Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? (1648 Views)

12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today / The Doctrine Of Imputed Righteousness / Imputed Righteousness–a Transference Of Righteousness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
Why Does Christ's righteousness need to be imputed to us? What is imputation? Why, on the basis of Christ's death can God declare us to be righteous?

http://www.gotquestions.org/imputed-righteousness.html
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 2:13am On Oct 31, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Why Does Christ's righteousness need to be imputed to us? What is imputation? Why, on the basis of Christ's death can God declare us to be righteous?

Why again is it that if it is not from, this same "gotquestions.org", it is not always acceptable?
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 3:14am On Oct 31, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I know you will later copy and paste the "Answers" here so lemme do it for you.....

Question: "Why does Christ's righteousness need to be imputed to us?"

Answer: In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus uttered these words: “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Matthew 5:48). This comes at the end of the section of the sermon where Jesus corrects His listeners’ misunderstanding of the Law. In Matthew 5:20, Jesus says that, if His hearers want to enter into the kingdom of heaven, their righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees, who were the experts in the Law.

Then, in Matthew 5:21–48, He proceeds to radically redefine the law from mere outward conformity, which characterized the “righteousness” of the Pharisees, to an obedience of both outward and inward conformity. He says, “You have heard it said, but I say unto you” to differentiate between the way people heard the law taught from how Jesus is reinterpreting it. Obeying the law is more than simply abstaining from killing, committing adultery, and breaking oaths. It’s also not getting angry with your brother, not lusting in your heart, and not making insincere oaths. At the end of all this, we learn that we must exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees, and that comes from being perfect.

At this point, the natural response is “But I can’t be perfect,” which is absolutely true. In another place in Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus summarizes the Law of God with two commandments: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:37–40). This is certainly an admirable goal, but has anyone ever loved the Lord with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength and his neighbor as himself? Everything we do, say, and think has to be done, said, and thought from love for God and love for neighbor. If we are completely honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we have never achieved this level of spirituality.

The truth of the matter is that, on our own and by our own efforts, we can’t possibly be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. We don’t love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. We don’t love our neighbors as ourselves. We have a problem, and it’s called sin. We are born with it, and we cannot overcome the effects of it on our own. Sin radically affects us to our core. Sin affects what we do, say, and think. In other words, it taints everything about us. Therefore, no matter how good we try to be, we will never meet God’s standard of perfection. The Bible says that all of our righteous deeds are like a “polluted garment” (Isaiah 64:6). Our own righteousness is simply not good enough and never will be, no matter how hard we try.

That’s why Jesus lived a perfect life in full obedience to the law of God in thought, word, and deed. Jesus’ mission wasn’t simply to die on the cross for our sins but also to live a life of perfect righteousness. Theologians refer to this as the “active and passive obedience of Christ.” Active obedience refers to Christ’s life of sinless perfection. Everything He did was perfect. Passive obedience refers to Christ’s submission to the crucifixion. He went willingly to the cross and allowed Himself to be crucified without resisting (Isaiah 53:7). His passive obedience pays our sin debt before God, but it is the active obedience that gives us the perfection God requires.

The apostle Paul writes, “But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe” (Romans 3:21–22). Through our faith in Christ, the righteousness of God is given to us. This is called “imputed” righteousness. To impute something is to ascribe or attribute something to someone. When we place our faith in Christ, God ascribes the perfect righteousness of Christ to our account so that we become perfect in His sight. “For our sake he made him [Jesus] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Not only is Christ’s righteousness imputed to us through faith, but our sin is imputed to Christ. That is how Christ paid our sin debt to God. He had no sin in Himself, but our sin is imputed to Him so, as He suffers on the cross, He is suffering the just penalty that our sin deserves. That is why Paul can say, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20).

By having the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, we can be seen as sinless, as Jesus is sinless. It is not, therefore, our perfection, but His. When God looks at the Christian, He sees the holiness, perfection, and righteousness of Christ. Therefore, we can say with confidence, “I am sinless, as Jesus is sinless.”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/imputed-righteousness.html#ixzz3HgVPXbmo

But lemme ask you, do you agree with everything taught in these "answers" ?
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by 5solas(m): 2:03am On Nov 05, 2014
@Olaadegbu
Great post, as ever! grin.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2014
Goshen360:

I know you will later copy and paste the "Answers" here so lemme do it for you.....

But lemme ask you, do you agree with everything taught in these "answers" ?

