Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Reasons Why You Forget What You Read - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why You Forget What You Read (14476 Views)

How Do You Read To Understand? / Important Ways To Simplify How You Read / What To Do If You Easily Forget What You've Read... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 1:45am On Oct 22, 2014
You need to always remind yourself that you have a brain so capable that you've barely used 10% of its capacity. You don't forget what you read because your brain is incapable of the information you give to it. It often amazes us how we forget things we thought we had committed so much time to memorizing when we have barely left the library or reading hall probably a few minutes ago and we ask ourselves why we forget these things we intended to remember after committing so much time to study. There are six reasons I want to share with you that cause us to forget what we read.
1. Inadequate attention to what you wish to remember
The first cause of forgetfulness is lack of proper attention to what we wish to remember. The result is that the experience does not make a strong enough impression on us.
We forget because we do not pay sufficient attention to what we want to remember in order to imprint it firmly on our mind. A good memory therefore depends upon attention to what is to be remembered. Since one cannot attend to more than one thing at a time, give your full attention to what you wish to remember.
Continue Reading at: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/10/6-reasons-why-you-forget-what-you-read.html

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by freezyprinzy(m): 1:50am On Oct 22, 2014
U guys never cease 2 amaze me...watin e go cost u 2 put d gist here:-(

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by eckersley: 8:44am On Oct 22, 2014
freezyprinzy:
U guys never cease 2 amaze me...watin e go cost u 2 put d gist here

SIX REASONS YOU FORGET WHAT YOU READ

The first cause of forgetfulness is lack of proper attention to what we wish to remember.
The result is that the experience does not make a strong enough impression on us.
We forget because we do not pay sufficient attention to what we want to
remember in order to imprint it firmly on our mind.

A good memory therefore depends upon attention to
what is to be remembered. Since one cannot attend to more than one thing at a time,
give your full attention to what you wish to remember.

2. Lack of revision or rehearsal
It is normal to forget most of what is learned within a few days after
learning it unless it is constantly revised to keep it fresh in mind.
Much of what we learn is forgotten almost as soon as we learn it.

The little that remains after that is forgotten more gradually.
Research has proven that after one hour, 56 percent of the material which we have read
such as the one you are reading right now will be forgotten, but after nine hours,
only a further 8% will have been forgotten; after two days,
only a further 6 percent and only a further 7 percent after as long as one month.
In other words, about 70 percent of the amount which was forgotten in the first month
was forgotten in the first hour of the month.

3. Interference of other activities during or just after study time
Research has shown that other activities we pursue after learning
something interfere with our ability to retain and remember it later. I
n other words, we forget something we've learnt because we learnt other things subsequently.
How much you will forget actually depends on
how similar the interfering activity is with what is being learnt.

Interference is most helpful when the interfering materials or
activities are very similar to the material being read.
Another way interference occurs is when what has happened previously interferes
with what is happening now. Work which precedes learning also tends to interfere with
the retention of the learned material. What happened before our study time could cause
us to forget what we've read as well as what happened afterwards.

4. Repression of what is being learnt for some reasons
Repression is the act of controlling strong emotions and desires and not allowing them to be
expressed so that they no longer seem to exist. It occurs in the context of
forgetting what we've read when we prevent ourselves from becoming aware of
some tendency active in our mind which opposes the desire to recall
by a strong resistance or wish not to recall.

Oftentimes, we more easily forget a memory which conflicts with our comfort or
self esteem than one which does not.
This is why what is repressed may not be
unpleasant in itself but may have been associated with something else which is unpleasant.
For example, it easier to forget what your lecturer said in that "seemly unending"
class than it is to forget your first trip to Dubai.

5. Wrong Nutrition or Diet
It has been discovered that the kind of food we eat plays an important role in our memory.
Research has proven that people suffer physically and mentally because of two things:
the food they eat and the food they refuse to eat.

Eating foods such as highly seasoned dishes, much meat, salt and stale food affect our brains.
Certain items like cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine also negatively affect our brain.
These foods and items are part of a bad nutritional diet because
they hamper the blood and energy circulation in the body and mind.

