Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

... - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ... (6179 Views)

Please He Needs Your Advise Urgently. Don't Ignore / Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. / Schools Report Finds ‘jaw-dropping’ Gap For Black Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ... by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 26, 2014
Lacomus:
the choice is his .
The same way u'll fold ur hands and watch a friend or relation take a wrong decision all in the name of the choice is his

1 Like

Re: ... by mayorall(m): 7:18am On Oct 26, 2014
So my friend has a beautiful sister like this. No wahala. Academically, my friend is great, I respect his brain. Also on different scholarships, that tells you he is a brilliant student. Backing outta school is uncalled for at this moment, School is also restraining my full business potentials but man gat only a year left, it's a battle one must finish. Will try to talk to him. But am not sure he is serious about it cos he would have told me if he's seeious.

2 Likes

Re: ... by mayorall(m): 7:31am On Oct 26, 2014
Seun:

If this is true and he has no carry-overs or other problems then I don't see why he should drop out. The degree is very useful and he'll regret not having it, though it won't stop him from being successful in business. I didn't drop out of uni to pursue Nairaland, I dropped out because I had issues that made it hard for me to cope, and those issues were not solved because we didn't understand them. By the time I started pursuing business, I would have had to start again from square one, so I decided to use those 5 - 6 years for business instead.

Bill Gates took a break from university because he discovered a once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity that he could not afford to miss. If Microsoft hadn't become such a phenomenal success, he would have returned to school. So maybe your friend should just take a 1 year break to face his business. I believe there's a provision for that if he notifies the school authorities in advanced instead of just leaving. If after 1 year of business, he still doesn't feel the need to go back to spend just one more year to get his degree, then you can reluctantly support him.

Oga mi. To be sincere, if my friend should have a year break in school, Am sure he won't go again. Seriously he has a glorious future to be successful but the reason most Visionaries goes to school now is not even parts of their success visions. Please help advice my friend to finish his one year in school. infact advice him not to go for service. He is a great friend. Brilliancy is an understatement, he will pass exam without attending classes.

1 Like

Re: ... by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 26, 2014
AgapeCharis:
The same way u'll fold ur hands and watch a friend or relation take a wrong decision all in the name of the choice is his
Wrong decision ? Wht if it pays more than his bsc will it still be a wrong decision let me remind you that education can be continued at any time but when taking a step like this it has to be precise , don't you think he believes this is the right time ?
Re: ... by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 26, 2014
abeg connect me with your brother so we can make money together
Re: ... by chronique(m): 8:28am On Oct 26, 2014
Tell him not to try it. He can still do his biz side-by-side his academics. Since He's almost through,there's no reason to quit at the final lap. I understand the feeling He's having(getting to see some cool cash He's making on his own and can spend the way He likes) bu that feeling won't cover for His lack of a degree. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from being a graduate and there are places it would help him get an edge above some of his competitors. What course is He studying? Does it have any bearing with the biz He is doing? If not,it might be a source of His frustration. I studied accounting intially and later registered for the ACCA,UK programme to qualify as a chartered accountant. Whilst doing this,I've also been running my private businesses. Just recently,I realised I should have studied biz mgt/administration in school instead of the accounting I put in for(which was forced on me by my dad in 2001). As I speak,I intend going back to school this year ending to go get a degree in business mgt and I'd still be running my businesses while studying(from the classroom). I'm already above 30 yrs of age but that's not enough to stop me. The money I'm making and the prestige I get from driving several luxury cars as an auto dealer,is not enough to becloud my reasoning. I wanted to be a lawyer but I was forced into doing something else. The positives from being an accountant,is that it has made me very good with my figures and I get to account for almost every penny I spend(I don't spend frivolously). However,it hasn't given me satisfaction but it helped me discover part of what I should be/i am;a businessman/enterpreneur.

The bottomline is this;nothing is a waste. He might not like his course,but there are things He'd gain from it. Let him finish it and when He's done,He can settle down and do the business He wants. He shouldn't quit.
Hadizy:
I never believed I would see this day where I will create a topic on Nairaland. Never saw reasons to until today.

Please @ All I need your help and advice. I have a nice brother. Nerdy / researchful that is so much interested in academic things or anything bookish. Since his 300Level during the ASUU strike he dived into business ( importing and some other stuffs ). He has been doing fine and cool. Making money and has ben pretty wise.

That been said I noticed a lot of changes, he stopped taking his academics serious. He stopped pursuing his dream of graduating with a First Class and have been so much glued to the business life. Recently he his on I.T and traveled to Lagos after that journey I noticed many things.

