Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,232 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car (2304 Views)

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by Dotng: 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2014
WHAT TO DO BEFORE BUYING A TOKUNBO CAR

Somebody, who, ordinarily, should know what he was talking about (a senior Vehicle Inspection Officer-VIO), once told me that eighty percent of the vehicles on our roads are imported, commonly called “Tokunbo”.

And recent frustrating encounters by friends and acquaintances who have ended up with lemons (that’s the slang that’s used in the US to describe bad car purchases), have compelled this particular topic in the spirit of public service that birthed and guides this column.

The following are the very important things that must be rigorously (nay, religiously) observed when you, presumably an average person without any form of technical automotive knowledge, when buying a tokunbo car in the absence of an auto technician who’s to help you ascertain if the vehicle is good or not.

One, don’t let the aesthetic (that’s the shimmering or sexy look) of the vehicle fool you.

Two, before I go any further to list and expatiate this second point, it’s important at this juncture to emphasise that you, from this point on, have to be very very observant: Immediately you turn the key on (just simply by turning the key one stroke, no cranking sound yet and the engine isn’t working yet), make sure that all the images on the dashboard are lighted up. Why? Some Smart Alec car sellers sometimes remove or tape over the bulbs, inside the dashboard, of the warning signs.

Three, as soon as the engine is cranked, within a few seconds (it must not be up to a minute), the entire dashboard sings’ lights must go off.

Four, this is a tricky one: if you notice the CHECK ENGINE light going off simultaneously with the ALTERNATOR light (depicted with the image of a battery on the dashboard) and/or the OIL PRESSURE light (which is depicted with an Arabian jug-like image with a narrow mouth for pouring), then something is wrong.

Five, once the engine has been cranked and is running at idle, the person/s seated in the vehicle must not feel any discernible vibration. If you feel any form of vibration, it’s either bad engine mount/s, or bad transmission mount or the engine is misfiring.

Six, if the vehicle has an automatic transmission system, simply engage the gear with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, you must not feel any sudden shudder or jerking. It should be a smooth engagement with the vehicle simply trying to move in the direction (“D” forward and “R” backward) of the gear engaged.

Seven, if all the above observations have been satisfactorily met, while the vehicle’s still running smoothly in idle, put on the AC (air conditioner). The needle on (or counter of) the RPM gauge must still remain at the same position, allowing for maximum of fifty over or below (not up to a movement between two stroke marks of the RPM gauge). This is a good load test on the engine.

http://automedicsafrica.com/what-to-do-before-buying-a-tokunbo-car/
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by DrMuzoic: 3:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by DWJOBScom(m): 6:24pm On Oct 30, 2014
I love the writeup.........

Personally
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
***a good one
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
Good points but you didn't mention the rust issues under the vehicle, and PRAYER grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by dokilolo: 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2014
DWJOBScom:

Personally
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
***a good one

going wit a mechanic is nt something dat I will recommend. either d mech guy tels u d car is a gud ride 2 buy after he winks to d dealer nd coms bak 2 collecr his 15k cut.or he sees an obviously bad ride nd tels u 2 buy so he cn build a house from your regular visits. he can also tel u dat a perfectly good ride is nt in top shape 2 buy cos he knows d ride will keep u away 4rm him.lets b real, aw many trusted mechanic do we av in naija?
best tin is to follow wat was highlighted above nd mayb include 1 or 2 tinz nd ofcourse PRAYER jst lik gazzuz added.if d ride is bad u cn easily sniff it out once u follow dos steps.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by dokilolo: 7:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
was suposd 2 add a smiley afta d prayer...tin dnt load...so hia it is cheesy
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by doroboss(m): 8:04pm On Oct 30, 2014
dokilolo:

going wit a mechanic is nt something dat I will recommend. either d mech guy tels u d car is a gud ride 2 buy after he winks to d dealer nd coms bak 2 collecr his 15k cut.or he sees an obviously bad ride nd tels u 2 buy so he cn build a house from your regular visits. he can also tel u dat a perfectly good ride is nt in top shape 2 buy cos he knows d ride will keep u away 4rm him.lets b real, aw many trusted mechanic do we av in naija?
best tin is to follow wat was highlighted above nd mayb include 1 or 2 tinz nd ofcourse PRAYER jst lik gazzuz added.if d ride is bad u cn easily sniff it out once u follow dos steps.

