Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS - Properties (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS (57408 Views)

75 Plots For Sale With C Of O In Ibadan For 350k Per Plot. (full Pictures) / Before & After: Renovation/Remodelling Jobs Full Of Surprises / Need To Drill Quality Boreholes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
FabioPeter:
How do you calculate the optimal battery bank(AH) required to store say 8000wh generated by 4, 200w solar panels over 10 hours of sunlight ?
Thanks for the enlightenment so far.
1st thing you need to know is that the true available current is about 50-60% of rated current Time (Ampere Hour). If you are using a 200AH battery, you only have about 100AH to 120AH available for use and also needed in recharge. This means if you have 4 200w panels generating 8000W in 10hrs (this is not possible 5000W is more realistic because the sun is never always maximum),
1. Know the voltage of the batteries and the current
For 12V 200ah, what you have is 2400Wh (12V X 200ah)
2. 60% is what you need to charge, 60% of 2400wh= 1440wh
3. You have 10hrs of charge time so 1440wh/10
= 144 w per hour
4. Panels available supply 800w per hour so 800/144 = that gives you 5.55
You can't use 5 batteries in your configuration so 4 batteries is more practical

Answer is 4 batteries if the batteries are 12v and 200ah or 8 batteries if it is 12v 100ah or 4 batteries of 6v 410ah or 8 of 2v 1200ah

NOTE it is better to use more panels than your actual need, because getting optimum sunlight is not guaranteed for your expected 10hrs a day

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 10:12am On Dec 02, 2015
geesampower:

1st thing you need to know is that the true available current is about 50-60% of rated current Time (Ampere Hour). If you are using a 200AH battery, you only have about 100AH to 120AH available for use and also needed in recharge. This means if you have 4 200w panels generating 8000W in 10hrs (this is not possible 5000W is more realistic because the sun is never always maximum),
1. Know the voltage of the batteries and the current
For 12V 200ah, what you have is 2400Wh (12V X 200ah)
2. 60% is what you need to charge, 60% of 2400wh= 1440wh
3. You have 10hrs of charge time so 1440wh/10
= 144 w per hour
4. Panels available supply 800w per hour so 800/144 = that gives you 5.55
You can't use 5 batteries in your configuration so 4 batteries is more practical

Answer is 4 batteries if the batteries are 12v and 200ah or 8 batteries if it is 12v 100ah or 4 batteries of 6v 410ah or 8 of 2v 1200ah

NOTE it is better to use more panels than your actual need, because getting optimum sunlight is not guaranteed for your expected 10hrs a day
Geesam
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 12:32am On Dec 03, 2015
FabioPeter:
How do you calculate the optimal battery bank(AH) required to store say 8000wh generated by 4, 200w solar panels over 10 hours of sunlight ?
Thanks for the enlightenment so far.
To operate optimally, discharge your battery bank no lower than 50% DOD.
If your setup requires 8kwh, then your battery bank will be sized for 16kwh (50% is 8kwh).
For a 48v system, 16kwh/48= about 400Ah.
That's eight( 8 ) 12vdc 200Ah batteries. ( 2 banks)
Or eight 6vdc 410Ah batteries (1 bank)

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by FabioPeter: 4:20am On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

To operate optimally, discharge your battery bank no lower than 50% DOD.
If your setup requires 8kwh, then your battery bank will be sized for 16kwh (50% is 8kwh).
For a 48v system, 16kwh/48= about 400Ah.
That's eight( 8 ) 12vdc 200Ah batteries. ( 2 banks)
Or eight 6vdc 410Ah batteries (1 bank)

Thanks but my set up doesn't require 8kwh, I generate 8kwh. Not exactly the same thing. It means how many batteries will be charged 100% by my 8kwh panel. I guess the OP's response was spot on. Thanks all the same.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by butterflex: 5:53am On Dec 03, 2015
i have a 3 bedroom bungallow with 3 split aircondition and 3 televisions, only one tv to be put on at a time, phones need to be charged andone fridge and a freezer to be constantly left on. how much will it cost me to install a solar power system in my house bearing in mind that we need the fan and one a/c to sleep with at night.

i await your reply and please copy goodness.obayangbon@outlook.com and please confirm if you can come to benin to install thesame.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 8:52am On Dec 03, 2015
butterflex:
i have a 3 bedroom bungallow with 3 split aircondition and 3 televisions, only one tv to be put on at a time, phones need to be charged andone fridge and a freezer to be constantly left on. how much will it cost me to install a solar power system in my house bearing in mind that we need the fan and one a/c to sleep with at night.

i await your reply and please copy goodness.obayangbon@outlook.com and please confirm if you can come to benin to install thesame.
On site right now would get back to you asap sir.
Always on the road working in benin not a problem.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 9:20am On Dec 03, 2015
FabioPeter:

