Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,281 members, 7,829,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Will Nigerian's embrace mobile learning? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Will Nigerian's embrace mobile learning? (733 Views)

No More Worries About Epileptic Power Supply, Embrace Solar Tech! Ilorin / Fusion Mobile E-learning Platform / Brand New Kids Android Tablet For Easy Learning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will Nigerian's embrace mobile learning? by adelaface(m): 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
Hello Nairalanders!
I know a couple of teenagers roaming about the street and whenever I try to question their exodus, they all seem to have the same chorus "I am waiting for admission".
So by some miracle, some of them were sponsored and they were able to obtain forms for the 2014 UTME.
The sad gist is none of them even made up to 200 although they were making around that range.
So I concluded that this year, I wasn't going to waste more money on forms unless they all attend UTME coaching classes. Then the excuses started flowing...
"I don't have money"
"I don't have time"
"I'm an apprentice somewhere, my boss won't allow me."
The excuses continued...

But they were all good excuses and I felt really helpless. But I soon stormed on this facebook page www.facebook.com/roducate and I saw that there is a mobile app endorsed by JAMB which contains curriculum based lecture notes, mock exams, schoolarship opportunities, revision videos and more...

I was greatly impressed. But the question is: "will these teenagers use this app "

Re: Will Nigerian's embrace mobile learning? by greathosea: 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
Whaoooo!!!!! This is great. Actually, no one can tell if they will find it necesssary to use but I will oblige them to avail themselves this golden opportunity to download the App and see for themselves what the it has to offer. Since it is endorsed by Jamb registrar I think it will be very useful....
Re: Will Nigerian's embrace mobile learning? by pranayZealous: 7:45am On Dec 15, 2016
Eventually, they will have to embrace mobile learning! Initiatives like Roducate have existed since 2009 with a strong user-base in other African nations such as Malawi, Ghana, and South Africa.

World Reader Mobile
An initiative which brings access to a library of over 28,000 titles across 43 languages, even on a simple feature phone. WRM is a mobile e-reader and library application optimized for inexpensive mobile phones to reach children, families, and adults on devices they already own. WRM is designed to work with browsers using extreme compression technology such as Opera Mini to offer a fast and data-light reading experience.

Web usage instead of fragmented mobile OSs made WRM accessible to any internet-enabled device. Users could save the books offline for later reading. This eliminated the need of constantly being online. Data compression made the books very small in size, hence, easy to download even on a GPRS connection. The concept was to deliver a fast and data-light user experience.Other than Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, WRM also includes topic such as history, art, language, literature, finance and business studies.

To sum up, the proliferation of mobile phones brings unique challenges and opportunities for the learning sector. An effective user experience, keeping in mind the limited bandwidth and expensive data is the key to success.

References:
http://www.zealousys.com/blog/mobile-learning-africa-facts-trends-lessons/

(1) (Reply)

Iphone 6 Plus, 128GB, Gold, For Sale / Bricked Htc M8 For Sale / How I Generate Over $500 Daily Playing Online Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.