Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,098 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? (862 Views)

BEST DEAL EVER!!! Professional Website/blog Design For Religious Organizations / Pastors, Private Jets And Their Taxes By Joseph Edgar / Should Religious Organizations Be Made To Pay Taxes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by tnature: 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Churches and other religious organizations have charity status, which means they are not obligated to open their books, and certainly don't have to fill in tax returns.

However, there seems to be an increase in megachurches and some of the leaders of these churches are publicly perceived to live lavishly.

A recently published list of Top 10 richest pastors in the world has 5 Nigerian pastors with Bishop David Oyedepo of Winners Chapel leading with a net worth of $150 million.

In an interview with Reuters yesterday, the respected religious leader was asked if churches in Nigeria should pay taxes. His response was:

"There is no single government input on this premises. We supply our water, we make our roads, then you ... say: 'Let's tax them'. For what?"

While the pastor may have a legitimate point about the Nigerian government (lots of Nigerians would agree that the government isn't doing enough to warrant taxing the people), the same cannot be said of all countries.

Since I (and majority of readers) live abroad, I know for a fact that taxes work. We also have megachurches that are considered charity organizations and as such, they are exempted from paying tax.

The poll question is: Should churches and other religious organizations pay tax? Or do you think there should some special criteria to determine which organization is taxed? The truth however is, for every megachuch, there are several others struggling to pay their bills. What are your thoughts?

Participate in the poll and leave a comment.
Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by Infomizer(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
Maybe their verifiable acts of charity should be exempted. However, the pastors and whatever money spinning venture that are taxable in other non-religious institutions should be duly taxed.

1 Like

Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by tnature: 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Infomizer:
Maybe their verifiable acts of charity should be exempted. However, the pastors and whatever money spinning venture that are taxable in other non-religious institutions should be duly taxed.
Good point!
Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by EvilBrain1(m): 10:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
They should be subject to the same rules as other NGOs and charities. They should be required to release their financial information to the public including details of donation and spending in order to qualify for tax exempt status. They should be required to show evidence of their charitable spending. Promoting their religion should not count as charitable spending since it benefits no one except the religious organisations. Neither should running for-profit businesses like schools, universities and printing businesses. Why should a motherless babies home have to file paperwork to prove they're actually spending their money on babies while private jet owning con men like Oyedepo and Adeboye don't even raise an eyebrow?

I have nothing against religious organisations who genuinely do charity work getting tax-exempt status. I do have a problem with all those parasitic churches who contribute nothing of value to society, yet mooch off us by using the roads, police and government services that our taxes pay for. I have a problem with those entitled "men of god" who think its their right to get rich off poor people's desperation yet pay no income tax.

Religious organisations shouldn't get any special treatment. They should be treated the same.

2 Likes

Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by Toyozzie(f): 10:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
wink NO
Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 16, 2014
I am making reference to this why it shouldn't
Segun Pryme
October 13, 2014
"how about the
charity organizations like
the orphanages? Should
those be taxed as well? If
I’m right, such
organizations are all
lumped with religious
organizations, tax-wise.
How about smaller
organizations that are
struggling to even pay their
bills? These questions
about taxing religious
institutions (especially
churches) is being raise
because of the lifestyle of
pastors of some
megachurches. So, do we
now put the tax burden on
every institution because of
a few?
How about other religions?
Would it be fair the hit
them with taxes because of
the perceived lavish
lifestyles of some Christian
pastors?
I’m not picking sides yet,
I’m only asking these
questions to get your
thoughts. Thanks for the
comment."

1 Like

Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by tnature: 5:00am On Oct 16, 2014
^^^^ True
Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by ojimbo(m): 5:40am On Oct 16, 2014
whether they pay task or not is not my major concern after all politicians dont allow us to check on their earnings. All i asked for is for them is to limit the rate of their niose pollutions they cause. Anyone that wants to take his or her 10% of his hard earned money should not to be blamed.
Re: Poll: Should Religious Organizations Pay Taxes? by tnature: 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
ojimbo:
whether they pay task or not is not my major concern after all politicians dont allow us to check on their earnings. All i asked for is for them is to limit the rate of their niose pollutions they cause. Anyone that wants to take his or her 10% of his hard earned money should not to be blamed.
Good point.

(1) (Reply)

Helping A Confused Friend / Is Wearing Trousers As A Lady A Sin? / Opinion: Christians Can Listen To SOME SELECTED Secular Music.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.