1. Always alone with pen and paper or jotter thinking.
2. His browser history always about business ideas and blueprint.

2days ago he said he wanted to be alone, yesterday he started some funny behaviour , today he broke the egg. That he wants to drop out of school and pursue his business dream.

I have been unable to talk him outta this. Please he his an active nairalander . I will just appreciate your contribution in talking him outta this this.

I will send him this link.

Note:
He his academically sound and is doing well and OK that you do think he his graduate working. So do not think he his leaving school out of frustration o poor result. His result is great. Thanks

Please help me talk to him, he's almost through and should be graduating next year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ... by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 26, 2014
Lacomus:
Wrong decision ? Wht if it pays more than his bsc will it still be a wrong decision let me remind you that education can be continued at any time but when taking a step like this it has to be precise , don't you think he believes this is the right time ?
@ bolded... Its nt like he is 100 level. He is just a few months away to b a graduate.

And even if he is in 100 level or stl a jambite sef.....he shud stay cool.
Mind u...business can be done anytime... There is no right time for it.
Jx like mizmycoli said.... Hw many of dox dropouts were successful? Take d ratio. And how many of d successful ones dropped out willingly?

3 Likes

Re: ... by sashash(m): 8:47am On Oct 26, 2014
he sounds smart and intelligent ...he has foresight too to know afta Skul no jobs its a bleak future sorta....since he is in 300L I will advise him to endure* n finish it....coz buzness in naija setting u get looked down upon without a semblance of education
Re: ... by Dreyl(m): 8:57am On Oct 26, 2014
Seun:

If this is true and he has no carry-overs or other problems then I don't see why he should drop out. The degree is very useful and he'll regret not having it, though it won't stop him from being successful in business. I didn't drop out of uni to pursue Nairaland, I dropped out because I had issues that made it hard for me to cope, and those issues were not solved because we didn't understand them. By the time I started pursuing business, I would have had to start again from square one, so I decided to use those 5 - 6 years for business instead.

Bill Gates took a break from university because he discovered a once-in-a-lifetime business opportunity that he could not afford to miss. If Microsoft hadn't become such a phenomenal success, he would have returned to school. So maybe your friend should just take a 1 year break to face his business. I believe there's a provision for that if he notifies the school authorities in advance instead of just leaving. If after 1 year of business, he still doesn't feel the need to go back to spend just one more year to get his degree, then you can reluctantly support him.
i totally concur to your post bro,you took the words outta my mouth.
Re: ... by rattlesnake(m): 9:24am On Oct 26, 2014
Village things undecided
Re: ... by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2014
Rattlesnakegringringringrin
I'd advise he finishes his degree, it's just a year left. Won't hurt, he will not regret it. He can skip nysc for the main time if he wishes. Hope he makes the right decision.
But the Hadizy girl fine wella ogrin some Hausa beauties tho'.grin
Re: ... by mujiboy(m): 9:33am On Oct 26, 2014
If he is bent on leaving school,he should just defer his admission for a year,so he can always come back.
however,personally I don't think dropping out is a good idea when he has few years to go. my immediate elder bro dropped out during his second year for football, and his still battling with breakthrough.. it may seems the business looks bright now, but we can never tell...he should just try to graduate and he can have time to do all the business in the world.

1 Like

Re: ... by rattlesnake(m): 9:37am On Oct 26, 2014
Largas:
Rattlesnakegringringringrin
I'd advise he finishes his degree, it's just a year left. Won't hurt, he will not regret it. He can skip nysc for the main time if he wishes. Hope he makes the right decision.
But the Hadizy girl fine wella ogrin some Hausa beauties tho'.grin
yes they are beautiful but their religion orientation will hardly allow them marry correct guys
Re: ... by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 26, 2014
Re: ... by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 26, 2014
Hadizy:
Some of his online friends on Nairaland are ,

MayorAll
MizMyColi
Xcapizt,
Shinaf (seems to be is closest friend. I don't think he will advice him otherwise. Because they are always on phone talking business. Am also sure he his ware of this. ),

Hadizy, sorry this is not exactly what you'd want to hear but you and I know that the 'he' in question here doesn't need a piece of paper with a declaration of how 'bookish' he is to ascertain how awesome he actually is. I don't know his course of study but I'm sure it'll make very little or no difference to what he's capable of becoming. I'm as certain of his making it, with or without a degree, as I'm certain of the air I breathe. Naija needs more smart, creative and BRAVE young people like Y, and this is someone I've only conversed with briefly, but I'm full of admiration for him. You're one lucky gal, you got yourself a keeper.