Thanks but my set up doesn't require 8kwh, I generate 8kwh. Not exactly the same thing. It means how many batteries will be charged 100% by my 8kwh panel. I guess the OP's response was spot on. Thanks all the same.
No wahala bro...
I harvest 12kwh on average daily from my 3780w array.
My average daily consumption is 15kwh (6kwh daytime & 9kwh nighttime)
Without period support from the grid, my battery bank would never be fully charged.
If i switch off during the day angry, and use at night, then i can live off-grid.
End of rant.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by FabioPeter: 6:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

No wahala bro...
I harvest 12kwh on average daily from my 3780w array.
My average daily consumption is 15kwh (6kwh daytime & 9kwh nighttime)
Without period support from the grid, my battery bank would never be fully charged.
If i switch off during the day angry, and use at night, then i can live off-grid.
End of rant.
3780W array and you generate just 12kwh? Do you live in the artic? What's the efficiency of your panels?
I am novice on this but it doesn't add up. I hope you will enlighten me.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 6:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
FabioPeter:

3780W array and you generate just 12kwh? Do you live in the artic? What's the efficiency of your panels?

Also interested in his setup. Something is wrong

Tip: to minimize energy lose, work with the highest safe voltage from pv to controller eg. It is better you have 100+ volts from pv to controller in a 48v setup that 56volts. A mppt controller will take care of the conversion. With this you have less energy loses due to resistivity in cables.
Also use flex cables. The thicker the more efficient, the shorter the pv distance the more efficient. Online cable sizing calculators available

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 6:50pm On Dec 03, 2015
FabioPeter:

LOL
Calabar. It's usually 5 to 6 hours on average Sun light daily. Most of the harvest happen between 10am and 2pm. Instantaneous power hovers around 2.7kw to 2.8kw. I'm sure you're aware that harvest depends on demand and the battery state of charge.
Grid supply is very good here.

The efficiency is around 70-75% on average.
I'll post pics when I visit next week.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:06pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

LOL
Calabar. It's usually 5 to 6 hours on average Sun light daily. Most of the harvest happen between 10am and 2pm. Instantaneous power hovers around 2.7kw to 2.8kw. I'm sure you're aware that harvest depends on demand and the battery state of charge.
Grid supply is very good here.

The efficiency is around 70-75% on average.
I'll post pics when I visit next week.
I concur.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:23pm On Dec 03, 2015
geesampower:

I concur.
I have a cocktail of different rated panels, I'm yet to confirm if these have any impact on performance.

6pcs 130w panels all connected in series... String 1.
6pcs 220w panels in 2 strings of 3 panels... String 2 & 3.
6pcs 280w panels in 2 strings of 3 panels... String 4 & 5.
Voc hovers between 100vdc and 110vdc
1pcs Outback Flex max 60cc
410Ah Battery bank (8pcs 6vdc 410Ah batteries in series)
Magnum 4300Va Inverter.
Dc disconnect box
Combiner box
Breakers etc
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:31pm On Dec 03, 2015
I've just ordered for 9pcs 280w panels. I'm moving the 130w and 220w to the village.

Once installation is completed, I'll post pics.

15pcs 280w panels @ 4.2kw against the current 18pcs 3.78kw cocktail grin
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:33pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

I have a cocktail of different rated panels, I'm yet to confirm if these have any impact on performance.

Magnum 4300Va Inverter.
Dc discnnect box
Combiner box
Breakers etc
Yes using different panels of different capacities has great impact on the output.
Eg. If you connect a panel of 17v 4amps to that outputing 15v, 4amps, you would expect to have (17X4)+(15X4)= total watts 128watts, but no what you get practically is 120watt equallizing to 15v for both panels in parallel. In series voltage adds up but current is compromised in an unambiguous array.
That is why shadow on just a single panel affects the whole array or having a panel with broken cell. The fault affects the whole array, same with connecting different panels. Reason why big installations should use AC panels, the problem is peculiar to DC panels.
I hope to learn more on micro inverters and ac solar panels. They work better in arrays than DC panels
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

Magnum 4300Va Inverter.
Dc disconnect box
Combiner box
Breakers etc
Your flex max can't output 3700watts. Max output would be in the region of 2800watts per time.
I love ur setup. You go for the best cheesy
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:39pm On Dec 03, 2015
geesampower:

Your flex max can't output 3700watts. Max output would be in the region of 2800watts per time.
I love ur setup. You go for the best cheesy
That's correct. That's why I installed more panels. When you discount inefficiencies, it should clip the current at 60A
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:40pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:
I've just ordered for 9pcs 280w panels. I'm moving the 130w and 220w to the village.

Once installation is complete, I'll post pics.