6. Lack of good rest and adequate sleep
For most students, one of the most neglected areas of their lives is sleep.
Are you so busy studying or working that you are not getting
all the sleep that your body needs? Most adults need about
7 to 8 consecutive hours of sleep each night;
children and adolescents need quite a bit more.
If you aren't getting enough quality sleep, your memory is one of the first parts to suffer.

You need sleep to create important memory links and connections.
When you first learn something, that information is fragile; the imprint on your brain is very delicate.
When you sleep, your brain reviews that information and forges stronger
pathways so it becomes a more solid part of your knowledge base.
In other words, if you don't get enough sleep, you will have memory trouble.
If you have been sleep deprived, then getting enough sleep is one of the
easiest and fastest ways to improve your memory.

Culled from:
http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/10/6-reasons-why-you-forget-what-you-read.html

CASED CLOSED

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Exjoker(m): 9:42am On Oct 22, 2014
so that is it?
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Elinob(m): 10:07am On Oct 22, 2014
It can't happen wen u load ur dream too must nd always think mst
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Lilimax(f): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2014
Nice information.
Thanks for sharing @ OP.

Aside these points, one still need the Holy Spirit of God.
He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance...(John 14:26) wink

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by optimistcandyboy(m): 12:37pm On Oct 22, 2014
mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
4Q Op, thumbs up @eckersley.
mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew sad
sad sad
sad
not for sale to person under the age of 100
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Lawkee(m): 1:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
Diz guy be like....

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 22, 2014
danypack7:
You need to always remind yourself that you have a brain so capable that you've barely used 10% of its capacity. You don't forget what you read because your brain is incapable of the information you give to it. It often amazes us how we forget things we thought we had committed so much time to memorizing when we have barely left the library or reading hall probably a few minutes ago and we ask ourselves why we forget these things we intended to remember after committing so much time to study. There are six reasons I want to share with you that cause us to forget what we read.
The first cause of forgetfulness is lack of proper attention to what we wish to remember. The result is that the experience does not make a strong enough impression on us.
We forget because we do not pay sufficient attention to what we want to remember in order to imprint it firmly on our mind. A good memory therefore depends upon attention to what is to be remembered. Since one cannot attend to more than one thing at a time, give your full attention to what you wish to remember.
Continue Reading at: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/10/6-reasons-why-you-forget-what-you-read.html

This is an myth which was debunked years ago, can't believe people still believe it.
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by SpaceGoat: 4:18pm On Oct 22, 2014
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by AdeniyiA(m): 10:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
u mean why we forget wat we crammed?
blame our battered nd bastardized educational system which dwells more on theory than hands on practicals undecided

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Adesam09(m): 11:13pm On Oct 22, 2014
ok
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2014
freezyprinzy, you no serious!
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
7 Powerful ways to commit information to memory

You don't forget what you read because your brain is incapable of the information you give to it. It often amazes us how we forget things we thought we had committed so much time to memorizing when we have barely left the library or reading hall probably a few minutes ago and we ask ourselves why we forget these things we intended to remember after committing so much time to study. There is no one that was made with a bad memory, there can only be an untrained memory. You need to train and exercise your memory so that you can maximize it's potential. In this post, you will discover seven powerful "association strategies" that will help commit more easily new facts to memory:
1. Associate more senses with the information:

It's a proven biological fact that the memory is essentially a visual mechanism. The more senses are associated with the new data received, the more your memory improves. You do not have to be a genius or visionary to be able to visualize something you will see in the future. If on your return from a vacation trip, you were asked to give a colorful description of what you encountered, I'm sure it would be pretty easy for you. Visualize, share with others and possibly act out what you want to remember.
2. Associate strong and positive emotions with the information:

Strong memories are also created from strong emotional association. These emotional connections could be the day you left off for the university, the moment you made so many promises to your family that you wouldn't let them down in school, the day you saw in person someone you hold in high regard for his or her achievements and so on.
3. Apply intensity to these associations:

The factor that makes the sensory and emotional associations to create more lasting impressions is their intensity. When they are more intense, they will produce strong bonds that are retained in the brain quickly and cause you to recall the information easily. These are known as memory evacuators.
4. Associate the new information with meaning:

Another effective way to commit a new fact to memory is to associate it with meaning. When something has meaning for you, it's very likely that you'll remember it easily. Association with visual mental pictures and emotion are great ways but when they are not making meaning to you, it becomes a problem. A way you can create meaning is in the use of language patterns.

