammadu Buhari rescued d economy frm total collapse in d worst economic recession in its history.
He rejected d IMF loan wit its slavish conditionalities & paid a huge part of d external debt, d rest of which OBJ paid off not too long ago.
He restored law & order thru d War Against Indiscipline & clamped down on corruption like no other regime.
He refused to devalue d naira & inflationary rate under him was between 3-5% & exchange rate was $1 to 1 naira.
These ar just snippets into his achievements within dat short period.
He has done it b4, he will do it again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by armadeo(m): 4:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
mokaflex:
Buhari is the only hope for 9ja. I pray he wins

The truth is that the thieves are too many to allow a man who would wipe them out come to power. He would have a hard time winning elections. He also has this pro jihadist issue against him.

Anyway siddon look mode activated..
Re: Buhari Declares For 2015 Presidential Race, Live On AIT. by Demdem(m): 4:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
wisdom77:
GMB SPEECH...

First I would like, Mr Chairman, if I may, pay tribute to Nigerians as a whole who are enduring all sorts of hardships and deprivations on a daily basis. Many millions are grappling with extreme poverty and barely eking out a living. Nearly all are in fear of their lives or safety for themselves and their families due to Insurgency by the godless movement called Boko Haram;

By marauding murderers in towns and villages;
By armed robbers on the highways;
By kidnappers who have put whole communities to fright and sometimes to flight.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is everyone’s duty to resolve and help the national effort to overcome these immense challenges. I would like us to place on record our appreciation for the efforts of our Armed Forces under new leadership and police in confronting these challenges.

I would like, secondly, to thank our supporters up and down the country for their perseverance and resolve in face of an oppressive PDP government.

Mr Chairman, this is an occasion to celebrate our efforts and to resolve to continue until victory is won. I humbly wish to present myself before you, before all of Nigeria and before God seeking to be elected as APC’s Presidential candidate. Having appreciated that the only way to relieve Nigerians of the PDP, the main opposition parties decided to pool their strengths into one party. We have worked very hard in the last 18 months to put up structures from the polling units to wards, local governments, states and the centre.

We have tried to ensure all processes in our party formation to be transparent and credible. These structures will lead to free and fair polls. There is no point in holding elections if they are not free and fair.

Interference in the form of rigging which PDP Government has practised since 2003 is the worst form of injustice – denying people their right to express their opinions. Whether they like it or not, injustice cannot endure.

Since 1999 PDP has presided over our country’s decline. Nigeria in my experience has never been so divided, so polarized by an unthinking government hell bent on ruling and stealing forever whatever befalls the country. Mr Chairman, we in APC are resolved to stop them in their tracks and rescue Nigeria from the stranglehold of PDP.

The last 16 years of PDP Government has witnessed decline in all critical sectors of life in Nigeria

There is now general insecurity in the land

Quite apart from Boko Haram, there is prevalence of Armed Robbery, kidnappings and killings, cattle rustling, market and farmland arson.

These outrages have taken a new and a frightening dimension, disrupting economic and social life across whole communities.

The economy continues to deteriorate while the Government continues to announce fantastic growth figures but manufacturing is down, agriculture is down, commerce is down

Simply because you sell oil and steal part of the money does not entitle you to cook figures and announce phantom economic growth when all the major indices namely,

Employment
Manufacturing
Farming
Trading

are demonstrably on the decline.

When PDP came to power in 1999 Nigeria was generating about 4,000 M/W of electricity. After 15 years and $20 billion spent we are generating between 3,000 – 4,000 M/W. No failure is more glaring than this.

We in APC are resolved to bring change to Nigeria. We plan to do things differently.

We plan to put priority on

Protection of lives and property.
Pursuing economic policies for shared prosperity and immediate attention on youth employment.
Quality education for development, modernity and social mobility.
Agricultural productivity for taking millions out of poverty and ensuring food security.
Reviving Industry to generate employment and “make things” not just to remain hawkers of other peoples’ goods.
Developing solid minerals exploitation which will substantially attract employment and revenue for government.
Restoring honour and integrity to public service by keeping the best and attracting the best.
Tackling corruption which has become blatant and widespread. The rest of the world looks at Nigeria as the home of corruption. Nigeria is a country where stealing is not corruption.
Last, (but not the least or final) respecting the constitutional separation of powers between the executive, legislatures and judiciary and respecting the rights of citizens.

Mr Chairman, there, in outline are some policy proposals about the direction APC should take when, by the grace of God, we are given the responsibility of serving Nigeria in Government.

General Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR

Demdem endorses General Buhari.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Governor Abdulfata Ahmed At The Gym, Working Out With His Aides / Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi / Book Launch: "Jonathan Voted For Me" - Atiku, See How Crowd Reacts (WATCH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.