You are so on point. Better to go with and experienced friend than a mechanic.

1 Like

Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by Dotng: 9:21pm On Oct 30, 2014
dokilolo:

I have had a kind of experience before. The mechanic approved the purchase of the car since he knew he will benefit from the repairs that had to be made. When I reviewed the matter with my mechanic recently (a very trustworthy one) he explained that sometimes some mechanics are afraid to prevent the buyer from making an obviously bad purchase because they are afraid that the seller may attack them spiritually.
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by DWJOBScom(m): 9:26pm On Oct 30, 2014
dokilolo:

It has to be a close mechaniic - I have a good working relationship with mechanic and he helps out whenever I need assistance but from the tips given I don't need him anymore
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by Waspy(m): 10:47pm On Oct 30, 2014
good content....poor writing
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by starlingbawa(m): 2:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
dokilolo:

Exactly what I did when I went to get my car!

Most importantly too, endeavor always to check the VIN number online or from any reliable source so as to confirm if the car's mileage has been tampered with prior since we know rewinding a car's mileage is another trick 'SOME' dealers use in outwitting unsuspecting buyers into thinking the engine hasn't been over stretched!
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by starlingbawa(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2014
Waspy:
good content....poor writing

let's not be too critical, rather don't you think we should appreciate and learn from the Op's highlighted points?

2 Likes

Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by ubiquitousade(m): 9:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
Dotng:

I have had a kind of experience before. The mechanic approved the purchase of the car since he knew he will benefit from the repairs that had to be made. When I reviewed the matter with my mechanic recently (a very trustworthy one) he explained that sometimes some mechanics are afraid to prevent the buyer from making an obviously bad purchase because they are afraid that the seller may attack them spiritually.

that mechanic is only telling you such to cover-up.

which seller have the time to attack an unknown person spiritually? so what if you are the one that detected the fault, will the seller still attack you?

my opinion: also do a VIN check and don't rush into purchasing the car
Re: What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car by FlyboyZee: 10:59pm On Nov 03, 2014
DWJOBScom:

Personally
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
Go with a mechanic
***a good one
Wrongest move ever liveth.

This is my experience.

I once tried to sell off one of my cars after acquiring a more recent model, so I put the car on display in a strategic location in the town. The said car is in top shape as I still used it to travel from Port Harcourt to Abuja and back while displaying it in between. As in its as well-maintained, clean, in top shape and as reliable as any car can be. No vibrations. No squeaky sounds. No wobbly movements. No burning odour. No torn seats or interior. No broken lights or electrical faults. Nothing was absolutely wrong with the car as I am a maintenance freak.

People started and kept on calling and bargaining with me. There was this one particular guy who went ahead and brought a mechanic to check the car out. The mechanic confessed to the guy I usually drop the keys with that he has never seen a used car this clean. He even asked my guy if maybe I bought the car for someone and the person offended or disappointed me, hence prompting me to sell off the car in anger, but my guy told him that I have used the car for 2 years and has already upgraded so there is no point in still keeping the car since I sparingly use it.

The mechanic collected my number from the car and called me pretending to the guy that brought him that he wanted to ask me somethings about the car, only for him (mechanic) to be telling me to give him N50,000.00 for him to convince the person that brought him that the car is a good buy, even after acknowledging to me that the car was in top shape and very clean. I told him to tell the man who brought him that the car is not good and as such he shouldn't buy and that that should be the last time he ever calls me again.

All I am trying to say is that those mechanics only see that as an opportunity to make money off you and as such are not looking out for you but solely and strictly looking out for themselves. Never trust a mechanic even if he were your father.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Save Money And Never Buy A New Car Battery Again! / Is This Gear Oil Good? / Whats Wrong With These Tyres?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.