Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,822 members, 7,828,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog (36677 Views)

Sarplaninac Vs Caucasian / Check Out Dis Adult Male Caucasian Dog! / Caucasian Dog In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by olisafincy(m): 6:33pm On Jun 04, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:
I've seen a case where a male rott killed a male gsd without stress.

I have read through all of the comments on this thread and all of the counter notions. However, based on my very little encounters with dogs, COs are usually very much aggressive than GSDs. Period!

story that touches the heart. you've not seen a GSD yet. no be all this quack breed GSD you see here in naija. when you see a good GSD you will know whatsup
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by miremoses(m): 6:52pm On Jun 04, 2016
olisafincy:

story that touches the heart. you've not seen a GSD yet. no be all this quack breed GSD you see here in naija. when you see a good GSD you will know whatsup
hehehelol.
bro ur one funny dude.which one is 'quack' dog..

what part of the world do you stay

no harms meant tho.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by CertifiedSamuel: 10:23pm On Jun 04, 2016
olisafincy:

Have u got a pure breed GSD and a pure breed CO?
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by PAQ(m): 11:36pm On Jun 06, 2016
Caucasians Pros and Cons are;

CONS:
. Difficult to train for the inexperienced dog owners.
. Very aggressive and stubborn.
. Need regular grooming and ticks management.
. Expensive to maintain (feeding due to its size, medical bills).
. Barks alot and very loud.
. Difficult to take for walks if not properly trained cos it will walk u rather than u walking it.
. Needs regular exercise or can get bored and destructive (not a couch potatoe like mastifs)

PROS
. Better looking and more intimidating than an average GSD
. Great guard dog and 24hrs alarm system
. Less prone to hip dysplasia than a GSD.
. Great pain tolerance due to thick fur (it was bred to tackle wolves and bears, protect sheep).
. Independent dog, so it needs little to no training to be a guard dog, naturaly aloof with strangers, and territorial.

German Shepherd Pros and Cons;

Cons;
. If u go for the long coated GSD u will face the maintenance, grooming cost of the Caucasian.
. They bark alot too, but not just as loud as a CO.
. Due to poor breeding in Nigeria u may be unlucky to get an overly playful and fearful GSD that welcomes strangers.
. Prone to hip dysplasia, especially the slant back GSD.
. A GSD can never match the strenght, tolerance and guard instincts of a Caucasian. But they are still very strong dogs, a good GSD will not back down either.
. GSD also needs regular exercise.
. Pure breed GSD are hard & expensive to get, even in America, what u can get easily there are Alsatians, Shiloh shepherd and King shepherds (they are all similar to GSD but larger and straight backs).

PROS
. Very intelligent, easy to train, loyal and alert.
. Long coats are beautiful dogs but not fiercely looking.
. Not bred to be independent, so they will always be by ur side.
. Short coats are easier to groom and less costlier to maintain.
. A very good guard dog too, but not as good as a caucasian.
. A GSD can easily live indoors unlike a Caucasian.
. A GSD will hardly turn against its owner unlike a Caucasian, whom is more independent.

Both are great dogs, its just a matter of the owners experience and Choice. Most Caucasians in Nigeria are GSD cross, so u still get a little bit of both sides. If you are not experienced with a small space dont get a pure caucasian, u may regret it. A long coated GSD will turn heads and give u less stress. I had a Caucasian GSD mix, the best dog ever, but she sadly died last year.

