Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. (869 Views)

Breaking News: Oscar Pistorious Escapes From Jail(pictures Inside) / Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE / Ibinabo Fiberesima Sentenced To 5 Years Imprisonment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 21, 2014
South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been given five years in jail for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Judge Thokozile Masipa also gave Pistorius a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms charge.
The parents of Reeva Steenkamp told the BBC they were happy with the sentence and relieved the case was over. The defence said it expected Pistorius to serve about 10 months in prison.
Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide but cleared of murder.
Prosecutors had called for a minimum 10-year term, and the defence had argued for community service and house arrest.
'Feeling of unease'
Defence lawyer Barry Roux said his client was expected to serve 10 months in prison, with the rest under house arrest.
Also reacting to the sentence, Dup De Bruyn, a lawyer for the Steenkamp family, told Reuters that "justice was served".
The BBC's Nomsa Maseko, outside court, says opinion there was divided on the sentence, with some saying it was too light, others that it was fair.
She says Pistorius will be evaluated over the next few hours in prison to decide where he will be staying based on his disability.
Judge Masipa had begun reading the sentence by saying that, although she had been aided by assessors, the decision was hers and hers alone.
She said: "Sentencing is about achieving the right balance. Sentencing is not a perfect exercise."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29700457
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by jeffizy(m): 10:03am On Oct 21, 2014
Deserving.
Whatever reasonable or unreasonable excuse he might have.
What I will like to find out is what kind of prison, considering his handicap.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by freecocoa(f): 10:05am On Oct 21, 2014
I knew it.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by dapsoneh: 10:06am On Oct 21, 2014
Eeya
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by YungwizzzyChina: 10:06am On Oct 21, 2014
RIP
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Shadbay(m): 10:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Even with his appeal.. I guess they've made their decision.. He pleaded for house arrest nd community service
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by felixbar(m): 10:08am On Oct 21, 2014
the sentence suppose to be life imprisoment
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by internetpo(m): 10:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Yeah! Just watching it on TVC news.

Wonder why I feel indifferent about it...

..but Shouldn't the case be considered murder, Me think Oscar is guilty.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by ammyluv2002(f): 10:09am On Oct 21, 2014
YungwizzzyChina:
RIP
Haba! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@topic.....I'm confused sha, dont know what to feel cheesy
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by JEITO: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2014
Hmmm...
5years for murder, illegal possession of fire-arm, unlawful use of fire-arm in public
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by kingDavidda1st(m): 10:11am On Oct 21, 2014
If only the trial had been in Nigeria. Different country with different laws.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 21, 2014
Well, he has to serve his time. Thats the law for you.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by vislabraye(m): 10:13am On Oct 21, 2014
This is interesting. What a wonderful justice system. Pistoris will get more endorsements after this.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 21, 2014
goodnews...goodnews...goodnews

In my pastors' voice
As much as I feel sorry for the loss of the girl and the pain her family is going through -I am kinda indifferent about this whole saga.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by adamskutty(m): 10:24am On Oct 21, 2014
Ok
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by orobs93(m): 10:30am On Oct 21, 2014
I smell OJORO...
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by akinsadeez(m): 10:30am On Oct 21, 2014
All things considered, pistorius has to be happy at the turn of events. Taking the bleak look of his case at the start I think he is very very lucky that he got just five years of which he won't spend the whole five years in prison. under normal prison calendar he should be out in the next 3-4 years especially if he is well behaved.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Toyozzie(f): 10:35am On Oct 21, 2014
angry sad
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by slimzypink(f): 10:37am On Oct 21, 2014
am sure he cant spend dat 5 years in prison ...maximum 3 yrs
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by englishmart(m): 10:41am On Oct 21, 2014
But he wasn't found guilty of murder.
He was only found guilty of homicide.

Mtscheew. Stup1d juries

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Lilimax(f): 10:51am On Oct 21, 2014
Even after all his weepings and explanations to the juries, he was still sentenced undecided
I hope this will bring succour to the family of his late girl friend
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 21, 2014
5 years is okay, He got off easy.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison. by chimerase2: 11:15am On Oct 21, 2014
hi

(1) (Reply)

It Took Me Four To Five Hours To Write "Durosoke"-Olamide / Actress, Keira Knightley Goes Topless To Protest Photoshopping / Renowned Preacher Dr.myles Munroe, Wife & Daughter Die In Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.