For instance, if you can create an acronym out of a total list of words you need to remember, they will take on a new meaning. Let's say you need to remember the names of mineral constituents and nutrients in a meal, say calcium, iron, protein, vitamins, carbohydrate, and magnesium, you may give it an acronym like P.I.M.V.I.C, pronounced peem-veek, each letter standing for the first letter of each mineral. If you prefer to make this into a sentence that has more meaning, then you can say something like: Please, Inside My Van Is Cool. It will thus, be easier to remember it has formed a sentence that makes meaning to you.
5. Associate the information with a weirdness effect:

The weirdness effect is an important factor in association. People tend to remember things that are outrageous, out of place or unusually weird. Assuming we had a list of words to be committed to memory and words like Rambo, Zigzag or Kalakuta were included to the list, you would be able to recall them even if they did not fit into the category. The reason is that the words are unique or stand out and that makes them memorable. A good way to improve your memory's retention of a new fact is to add a weirdness effect to them.
6. Associate the information with specificity:

When words, names, dates are specific, unequivocal or definite, it is easy to recall them than it is for those that lack easy definition or finality. As an instance, remembering names of prominent people like Nelson Mandela will be easier than a thousand words of history.
7. Repeat the information as often as possible:

Definitely, you remember things or words better when you repeat them often. They are easily embedded in your long-term memory. Every association effect discussed above won't be very effective if you don't discipline yourself to add the repetition effect to the information you wish to commit to memory.

Culled from: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/11/7-powerful-ways-to-commit-information.html
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 03, 2014
freezyprinzy:
U guys never cease 2 amaze me...watin e go cost u 2 put d gist here:-(

Hw many minutes or mb go take u to open the link?

Don't be lazy bro,if you need the info,you go for it...

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by freezyprinzy(m): 9:44pm On Nov 03, 2014
udemzy101:

Hw many minutes or mb go take u to open the link?

Don't be lazy bro,if you need the info,you go for it...
i came here 2 get info if i needed d info 4rm dat site i would visit it and not nairaland y is nairaland link not on d site?...RUBBISH..can c u also own a blog supporting your own eh..swerv abeg
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 04, 2014
freezyprinzy:
i came here 2 get info if i needed d info 4rm dat site i would visit it and not nairaland y is nairaland link not on d site?...RUBBISH..can c u also own a blog supporting your own eh..swerv abeg

Where this lazy bone come from sef.. like say e even know the site b4?

Why will nairaland link be on the site since he didn't copy any quote or words from nairaland?

Funny....this one na learner..
Abeg no vex for disturbing you,are ur type dey wait mk dem spoon feed am.
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by freezyprinzy(m): 7:28am On Nov 04, 2014
udemzy101:

Where this lazy bone come from sef.. like say e even know the site b4?

Why will nairaland link be on the site since he didn't copy any quote or words from nairaland?

Funny....this one na learner..
Abeg no vex for disturbing you,are ur type dey wait mk dem spoon feed am.
i b lazy bone datz y i no alwaz dy online...busy channel'n my energy 2 making my dough...and if nairaland link ain't permitted in his blog don't post ur link here on nairaland 2..what is good 4 d goose z also good uganda
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 04, 2014
freezyprinzy:
i b lazy bone datz y i no alwaz dy online...busy channel'n my energy 2 making my dough...and if nairaland link ain't permitted in his blog don't post ur link here on nairaland 2..what is good 4 d goose z also good uganda

There is no sense in what you post bro....

Uganda ko zambia ni

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Capableben(m): 8:37am On Nov 04, 2014
Forget about reading. come out enmasse and vote this beautiful lady as NL beauty Queen...

shes Nabsprada....
Beauty/Brainz
Re: Reasons Why You Forget What You Read by Felitsa187(f): 12:13pm On Aug 07, 2015
AdeniyiA:
u mean why we forget wat we crammed?
blame our battered nd bastardized educational system which dwells more on theory than hands on practicals undecided
Thank u broda. Correct bro

(1) (Reply)

Public Schools Back In Those Days (Your Experiences) / The Rot In Unity Schools / Six Reasons Why You Should Attend Private Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.