Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? (1397 Views)

What Is Software Testing / How Good Is Software Engineering Training In India / How Good Is Software Engineering Study In India? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 1:27pm On Nov 17, 2008
Yo! Guys if we really look at it, software goes way beyond just the PC(Personal Computers). Emerging markets are beginning to pop up in terms of Mobiles, GPS, Quality Interaction, Information Systems e.t.c.

I just read Bill Gates' THE ROAD AHEAD and he talked about his house. Here is what he said:

"I'm thinking about of this because I've recently built a new house. My house is a house for the future. It is pretty. But most of all, it is comfortable. It's where my family and I live.

My House is made of wood, glass and stone. It is also made out of software.

If you come to visit, you'll probably be surprised when you come in. Someone will give you an electronic pin to wear. This pin tells the house who and where you are. The house uses this information to give you what you need. When it's dark outside, the pin turns on the lights nearest you, and
then turns them off as you walk away from them. Music moves with you too. If the house knows your favorite music, it plays it. The music seems to be everywhere, but in fact other people in the house hear different music or no music. If you get a telephone call, only the nearest telephone rings. favorite/favourite -

Of course, you are also able to tell the house if you want something. There is a home control console, a small machine that turns things on and off around you.

The pin and the console are new ideas, but they are in fact like many things we have today. If you want to go to a movie, you need a ticket. If I give you my car keys, you can use my car. The car works for you because you have the keys. My house works for you because you wear the pin or hold the console.

I believe that ten years from now, most new homes will have the system that I've put in my house. The systems will probably even be bigger and better than the ones I've put in today."

He built this house years ago! The amazing fact was he saying that the house wasn't hinged on any Mother Software(Operating System). All the house softwares work independently of each other but seamlessly communicate together.

Now that says software is really yet to tapped. Imagine softwares that help you prepare a course study based on your intelligence level, present a vast community of solution providers to you, turns any avaliable wall around you to your interactive monitor that can be controlled with your touch, help co-ordinate your organizations' DIGITAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, creates a platform on top of existing platforms so that users can port their softwares to different systems back and forth with no hassles, systems that realize the concept of a paperless office, prevent you from receiving to much unwanted information, systems that make CCTVs able to detect suspicious activities, e.t.c The list is so long. The one reason why Microsoft is the biggest software in history is because they have being able to recognize this and they make the right changes at the right time. We are in an era of hinging on existing systems, in plain english it would be beta to port same applications on different OSes than having to create a whole new one.

The major thing i have noted is that in the software world, it is we, the softwares developers that have the most power. Why do u think Microsoft is spending billions creating a language suite for their OS, so that developers can keep creating engaging softwares for users of Microsoft Windows. They have learnt that they can't make all the softwares themselves! Or think again about their new campaign "Windows Vs Walls". I am just using this to say that it is time we Nigerian Software Developers take the bulls by the horns and start creating engaging and interactive softwares. Who knows the time of the mouse, keyboard or touch screen might be over! Who would make the next interactive tool? Nigerian Software Developers, lets do this!!!!!! wink
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by MisterMan(m): 11:00am On Nov 20, 2008
lordbenax:

The major thing i have noted is that in the software world, it is we, the softwares developers that have the most power. Why do u think Microsoft is spending billions creating a language suite for their OS, so that developers can keep creating engaging softwares for users of Microsoft Windows. They have learnt that they can't make all the softwares themselves! Or think again about their new campaign "Windows Vs Walls". I am just using this to say that it is time we Nigerian Software Developers take the bulls by the horns and start creating engaging and interactive softwares. Who knows the time of the mouse, keyboard or touch screen might be over! Who would make the next interactive tool? Nigerian Software Developers, lets do this!!!!!! [b][/b]wink

What are your suggestions? But please say something reasonable and don't give me this crap about we Nigerian developers beating Microsoft in software development. Or are your not the guy who was 'recruiting software army'? shocked. That post was one of the most stupid thread (my opinion please. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I am sorry if you feel insulted). Here, I am asking for your valued opinion. What do you think is the way forward? See what Indians are doing? Can we replicate that?
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by candylips(m): 10:29am On Nov 21, 2008
The end of humanity is near. Software and robots will take ove the world very soon
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 1:21pm On Nov 22, 2008
MisterMan:

What are your suggestions? But please say something reasonable and don't give me this crap about we Nigerian developers beating Microsoft in software development. Or are your not the guy who was 'recruiting software army'? shocked. That post was one of the most stupid thread (my opinion please. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I am sorry if you feel insulted). Here, I am asking for your valued opinion. What do you think is the way forward? See what Indians are doing? Can we replicate that?

