Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria (13232 Views)

How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria / How Can I Register a Trademark in Nigeria? / Trademark Registration in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by solarj05(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2014
WHAT IS TRADEMARK?
A Trademark is a Mark, Sign, or Logo by which a product is known, described, recognised and distinguished from other products. It ca be a sin, a logo or a name. In case of a name, its called a tradename.
The name by which a business is known, described or associated is a very important aspect of carrying on a business because a business’ name indicates what such a business does and what it represents. Some business people however do not pay much attention to the legal rules and regulations governing the use of their Trade Names in Nigeria. This has lead to loss of brand value and in some cases litigation by the registered owner(s) who will not want his/their Trade Name to be associated with another business entity to which he/they have no relationship or control.
TRADENAME

A Trade Name is the name by which a business distinguishes itself and its trading objects from all other businesses. The Companies and Allied Matters Act (“CAMA”) requires that every individual, firm or corporation having a place of business in Nigeria and or carrying on business in Nigeria, whether such a business is carried on in the individual’s name or in a corporate name, must be registered at the Corporate Affairs Commission (“CAC”) within a period of twenty-eight (28) days of the commencement of such a business.

THE TRADEMARK ACT

The Trade Marks Act; Chapter 436; Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 provides for Trademarks and Patents in Nigeria. A trademark is a symbol or a sign which differentiates the goods and services of one business from another one. You can register your trademark - a name, logo, slogan, domain name, shape, colour or sound with the Commercial Law department, Ministry of Trade and Investment in Nigeria. This can legally protect your trademark from use by a competitor. The trademark must be distinctive for the goods and services that you provide, not be deceptive, illegal or immoral and not be similar to existing trademarks.

INTRODUCTION

A trademark provides protection to the owner of the mark by ensuring the exclusive right to use it to identify goods or services, or to authorize another to use it in return for payment. The period of protection varies, but a trademark can be renewed indefinitely beyond the time limit on payment of additional fees. Trademark protection is enforced by the courts, which in most systems have the authority to block trademark infringement.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF TRADE MARKS

1. NAME SEARCH
You have to choose a minimum of 2 names first ad submit it to the trademark registry through your agent, the essence of the name search is to find out whether or not somebody has been using that name in the marketplace. E.g if you want to start a sachet water company and you need to develop a unique name for the water and logo to identify your product, you need to select a name for the brand and logo. E.g. BALLY WATER, SOPSY WATER ETC. The names will be searched ad if its available, you go to the next step.

2. FILING YOUR APPLICATION
The usual market practice is to instruct a local Attorney/Agent in Nigeria, who would file and process applications at the Nigerian Registry of Trade Marks, Patents, Designs and Copyright.
After filing the application for trade mark registration, the Registrar issues an official acknowledgement which shows the official number and filing date of the application, and the amount paid. Usually its essence is to inform you officially that your filing has been received.

3. REGISTRATION
Once the acknowledgement letter is issued, the registry begins the registration which includes lot of processes, after a period of time, the trademark is registered and an ACCEPTANCE LETTER is issued. This is the fficial letter tat confirms the trademark registration. Upon the issuance of the acceptance letter, you are now a proud owner of your trademark. HOWEVER THIS IS SUBJECT TO PUBLICATION IN THE TRADEMARK JOURNAL.

4. PUBLICATION
Every trade mark application must be advertised in the Nigerian Trademark Journal, and is open to opposition for a period of two (2) months from the date of advertisement.

If no objections are received within the specified period or no objections are sustained, the Registrar will issue the applicant with a certificate of registration.

When issued, the Registration Certificate will reflect the date of initial filing as date of registration (i.e. date of filing acknowledgement).

Nigerian trade mark registrations have an initial validity of seven (7) years, and are thereafter indefinitely renewable for periods of fourteen (14) years. An application for renewal should be made not less than three (3) months from the due date.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO REGISTER THE TRADEMARK?

Usually, the Trademark registration can take a lot of time, up to 3 to 4 months because, it requires a lot of processes, But We register Trademarks in Nigeria for N80,000 within 3WEEKS from the date of receipt of result of a successful Name search.

You can contact us :
CITYVINE CONSULTING LIMITED
29, GBAGADA ESTATE, LAGOS

HOW LONG IS A TRADEMARK VALID?:

The trademark is valid for 7 years from the date of application, renewable for further periods of 14 years.

WHEN CAN YOUR TRADEMARK BE REMOVED BY THE TRADEMARK OFFICE:
It is necessary to note that a trademark may be taken off the register in any of the following circumstances:
i)non use, on the request of any person concerned, if it can be established that the mark was registered without any bona fide intention to use, and there has in fact been bona fide use of the trademark;
ii) it may be removed for non use during a continuous period of at least five years during which the trademark was registered.
v)Non compliance to the registrar’s statutory notice to renew by the registered proprietor

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by obicentlis: 10:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
How much do you charge to register a trademark?
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by solarj05(m): 11:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
The amount we charge for our trademark is N80,000. meanwhile we charge N5,000 per search done.

