Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World (2646 Views)

Ebola: Liberia's President Writes Moving Letter To The World / Ebola: Liberia Apologises To Nigeria Over Virus Spread / Ex-Senate President Writes Obasanjo, Blasts Ex-President Over Letter To Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by ProfyJay(m): 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf wrote a heartbreaking letter to the world over the Ebola epidemic in her country. A letter which was broadcasted on the radio and transmitted worldwide, where she made it known sadly how, just like the Civil war the country faced that took away many of the citizens of the country, the Ebola Virus Disease has done much more.

Below is the heartbreaking letter:

Dear World,
In just over six months, Ebola has managed to bring my country to a standstill. We have lost over 2,000 Liberians. Some are children struck down in the prime of their youth. Some were fathers, mothers, brothers or best friends. Many were brave health workers that risked their lives to save others, or simply offer victims comfort in their final moments.
There is no coincidence Ebola has taken hold in three fragile states – Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea – all battling to overcome the effects of interconnected wars. In Liberia, our civil war ended only eleven years ago. It destroyed our public infrastructure, crushed our economy and led to an exodus of educated professionals. A country that had some 3,000 qualified doctors at the start of the war was dependent by its end on barely three dozen. In the last few years, Liberia was bouncing back. We realized there was a long way to go, but the future was looking bright.
Now Ebola threatens to erase that hard work. Our economy was set to be larger and stronger this year, offering more jobs to Liberians and raising living standards. Ebola is not just a health crisis – across West Africa, a generation of young people risk being lost to an economic catastrophe as harvests are missed, markets are shut and borders are closed.
The virus has been able to spread so rapidly because of the insufficient strength of the emergency, medical and military services that remain under-resourced and without the preparedness to confront such a challenge. This would have been the case whether the confrontation was with Ebola, another infectious disease, or a natural disaster.
But one thing is clear. This is a fight in which the whole world has a stake. This disease respects no borders. The damage it is causing in West Africa, whether in public health, the economy or within communities – is already reverberating throughout the region and across the world.
The international reaction to this crisis was initially inconsistent and lacking in clear direction or urgency. Now finally, the world has woken up. The community of nations has realized they cannot simply pull up the drawbridge and wish this situation away.
This fight requires a commitment from every nation that has the capacity to help – whether that is with emergency funds, medical supplies or clinical expertise.
I have every faith in our resilience as Liberians, and our capacity as global citizens, to face down this disease, beat it and rebuild. History has shown that when a people are at their darkest hour, humanity has an enviable ability to act with bravery, compassion and selflessness for the benefit of those most in need.
From governments to international organisations, financial institutions to NGOs, politicians to ordinary people on the street in any corner of the world, we all have a stake in the battle against Ebola. It is the duty of all of us, as global citizens, to send a message that we will not leave millions of West Africans to fend for themselves against an enemy that they do not know, and against whom they have little defence.
The time for talking or theorizing is over. Only concerted action will save my country, and our neighbours, from experiencing another national tragedy. The words of Henrik Ibsen have never been truer: “A thousand words leave not the same deep impression as does a single deed.
Yours sincerely,
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Source: http://www.naij.com/308016-ebola-liberias-president-writes-heartbreaking-letter-to-the-world.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mandrill

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by stanogb(m): 11:33pm On Oct 19, 2014
God help Africa...not just Liberia to combat Ebola.

2 Likes

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by IfyAwazie(f): 11:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
Hmmm, sorry ma. The Lord is in control. Dis too shall pass.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by ProfyJay(m): 12:07am On Oct 20, 2014
So heartbreaking indeed
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by simdam500(m): 12:15am On Oct 20, 2014
cry
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by LordMecuzy(m): 12:19am On Oct 20, 2014
Really Sad
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by persius555(m): 12:24am On Oct 20, 2014
If the richest men and women give 0.5 percent of their wealth to fight this scourge, the world would sucessfully rid itself of this threat. Humanity holds the key.

3 Likes

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Sagytarius(m): 1:13am On Oct 20, 2014
"This is a fight in which the whole world has a stake."__Sirleaf

Meanwhile some mofos are busy printing on T-Shirts

2 Likes

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by casualobserver1: 1:22am On Oct 20, 2014
Sagytarius:
"This is a fight in which the whole world has a stake."__Sirleaf

Meanwhile some mofos are busy printing on T-Shirts
True talk. People don't seem to get that we are all humans and are in this world together.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 2:49am On Oct 20, 2014
My fellow Africans you are so daft!

Ebola is a hoax created in your minds by the white man to exploit you, humiliate you and discriminate against you , panic and terrorise you and depopulate you by getting you so fearful and panicked that you would rush to take their dangerous fake "Ebola" drugs that is designed to kill you.

Why do I say we are daft?

Consider this:

Name me a single instance in history when the white man has dealt with us and it has not resulted in us Africans not suffering genocide or exploitation?

