Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,741 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit (3634 Views)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogawisdom(m): 8:07am On Oct 29, 2014
My neighbour has d habit of always firing (depressin gas pedal hard on idle) his car engine for abt 5 mins every morning b4 moving out. He says it warms his engine n makes it work smoothly wen he goes out dt an engine is nt good to run cold undecided. I told him it is unnecessary for a car he uses almost everyday dt it wastes his fuel and dt few minutes of firin doesn't really warm d engine lik he tinks n d guy dey argue with me way b car guru(lol) angry
He wonders y I dont fire my engine b4 moving as all I do is start and move out. He claims I may b harmin my engine with my style.

Again I believe firing d engine may b ok only for a car used sparingly lik once or twice a week.

Pls u guys can join d argument stating ur reasons for or against d motion.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by abatically(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2014
First of all, what kind of vehicle does ur friend drive? No matter the kind of vehicle it is not necessary to rev the car before driving out every morning, tell ur friend to save the environment even if he likes wasting fuel.

In extremely cold regions where temperature drops to 0 degrees Celsius in the morning (which Nigeria is not, temperature hardly gets to 18 degrees in Nigeria), then it could be advised to let the engine warm for about 5 mins before driving out to warm the oil, but revving is not advised. In Nigeria, just start ur car and drive, but drive slowly the first couple of minutes before firing.

1 Like

Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogtavia(m): 9:47am On Oct 29, 2014
I keep wondering where dis early morning revving of the engine came from,anyone with reliable info abt this,shud pls share it with me,back to d matter on ground,firing ur engine does nothin for ur car at all,rather,it forces ur engine to perform,d best thing to do,is to start ur car and leave it idle for a few minutes,during dt idle time,d oil circulates arnd d engine and other moving parts adjust to it usual particular rthyms,d engine also gets sufficiently hot in order to perform at optimum.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogawisdom(m): 11:07am On Oct 29, 2014
abatically:
First of all, what kind of vehicle does ur friend drive? No matter the kind of vehicle it is not necessary to rev the car before driving out every morning, tell ur friend to save the environment even if he likes wasting fuel.

In extremely cold regions where temperature drops to 0 degrees Celsius in the morning (which Nigeria is not, temperature hardly gets to 18 degrees in Nigeria), then it could be advised to let the engine warm for about 5 mins before driving out to warm the oil, but revving is not advised. In Nigeria, just start ur car and drive, but drive slowly the first couple of minutes before firing.

He uses toyota camry 98.
Apart frm fuel wastage do u think his engine is endangered in anyway by this practice.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by dokilolo: 11:41am On Oct 29, 2014
I remember I once had an argument with a friend about this becos he was alwayz revving his engine every morning for about 15minutes.
I am no car guru but we ended up checking Toyota manual for a Camry cnt remember d year exactly but d manual stated that u can allow d engine warm for 10seconds b4 driving out.they also advised that you drive slowly for the 1st 5 -10minutes I tnk, meaning u shldnt stat d car nd start flying 120km/hr.
I tnk ur friend will be wasting fuel wit his habit.
nd mayb revving d engine will b synonymous wit driving d car at high revs I.e 120km/hr nd above. nt sure of dis last statement sha.let d gurus educate us beta

1 Like

Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by poca4real(m): 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2014
It very good to let your car be in idle for 5-8mins in the morning and let it get to operating temperature before moving out,this help alots in terms of fuel consumption and engine efficiency,also make engine to last longer.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogawisdom(m): 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2014
poca4real:
It very good to let your car be in idle for 5-8mins in the morning and let it get to operating temperature before moving out,this help alots in terms of fuel consumption and engine efficiency,also make engine to last longer.

5minutes of idlin b4 moving seems much I tink 2mins shld b okay while one drives slowly for anoda 3mins before goin to top speed. My tots
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by abatically(m): 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2014
poca4real:

5 -8 mins is too much. As a matter of fact just start ur car and start driving, before u get to the freeway ur engine would be warm already.

