Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. (880 Views)

Breaking News: Oscar Pistrious Sentencedto 5 Years Imprisonment / Oscar Pistorious Is Guilty Of Inculpable Homicide / Emmanuel Emenike May Be Jailed For 3 Years For Faking Injury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by fractals: 9:51am On Oct 21, 2014
Just saw the news on bbc....

Oscar pistorious was just sentenced to 5years in prison...For killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on
Valentine's Day
in 2013, double-amputee athlete Oscar Pistorius has
been
sentenced to 5 years in prison by judge, Thokozile
Masipa.
The following was what she considered before
imposing her
sentence.
1. Culpable homicide - 5 years in prison
2. For the Tasha shooting - 3 years in prison, wholly
suspended for 5 years with conditions
The two sentences will run concurrently.
He will serve a minimum of 8 months, after that,
he'll
probably be sent home to serve the remainder of his
sentence under strict supervision controls. This will
be up to
SA Correction Services.....http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29700457

as for me I think five years is too small..grin

1 Like

Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by 9inches(m): 9:56am On Oct 21, 2014
PRETORIA, South Africa - Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison on Tuesday for the Valentine’s Day killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said the sentence, which followed the athlete's conviction for culpable homicide, was "fair and just both to society and to the accused." A noncustodial sentence "would send the wrong message to the community,” but a long sentence "would also not be appropriate," she added.

The so-called "Blade Runner" wiped a tear from his eye after Masipa's ruling, then was led down to a holding cell for the first time after having spent the duration of his trial on bail. Pistorius also was handed a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms offence.

The maximum prison sentence for culpable homicide in South Africa is 15 years. However, Masipa could have given him a suspended sentence to be served at home under state supervision, a sort of house arrest.

State lawyer Gerrie Nel had called for Pistorius to spend at least a decade behind bars. Defense lawyer Barry Roux argued that a community-based sentence was more appropriate because of the remorse Pistorius had shown.

In her ruling, Masipa recounted the impact of the shooting on Reeva's family and on the athlete, who has since sold all his property and has no money left.

She also rejected evidence from defense witnesses about Pistorius' weakness. “There was a feeling of unease on my part as I listened to one witness after another placing what I thought was an overemphasis on the accused’s vulnerability," Masipa said.

"Yes, the accused is vulnerable. But he also has excellent coping skills. Thanks to his mother, he rarely saw himself as disabled and excelled as a top athlete.” Still, she noted that Pistorius had inspired people with disabilities worldwide. "This cannot be ignored," she said.

Masipa also dismissed defense suggestions that South Africa’s prisons would be unable to cope with Pistorius because of his disability. “I have no doubt that, if prisons were below the required standards, the human rights bodies in this and this court would not hesitate to take the necessary steps to remedy the situation,” the judge said. “It would not be the first time that the correctional service was confronted with an inmate with disability.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pistorius-trial/oscar-pistorius-sentenced-five-years-prison-n230296
Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 21, 2014
Na wa ooo.....5 years??I was expecting 50 years...grin
Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by fractals: 10:12am On Oct 21, 2014
wakacome:
Na wa ooo.....5 years??I was expecting 50 years...grin
I agree.
Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2014
9inches:
PRETORIA, South Africa - Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison on Tuesday for the Valentine’s Day killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said the sentence, which followed the athlete's conviction for culpable homicide, was "fair and just both to society and to the accused." A noncustodial sentence "would send the wrong message to the community,” but a long sentence "would also not be appropriate," she added.

The so-called "Blade Runner" wiped a tear from his eye after Masipa's ruling, then was led down to a holding cell for the first time after having spent the duration of his trial on bail. Pistorius also was handed a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms offence.

The maximum prison sentence for culpable homicide in South Africa is 15 years. However, Masipa could have given him a suspended sentence to be served at home under state supervision, a sort of house arrest.

State lawyer Gerrie Nel had called for Pistorius to spend at least a decade behind bars. Defense lawyer Barry Roux argued that a community-based sentence was more appropriate because of the remorse Pistorius had shown.

In her ruling, Masipa recounted the impact of the shooting on Reeva's family and on the athlete, who has since sold all his property and has no money left.

She also rejected evidence from defense witnesses about Pistorius' weakness. “There was a feeling of unease on my part as I listened to one witness after another placing what I thought was an overemphasis on the accused’s vulnerability," Masipa said.

"Yes, the accused is vulnerable. But he also has excellent coping skills. Thanks to his mother, he rarely saw himself as disabled and excelled as a top athlete.” Still, she noted that Pistorius had inspired people with disabilities worldwide. "This cannot be ignored," she said.

Masipa also dismissed defense suggestions that South Africa’s prisons would be unable to cope with Pistorius because of his disability. “I have no doubt that, if prisons were below the required standards, the human rights bodies in this and this court would not hesitate to take the necessary steps to remedy the situation,” the judge said. “It would not be the first time that the correctional service was confronted with an inmate with disability.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pistorius-trial/oscar-pistorius-sentenced-five-years-prison-n230296
a crime is a crime whether from a disabled person or not...
Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 21, 2014
wakacome:
Re: BREAKING News!!!!oscar Pistorious jailed for 5 years. by 9inches(m): 10:26am On Oct 21, 2014
wakacome:

I agree

(1) (Reply)

FIFA Set To Ban Nigeria On Monday / Channel Television Ridicles "Frying Eagles" On Tweeter (photo) / Ronaldinho Came Late To The Party!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.