Yes, I agree with the answer. The Holy Spirit imputes the righteousness of God on all who believes in the finished work of Christ on the Cross. We believe Him for our Salvation, Sanctification and baptism of the Holy Spirit. That does not mean that we are now free to take liberty for licence to sin as you have been teaching. If you believe in Jesus you will keep His commandments.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him" (John 14:21).

"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12).
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, I agree with the answer. [/color]"[/i] (Revelation 14:12).

Good, you agree in totality with the answers. Now, we're going to dig into the subject of righteousness and we shall pose some questions to you to see whether your heart agrees with the answers as you confessed or just a lip service.

OLAADEGBU:

The Holy Spirit imputes the righteousness of God on all who believes in the finished work of Christ on the Cross. We believe Him for our Salvation, Sanctification and baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I also completely agree agree with the above statement according to scriptures.

OLAADEGBU:

That does not mean that we are now free to take liberty for licence to sin as you have been teaching. If you believe in Jesus you will keep His commandments.

Okay, first, you always carry sin consciousness and just conclude the fornication thread that I'm justifying sin. No, we're doing the Berean. Looking at the things we've been taught if they were true. I will still attend to that thread showing you some stuffs from scriptures.

Back to the this topic, YOU, Ola, you do sin everyday so do I and many Christian around the world. I have TWO questions for you as regards imputed righteousness.

1. "IF" a Christian who believes in the finished works of Christ sin once in a while just like you and I, does this sin unravel Christ's righteousness in you and me? That is, does sin we commit make us loose our righteousness in Christ?

2. "IF" we sin or miss the mark, are we still a sinner even though righteousness in imputed on us?

Now, don't be jumping to conclusion that I'm endorsing sin but we're expounding of the "imputed righteousness" in the finished works of Christ.

OLAADEGBU:

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).
"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him" (John 14:21).
"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12).

Please stop quoting scriptures religiously. You should have out-grown all these by now since I've known you. What is the commandment the scriptures is talking about? Like that of what was given to Moses? We're not going into that for the thread, the context tells you what the commandment is.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:02pm On Nov 05, 2014
Goshen360:

Good, you agree in totality with the answers. Now, we're going to dig into the subject of righteousness and we shall pose some questions to you to see whether your heart agrees with the answers as you confessed or just a lip service.

I also completely agree agree with the above statement according to scriptures.

Okay, first, you always carry sin consciousness and just conclude the fornication thread that I'm justifying sin. No, we're doing the Berean. Looking at the things we've been taught if they were true. I will still attend to that thread showing you some stuffs from scriptures.

Back to the this topic, YOU, Ola, you do sin everyday so do I and many Christian around the world. I have TWO questions for you as regards imputed righteousness.

1. "IF" a Christian who believes in the finished works of Christ sin once in a while just like you and I, does this sin unravel Christ's righteousness in you and me? That is, does sin we commit make us loose our righteousness in Christ?

2. "IF" we sin or miss the mark, are we still a sinner even though righteousness in imputed on us?

Now, don't be jumping to conclusion that I'm endorsing sin but we're expounding of the "imputed righteousness" in the finished works of Christ.

Since you don't like answering questions, I'll answer your question with some questions of mine.

1. Can a fish survive outside it's natural habitat?

2. Can a dead fish swim against the current?

3. Is a toddler alive because it oft falls or is it a sign that he is living?

4. As an adult how often do you get toppled over when you are walking?

5. If you fall as an adult do you remain lying on the floor

6. Is falling over a sign that you are dead?

Goshen360:

Please stop quoting scriptures religiously. You should have out-grown all these by now since I've known you. What is the commandment the scriptures is talking about? Like that of what was given to Moses? We're not going into that for the thread, the context tells you what the commandment is.

I know that you don't like me quoting Scriptures so that you can beat me with your arguments but that's not going to happen. The Scriptures are the weapon I depend on to defeat the lies of the devil emanating from your end. When I say God's commandments I do not necessarily mean the Mosaic Law. Jesus referred us back to the beginning, to God's Moral Law (decalogue) that is also sanctioned in the OT.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 3:36pm On Nov 05, 2014
^ Ola, this is your thread and we can vacate it. If you appreciate people answering your questions, simple answer the questions I asked "as it relates to this thread". We're discussing righteousness not hide-and-seek games. If you're not ready to answer my questions, I will vacate your thread and don't expect me to answer any of your questions too and I will use this thread as reference to my decision.

