Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,129 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? (861 Views)

Two Families Battle Over Paternity Of Girl, 16 / Paternity Fraud In Nigeria: Are You Your Baby’s Daddy? / 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by smartmom(f): 9:00pm On Oct 29, 2014
When I had my 1st child my husband took his annual leave to assist in baby care. Now I am wondering if all fathers shouldnt request for paternity leave beyond the 6 weeks of annual leave. Your opinion parents in the house?
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by thorpido(m): 9:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
Lagos state civil servants are to be granted 10days paternity leave.
Paternity leave is welcome if it will be used for baby care.

3 Likes

Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by bukatyne(f): 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
thorpido:
Lagos state civil servants are to be granted 10days paternity leave.
Paternity leave is welcome if it will be used for baby care.

The wife should request for it.

It will be a disaster if wifey has to care for small baby & big baby

1 Like

Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by blank(f): 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
smartmom:
When I had my 1st child my husband took his annual leave to assist in baby care. Now I am wondering if all fathers shouldnt request for paternity leave beyond the 6 weeks of annual leave. Your opinion parents in the house?

6 weeks annual leave? What does he need paternity leave for?
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by mrlaw93(m): 10:02pm On Oct 29, 2014
They should.. when they start getting pregnant
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
Paternity leave is a must, mothers should not be left to face the rigours of nursing a new baby alone. I can't wait to have my first babysitting experience. smiley
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 30, 2014
mrlaw93:
They should.. when they start getting pregnant
lolz
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 30, 2014
I think it should be awarded provided that it is in the interest of his child. But it shouldn't be too long either
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by lonelydora: 3:39am On Oct 30, 2014
It's not negotiable in my company. 5 days paternity leave is our birth right. But the 5 days turns out to be 2 weeks with so many excuses ranging from baby wahala to wife wahala.
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by smartmom(f): 9:23am On Oct 30, 2014
lonelydora:
It's not negotiable in my company. 5 days paternity leave is our birth right. But the 5 days turns out to be 2 weeks with so many excuses ranging from baby wahala to wife wahala.

5 days ke sad what will that achieve? if wifey had a ceasarian, she wont even be out of hospital, if she had episiotomy, she cant even sit properly to attend to herself talkless of baby needs in 5 days.
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 30, 2014
yes, they should.. smiley

But it's more tenable in developed countries, not in Nig where many people think it's the responsibility of the woman alone....
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by radiant3(f): 9:58am On Oct 30, 2014
Paternity leave is nt a bad idea cos nursing a baby is nt a small thing o
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by lonelydora: 10:17am On Oct 30, 2014
smartmom:

5 days ke sad what will that achieve? if wifey had a ceasarian, she wont even be out of hospital, if she had episiotomy, she cant even sit properly to attend to herself talkless of baby needs in 5 days.
That is why I said with excuses it extends. But 5 days is official.
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 30, 2014
smartmom:

if you are lucky enough to have close relatives close by then they can help, after all no employee is being paid full monthly salary for services not rendered half the time. Something has to pay for that c-section anyway, and the money will not fall from the sky.
Re: Should Fathers Request For Paternity Leave? by smartmom(f): 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2014
How about if you dont have relatives living close by or you choose not to involve those relatives nko? In proper settings or work ethics, allowances should be made financially for maternity and paternity leave.

The real problem is that most men dont see child care as a masculine thing so are not inclined to request for a time out for it. Even if the men are given a fully paid option, they would rather not because they consider it a sissy thing.

(1) (Reply)

60years Old Woman Finally Gave Birth After Waiting For So Many Years / What Fun Name Do You Call You Mum? / Father Plans To Sell Kidney To Save His 3 Obese Kids. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.