4 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by superior1: 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017
Thanks for the info, never knew I could register a trademark in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by dhope001(m): 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017

4 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by bbbabes(f): 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017
Cool
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by FemiEddy(m): 8:29am On Jul 09, 2017
Ok and noted, thanks. Meanwhile, rain is still falling and the weather is cold so I will..........

1 Share

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by maxti: 8:29am On Jul 09, 2017
Nice info.
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 09, 2017
una paaapa!!!!!
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by omhor(f): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2017
solarj05:
The amount we charge for our trademark is N80,000. meanwhile we charge N5,000 per search done.

Please o am confuse here, the search you are talking about is what exactly?
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by RealAdewole(m): 8:42am On Jul 09, 2017
weldone
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Lalas247(f): 8:43am On Jul 09, 2017
80k to register wow ! Cheap
So does the company have to be setup in Nigeria
Or can you trademark other compainies ?? And still get a Valid certificate which is valid in Europe ?
Always wanted to know this ..
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by adigun86(m): 8:45am On Jul 09, 2017
please what is the difference of the trade Mark and opening a company . Also can what you explain mean opening a company
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by castrokins(m): 8:45am On Jul 09, 2017
This Will Help.
Thank You, Mr.
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by email1(m): 8:47am On Jul 09, 2017
solarj05:
I thought you are here to help not scam. How can search be N5, 000 and registration N80, 000 just for a product? Fear God na. In their Abuja office where the registration can only be done in Nigeria, they charge N1, 500 for search and N50, 000 for processing and registration. Still it's too much as the cost is only N15, 000 for registration. Please, do not scam people.

11 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by freeman95(m): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2017
email1:
I thought you are here to help not scam. How can search be N5, 000 and registration N80, 000 just for a product? Fear God na. In their Abuja office where the registration can only be done in Nigeria, they charge N1, 500 for search and N50, 000 for processing and registration. Still it's too much as the cost is only N15, 000 for registration. Please, do not scam people.

Hahaha

Exactly , heard abuja is the only place for registration for 50k.... Maybe their 80k is to help save you the stress
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Byggshoes(m): 9:00am On Jul 09, 2017
noted
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Jaytecq(m): 9:02am On Jul 09, 2017
seen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by geraldo077: 9:18am On Jul 09, 2017
I thought you are here to help not scam. How can search be N5, 000 and registration N80, 000 just for a product? Fear God na. In their Abuja office where the registration can only be done in Nigeria, they charge N1, 500 for search and N50, 000 for processing and registration. Still it's too much as the cost is only N15, 000 for registration. Please, do not scam people. Baba you just dealt him a soft blow, I guess you are a lawyer? please can you pm me your email as I have some questions to ask as pertaining the fees payable.
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by bastien: 9:35am On Jul 09, 2017
Since 2015? Na now e dey hint front page, because no be BBN, Evans or Tonto stuff

2 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Mayflowa(m): 9:36am On Jul 09, 2017
solarj05:

How much do you charge to register an educational NGO. I am about to?
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by KINGwax007(m): 9:37am On Jul 09, 2017
we charge N5,000 per charge means, as long as we search but the name is rejected, you pay another N5,000.

Why search, then?

Nigerians and the wrong sense of business is a fuckin shame!
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by yoruBADboi(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2017
Do ur company register business name too, i mean cooperate affairs commission? How much doea it goes for
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by dabossman(m): 10:10am On Jul 09, 2017
Good info.
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 09, 2017
awesome
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by dayorx(m): 11:31am On Jul 09, 2017
geraldo077:
I thought you are here to help not scam. How can search be N5, 000 and registration N80, 000 just for a product? Fear God na. In their Abuja office where the registration can only be done in Nigeria, they charge N1, 500 for search and N50, 000 for processing and registration. Still it's too much as the cost is only N15, 000 for registration. Please, do not scam people. Baba you just dealt him a soft blow, I guess you are a lawyer? please can you pm me your email as I have some questions to ask as pertaining the fees payable.
geraldo077:
geraldo077:

It is for reasons like this that professionals are not allowed to advertise, please refrain from cheap publicity, u may lose your license and bring the profession to disrepute.
If a person makes an enquiry contact them privately.
Please be properly guided.

2 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2017
My signature
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2017
yoruBADboi:
Do ur company register business name too, i mean cooperate affairs commission? How much doea it goes for

Hello sir,

We can help with that 120k for registration of NGOs, 30k for Business name and limited company for 80k

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 12:40pm On Jul 09, 2017
Mayflowa:

NGO registeration 120k, we can help with that. Please visit our website on my signature.

2 Likes

Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by deolumike(m): 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2017
Mayflowa:

N135,000 only. 08037653364
Re: How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria by deolumike(m): 1:31pm On Jul 09, 2017
yoruBADboi:
N70,000 only. Call us on 08037653364

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience With INSTAFOREX / Other Land Borders Will Be Reopened On Or Before December 31 - FG / PHCN Has A New Way Of Extorting Money From Prepaid Customers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.