Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,241 members, 7,953,911 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:48 AM

What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? (2773 Views)

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? by drss(m): 5:44pm On Oct 30, 2014
A question was ask by BBC Africa on Facebook about what Foreign Nationals think when they hear the word Nigeria. Below is the quote from BBC Africa on Facebook:

What do you think when you hear the word "Nigeria"? The country's reputation has been tarnished by corruption, email scams and Boko Haram - but when it comes to film and fashion, business in Nigeria is booming. Newsday's Bilkisu Labaran is in Lagos. We'll be discussing your comments from 0600GMT. Listen here: http://bbc.in/102dGP2

Check out the responses:

Nsubuga van Mubiru
Like any other country in the world,you can not have challenges in all fields.
Us who are in Uganda,we love your movies. may God be with you.
Long live G.B.J
Like · 36 · Reply · 11 hours ago
4 replies

Juliette Savita
I have been a friend to most Nigerians here in South Africa and one thing i have learnt about them is that they are proud African people who embrace the sense of being African with much pride, yes every Country has it's own share of bad seeds but majority of Nigerian people are good people with very creative and resourceful minds. A Nigerian can be educated with so many degrees but you will never take Nigeria out of them. I have seen some educated people in my country who wants to copy everything Western but not Nigerians. They are proud AFRICAN and they rubbed off this on me. AM PROUD ZAMBIAN!!!!!
Edited · Like · 26 · Reply · 4 hours ago
1 reply

Ntubungu Shekina Lifumbela
Wen I hear of nigeria I think of jx getn on a plan n go there,I luv de country de food they eat maks me go wow dats africa n de pipo...wud really luv 2hv frnds 4rm nigeria ‪#‎OneAfrica‬!!
Like · 24 · Reply · 10 hours ago
20 replies

Lawan M Kolomi
BBC your portion to break off Nigeria will never prosfer InShaAllah
Like · 22 · Reply · 11 hours ago
2 replies

Janice McGrory
Mention Nigeria to me and I think of my lovely Nigerian family. I think of all of my friends who have helped my over the past few years. I think of the care and compassion they show my disabled daughter. I think of the fantastic music that is played daily in my home. I think of a beautiful and vibrant culture. I do not think of negative as there is plenty corruption etc in my own country UK that I should be concerned about.

I must say I find the way you worded this post offensive.. because lets face it there is theives and robbers etc the world over not just Nigeria. You cannot judge everyone by actions of few that is unfair.
Like · 19 · Reply · 9 hours ago
8 replies

Rodney A. Irene-Bishop
When Nigeria name is mentioned I am reminded about a GREAT country that the imperialist British people ganged rape and plunder her resources and other African countries too.Britain is still illegally occupying Gibraltar &Falkland Island.They followed their Boss the USA to illegally occupy Iraq and Afghanistan and killed thousands of innocent men, women and children. Yet, criminal George Bush and Tony Blair are not in the I CJ for human rights abuses.When I hear of Britain and the West I am reminded that they are animals who legalized that a man can sleep with another man, very soon these animals - in - human skin will legalize that a man can marry his cat/dog .When I hear of Britain and the BBC I am reminded that this is nation that has imprisoned the Scots and don't allow them to leave the illegal union where the Queen has no job but she and her family is feeding fat on other people's income that is 419 (scam).Britain reminds me about LIBOR where banks manipulate figures and dumped people that is Fraud personified.A nation of child molesters.Murder rate in USA in a month is more than what BH did in one year in Nigeria. Britain and the West are addicted ro Cocain and other hard drugs that is why the drug lords in South America are rich.Who make BBC a judge over Nigeria/Àfrica, instead of apologizing and paying hefty compensation for years of colonialism and plunder, you are running your dirty and smelling mouth over a clever and smart people.Nigeria a blessed and great Nation with clever and smart people.Was Bernard Madoff a Nigerian? Stupid BBC and Britain!
Like · 14 · Reply · 8 hours

Maria Mhandire
When I hear Nigeria, I think energy, I think vibrance, I think colour. I also remember Lagos, such an active busy city with everyone hustling and bustling going about their daily business working really hard to making a living. What strikes me every time I go to Nigeria is the determination of the people to just get on with it despite the challenges in such a tough environment. The buzz and vibrant energy of Lagos is infectious. My next trip is in a few weeks and my first order of business is coco yam and egusi!!
‪#‎love‬ the traffic wardens in the yellow cubicle/ booth....classic!#
Like · 14 · Reply · 10 hours ago
1 reply

J Adolphus Sackie
I I'm a LIBERIAN... but when I hear Nigeria, yt comes to my mind is Africa's super power....not corruption
Like · 13 · Reply · 8 hours ago
1 reply

Ejiofor Chukwudi
When I think of Nigeria, the first thing that comes to my mind was 'VICTORY'

The first country to be the African Champion both MALE and FEMALE teams at the same time!