3 Likes

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by LexxyTech: 1:44am On Jun 08, 2016
ADVERT- Pure breed of Rotweiller,Pitbull,Boerbull, and others at affordabe price
http://lexxytechcorporations..com.ng/2016/05/advert-from-dog-empire-international.html
ADVERT- Nissan Xtera black 2005 model for sale at an affordable price
http://lexxytechcorporations..com.ng/2016/05/advert-from-anj-80-international.html
Notice!!! POST UTME HAS BEEN SCRAPPED BY JAMB SEE FULL INFORMATION
http://lexxytechcorporations..com.ng/2016/06/scrapping-of-post-utme-calamitous.html
also
i know you love movies pls who has seen the lattest prison break check out the lattest on prison break http://lexxytechcorporations..com.ng/2016/05/fox-presents-reboot-of-prison-break.html
or also see before and after pictures of your favourite celebrity world wide
http://lexxytechcorporations..com.ng/2016/05/see-before-and-after-picture-of-your.html
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Rapahel1116: 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2017
Am confused PLS I want a dog... A good pure breed ....bt I don't know which to go for Caucasian shepherd or German shepherd... German shepherd are smarter... Bt Caucasians are bigger.... I just want to good dog... PLS which should I go for ......can a German shepherd gt big or is it just a medium sized dog? Thank u
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrReeseG(m): 12:43am On Jan 05, 2017
I'll take my bloodhound all day everyday
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by FrancisAdl(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
oluomoadebayo:

GSD is more intelligent and trainable than Caucassian. Caucasian has an intimidating stature but never came close to real GSD anyday. Not the size of the dog but the amount of fight in the dog matters.

Lol very wrong your adult GSD can't stand my 10 months old Caucasians. You can YouTube Caucasian and GSD dog attacks to compare. Bottomline, Caucasians no dey gree make them lose...GSD knows when to stop

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Rapahel1116: 2:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
It's better u gt a Caucasian shepherd at least its easier to see the 90% pure breed Bt a German Shepherd ? undecided its extremely difficult to get a pure breed German shepherd except u gt a slant back evn the slant backs are not that pure..... U will spent a lot on their medical bills cos they are more liable to hip problems than any dog around.......Bt I can't still chose BTW a German shepherd and a Caucasian ....if u are confused also just buy the two kids for house Abeg.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Rapahel1116: 2:31pm On Jan 06, 2017
It's better u gt a Caucasian shepherd at least its easier to see the 90% pure breed Bt a German Shepherd ? undecided its extremely difficult to get a pure breed German shepherd except u gt a slant back evn the slant backs are not that pure..... U will spent a lot on their medical bills cos they are more liable to hip problems than any dog around.......Bt I can't still chose BTW a German shepherd and a Caucasian ....if u are confused also just buy the two kids for house Abeg. cheesy grin
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by barcaboi(m): 1:51am On Jan 07, 2017
Rapahel1116:
Am confused PLS I want a dog... A good pure breed ....bt I don't know which to go for Caucasian shepherd or German shepherd... German shepherd are smarter... Bt Caucasians are bigger.... I just want to good dog... PLS which should I go for ......can a German shepherd gt big or is it just a medium sized dog? Thank u
gsd are dope as well as caucasian. ..got some gsd puppies for sale as well as caucasian. ...if u re an experienced hand...u can get caucasian if not be safe wt gsd till u can know more.....chk my post for pictures of the gsd

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by barcaboi(m): 1:53am On Jan 07, 2017
Rapahel1116:
It's better u gt a Caucasian shepherd at least its easier to see the 90% pure breed Bt a German Shepherd ? undecided its extremely difficult to get a pure breed German shepherd except u gt a slant back evn the slant backs are not that pure..... U will spent a lot on their medical bills cos they are more liable to hip problems than any dog around.......Bt I can't still chose BTW a German shepherd and a Caucasian ....if u are confused also just buy the two kids for house Abeg.
if u no sabi abt dem....buy 1 and dats d gsd....have their own advantages too
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by barcaboi(m): 1:55am On Jan 07, 2017
Rapahel1116:
It's better u gt a Caucasian shepherd at least its easier to see the 90% pure breed Bt a German Shepherd ? undecided its extremely difficult to get a pure breed German shepherd except u gt a slant back evn the slant backs are not that pure..... U will spent a lot on their medical bills cos they are more liable to hip problems than any dog around.......Bt I can't still chose BTW a German shepherd and a Caucasian ....if u are confused also just buy the two kids for house Abeg. cheesy grin
I have a good quality gsd wch I'm proud of...her last puppy at 10 months was bigger than a gsd 1 man claimed was 3yrs.....so def good gsd around. chk my threads 4 pics
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