15pcs 280w panels @ 4.2kw against the current 18pcs 3.78kw cocktail grin
Lol. Cocktail indeed
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:42pm On Dec 03, 2015
The 130w string is really a waste of roof space. It doesn't add much to my array. Sometimes I simply knock off the breaker to the string. angry
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:44pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

That's correct. That's why I installed more panels. When you discount inefficiencies, it should clip the current at 60A
That clipping means high temperatures. Your controller is "working". What of adding a controller. They can work in parallel to each other if your battery bank can take the high charge.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
geesampower:

That clipping means high temperatures. Your controller is "working". What of adding a controller. They can work in parallel to each other if your battery bank can take the high charge.
Yeah, a second FM60 cc should do the trick.
I use the auxiliary output to control loads on a second db.
When the battery SOC drops to 50% it knocks off power to DB#2.
DB#2 carries all the 13A loads outside the master bedroom.
DB#3 Carries the 15A non inverted loads.
DB#1 Carries the remainder...
When I have guests gaming and using up my stored energy, once the SOC drops to 50%, it shuts off the tv, fridge etc leaving just the lights and fans on. grin grin grin
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 8:07pm On Dec 03, 2015
Barezzi:

Yeah, a second FM60 cc should do the trick.
I use the auxiliary output to control loads on a second db.
When the battery SOC drops to 50% it knocks off power to DB#2.
DB#2 carries all the 13A loads outside the master bedroom.
DB#3 Carries the 15A non inverted loads.
DB#1 Carries the remainder...
When I have guests gaming and using up my stored energy, once the SOC drops to 50%, it shuts off the tv, fridge etc leaving just the lights and fans on. grin grin grin
Tech savy cool
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by 1Segzy: 10:15pm On Dec 03, 2015
@geesampower - Wonderful thread. One of the very best. Thumbs up.
Can one build his solar power capacity over time? For example starting with 1kVA capacity in the first year, then in the second year investing some money and increasing capacity to 2KVA, then do this over again after some time till you get to the capacity you want? If this is possible, how can one go about it? What will be your advice?
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:30am On Dec 05, 2015
1Segzy:
@geesampower - Wonderful thread. One of the very best. Thumbs up.
Can one build his solar power capacity over time? For example starting with 1kVA capacity in the first year, then in the second year investing some money and increasing capacity to 2KVA, then do this over again after some time till you get to the capacity you want? If this is possible, how can one go about it? What will be your advice?
I am so sorry for the late reply. Saw it when posted intended to reply but forgot all together.
Thanks for the compliment sir.
It is easy to add to your solar array (the interlinked solar panels), but the inverter needed for current conversion would always end up being wasted. Eg 1kw inverter to 2kw inverter then to 3 kw inverter would mean the 1kw and 2 kw becomes a waste.
What you can do is start with the highest number of inverter possible, a high mppt controller. And about 100% increase may be possible in future without any equipment being wasted
If your eventual target is 3kva, then go for 3kva inverter. If you need to generate 7kw perday eventually, then use. A 60A 48v charge controller at least and you can start with an array of 800W-1000w and increase to 2000w in future.
Conclusion. Target shld be on the panels being increased not anything else

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 7:38am On Dec 05, 2015
@Geesam
i'm very interested in having a solar powered water distribution system.
i'm looking at a 4000 liter capacity tank located at ground level, with dc or ac booster pump(s).

Seeing i already have a solar array for the house, is there any merit in a dedicated setup for this project?
i dislike the unsightly look of overhead tanks, that's why this will be enclosed in my battery room (water room).

The submersible and booster pumps should be dc.
How much will this set me back? grin
Thanks.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:45am On Dec 05, 2015
Barezzi:
@Geesam
i'm looking at a 4000 liter capacity tank located at ground level, with dc or ac booster pump(s).
My oga, we have discussed this o.
Ac boosters are readily available, let me see if I can get dc boosters even if we have to import it. It would be best to make everything dc.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
Happy sunday
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
Solution
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 3:36pm On Dec 13, 2015
Barezzi:
@Geesam

Seeing i already have a solar array for the house, is there any merit in a dedicated setup for this project?
i dislike the unsightly look of overhead tanks, that's why this will be enclosed in my battery room (water room).

The submersible and booster pumps should be dc.
Thanks.
Ok found a reliable solution
Check the link out www.dankoffsolarpumps.com/flowlight-booster-pump/

But this costs a lot $1300 to be precise. Found alternatives such as shurflow booster pumps (I am familiar with their product, not hardy enough I must confess but cheap $125)
I will go for the dankoff booster pump it has a life expectancy of 15-20years and works with just 300w with an output of 3-5 Gallons per minute.

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Barezzi(m): 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2015
aii, make i check am... be right back tongue
Merry xmas folks, shayo mode activated grin cool
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
Protect your home and inverter with a servo stabilizer.
Tip: get a central stabilizer that can carter for your home use and you lower the risk of fire hazards from high voltage supply, you get low voltages stabilized. This is better than having smaller units of stabilizers liter the whole house.
Below is a 10kva stabilizer.
Would carter for
1 air conditioner
1 freezer
Up to 3-4 tvs
20-30 or more Light points
All at once

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by geesampower(m): 8:44pm On Jan 11, 2016
Solar pump available for sale

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

This House Takes 6 Hours To Build And Costs Just $33K / Hire Dump Trucks At A Cheap Rate, And U Can Also Call Us For Quality Granite / Somebody's Living Room Flooded In Lekki After The Rain (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.