Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,677 members, 7,862,123 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:10 AM

Naval Ratings Go Wild Again, Kill A Policeman And Injured Another - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naval Ratings Go Wild Again, Kill A Policeman And Injured Another (704 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm Again, Kill OPC Security Guard / Photo Of A Policeman Trying To Shake Buhari / Soldiers Go Wild After Fashola’s ‘Humiliation’ Of Colonel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Naval Ratings Go Wild Again, Kill A Policeman And Injured Another by desgiezd(m): 9:11am On Nov 14, 2008
Navy again!!! Ratings kill policeman in Ogun

Olayinka Olukoya, Abeokuta - 14.11.2008

THE police in Ogun State have arrested two naval ratings for allegedly killing a policeman and stabbing another on Wednesday night in a hotel in Ota area of the state.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that one policeman, identified as Oladiran Abanikanda, was allegedly stabbed by a naval rating after an argument.

The deceased cop was said to have later died at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) on Thursday morning, despite spirited efforts by the medical team of the hospital to save his life.

The Police Area Commander, Mr. Adeoye Oyelola, an Assistant Commissioner of Police, told newsmen that the naval ratings attacked Abanikanda and his colleague, Adewale Nureni, at the hotel, located at the back of the police station in Ota around 8.30 p.m.

He said that the naval rating tried to escape before he was overpowered and arrested by a police officer. He said: “The owner of a hospital (names withheld) alerted me that two of my men had been rushed to his hospital after they were stabbed. So, I had to rush there. The constable said he asked a female waiter to give him a drink but one of the ratings objected that he owned the lady and that the constable, who was not in uniform, should not send her on an errand.

“It was during the argument that followed that the naval rating brought out his knife and stabbed the policeman in the back since the policemen were not aware that the ratings were with any weapon.

“It was during the attempt by the other policeman to wrestle the rating to the ground that the other naval boy brought out his own knife and stabbed the other constable on the back and they tried to escape.”

The ACP added that while one of the ratings was arrested on the spot, the other was caught while “loitering around the police station in an attempt to call for re-inforcements.”

Oyelola told journalists that the naval authorities were at the area command of the Nigeria Police on Wednesday night for consultations over the incident.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that the office of the Inspector General of Police had been informed of the incident, while the ratings had been ordered to be detained in separate cells in one of the police stations in the state capital.

The wounded policeman was said to be responding to treatment at the Ota General Hospital. Mr. Bassey Inyang, Ogun State Deputy Commissioner of Police, confirmed the incident but said the case was still with the State Criminal Investigation Department.

He said, “I have heard the case but you know the case has to be properly investigated and I have not been briefed. So, until I’m briefed, I will not be able to say much on it now.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/14112008/news/news3.html

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200811143581387
Re: Naval Ratings Go Wild Again, Kill A Policeman And Injured Another by Carlosein(m): 9:50am On Nov 14, 2008
na so we hear am.

don't you guys know that we navy ratings are gods sad

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Go To The White House / Daniel , Obasanjo-bello Clash At Akala's Daughters Wedding . / Efcc Evidence Against Ibori Inadmissible—london Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.