If na you now, you go dey chase me everywhere say I don run away and Bidam go follow support you.....both of una dumb friends grin grin grin

OLAADEGBU:

Since you don't like answering questions, I'll answer your question with some questions of mine.
1. Can a fish survive outside it's natural habitat?
2. Can a dead fish swim against the current?
3. Is a toddler alive because it oft falls or is it a sign that he is living?
4. As an adult how often do you get toppled over when you are walking?
5. If you fall as an adult do you remain lying on the floor
6. Is falling over a sign that you are dead?
I know that you don't like me quoting Scriptures so that you can beat me with your arguments but that's not going to happen. The Scriptures are the weapon I depend on to defeat the lies of the devil emanating from your end. When I say God's commandments I do not necessarily mean the Mosaic Law. Jesus referred us back to the beginning, to God's Moral Law (decalogue) that is also sanctioned in the OT.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:44pm On Nov 05, 2014
Goshen360:

^ Ola, this is your thread and we can vacate it. If you appreciate people answering your questions, simple answer the questions I asked "as it relates to this thread". We're discussing righteousness not hide-and-seek games. If you're not ready to answer my questions, I will vacate your thread and don't expect me to answer any of your questions too and I will use this thread as reference to my decision.

If na you now, you go dey chase me everywhere say I don run away and Bidam go follow support you.....both of una dumb friends grin grin grin

Answering those questions will give you the answer to your own kweshions. Simples wink
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2014
Goshen, your scriptural reasoning doesn't quite follow..."when Paul advised christians to flee fornication, are you saying Paul was "in that sense" promoting sin consciousness?
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by christemmbassey(m): 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2014
*following*
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 7:48pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Answering those questions will give you the answer to your own kweshions. Simples wink

You didn't ask me questions first, I did. If you don't answer but choose to answer questions with questions, in a straight and sincere manner, then never mind. I don't have time for games with you but, we will be fine and I'm very sure we'll meet on this subject again and I will pull back this thread on imputation of righteousness - it is the authority of Christ's finished works in\for believers. You have to get this into yourself and accept the scriptures as authority alone.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Goshen360(m): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2014
Bidam:
Goshen, your scriptural reasoning doesn't quite follow..."when Paul advised christians to flee fornication, are you saying Paul was "in that sense" promoting sin consciousness?

Bidam, sin CONSCIOUSness is not the same as sin CAUTIOUSness. You carry sin CONSCIOUSness when you see sin in most\some things THAT GOD NEVER CALLED\REGARD AS SIN. This is a clear and simple truth in scriptures just because some people had expanded on the laws of God. We can see this all over scriptures.

2. I keep repeating, when we read scriptures like the one you quoted. It's not a stand-alone verse. There's something going on that was being addressed by Paul. We cannot just read into what that word "fornication" meant. We have to understand it before we can flee. Fornication when understood is a dangerous sin and the acts are mentioned. When you know those acts in the sin of fornication, then you will really know why you are told to flee. People can be wrong for centuries and we might have been following religion instead accepting truth of God's word. That's why I often say, tradition of men.

Let's be open minded like the Bereans and learn the truth - it doesn't mean we endorse reckless living. God forbid if I do such BUT prayerfully study what was going on in the Corinthian church and see for yourself why such statement was made. Then you will truly understand what fornication is.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Kei144(m): 9:20pm On Nov 05, 2014
Why is it that when parents get children, they live together with these children, until the children grow up? Is it not so that the children will learn how to be human beings like their parents. Why don't Igbo parents, for example, send their young children to be raised up in Almajiri camps in the far North? Is it not because children that grow up in Almajiri camps will never be like typical Igbo children? In the same way, the reason why Christ's righteousness needs to be imputed into a Christian is so that the Christian will become a son of God indeed.

1Jn. 3:5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
1Jn. 3:6 No-one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No-one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
1Jn. 3:7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
1Jn. 3:8 He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
1Jn. 3:9 No-one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.
1Jn. 3:10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

More important question though is, how is the righteousness of Christ imputed into a Christian? The imputing of the righteousness of Christ that you hear in churches is very unreal. Even the posts in this thread display the unreal imputing of Christ's righteousness. For example, look at this:

Goshen360:

If righteousness is imputed in a certain aspect of life, there cannot be sin in that aspect of life. If Christ's righteousness has been imputed into someone's relationship with the opposite sex, the person will never be involved in sexual sin.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Kei144(m): 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2014
[size=13pt]How is "real" Christ's righteousness imputed into a Christian?[/size]

1Jn. 3:5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
1Jn. 3:6 No-one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No-one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

The main reason why Jesus Christ came to the world was to get a people who will be sons of God. Sons of God have the nature of God and sin is contrary to the nature of God; so, Jesus Christ came so that he might take sins away from the hearts of sons of God. No complete or mature son of God still has sin in his/her heart. How does Christ take the sins away from a person's heart?