Yo! @MisterMan. I was offering a hope when i said we should challenge Microsoft, now that hope is closed to outsiders, the guys working with me understand. Now in this post i was talking about creating solutions whether it has to be with Microsoft's OS or whatever. If u read my post well i offered every reaonable apporach u might need to get started!
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by MisterMan(m): 12:46pm On Nov 25, 2008
lordbenax:

Yo! @MisterMan. I was offering a hope when i said we should challenge Microsoft, now that hope is closed to outsiders, the guys working with me understand. Now in this post i was talking about creating solutions whether it has to be with Microsoft's OS or whatever. If u read my post well i offered every reaonable apporach u might need to get started!

When is the next greatest and best OS of yours coming out? I will be interested in buying one. You make some sensible suggestions this time out. We Nigerian programmers have to do something achievable. It is not impossible to create virtual company in which we can create software. With Soludo's vision of former community banks, I think that is an area where we Nigerian programmers can come in. They don't have enough financial muscle to go to India for their purchase.

I think the media can also assist. Serious Magazines and newspapers can always test Nigerian developed packages and award Best Buy / Editors' choice award as it is done in overseas. This will instill some meature of confidence in the buyers. Nothing stops us from producing accounting packages and being tested by ICAN and ANAN. You can be sure if ICAN can award best buy award, companies like Zinox will want to bundle this on their systems. Everybody will benefit. But to start writing another OS that will compete will Windows. Forget it. It is not 'do-able'. You have some nice ideas now.
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 6:31pm On Nov 25, 2008
If you carely look at all my posts, i neva offered HOPE for we creating a new OS! My teams and i know dat when we meet We are talking about leveraging/riding on the backs of every existing SOFTWARE COMPANY and not driving them out. Competition makes business sweeter no doubt but we are turning all competition to strategic partners.

On my Software Army Thread this were my last words:

Yo! The step is application-software not an operating system. Microsoft didnt build the Windows check the report on The GUI Confrence held at california 1999, send me your e-mail address to receive it, they only modified what the earlier proagrammers at seattle at built. Now the monopoly Microsoft enjoys is due to Apple's Macintosh mistake; The Company had just built a wonderful and first of its kind GUI OS- The Macintosh- then they fired Steve JOBS and refused to license the system to independent hardware makers. This cost them because Uncle Bill just moved with in his team and copied the whole thing and started licensing it, that was how their focused changed to the OS industry.

To challenge microsoft we nid to span across multiple OSes not just build a new one. Why is java still better than vb.net, because it serves a hosts of operating system. Think Possible and act possible. My Team would be going on launch January 12th next year, just watch out for what we have. We are not deciding to build OSes but applications, applications that challenge what OSes do. Imagine accessing your Home TV, Home kitchen etc from your office through your Home 2.0 application, it is just imaginations away.

Peace!!! I am still watching this thread

End Class

I know what it takes to build an OS from scratch and i don't think i want to waste my time building such! There r more futuristic apps. waiting to be developed! Think of things such as an interactive TV that captures your favourite programs when u r not around and replays them back for you as soon as you get back and settle down into your favourite TV-Watching position, or a software that makes all your payment transactions for you e.t.c.

The Future is in our hands!
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by MisterMan(m): 12:03pm On Nov 26, 2008
Hi,
Reading this your post makes me to start re-evaluating you all over again. Now, you are beginning to move up in my list of serious guys. I will surely go and re-read the thread all over again. I tell you the truth, most times these days, when I see any thread with your name, I usually skim it.

I am beginning to have new respects for you. Cheers and God-bless. Do you care to just update me on the project.
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2008
Tanks man! At least its okay we now undastand ourselves! I will surely get back to you!

Peace!
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by MisterMan(m): 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2008
I will want to have a private discussion with you one of these days. Too bad, I have not been able to re-read that post. I will one of these days. You are my man. Have a most wonderful fun-filled time and programming days ahead of you. U are my man. Please live your dream. Go out and conquere the world. Peace
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by mrperfect(m): 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2008
lordbenax , with your type Nigerians are yet to see,
keep it up man!
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2008
Thanks! God bless u guys
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by mrperfect(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2008
You are welcome,
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by davidt(m): 2:54pm On Dec 27, 2008
Good thinking, lordbenax.
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by A40(m): 12:55am On Dec 28, 2008
Hmm i still feel Nigerian Software developers got a long way to go before we start dreaming of what the poster of the topic above just opined
Re: Is Software Yet To Be Tapped? by lordbenax(m): 1:26pm On Dec 31, 2008
@A-40, i think the time for Nigerian Software Developers to be able to achieve this has finally come, some proof comes from the kind of guys i have on my team. We can really create things if we can only have the right mindset! Or what else do you think!

(1) (Reply)

Helo House,how Can I Bundle A Database File Into My Desktop Applicatn / A Must Know CSS 3 Button Effects / How To Buy Bitcoin With Hack$ed money highways Using Sofort Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.