thanks mr teacher. Caucasian are flock guardian dog and they are good in protecting their pack but most of them bark and bite in fear and I have seen a lot of them with fear aggression while you guys think it's scary and a good thing to have. GSD is all round dog, intelligent ,protective and smart. i will take a confident sheephard dog over a Caucasian anyday.
So on point. GSD is a general purpose dog
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 7:11pm On Oct 02, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

In conclusion, I think it all depends on choice and experience, all the mentioned dogs are good dogs with different character. A good CO will over protect the house and scare of intruders with his natural instincts and size while others would get the job done excellently also. As for me , I prefer an average size dog with super temperament .
Your posts are so so making sense. I love an average dog too that won't gulp my money on feedibg, full of energy, can perform almost any task. And more importantly... I should be able to travel far without fearing for the life of my kids and wife, owing to aggression or stubbornness
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 7:14pm On Oct 02, 2018
MrReeseG:
I'll take my bloodhound all day everyday
Hehehehehe. They are not guard dogs... But I respect their sense of smell. They can even sniff out corruption grin
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2018
I love your replies on this thread. There are mature responses. But I stick to GSDs. Caucs are sweet though,the good ones however, not the ones bred for the sizes. Many Nigerian breeders breed dogs just to be big, neglecting other aspects of the dog that needs balancing. Many "breeders" don't even have a breeding programme... How they intend to improve on the offspring of the specimen (dog) they have. Many are in for the money and fame.
See you at the top

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2018
Overall, reading through the thread, was worth it
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2018
okikiosibodu:

So on point. GSD is a general purpose dog

The sad thing is to find a reliable GSD now is close to impossible also. Too much of health issue and poor nerves are in this generation breeding. One of the reasons I stayed loyal to my Malinois is because of the superior health advantage.

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

The sad thing is to find a reliable GSD now is close to impossible also. Too much of health issue and poor nerves are in this generation breeding. One of the reasons I stayed loyal to my Malinois is because of the superior health advantage.
Now I understand your perspective better. Malinois is a very close cousin to the GSD and are about the same, except size... I wish their coat could come in other colors besides fawn/ brown. However, I love their black mask around the muzzle. I love dogs with black muzzle.
I might start nursing that preference too. I love general purpose dogs, esp those with "noses". One just might never tell when the sniffing ability will be required.... Could be for a missing kid in the neighborhood, search and rescue mission, etc.
Overall bro, your posts have been stellar. Many of us cynophiles keep learning from you even if we don't like, share or quote many of your posts. See you at the top sir
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrReeseG(m): 3:12am On Oct 03, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Hehehehehe. They are not guard dogs... But I respect their sense of smell. They can even sniff out corruption grin

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrReeseG(m): 3:14am On Oct 03, 2018
Someone should come and dash me a dog... I'm lonely and bordering on depression and unable to afford one right now. Any breed (Def not "ekuke" sha o). Thanks

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by GRACEGLORY: 4:52am On Oct 03, 2018
MrReeseG:
Someone should come and dash me a dog... I'm lonely and bordering on depression and unable to afford one right now. Any breed (Def not "ekuke" sha o). Thanks

I'd have you in mind
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrReeseG(m): 5:30am On Oct 03, 2018
GRACEGLORY:

I'd have you in mind

I would appreciate.. Thanks (and I stay at toll gate)
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by vinscent: 7:07am On Oct 03, 2018
chucky234:
LWKMD
You just gave yourself out and this shows you know next to nothing about dogs.
Caucasian is confident,strong willed, fearless and assertive.
The fact is you have never seen a pure breed Caucasian let alone got the balls to stand next to one, GSD also barks a lot more than Caucasian.
My Caucasian lives indoor and rarely bark, aside guarding Caucasian were bred for fighting and combat.
Caucasian ovcharka was used in combat by Russian soldiers in worldwar II not for tracking but for pure combat, unlike GSD whose assest is its sense of smell to track and detect.
Caucasian in the past have single handedly fought bear, pack of wolves and lions, that is why it has remained the badest dog out there closely followed by Pitbull and Rottie. Those breed dont have any atom of fear in their gene bro, I'm not refering to those alterated dogs sold as Caucasian in Jos.

