Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria (3279 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women And Social Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by odumchi: 6:52am On Oct 21, 2014
We've all heard about how commonplace it was for Northern soldiers (known then as 'Ndi Oma') to 'marry' and 'take' Igbo women back with them to the North during and after the military's occupation of the East in the 70s. I remember there being a thread about this topic before the data loss, but it's no longer there. I'd like to get more information on this, please.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by dboss444: 1:31am On Jun 27, 2015
Yeah I heard dat white men advised d hausa to take igbo wives so dey cn give birth to children with high IQ

2 Likes

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 28, 2015
dboss444:
Yeah I heard dat white men advised d hausa to take igbo wives so dey cn give birth to children with high IQ

How wicked the white men were, advising them to take to procreate with animals because they felt threatened by them, thank God the northerners in their infinite wisdom put the white men in their place,

2 Likes

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 28, 2015
Lieeeessssssss!!! I have lived in the north all my life, I have never met a northerner married to an igbo woman or any northerner with igbo blood in his veins, not saying there aren't, but that's just how scarce they are, and I doubt any (if there are) of them would admit it!!! Rubbish!!! Probably the dumbest thing I've read on NL, and I have read a lot of dumb things!!!! But maybe in the north central (middle belt)

1 Like

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by dom(m): 10:31am On Jul 03, 2015
yeah. IBB, Yohanna Madaki, OBJ etc. Even Gowon was engaged to Edith Okongwu but the marriage was called off owing to civil war sentiments.(Heard she took in for him too).
plenty northern soldiers took wives from the former biafran enclave. If you see any igbo lady (late 20s, early 30s) that says her father is from the North, chances are that her father was a soldier and got married shortly the war.I grew up in the barracks and saw quite a few of them. (dunno where daisy danjuma is from, though).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by dom(m): 10:38am On Jul 03, 2015
yeah. IBB, Yohanna Madaki, OBJ etc. Even Gowon was engaged to Edith Okongwu but the marriage was called off owing to civil war sentiments.(Heard she took in for him too).
plenty northern soldiers took wives from the former biafran enclave. If you see any igbo lady (late 20s, early 30s) that says her father is from the North, chances are that her father was a soldier and got married shortly the war.I grew up in the barracks and saw quite a few of them. (dunno where daisy danjuma is from, though)

1 Like

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Gurgle(f): 11:11am On Aug 06, 2015
odumchi:
We've all heard about how commonplace it was for Northern soldiers (known then as 'Ndi Oma') to 'marry' and 'take' Igbo women back with them to the North during and after the military's occupation of the East in the 70s. I remember there being a thread about this topic before the data loss, but it's no longer there. I'd like to get more information on this, please.

Yeah there is a song about it, by Abigbo Mbaise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXqGskcsqE

1 Like

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by amakoro(m): 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2015
Lieeeessssssss!!! I have lived in the north all my life, I have never met a northerner married to an igbo woman or any northerner with igbo blood in his veins, not saying there aren't, but that's just how scarce they are, and I doubt any (if there are) of them would admit it!!! Rubbish!!! Probably the dumbest thing I've read on NL, and I have read a lot of dumb things!!!! But maybe in the north central (middle belt)

Please get ur facts right before talking....

I hav... A frnd of mine in kano state is a product of that such union

1 Like

Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Mapletraks: 11:55pm On Aug 06, 2015
dom:
plenty northern soldiers took wives from the former biafran enclave. If you see any igbo lady (late 20s, early 30s) that says her father is from the North, chances are that her father was a soldier and got married shortly the war.I grew up in the barracks and saw quite a few of them. (dunno where daisy danjuma is from, though)

^^^^
Daisy Danjuma is from Itsekiriland.

I attended a Northern FGC decades back
and had a wonderful classmate whose
father is from Kano and mother from
Onitsha. My friend and classmate by the
name of Mohammed used to travel to
the U.S. for holidays so he came from a
family of proffessionals. grin

The father was not a military man.

A former Presidential aspirant by the name
of Alh. Galtima, a very articulate man and
ex-student of FGC Enugu or Owerri (I can't
recall offhand which of them) from Maidiguri
is married to an Ibo woman.
Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by odumchi: 10:12am On Aug 07, 2015
Gurgle:

Yeah there is a song about it, by Abigbo Mbaise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXqGskcsqE

Yup. My question actually sprung after listening to this song.
Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Gurgle(f): 5:43pm On Aug 07, 2015
odumchi:

Yup. My question actually sprung after listening to this song.

Ok. it happened to somebody I know actually, she seemed ok with it
Re: Northern Soldiers And Their Relations with Igbo Women In Post-Biafran Nigeria by Yujin(m): 6:47pm On Aug 07, 2015
There's this family I know so well in the middle belt who have this set up. The father was a soldier who participated in the civil war from plateau state and their mother is from either Imo or Abia state. Their mother named them Igbo names: Kelechi, Uche, Ogochukwu etc Some of them esp the males were interested in their mother's side unlike the females. Unfortunately their mother passed on when the girls where just getting matured.

(1) (Reply)

A Ghanaian King Adopted An African American Gospel Artist Micah Stampley / Why Do People Say The Whole Human Race Are All Thesame? / What Is This Word Called In Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.