Now, over to you Y. I wish I had as much balls as you, and I respect that, because fortune comes to the brave, no... they take it! Because they can, and they know that. But what I want you to know is that you're not the sole stakeholder in this decision. I suppose your parents/guardians have invested enough in you to have a say in this matter too. Bro, you have a vast and interesting future full of unfolding adventures ahead of you and 6, 7 more months won't stop you from ultimately actualizing your dreams and ideas. See how worried sick Hadizy is about you, it's because she cares (and you're the luckiest to have her especially at this time), and the piece of paper is important to her and your folks back home - it probably gives a sense of security, a safety net to fall back on in case of 'incasities' from their point of view at least. I know you don't need security and burning all bridges is an appealing idea, but dude, don't be selfish!! Think about others too and how this may upset and affect them. 6 more months and a degree will make a nice gift for your loved ones. Just saying, but by all means, bro, don't listen to me, follow your heart, it somehow knows where you really need to be wink I believe you know who originally said that...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ... by VocalWalls: 10:25am On Oct 26, 2014
Ymo****s,

I am in no way qualified to advise you, but I know you know better. Even as a graduate, I look up to you. Is this how you want to write your story?

What happens if business goes south?

Finish up brother, that's what I'd do.
Re: ... by MizMyColi(f): 10:29am On Oct 26, 2014
Hadizy:

Am from mixed religious home. So do not judge the book by its cover.

@ All

Thanks. Am really preparing on how to talk to him today. Will add many points here and blend them. Thanks

@Mizmycoli. He is not aware and at this time I don't care if he gets angry

@ seun he has no issues. I love your advice. But the part that got me nodding. Is if he takes a year break and he becomes successful. Do you think he will go back? If he his also not successful will he go back

@MayorAll thanks. Just please talk to him and shinaf his friend

I understand your pain dear, trust me, I do.

Allizz fair in love and WAR.
Re: ... by iLUMeN8(m): 10:34am On Oct 26, 2014
Haven't gone through the entire thread so I don't know if anyone has suggested this.

I will advise that he defers his preceeding session and even the next (if need be), this will give him 1-2 years to pursue his dreams and if his ideas do not pan out as expected or he still wants a degree, he will have the option of going back to school for it.
Re: ... by mayorall(m): 10:53am On Oct 26, 2014
He said he will think about it. Thanks madam.
Re: ... by Dollarjunkie: 11:16am On Oct 26, 2014
My friend will always challenge me... "The worst thing that will happen to a man is not to finish what he started".
Why will you stop on an almost through journey?
You can't just give up now bro, you've gone so too far from where you started from.
I pray you read this, believe me, one day you'll need this Cert.
A chance may come up tomorrow for commissioner or minister in the country or even your state. How will you get that without cert?
Even apart from that, I have many rich friends that are back to school now cuz they know how important it is. How much more of you that is on the verge of graduating. I also have a millionaire classmate that made his first million at 22 while we're in 3rd year, still he finished his 5yrs course notwithstanding enough flow of income during the time. One thing he didn't do is going to NYSC but he made sure he finished school and now face his biz.
Your sis love you so much bro so don't fail her ok, finish up the one year, you're bigger than this.

1 Like

Re: ... by gboyetade: 11:22am On Oct 26, 2014
I honestly he should just manage to get that degree or like as some had adviced take a break
Re: ... by ayusco85(m): 11:58am On Oct 26, 2014
Hadizy:
I never believed I would see this day where I will create a topic on Nairaland. Never saw reasons to until today.

Please @ All I need your help and advice. I have a nice brother. Nerdy / researchful that is so much interested in academic things or anything bookish. Since his 300Level during the ASUU strike he dived into business ( importing and some other stuffs ). He has been doing fine and cool. Making money and has ben pretty wise.

That been said I noticed a lot of changes, he stopped taking his academics serious. He stopped pursuing his dream of graduating with a First Class and have been so much glued to the business life. Recently he his on I.T and traveled to Lagos after that journey I noticed many things.

2days ago he said he wanted to be alone, yesterday he started some funny behaviour , today he broke the egg. That he wants to drop out of school and pursue his business dream.

I have been unable to talk him outta this. Please he his an active nairalander . I will just appreciate your contribution in talking him outta this this.

Note:
He his academically sound and is doing well and OK that you do think he his graduate working. So do not think he his leaving school out of frustration o poor result. His result is great. Thanks

Please help me talk to him, he's almost through and should be graduating next year.

