Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) (862 Views)

5 Things I Notice Every Time I Argue With Theist(s) / A Theist Wants Advice On Suing God For Creating The Devil / Dialogue Between An Atheist And A Theist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by davien(m): 1:45am On Oct 31, 2014
Believers have certain aspects of thinking that religion has bestowed on them....below is just a list of points i've noticed so far..

[b] 1.

MY RELIGION IS MY MORAL COMPASS;

Most theists love citing their holy books and citations as a "divinely" inspired account of how human morality ought to be..
In many cases they attempt to envision a moral high ground upon others based on their religion....it may be through childhood indoctrination, church and state governance, evangelism, public preaching etc..this can lead to hostilities..the promotion of certain norms as laws...the portrayal of certain human emotions as pure evil(in some religions)...the portrayal of certain thoughts as evil also(in some religions)...etc

I AM NOT A PART OF THE UNIVERSE;

Theists(depending on religion/belief) will often see themselves as the product of a grand other-worldly plan in which someone or something perceived greater than reality has a plan for them...this plan is or rather was given to them through ancient texts of which have to be taken on faith alone...
This can lead to racist-like views on other people who do not accept their "divinely" inspired claims as true...
The major feature of this view is that, since theists perceive themselves as "greater" or "lower" than reality....they treat others around them differently(good/bad) because they believe their existence is only temporary...thus any decision made should only reflect to their perceived "goal reality"...

LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, NAMES, SYMBOLS,ETC HAVE MEANINGS ;

Theists believe that nothing ever happens without a defining meaning...
It doesn't matter if the perceived phenomenon is well understood...it will have a meaning(infact the less understood the better)...
Have an extra digit?....it has a perceived meaning..
Born on a date or string of events?...it has a perceived meaning
Had a dream?.....it has a perceived meaning
The root of the meanings of such things have been instilled through the religion or belief,unaware or ignored to the fact that meanings are imbued by theistic people and differ among others...
Meanings are extended to understand and simplify any perceived event,object,emotion or experience..

I HAVE A SECRET TO SHARE ;

Theists have a "message" to spread about their beliefs/holy books that will reveal an unknown "secret knowledge" to those unaware of it...whether this message is true or validate-able does not matter....the way the theist initially accepted such "secret knowledge" will determine the way they spread or disseminate it to others...
Rejection of the claims pertaining to this knowledge on the basis of lack evidence or the nature of the claim may lead to hostilities(verbal,physical,etc) or lead to pity(because of the consequences the claim is perceived to hold).

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT ;

Theistic claims to a theist has to be either accepted or denied.....

IF SCIENCE DOESN'T KNOW OR CAN'T TELL ME HOW ...THEN I'M LIKELY RIGHT ;

This particular theistic view is held as an argument from ignorance....in which because there is a lack of knowledge on how something operates therefore their views are somehow automatically right or just as good as anyone else's....
This view is the driving force of most beliefs....the ignorance or lack of knowledge has to be filled up by an explanation...that explanation is mostly unfalsify-able....

MY BASIC VIEW OR KNOWLEDGE APPLIES TO EVERYTHING ;

This is where theistic apologetics comes in...where fields of knowledge that take years to understand and study is belittled by a theist who perceives that his view of reality answers everything there is to know about reality....and any validate-able theory or testable hypothesis that goes against a theist belief' is utterly wrong...
regular or agnostic theist,staunch or gnostic theist and extremist or creationist religious theist use this view on varying grounds...
A regular theist might posit that "science doesn't know everything" therefore "my belief is probably true"
A staunch theist may claim that "god is beyond science" as though it had been established from the start by taking the theistic claims as absolutely true...
An extremist or creationist may see all other methods of knowledge as false and structure his/her mind to ignore any and all other views...
Any and all other evidence against such a belief even without presentation is false.. this only shows how true their beliefs are...if they have to ignore everything else with the extra motive of denigrating others...
Creationists may equate science to religion so as to create a false dichotomy that such things also are taken on faith and dogma...ignoring the fact that science changes upon discovery of more accurate knowledge whereas religion doesn't..

Arbitrary knowledge such as "everything observed is causal" therefore the "universe is also"....this perceived knowledge is then presented with a make believe answer... "therefore god"

SO FAR THESE ARE THE ONLY VIEWS OF THEIST I COULD TOUCH ...

[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by davien(m): 7:38am On Oct 31, 2014
can one make good decisions based on these few points?
Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by AgentOfAllah: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2014
davien:
Arbitrary knowledge such as "everything observed is causal" therefore the "universe is also"....this perceived knowledge is then presented with a make believe answer... "therefore god"
Making good decisions? Depends on how well they compartmentalize. Having good circular conversations on the other hand...hmmm

Religionist: Everything is caused, therefore the universe is caused. Therefore, god caused the universe.

Skeptic: If everything is caused, what caused god?

Religionist: God is uncaused.

Skeptic: So everything is not caused then?

Religionist: Yes, god is not caused.

Skeptic: So why do you assume the universe is caused?

Religionist: Because everything is caused.

Skeptic: undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by abdulwastecx(m): 8:10am On Oct 31, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

Making good decisions? Depends on how well they compartmentalize. Having good circular conversations on the other hand...hmmm

Religionist: Everything is caused, therefore the universe is caused. Therefore, god caused the universe.

Skeptic: If everything is caused, what caused god?

Religionist: God is uncaused.

Skeptic: So everything is not caused then?

Religionist: Yes, god is not caused.

Skeptic: So why do you assume the universe is caused?

Religionist: Because everything is caused.

Skeptic: undecided undecided

what about if God is some kind super intelligent alien from solar system thousands of years ahead of us... we may just be some experimental lab of a baby alien
Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by AgentOfAllah: 8:31am On Oct 31, 2014
abdulwastecx:

what about if God is some kind super intelligent alien from solar system thousands of years ahead of us... we may just be some experimental lab of a baby alien

Maybe that could explain why the gods of the bible and quran behave like immature individuals with excessive teenage hormones.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 31, 2014
davien:
hell no.

1 Like

Re: The Mentality Of A Theist,Good Or Bad? (free Discussion) by Pr0ton: 11:52am On Oct 31, 2014
abdulwastecx:

Yet

... everything is caused

(1) (Reply)

Hard Questions From The Bible / An Android Application Of Surah Mulk, Surah Kahf And Many More / 11 Signs Of A False Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.