As for me, I start my car, open the gate, reverse outside, close the gate and drive. Between opening the gate and closing it back takes about 2 mins and enough time for the engine to warm. Also driving from my street to the freeway takes another 2 minutes, by the time I get to the freeway my engine has reached optimum temperature. Letting the engine idle is a waste of time, driving slowly before u get to the freeway gets the job done. Unless of course u live by the expressway where u can just get to 70km/hr immediately u leave ur house, that is the only time I can advice u to let ur car idle for a few minutes before moving.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by oineoma(m): 6:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
The idea came from the days of the Peugeot 505 and its brothers. Rev your engine to clear the carburettor of all dust and get enough fuel supply down the fuel pipe. Mind you, the louder your engine sound the healthier it is believed to be grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by erico2k2(m): 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
ogawisdom:
My neighbour has d habit of always firing (depressin gas pedal hard on idle) his car engine for abt 5 mins every morning b4 moving out. He says it warms his engine n makes it work smoothly wen he goes out dt an engine is nt good to run cold undecided. I told him it is unnecessary for a car he uses almost everyday dt it wastes his fuel and dt few minutes of firin doesn't really warm d engine lik he tinks n d guy dey argue with me way b car guru(lol) angry
He wonders y I dont fire my engine b4 moving as all I do is start and move out. He claims I may b harmin my engine with my style.

Again I believe firing d engine may b ok only for a car used sparingly lik once or twice a week.

BAD
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by erico2k2(m): 1:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
abatically:

Brov that's not the case. We start and drive off here in winter no problem at all,Oils don't freeze ,dont forget just B4 your oil filter housing ther is a small heat sink radiator like. Back in the days of non dry sell batteries yeh we had a bit of problem not now. I will only leave my car running while I clear Ice cos I want the interior to warm up. That been said, I av heated seats so no need for that either grin grin
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogawisdom(m): 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
erico2k2:

BAD

My tots exactly
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by brojero: 7:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
erico2k2:

BAD

EXTREMELY BAD

Start your car and drive off immediately.

The practice stems from the days when cars used carburettor. When the car was first started up from cold, the engine needed an oxygen rich fuel mix to get the plugs firing efficiently. Then you had the 'choke' lever in your car. People used to leave the engine to warm up for the same reason.

if your car has fuel injectors, no need to rev up in morning.

Even worse by the way, to rev up just before switching off the engine.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Boy2boy: 10:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
erico2k2:

BAD

it's seriously bad. Revin a car highly before driving out could cause serious damage to the engine. When you left your car overnight, engine oil must have settled down (in the sump). It takes few secs to get oil supplied to the valve train. So revin ur car immediately after starting in the mornin can actually lead to engine knock.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by infolekan(m): 12:48am On Nov 04, 2014
Revving your car early before it gets to the optimum temperature actually damages your engine.
There's an optimum temperature for the engine oil which requires that the vehicle warms to a certain temperature....revving before this temperature is attained means some part of the engine are not properly oiled and this wears the engine.
I've seen the car manual for the infinity 2007, my Camry 2007, bmw 2001, Honda accord 2012 and all said the same thing - start your car and drive immediately at a relatively slow speed and no hard acceleration for the first few minutes.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Kashif(m): 6:33am On Nov 04, 2014
It is wrong. Start your car and drive. Drive like you have an egg between your foot and the trottle till your temperature gauge gets to the full operational range (usually at the middle for most cars). You wear down your engine faster if you don't follow this practice....
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Ikenna351(m): 2:40pm On Nov 04, 2014
ogawisdom:

If you had understood the functions of cooling system thermostat and coolant, in relation to engine oil, you would have had your answer.

I always tell people, if you can, get a car with oil temperature gauge on the instrument panel. Its as important as coolant temperature that detrmines the longevity of engine lifespan if paid attention to.

The warmer the engine oil, the better the lubrication of engine. The colder the oil, the lower the oil tempeature. The lower the oil temperature, the poor the lubrication. The poorer the poor lubrication, the more friction takes place on lubricating parts of engine.

Oil temperature gets warmer as coolant gets hot, at cold start. Coolant Temperature gauge doesnt rise up faster while engine idles after cold start. It takes longer for it to rise. But when driven out immediately at low rpm, the coolant temperature gauge rise up faster due to load on the engine, via the help of thermostat and coolant.

That coolant temperature gauge has risen to optimal temperature does not mean the engine is safe to be revved hard. Wait till oil temperature gauge gives you go ahead. Pay less attention to your speedometer when you start and drive out your car when engine is cold. Pay more attention on the Tachometer, whether you are on city road or expressway. For a start, whatever you do, DO NOT rev the engine beyond 3k rpm when oil temperature gauge is still at blue zone.

Thicker engine oils takes longer for the tempearture to rise up. If you want your engine oil temperature to rise up quicker, go thinner oil. Its one of the reasons thinner oil conserves fuel.