Tell me a single instance in history when the white man has made an apology for his genocide against Africa.

Tell me any time the white man has promised that he would stop neo-colonialism and economic exploitation and domination of Africans.

So why is it that Africans do not consider the white man to be our enemy?

Well let me tell you if you have not worked it out.

The white man is our enemy and he is actively working towards our destruction.

repeat:

The white man is our deadly enemy and he is actively working towards our destruction.

Now we have established the white man is our deadly enemy lets consider why I say we are daft.

The same deadly enemy that has been committing genocide against us for hundreds of years suddenly tells us we have a deadly disease, and without getting our own doctors and scientist to investigate, we accept it.

This same enemy that has been working at eliminating us from the face of the earth, suddenly discovers a deadly disease amongst us that we did not discover ourselves, and we are not even sceptical?

This enemy that has been committing genocide against us for hundreds of years (and has refused to stop or apologise) is suddenly more concerned about our health than we are ourselves and we do not question their motives?

As the original humans on the earth we have lived millions of years without any recorded deadly illness wiping us out. Then suddenly in 1976 three deadly viruses turn up in Africa. HIV, Ebola and Murberg viruses all kindly discovered for us by our deadly enemy the white man yet we do not question it.

The white man who discovered the illness are also the ones profiting from the illness, the HIV drugs are very expensive and to prevent catching HIV white man sells us condoms. HIV is also a hoax, it is the treatment provided to us from the white man that kills people "diagnosed " with HIV - but that a topic for another day.

The white man our deadly enemy finds our illnesses and develops and provides us with the medicines and we do not see that something is not right there?

Today our white enemy is now planning to provide us with Ebola cure drugs and vaccines; you must not take these drugs it is aimed at de-populating us.
Those who have ears let them hear!!

DO NOT TAKE ANY EBOLA VACCINES

1 Like

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Alubosa: 3:35am On Oct 20, 2014
^^^^^ undecided

2 Likes

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by lonelydora: 3:42am On Oct 20, 2014
Chai.....so touching.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by ProfyJay(m): 3:44am On Oct 20, 2014
GenBuhari:

Ebola is a hoax created in your minds by the white man to exploit you, humiliate you and discriminate against you , panic and terrorise you and depopulate you by getting you so fearful and panicked that you would rush to take their dangerous fake "Ebola" drugs that is designed to kill you.

Consider this:

Name me a single instance in history when the white man has dealt with us and it has not resulted in us Africans not suffering genocide or exploitation?

Tell me a single instance in history when the white man has made an apology for his genocide against Africa.

Tell me any time the white man has promised that he would stop neo-colonialism and economic exploitation and domination of Africans.

repeat:

The white man is our deadly enemy and he is actively working towards our destruction.

Now we have established the white man is our deadly enemy lets consider why I say we are daft.

The same deadly enemy that has been committing genocide against us for hundreds of years suddenly tells us we have a deadly disease, and without getting our own doctors and scientist to investigate, we accept it.

This same enemy that has been working at eliminating us from the face of the earth, suddenly discovers a deadly disease amongst us that we did not discover ourselves, and we are not even sceptical?

This enemy that has been committing genocide against us for hundreds of years (and has refused to stop or apologise) is suddenly more concerned about our health than we are ourselves and we do not question their motives?

As the original humans on the earth we have lived millions of years without any recorded deadly illness wiping us out. Then suddenly in 1976 three deadly viruses turn up in Africa. HIV, Ebola and Murberg viruses all kindly discovered for us by our deadly enemy the white man yet we do not question it.

The white man who discovered the illness are also the ones profiting from the illness, the HIV drugs are very expensive and to prevent catching HIV white man sells us condoms. HIV is also a hoax, it is the treatment provided to us from the white man that kills people "diagnosed " with HIV - but that a topic for another day.

The white man our deadly enemy finds our illnesses and develops and provides us with the medicines and we do not see that something is not right there?

Today our white enemy is now planning to provide us with Ebola cure drugs and vaccines; you must not take these drugs it is aimed at de-populating us.

Give us the slightest proof sir
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 4:15am On Oct 20, 2014
Proof should be this logic : Your enemy who has been trying to destroy for 500 years, would not discover a deadly virus that could wipe you out and let you know about it.

Not only that, but why would your enemy start developing drugs to save your life?.

Would you allow your enemy in the village diagnose you for an illness and provide you with medication without you verifying the diagnosis and checking the medication is genuine?

Well this is exactly what we are allowing our trusting the white man, our enemy do to us.