There is something fishy behind his reason to drop out. 6 month ASUU strike isn't enough. I survived series of breaks and hiatuses in my pursuit of a good university degree. I went to unijos, and I spent almost 6yrs for a 4yrs course because of jos crisis and several lengthy ASUU strikes. But I finally graduated and am abt to serve. So wat am tryin to say is one just don't decide to give up and drop out because of incessant strike or because he started business. He might ve an academic problem he want to run from. If he doesn't ve any problem den its better he Defer the session, den do whatever business he wants to do durin said time. Wen he is in the right frame of mind he can go back and complete his degree. Don't allow him drop out, its a very foolish move, better he Defer
Re: ... by egopersonified(f): 1:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
hadizy's brother, this cert might not have any significance in your life but seven months is just too short a time to throw it all out. How about reading to only pass exams, and forfeiting lectures and come out with a 2.2, without doing NYSC? You have heard of those who went to school and gave their cert to their parents, this is your time to do the same. Even MI brags of being the only MC with an M.Sc, so its just to fulfil the graduate righteousness. I believe you have it all planned out and in perspective but the future is unpredictable, I also strongly believe you would succeed in this business but why not eat your cake and still have it? If you finally decide to continue with your education, please, please, please, dont put your ideas on the back burner, let them both run along side by side. Wish you all the best and hoping to read your success story soon.
Re: ... by VocalWalls: 1:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
ayusco85:

There is something fishy behind his reason to drop out. 6 month ASUU strike isn't enough. I survived series of breaks and hiatuses in my pursuit of a good university degree. I went to unijos, and I spent almost 6yrs for a 4yrs course because of jos crisis and several lengthy ASUU strikes. But I finally graduated and am abt to serve. So wat am tryin to say is one just don't decide to give up and drop out because of incessant strike or because he started business. He might ve an academic problem he want to run from. If he doesn't ve any problem den its better he Defer the session, den do whatever business he wants to do durin said time. Wen he is in the right frame of mind he can go back and complete his degree. Don't allow him drop out, its a very foolish move, better he Defer

Its not really about the strike or academic problems, he's a top notch, academically.

I'd say he's momentarily short-sighted.

He has probably read about massive unemployment, and has somehow, built an imaginary forte. He believes in himself, I believe in him too, but I do not support this risk he's taking.

I know he will excel in his business, but nothing beats a certificate.
Re: ... by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 26, 2014
Now some sensible comments are coming.

Bro,,doing the RIGHT THING at the WRONG TIME = WRONG STEP

I like d guy dt talked abt.......at least if nt for anything.....Ur parents have invested so much on u...u can't jx let dem down now.
I knw people will say u shouldnt allow anyone decide for u buh truth b told....@ dx stage of ur life, ur parents stl have a say
Re: ... by ayusco85(m): 1:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
VocalWalls:

Its not really about the strike or academic problems, he's a top notch, academically.

He has probably read about massive unemployment, and has somehow, built an imaginary forte. He believes in himself, I believe in him too, but I do not support this risk he's taking.

No top notch without academic problem will think of makin such a dumb move. I insist he has an academic problem he wants to run from.
Re: ... by VocalWalls: 2:01pm On Oct 26, 2014
ayusco85:

No top notch without academic problem will think of makin such a dumb move. I insist he has an academic problem he wants to run from.

YM;
I'm sure you're seeing this bro.
I know you don't have academic problems, that's why the move you're taking is unthinkable.
Re: ... by Krak(m): 2:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
VocalWalls:

Re: ... by Krak(m): 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2014
ayusco85:

You dont understand.
Re: ... by Krak(m): 2:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
Hadizy:

Note:

I trully understand how you feel about this but I have one word of advice for you:

Do not fret or try to lose yourself over this issue. If he does not change his mind then you should respect his decision, let him be and give him your full support.

He might have seen and understood something that is beyond most people.

Forcing him to do what you want might have more drastic consequences on him.

That is my humble opinion.
Re: ... by ancashy(f): 2:59pm On Oct 26, 2014
To be addressed as a successful billionaire graduate is better than to be addressed as a successful drop out billionaire, u have d ability to be a first class graduate,and an exceptional money making billionaire,y do u want to stab one for the other?
Re: ... by Idacrux: 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
@hadizy..I think dis is more of spiritual tinx,ur parents enemy at work frm d village,just consult ur spiritual..also in 300L n i know what it takes to be in 3 u know...ENEMY@WORK

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

26 Mind-blowing Psychology Facts That You Never Knew About People / 10 Serial Killers With Highest I.Qs / Top 20 Best Universities In Nigeria For The Year 2019 (no. 14 Is Unbelievable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.