Removing your cooling system thermostat, connecting your fan to spin constantly on with ignition or engine on, pushing the rpm high at cold start, all these will kill your engine overtime because of the state you leave your engine oil.

So, ogawisdom, tell your neighbor not to blame the witches in his village when it happens. Because, it will happen, the engine death.

Ikenna
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
oineoma:
The idea came from the days of the Peugeot 505 and its brothers. Rev your engine to clear the carburettor of all dust and get enough fuel supply down the fuel pipe. Mind you, the louder your engine sound the healthier it is believed to be grin grin
My pops did same thing, to his 505, and his betle, so who was I not to learn the ways of the old man? grin Untill I was educated I did same thing. grin grin

Meanwhile thunder fire anybody wey say him no do the same thing before angry
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by ogawisdom(m): 7:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ikenna351:

If you had understood the functions of cooling system thermostat and coolant, in relation to engine oil, you would have had your answer.

I always tell people, if you can, get a car with oil temperature gauge on the instrument panel. Its as important as coolant temperature that detrmines the longevity of engine lifespan if paid attention to.

The warmer the engine oil, the better the lubrication of engine. The colder the oil, the lower the oil tempeature. The lower the oil temperature, the poor the lubrication. The poorer the poor lubrication, the more friction takes place on lubricating parts of engine.

Oil temperature gets warmer as coolant gets hot, at cold start. Coolant Temperature gauge doesnt rise up faster while engine idles after cold start. It takes longer for it to rise. But when driven out immediately at low rpm, the coolant temperature gauge rise up faster due to load on the engine, via the help of thermostat and coolant.

That coolant temperature gauge has risen to optimal temperature does not mean the engine is safe to be revved hard. Wait till oil temperature gauge gives you go ahead. Pay less attention to your speedometer when you start and drive out your car when engine is cold. Pay more attention on the Tachometer, whether you are on city road or expressway. For a start, whatever you do, DO NOT rev the engine beyond 3k rpm when oil temperature gauge is still at blue zone.

Thicker engine oils takes longer for the tempearture to rise up. If you want your engine oil temperature to rise up quicker, go thinner oil. Its one of the reasons thinner oil conserves fuel.

Removing your cooling system thermostat, connecting your fan to spin constantly on with ignition or engine on, pushing the rpm high at cold start, all these will kill your engine overtime because of the state you leave your engine oil.

So, ogawisdom, tell your neighbor not to blame the witches in his village when it happens. Because, it will happen, the engine death.

Ikenna

Well done Ikenna
Yesterday d mechanic dt changed my plugs tried revving by engine too hard from d hood sayin he wants the new plugs to set well well. U need to see d way I shouted for him. He said oga na wetin, u dey mercy for d engine n I jst drew him out frm d bonnet, close it n left. angry

To use our mechanics u must b sure of wat they are doin n b there to ensure they don't mess wit ur car. Otherwise u r oyo. 50 percent of wat an average mechanic kws abt cars r wrong n most ppl lik my neighbour use their cars based on this wrong info given by our mechanics
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
Immediately I start my car in d morning I drive off, but my temperature gauge not move above 70degrees until d sun is high or I put on my AC at dis point it stands at d middle 90degrees. Does it means dat my car consumes more fuel at a temperature lower Dan 90degrees. It's a Golf 3
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Ikenna351(m): 9:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
suwas2003:
Immediately I start my car in d morning I drive off, but my temperature gauge not move above 70degrees until d sun is high or I put on my AC at dis point it stands at d middle 90degrees. Does it means dat my car consumes more fuel at a temperature lower Dan 90degrees. It's a Golf 3

Yes, it consumes more fuel when its lower than 90 degree Celsius.

Just know this, the lower the coolant temperature, the higher the fuel consumption. The higher the coolant temperature, the lower the fuel consumption.

Ikenna
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:00am On Nov 05, 2014
suwas2003:

Your thermostat is probably missing.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Your thermostat is probably missing.

Am not sure about that, the engine works fine, no overheating or unnecessary Temp rise.
Re: Firing The Engine Every Morning B4 Movin Out; Good Or Bad habit by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:53am On Nov 05, 2014
suwas2003:

Am not sure about that, the engine works fine, no overheating or unnecessary Temp rise.

Should take roughly 10mins for your needle to hit 90(half mark) if thermostat is present and functional.

(1) (Reply)

My Love For Vintage Cars. / All Lagos Registered Vehicles – Must READ !!! / With Toyota, All Things Are Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.