bro,u jt reading history.... b4 u start compare dogs..kn wot dff breeds r bred for, wot temperament ds dogs come with...because a cau is gud at guard,protection... doesn't mk d entire cau a gud dog....wen it comes to d qualities mentioned abv gsd is far beta cos ds are wot dey r cut out for...u said badest... whr is kangal,dogo Argentina, tosa inu.....
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 10:14am On Oct 03, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Now I understand your perspective better. Malinois is a very close cousin to the GSD and are about the same, except size... I wish their coat could come in other colors besides fawn/ brown. However, I love their black mask around the muzzle. I love dogs with black muzzle.
I might start nursing that preference too. I love general purpose dogs, esp those with "noses". One just might never tell when the sniffing ability will be required.... Could be for a missing kid in the neighborhood, search and rescue mission, etc.
Overall bro, your posts have been stellar. Many of us cynophiles keep learning from you even if we don't like, share or quote many of your posts. See you at the top sir

Thank you for the kind words. This place should be where to learn but the puppy millers have hijacked it and it's more of a marketing place. We need to remind ourselves that every dog has her own purpose and it goes beyond massive bone or head size.

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 8:43pm On Oct 03, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

Thank you for the kind words. This place should be where to learn but the puppy millers have hijacked it and it's more of a marketing place. We need to remind ourselves that every dog has her own purpose and it goes beyond massive bone or head size.
Sadly true. We like to deceive ourselves in this part of the world. Many novice love big dogs with big bones, and "breeders" succumb to this by mixing all the mixables to give them big boned offsprings, compromising the dogs' health, and temperament in the process.
Millers springing forth too. Cos they have a dog and it litters, automatically they call themselves breeders. Many people don't even know there difference between a territorial dog, and an agressive one. Many of them use "agressive" to describe a trait the love in a dog, whereas they mean they want it to be territorial. No sane person will love an aggressive dog.
The guy on your thread placing an advert, has 99.9% the trait of a Miller, that is if he is not a scammer sef. One love big bro
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by rumenase(m): 11:27pm On Oct 03, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

most people breed for looks nowadays especially in Nigeria.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 04, 2018
chucky234:
Companies selling dogs for protection?
lol epic
No, they actually have those, even here in Nigeria, if you want a dog that is already trained as a guard dog or an attack dog, they got them at sheriff deputies. But they are definitely not cheap.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 11:29am On Oct 06, 2018
mhd5757:

No, they actually have those, even here in Nigeria, if you want a dog that is already trained as a guard dog or an attack dog, they got them at sheriff deputies. But they are definitely not cheap.

A fully trained protection dog is not cheap anywhere and it's only few Nigeria that will buy such because of our cultural beliefs towards dogs.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 06, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

A fully trained protection dog is not cheap anywhere and it's only few Nigeria that will buy such because of our cultural beliefs towards dogs.
Me, if I could afford it, those are the ones I would be buying, I don't like buying puppies and wait for them to grow, even my current dogs now i bought them when they were already grown.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 3:17pm On Oct 07, 2018
mhd5757:

Me, if I could afford it, those are the ones I would be buying, I don't like buying puppies and wait for them to grow, even my current dogs now i bought them when they were already grown.

Nice but a fully trained protection dog ranges between $10k to $30 000. It is not cheap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why People Keep Gsd/Alsatian More Than Other Breeds / A Tale Of How You Were Chased By A Dog / The Flying Dog: Meet Spitfire, The Michael Jordan Of Dock Diving Dogs (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.