Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,360 members, 7,860,973 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:04 PM

OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. (3042 Views)

Sex Is Overrated- By Emusmith / Technology Is Overrated. / Don't You Think 'speaking In Tongues' Is Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Is it too hard for the wise to know?

Hell nah! Dis quote needs lotion. Just trying to be sure.
Misogynist2014:
What does it mean?
Are you an atheist?

I don't know dogg! The labyrinths are based in Crete an island of Greece. Legend/myth has it that the minotaurs are in that maze. The maze exists till date cheesy

Hold up hold up! Is it safe to assume that the evidence of absence is not the absence of evidence.
Well I'm more of an agnostic... What gives?
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:
@Op, What If I tell you that Jesus’ temple cleansing wasn't a spontaneous outburst of anger but a premeditated, strategic act?

Yes! Yes!
Thank You for gracing this thread.

Honestly, I don't think Jesus was angry as we might envison it.

What if it was actually strategic.

Muskeeto, come.

What if he pretended to be angry because that's one language a particular set of humans tend to relate best with.

Ihedinobi2 come o

What if that whole temple ish episode was strategic.
Could it be that he felt deep love and compassion for the moneychangers too.

But just had to act that way.

Honestly one can't be too sure tho'

Honestly, I do not believe that JESUS has ever acted in anger, real anger. He might have come across as that, sometimes I can so vehemently oppose a thing without necessarily being angry, infact some times I purposely form anger when in reality, all I just want to do is elicit a certain reaction from people, due to a change that I feel/think should be implemented.

But, that's with a right motive of course.

Thank you airborne, thank You.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by ihedinobi2: 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

Yes! Yes!

Muskeeto, come.

What if he pretended to be angry because that's one language a particular set of humans tend to relate best with.

Ihedinobi2 come o

Honestly, I do not believe that JESUS has ever acted in anger, real anger. He might have come across as that, sometimes I can so vehemently oppose a thing without necessarily being angry, infact some times I purposely form anger when in reality, all I just want to do is elicit a certain reaction from people, due to a change that I feel/think should be implemented.

smiley

You still consider anger incompatible with Love. Because you think that Love is an emotion. And as an emotion it would be separate from other emotions.

What if it isn't? Think about that.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

Yes! Yes!

Muskeeto, come.

Ihedinobi2 come o

Honey seriously, I don't study the Bible that much. I embrace logic more.

I'd probably push a debate without quoting the scripture. I've seen a hell lot of Crime movies, I understand investigations better cheesy

Critics tend to accuse Jesus of being violent b'cos of what happened in the temple, but then, they keep missing the point, you don't use a single action to qualify a character.

That's inductive reasoning - proceeding from the known to the unknown. Another good example of inductive reasoning is this:

''Coli was seen eating vegetable today, so she's a vegetarian.''

The claim that Coli is a vegetarian is based on probability, the evidence that ''she was seen eating vegetable today'' is not sufficient cos she might not eat vegetable tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of such logic, it hides the fact.

I would only agree to the claim that Jesus was violent if there were other recorded incidents were he throwed an uncontrolled tantrum, but then again, such wasn't recorded.

Now, to what happened in the temple.

True, Jesus turned the tables over, but this was to put an immediate stop to the corrupt commerce that was taking place as well as perhaps to free the caged animals. There's no mention of any person or animal getting hurt in the process.

Secondly, you have to recall that Jesus came to die for sinners, now there was no way he could have actualised that if he didn't create a scene cheesy

He couldn't have walked up to the Jewish authorities and hand himself over for execution - Nah. So he had to engage in such aggressive behaviour to force the hand of religious and political authorities against him. After all, he had come to Jerusalem with the expressed intentions of being executed.

His action in the temple was to explicitly threaten the Jewish authorities. This forced them to start plotting his arrest and execution.

It was a premeditated strategic act.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 8:44pm On Oct 17, 2014
ihedinobi2:

smiley

You still consider anger incompatible with Love. Because you think that Love is an emotion. And as an emotion it would be separate from other emotions.

What if it isn't? Think about that.

No, no, I'm not talking about love, the emotion, I'm talking about love, the person.

Love is first a person, emotions is just a branch of love.

That said.

Let's define anger.

"anger - /ˈaŋɡə/
noun
1. a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility.
verb
1. fill (someone) with anger; provoke anger in.

I quite agree that it is perfectly human to be angry, but I believe that the more one yields to the spirit, the more those feelings are replaced with all round compassion.

Was jesus ever angry, Yes.
Did he react in anger at the temple? I don't believe so.
If he did, the casualty for mush.

And to think that immediately after that episode he actually healed a multitude who worshipped God?

Well, last I attended a church, I was told holy spirit anointing doesn't work in an angry person.

That's what I was told o.

Then what I've experienced is this:

No matter how lovingly, compassionfully angry over a thing or person I am.
Acting on that raw emotion of anger always produces futile results.
Nothing good comes from it.

Okay something just happened at home now........

2nd Son just walked in and we talked briefly on his beats by dre headset, I was trying to talk him into dashing me. undecided undecided pffftt, na today.

