Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! (1304 Views)

My Bitter Experience With Registering A Business Name With CAC Online Portal / My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! / Top 10 Website To Start Your Online Importation Business And Make A Lot Of Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2014
It all started when I had close to 40K then and thought of starting a mini poultry to sell for Xmas, but I was advised to go for online importation which I did. I bought men's wristwatches worth 10K from aliexpress, it took less than 2months to reach me. 6 watches I thought was real gold and 4 leather, the sad thing is that school is now on break so I dnt have any means of selling it.
In view of that I went to my big Bro that sells watches and showed it to him, he looked at it in dissapointment and told me there is no way he cn buy it cos he won't be able to sell it, before that time a frnd that stays in lagos saw the watches and told me I have been duped that the watches are sold for 250# in lagos...I didn't know what to tell him, I thought he wanted to discourage me, but lo and behold I got to sell the 10 pieces for 250# each, that's 7500# loss!!
For people engaged in online importation did you start like this? What is profitable to buy and sell?
Tnks
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
can you tell us the person you sold the watch to?
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2014
OlamiB:
It all started when I had close to 40K then and thought of starting a mini poultry to sell for Xmas, but I was advised to go for online importation which I did. I bought men's wristwatches worth 10K from aliexpress, it took less than 2months to reach me. 6 watches I thought was real gold and 4 leather, the sad thing is that school is now on break so I dnt have any means of selling it.
In view of that I went to my big Bro that sells watches and showed it to him, he looked at it in dissapointment and told me there is no way he cn buy it cos he won't be able to sell it, before that time a frnd that stays in lagos saw the watches and told me I have been duped that the watches are sold for 250# in lagos...I didn't know what to tell him, I thought he wanted to discourage me, but lo and behold I got to sell the 10 pieces for 250# each, that's 7500# loss!!
For people engaged in online importation did you start like this? What is profitable to buy and sell?
Tnks

the words "feasibility study" look ignoble but ones ignored before venturing into any business , then a poor foundation is set
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by mastercee(m): 1:04pm On Oct 27, 2014
You have just learnt the hard way. Yes, the importation business is quite easy and one of the most profitable businesses you can lay you hands on, but always remember, there rules, guidelines of the business. How can you buy a wrist watch on a Chinese website and expecting it to be real gold, come to think of it, a $10 Watch for that matter.

Before venturing into the business you should have tried as much as possible to learn the Dos and Don'ts of the business.
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
mastercee:
You have just learnt the hard way. Yes, the importation business is quite easy and one of the most profitable businesses you can lay you hands on, but always remember, there rules, guidelines of the business. How can you buy a wrist watch on a Chinese website and expecting it to be real gold, come to think of it, a $10 Watch for that matter.

Before venturing into the business you should have tried as much as possible to learn the Dos and Don'ts of the business.
I have learnt the hard way truly, so which site can I get real gold?
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 27, 2014
PURITYMYPRIDE:
can you tell us the person you sold the watch to?
A wristwatch seller, even if I decide to sell it in school, I dnt think I can make good sale because when I showed my classmates they showed no interest
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 27, 2014
aguiyi:

the words "feasibility study" look ignoble but ones ignored before venturing into any business , then a poor foundation is set
I thought I would sell it around school area
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Can2012: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2014
OlamiB:

Tnks

Everything is profitable and at the same time, nothing is profitable to sell.

Do you homework, if you decide to do the mini poultry targeting Christmas, do you homework. You wanna sell Zobo, do your homework.
No one can answer that question you posed above. Please study your environment and sell what you have a passion for.
I have a lawyer friend who makes HEAPS of money from selling his expertise and at the same time, fellow lawyers are forming charge and bail.

Do your homework, love your chosen field. Everything sells, even cleaning of shiiit.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 27, 2014
OlamiB:

I thought I would sell it around school area

thats not the problem. the problems are:

- who did you buy from (a known brand is better with a good return policy)
- what quality did you buy (original or fake)
- who are you potential customers (friends colleagues etc)
- who are your alternate customers (if the above fail to patronize you, who else )

these are some of the things a feasibility study would have taken care of before you started out. you don't necessarily need to spend money on a good study if you know were to search for information .

do a detailed study and try again. Albert Einstein failed severally but didn't give up
Re: My Bitter Experience Of Online Importation...over 60% Loss!!! by Nivlin: 2:04pm On Oct 27, 2014
It's unfortunate to read your bitter story.
But I assume you opted for wristwatch (out of the million possible products you could buy online) cos "everyone" buys wristwatch and make huge profit and you were hoping you would make huge profit too

You got lost in that imagination and forgot to do your homework. The fact that you stay in a student environment doesn't mean wristwatch will sell

I believe you've learnt your lesson, which will guide you in future purchases

To answer your question on what is profitable to buy and sell - take your time to look into the needs of students around you for there lies your answer

I wish you all the best

(1) (Reply)

100 Fresh New Business Ideas For 2015 + How To Get Funding / More Suppliers Of Zinc Ore And Iron Ore / Call For Your Industrial Tank Calibration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.