2Pe. 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
2Pe. 1:4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
2Pe. 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
2Pe. 1:6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
2Pe. 1:7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

It is God's mighty power that makes it possible for a person to become righteous. Notice in 2Pe 1:5 quoted above that a Christian should make effort to add to his/her faith goodness, ... But what you hear in some churches is that once a person has faith in Jesus Christ, Christ's righteousness in imputed passively. That is why after all the talk about imputed righteousness, the same Christians simply wallow in sins.

Mk. 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

When Jesus Christ talks about being saved, he is primarily referring to freedom from sins. Here he gives two conditions for a person to be freed from sin: 1) Believe the good news. 2) Be baptized into Jesus Christ. How do these two save a person from sin?

Baptism

Ac. 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Ro. 6:3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death?

A precondition for proper water baptism is that the person to be baptism must make up his/her mind to pursue holiness; that is what repentance is all about and that is what following Jesus Christ is all about. "Baptism" actually means "Immersion"; so, the proper baptism is by immersion in water. Ro 6:3 says that water baptism, if done properly, unites a person with the death of Jesus Christ; the person now has authority to plead the blood of Jesus Christ. Water baptism, if done properly, is initiation into priesthood of God. If you study how Levi and his children were initiated into priesthood, you will see that that is what baptism represents for Christians.

Believe the good news

The good news is simply that Jesus Christ died as a sacrifice of atonement for our sins.

Ep. 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

As I stated above, divine power enables a person to be holy. in order to obtain the divine power, you must come into the presence of God by faith. Our unholiness disqualifies us from entering into the presence of God, but if we have the right to plead the blood of Jesus, pleading the blood ushers us into the presence of God.

Lk. 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

If you are able to enter the presence of God, just ask God to give you His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit bears the divine power.

Je. 1:10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”

If you continually build up the Holy Spirit in you, by continuing to ask God, you can uproot and tear down any sin from your heart by the Holy Spirit, by simply saying it. You can destroy and overthrow works of darkness in your life by the Holy Spirit. You can plant and build up righteousness in your heart by the Holy Spirit. That is how righteousness can be imputed into a Christian.
Re: Why Does Christ's Righteousness Need To Be Imputed To Us? by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 07, 2014
Goshen360:

Bidam, sin CONSCIOUSness is not the same as sin CAUTIOUSness. You carry sin CONSCIOUSness when you see sin in most\some things THAT GOD NEVER CALLED\REGARD AS SIN. This is a clear and simple truth in scriptures just because some people had expanded on the laws of God. We can see this all over scriptures.
This ya english heavy. you wan reinvent english again? chei. grin anyway the bible says when it comes to evil, to be like babies, but think like mature people concerning spiritual matters, this explains why Paul says to flee fornication.

2. I keep repeating, when we read scriptures like the one you quoted. It's not a stand-alone verse. There's something going on that was being addressed by Paul. We cannot just read into what that word "fornication" meant. We have to understand it before we can flee. Fornication when understood is a dangerous sin and the acts are mentioned. When you know those acts in the sin of fornication, then you will really know why you are told to flee. People can be wrong for centuries and we might have been following religion instead accepting truth of God's word. That's why I often say, tradition of men.
To me premarital sex is included in defining fornication. To flee means, to flee premarital sex also.

Let's be open minded like the Bereans and learn the truth - it doesn't mean we endorse reckless living. God forbid if I do such BUT prayerfully study what was going on in the Corinthian church and see for yourself why such statement was made. Then you will truly understand what fornication is.
Marriage legally binds a union. Once you are loose with someone you are not married to because no responsibility is attached on you, You will also be loose to all others that comes your way..It is the nature of the flesh..it resists being caged and controlled. The easy way out is marriage which defines discipline and boundaries. I know your flesh is trying hard to resist this kind of imposed law but that is the way it is bro. A christian is never free in the "actual sense". grin

(1) (Reply)

Secret About Chain Messages Revealed / Why Do Animals Die, Did They Commit Any Sin With Adam And Eve? / The Christian Brother Vs The Badoo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.