The same white man that kindly supplied the native Americans with blankets that gave them small pox and wiped them out
ProfyJay:

1 Like

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by eleojo23: 4:22am On Oct 20, 2014
It's a sad situation really. This outbreak has exposed the cracks in the systems of most african countries. It is a wake up call. We have to learn to think into the future and invest in things that will equip and enable us to be able to deal with unforeseen situations such as this.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by pastoraaaaaa: 4:23am On Oct 20, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by hushmail: 4:30am On Oct 20, 2014
indeed quite touching

i will Ebola be wied out from d face of earth, cos indeed it respect no boundaries

however ignorance n illiteracy is causing more havoc in Liberia than Ebola. How can pple attack ebola treatment centre n cart away beddings of ebola victims? Such acts help d spread of ebola.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Johnbosco77(m): 4:33am On Oct 20, 2014
what a heart touching message passed on to the world. indeed Ebola is now more of a natural disaster than just a disease. how can they fight an enemy unknown to them?
dear Lord, give men the wisdom to come up with a vaccine, amen.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 4:35am On Oct 20, 2014
Your logic is backwards.

You should be asking how can the people be saying that Ebola is a hoax and the white man is telling them they have an epidemic.
Surely if people are really dropping like flies , nobody would be calling it a hoax.
hushmail:
indeed quite touching

i will Ebola be wied out from d face of earth, cos indeed it respect no boundaries

however ignorance n illiteracy is causing more havoc in Liberia than Ebola. How can pple attack ebola treatment centre n cart away beddings of ebola victims? Such acts help d spread of ebola.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by hushmail: 4:51am On Oct 20, 2014
GenBuhari:
Your logic is backwards.

You should be asking how can the people be saying that Ebola is a hoax and the white man is telling them they have an epidemic.
Surely if people are really dropping like flies , nobody would be calling it a hoax.

and U sir need to wake up and get over ur this ur attitude of 'nothing like ebola' Is d same attituude dat is killing Liberians
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 4:56am On Oct 20, 2014
There is a saying:
You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.
I have taken you to the water. Good night.
hushmail:

and U sir need to wake up and get over ur this ur attitude of 'nothing like ebola' Is d same attituude dat is killing Liberians
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by hushmail: 5:06am On Oct 20, 2014
I hope when d WHO issues d all clear to 9ja later today u will finally accept dat truly there was somthing like ebola

GenBuhari:
There is a saying:
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 20, 2014
WHO, IMF, World Bank, New Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone Nigeria, USA, UK, Germany, Spain, France and all the news media all in on the hoax. It a colossal hoax, but the rewards for the participating Imperialist countries are huge worth billions of dollars. The participating African countries have been blackmailed, threatened or / and bribed.

hushmail:
I hope when d WHO issues d all clear to 9ja later today u will finally accept dat truly there was somthing like ebola

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by dridowu: 6:10am On Oct 20, 2014
If we Nigerians can unite and fight ebola successfully, i believe Liberians and other affected countries can unite also to successfully defeat ebola
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by wanimo: 6:10am On Oct 20, 2014
ProfyJay:

it is a fact that the US created this ebola virus in their laboratories and patented the vaccine long b4 the outbreak of the desease. It is also a known fact that the Liberian govt was offered a $140m for the US to conduct an ebola virus test in Liberia in 2013.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by SporaD8: 6:39am On Oct 20, 2014
Liberia must be liberated. All the sad news I read everyday about Liberia will sure turn into a good tiding.
First- civil war, now Ebola!
Please Nigerians, even if we cant offer help, our word of encouragement and condolence to this sister country will go along way to give her a respite.
It is easier to sit behind our computers and throw invectives, but no one face with the true realization of this deadly disease- Ebola(not just a pix or two on TV screen) will not have a change of heart even to the extent of laying down their lives in other for this deadly disease to be contain. Now this is the reason why the disease has claimed the lives of more medical personnel(they have more compassion) than the common men.
I believe Liberia will rise again. No man will cry out with this much despire to a totally deaf ears.
We all need to have a change of heart and it begins with you!

1 Like

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Sagytarius(m): 6:50am On Oct 20, 2014
GenBuhari:
There is a saying:

GenBuhari, is this the level of I.Q. You wanna use to govern Nigeria?
SMH

1 Like

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by kekakuz(m): 6:58am On Oct 20, 2014
dis is jos so sad.
i almost cried

who am i kidding

i started crying since line 4
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 20, 2014
cry I pray god will deliver liberians from d dominic spirit of ebola
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by kekakuz(m): 7:10am On Oct 20, 2014
GenBuhari:

Consider this:

repeat:

you ssuck.just like your mentor

1 Like

Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by mrofficial(m): 7:23am On Oct 20, 2014
That's the handiwork work of America. Always creating diseases to keep in check Africa.
Re: EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World by lilprinze: 7:25am On Oct 20, 2014
Let action begin. Enough of talk Talk Talk abeg.
Every African country should wake up and let's help these brother countries in whatever ways we can either by sending funds, medics, equipment and every resources available
A problem for one African country should be a problem for all African countries.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijaw/itsekiri Youths Clash On EPZ / What Do You Call This In Your Native Language? (photo) / Na’aba Dumps PDP, Says PDP Has Become Characterized By Corruption, Impunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.