As he was leaving the room, I spoke rather loudly with this tinge of anger in my voice.

It was about his not calling a repairer to service the Gen

Immediately I finished talking, I just giggled.....hehehehe.

My plan didn't work, I wanted him to feel I was unhappy, but in my heart, I am sooo happy he is home with us now. We haven't seen him in months.

What's my point here.

My nano second episode of anger was a strategic one.
(I failed tho, the guy no send me grin)

Anyone else, could have thought I was ANGRY, but my family knew better........they understandd my person.

I'm willing to accord Jesus that Grace too grin

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Honey seriously, I don't study the Bible that much. I embrace logic more.

I'd probably push a debate without quoting the scripture. I've seen a hell lot of Crime movies, I understand investigations better cheesy

Critics tend to accuse Jesus of being violent b'cos of what happened in the temple, but then, they keep missing the point, you don't use a single action to qualify a character.

That's inductive reasoning - proceeding from the known to the unknown. Another good example of inductive reasoning is this:

''Coli was seen eating vegetable today, so she's a vegetarian.''

The claim that Coli is a vegetarian is based on probability, the evidence that ''she was seen eating vegetable today'' is not sufficient cos she might not eat vegetable tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of such logic, it hides the fact.

I would only agree to the claim that Jesus was violent if there were other recorded incidents were he throwed an uncontrolled tantrum, but then again, such wasn't recorded.

Now, to what happened in the temple.

True, Jesus turned the tables over, but this was to put an immediate stop to the corrupt commerce that was taking place as well as perhaps to free the caged animals. There's no mention of any person or animal getting hurt in the process.

Secondly, you have to recall that Jesus came to die for sinners, now there was no way he could have actualised that if he didn't create a scene cheesy

He couldn't have walked up to the Jewish authorities and hand himself over for execution - Nah. So he had to engage in such aggressive behaviour to force the hand of religious and political authorities against him. After all, he had come to Jerusalem with the expressed intentions of being executed.

His action in the temple was to explicitly threaten the Jewish authorities. This forced them to start plotting his arrest and execution.

It was a premeditated strategic act.

I love the push a debate without quoting scripture part grin

I'm subscribing to the emboldened too.

In conclusion, that a person is nice doesn't necessarily imply he is proper.

It's okay to be nice and improper, in a positive way, of course cool
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Nobody: 2:31am On Oct 18, 2014
Hmmmm. I never saw Jesus as this docile and meek dude o, and I think neither did the people of his day. Remember that the writers wrote that he spoke with such authority that they weren't used to? So "o sweet baby Jesus, gentle and meek" as we sing from our hymn books today is indeed overrated and was just a projection, I think, from the Victorian era (I'm not sure though), of Jesus to appeal more to the sentimentality of that age - a kind of rebranding and repackaging based on the 'market' need of that time if you may. And it is the vestige of that projection that still endure to this day when we view Jesus as a person who can't even hurt a fly. This dude spew blasphemy in word and in deed, knowing the penalty was potentially fetal, that's some guts don't you think? so the spine-less, halo crowned phlegmatic we see in medieval art works and hymns do not exactly portray the biblical Jesus. I don't think that Jesus would have had the effect he had on the world if he was all sweet, meek and mild. My 2 kobo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 4:46am On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist.
May your wife get sense.

You're just too sensible

kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Tallesty1(m): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2014
Well sometimes I do make troubles where I know that they'd be tolerated. Y'know humans are like honeycomb, some part is filled with cocoon, larvae and useless polen while the rest is filled with the sweet substance we call honey. You will appear sweet if you are capable of controlling the bitter side but still it does not cease its existence in you.

Besides I knew that Coli wouldn't react badly. She can't rob me of my own grace nahgrin.

Thou I wanted her to quote me but she didn't. She is wiser.

I was also careful enough to not quote some troublesome persons like the guy that quoted me.

I know you'd agree with me that he is no different from the Christians he was seriously condemning.

My comment gave no one gracegrin, because heaven had a little left when I was typing it.(apologies)

I believe you noticed that generalization was the order of the nightcheesy.

And a person in Rome should act like the Romans.

And for getting a little more brainy.

Don't try it unless you want the cops to arrest for "brain abuse" grin.

Morning Xcapist.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by mesoade(m): 9:20am On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

No, no, I'm not talking about love, the emotion, I'm talking about love, the person.

Love is first a person, emotions is just a branch of love.

That said.

Let's define anger.

"anger - /ˈaŋɡə/
noun
1. a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility.
verb
1. fill (someone) with anger; provoke anger in.

I quite agree that it is perfectly human to be angry, but I believe that the more one yields to the spirit, the more those feelings are replaced with all round compassion.

Was jesus ever angry, Yes.
Did he react in anger at the temple? I don't believe so.
If he did, the casualty for mush.

And to think that immediately after that episode he actually healed a multitude who worshipped God?

Well, last I attended a church, I was told holy spirit anointing doesn't work in an angry person.