The first country of the world to defeat EBOLA!
The first African country that America is visiting to seek for ideas and assistance!
E.T.C.
Like · 12 · Reply · 7 hours ago

Honourable Ibemesi Nnamdi
What I think when I hear the word "Nigeria"? I will simply say its a country facing some challenges of transformation to become a Modern Country and I surely know that One Day they will surely overcome it..

Hennessy Zolnier
Where there is money and prosperity, you will find corruption and evil. This happens no matter what country we are talking about. The need for power and wealth causes some people to do whatever it takes to get their needs fulfilled. Just because this happens, it does not make the entire countries bad, but only the people who have evil intentions. Every single country on this planet is guilty of evil deeds, and there is no prevention; there is only limited control of the problem.
Like · 11 · Reply · 8 hours ago
6 replies

Ali C Nnaemeka Omi
When I hear the name Nigeria, I think of that country that fought the Ebola Virus Disease fearlessly. I also think of a nation of people who have learnt how to survive no matter its multiple difficulties.
Like · 11 · Reply · 8 hours ago

Mubanga Lecrae Phiri
Nigeria is not that bad there are loads of good things that u've left, mind you Nigeria is leading wen it comes to entertainment, GDP and they are great writers.. as a zambian i love 9ja.
Like · 11 · Reply · 10 hours ago
3 replies

Ibrahim Oroni
I am Kenyan and Nigeria to me means a country brimming with creative minds.
Nigerian arts, paricularly Literature, rocks: Chinua (RIP), Soyinka, Adichie Ngozi, Chibundu, Oyeyemi etc.
Edited · Like · 11 · Reply · 10 hours ago

Bin Gondwe
You have to be careful when dealing with a Nigerian they are very skilful at everything they do but above all Nigerians are good entertaining people
Like · 10 · Reply · 10 hours ago

Nambalirwa Monah Aminah
International thieves and Drag Dealers, Gigolos, conmen.human traffickers
Edited · Like · 10 · Reply · 10 hours ago
61 replies

Niyitanga Jean de Dieu
My dream country
Like · 9 · Reply · 10 hours ago

Basil Ekwebelem
Nigeria is a great country, colonized by Britain and hated by the same country that colonized them because they sorted for freedom. A country with great talents, extraordinary human and natural resources. An envy of all nations. A country without Nigerians is a failed country. We make great news everyday, good and bad. Terrorism is a global phenomenon and is financed by most so called superpowers. Boko haram will soon come for you. The hunter will soon be the hunted.
Like · 9 · Reply · 10 hours ago
2 replies

Colleta Nasha Chifambi
People who strongly maintain their culture,intelligent,hardworking,tricky......
Like · 9 · Reply · 11 hours ago

Lekwauwa Akwari
BBC Africa is indirectly tarnishing the image of nigeria by trying to convince every body in the world that nigeria have negative image. They hardly post anything gud about Nigeria,when they want to priase Nigeria they must find one negative image and attach to the praise. What is wrong in telling the whole word that Nigeria is doing excellently well in fashion and movie business without attaching curruption and e-mail scam to it. If u want to discus curruption and e-scam in Nigeria, fine, do that seperatly afterall they are both 'English Words' with British origine. You know what i mean. Just reminding u that Britian colonised Nigeria and the desire of every good father is for the child to be greater than him
Like · 8 · Reply · 8 hours ago

3 Likes

Re: What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? by politricks: 6:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
BBC should go and sit down.

1 Like

Re: What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? by iamrealdeji(m): 7:36am On Oct 31, 2014
I love this,i love my Nation

3 Likes

Re: What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? by iterator25: 5:39am On Nov 01, 2014
I guess BBC would be disappointed at the comments

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Gold Bugatti $ 2 Millions VS $1/day To Feed Hungry Kids In Sudan. / U.S. Protests: Riots Intensify As Trump Deploys Military / Islamic Terrorists Rock India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.