Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,379 members, 7,836,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

10 Interesting Facts About The English Language Gabi O’connor - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Interesting Facts About The English Language Gabi O’connor (569 Views)

10 Interesting Facts About Introverts / The Amazing & Interesting Facts About Number 9 / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Interesting Facts About The English Language Gabi O’connor by TRWConsult(m): 4:00am On Oct 30, 2014
Have you ever wondered what the little dot on top of an ‘i’ is called, or what the only two words in the English language that end in ‘-gry’ are? No? Well, get ready, because you’re about to!

In the English language,

…the shortest word containing all five main vowels is ‘eunoia’, meaning ‘beautiful thinking’ or a state of normal mental health.

…the longest word with only one vowel is ‘strengths’ (9 letters long).

…there are only 4 words that end with ‘-dous’: ‘tremendous’, ‘stupendous’, ‘hazardous’ and ‘horrendous’.

…the oldest word is ‘town’.

…the longest one-syllable word is ‘screeched’.

…the longest word with all the letters in alphabetical order is ‘almost’.

…the only two words that end ‘-gry’ are ‘hungry’ and ‘angry’.

…the longest word without the main vowels is ‘rhythms’.

…the dot on top of the letter ‘i’ is called a ‘tittle’.

…the most commonly-used word in conversation is ‘I’.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Low Tuition Universities In Europe: List Of Universities In Portugal, Netherland / Mathematics: Invented Or Discovered? / 2015 JAMB UTME Registration – Instructions & Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.