That's what I was told o.

have u heard of "holy anger"?
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 18, 2014
Tallesty1:
Well sometimes I do make troubles where I know that they'd be tolerated. Y'know humans are like honeycomb, some part is filled with cocoon, larvae and useless polen while the rest is filled with the sweet substance we call honey. You will appear sweet if you are capable of controlling the bitter side but still it does not cease its existence in you.

Besides I knew that Coli wouldn't react badly. She can't rob me of my own grace nahgrin.

Thou I wanted her to quote me but she didn't. She is wiser.

I was also careful enough to not quote some troublesome persons like the guy that quoted me.

I know you'd agree with me that he is no different from the Christians he was seriously condemning.

My comment gave no one gracegrin, because heaven had a little left when I was typing it.(apologies)

I believe you noticed that generalization was the order of the nightcheesy.

And a person in Rome should act like the Romans.

And for getting a little more brainy.

Don't try it unless you want the cops to arrest for "brain abuse" grin.

Morning Xcapist.
morning Tallesty1. Gaskiya, sometime striking back is more fun than turning the other cheek. My experience sha, but you'll agree with me, yeah? Especially when you have a witty comeback freely dangling at the top of your head. Sometimes voicing your mind in a 'brutal' way becomes necessary though. The way you display great keenness to discern which approach is needed is exemplary. Wish you a beautiful day ahead bro.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Tallesty1(m): 9:47am On Oct 18, 2014
Thanks
Xcapist:

morning Tallesty1. Gaskiya, sometime striking back is more fun than turning the other cheek. My experience sha, but you'll agree with me, yeah? Especially when you have a witty comeback freely dangling at the top of your head. Sometimes voicing your mind in a 'brutal' way becomes necessary though. The way you display great keenness to discern which approach is needed is exemplary. Wish you a beautiful day ahead bro.
I hope you have an even nicer one.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 10:11am On Oct 18, 2014
Tallesty1:
However, I find that the more a person gives in to love and compassion, this bitter side tends to reduce greatly, and even when it arises, you become aware, knowing that, that's not really who you are at the core and you begin to scheme ways to get over it.****

Besides I knew that Coli wouldn't react badly. She can't rob me of my own grace nahgrin.****you were far too kind bro, maybe partial to me grin ****

Thou I wanted her to quote me but she didn't. She is wiser.***if I ever felt the need to quote you, I would have, and that'd be to give you 2 packs of popped corn and 1 bottle of sobo***

Ahn Ahm.....clears throat.

Good Morning grin
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Tallesty1(m): 10:34am On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

Ahn Ahm.....clears throat.

You were far too kind bro, maybe partial to me
Automatically brozoned.

Is ait.
MizMyColi:
However, I find that the more a person gives in to love and compassion, this bitter side tends to reduce greatly, and even when it arises, you become aware, knowing that, that's not really who you are at the core and you begin to scheme ways to get over it
You are right.

Morning

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend?
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2014
Tallesty1:
Automatically brozoned.

Is ait.
You are right.

Morning

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend?

LoL
cheesy

Yeah, weekend's going great.

I'm just confuzzled and somewhat detached from self.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Tallesty1(m): 1:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

LoL
cheesy

Yeah, weekend's going great.

I'm just confuzzled and somewhat detached from self.
Relax and think things through abeg.

Don't over task yourself.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 1:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
Tallesty1:
Relax and think things through abeg.

Don't over task yourself.

Thanks Dear.
Thank You.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Feraz(m): 8:15am On Oct 26, 2014
MizMyColi:
Guys the quoted is what inspired the OP

I was on a thread where, even when I'm no longer conversant with scriptures, I tried defending Jesus, from the bible *facepalm*

I'm more conversant with the one I relate with everyday, he is very nice and couldn't possibly hurt a fly.
So someone brought the brood of vipers thing to my attention and in my heart I be like
"No, that can't be my Jesus"

On my way home.....
I was reminded of how harsh/passionate I could become when a core value of mine is being violated.
Depending on the situation, I can be mild or somewhat brash.

Does that make me any less, does that change who I am at the core? Certainly not.

On this issue, I do not claim to have comprehended fully, for there is twice as much as I do not know than I do know.

Here's the text (not my original thoughts, please. What you make of it is up to you.)

In the end, like Richard murray I'd say this......
God is better experienced than taught.

I just had to quote this part and seek for permission to copy it. Mind putting up the link? I mean, what you quoted . . .
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by MizMyColi(f): 8:53am On Oct 26, 2014
Feraz:
I just had to quote this part and seek for permission to copy it. Mind putting up the link? I mean, what you quoted . . .

https://m.facebook.com/goodnessgod/posts/710083905711977

^^^That's his page.

https://m.facebook.com/richard.murray.1840/posts/566678050058916

^^^Same article, but this is personal FB page

Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 26, 2014
Jesus was a political activist.
Re: OPINION: “Nice” Is Overrated. by Feraz(m): 8:57am On Oct 26, 2014

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheists ! You Are Going To Hell ! / Why Is Immorality On The Increase In Today's World / Oyakhilome' Similar Teachings With Those Of The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.