Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,097 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? (1468 Views)

[photo] Please Who Is Mad Here? Landlord, Tenant Or Bricklayer!!? / Man, 34, Dies After Intervening In Landlord,tenant Fight / When U See This In Ur Newly Rented House What Will Be Ur Next Step?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 10:55pm On Oct 26, 2014
I have this issue with my landlady and I need help in sorting it out.
Of recent my rent was increased by 100% and I didn't complain but paid.
After the increase I decided to convert my backyard into a mini fish farm where I transfered my fish tanks (2) and this was after informing the landlady.
While informing her she tried demanding for a token for the use of the backyard but I talked her out of it.
Since then she's been looking for one excuse or the other to charge me for the use of the backyard (where the suckaway is situated). Now she's coming up with an excuse of me felling off a tree that she didn't know how it got there in the first place (she actually inherited the house from her late father).
Please nairalanders, I want to know before going out all wild on her, who owns the right to the backyard after the rent has been paid? The tenant or the landlord?
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by braine(m): 11:15pm On Oct 26, 2014
She has all the right to the backyard! Your agreement/rent is for the room. Your only option is to plead and be nice to her.
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by tosyne2much(m): 1:46am On Oct 27, 2014
You should know landlords are mini god in a rented apartment.. If possible, they would claim your bed tongue

If your landlord snatch your wife, na you go commot for hin house, and if you snatch you landlord wife, na you go still commot for hin house grin
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 5:57am On Oct 27, 2014
braine:
She has all the right to the backyard! Your agreement/rent is for the room. Your only option is to plead and be nice to her.

It's not a one-room apartment that we're talking about here. It's a flat and need I remind you that the backyard (including the tree there) is being taken care of by me plus she doesn't live anywhere around the area talk more of the compound.
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 6:00am On Oct 27, 2014
tosyne2much:
You should know landlords are mini god in a rented apartment.. If possible, they would claim your bed tongue

If your landlord snatch your wife, na you go commot for hin house, and if you snatch you landlord wife, na you go still commot for hin house grin

We live in a different world now especially if the tenant knows his rights. I just want to ascertain this aspect legally before I strike grin
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 6:03am On Oct 27, 2014
Oga seun please do the needy cos I need estate agents and legal practitioners on this.
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by blank(f): 2:37pm On Oct 27, 2014
It depends. If you are the only one in the compound, it belongs to you. If there are others sharing the compound, it belongs to all of you.

Legally, a tenant has the right to enjoy the use of a property and the adjoining surroundings without harassment.

As long as you have paid your rent. Its just that in Lagos, it is difficult to enforce those rights if you leave in a communal setting.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 6:59pm On Oct 28, 2014
blank:
It depends. If you are the only one in the compound, it belongs to you. If there are others sharing the compound, it belongs to all of you.

Legally, a tenant has the right to enjoy the use of a property and the adjoining surroundings without harassment.

As long as you have paid your rent. Its just that in Lagos, it is difficult to enforce those rights if you leave in a communal setting.

Your response make sense die but if I may ask, is this backed legally? I'm based in the north and not in Lagos.
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by blank(f): 8:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
korel9:

Your response make sense die but if I may ask, is this backed legally? I'm based in the north and not in Lagos.

Oh yes it is. Just that I am using my bb so can't paste the link to it. Google property laws in Nigeria, I am sure you will find something.

How can you charge someone extra for using their own backyard?
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by Peejayybold(f): 8:42pm On Oct 28, 2014
Shey na tenant build house ni? Na landlord get everything joor
Re: Who Has The Right To The Backyard Of A Rented Apartment, Landlord/ Tenant? by korel9: 6:00am On Oct 29, 2014
Peejayybold:
Shey na tenant build house ni? Na landlord get everything joor

I'm not talking in terms of ownership, I mean in terms of "Right to Use", u get it? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Perfect Touch Aluminium / Is This The Most Handsome Guy On Nairaland?? / How To Check If Your Car's Registration Number Is Valid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.