Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,850 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People (66014 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by pastorgodswillm(m): 5:21pm On Jan 05, 2015
God bless you my brother

THIS IS THE MOST INSIGHTFUL AND INSPIRING INFORMATION I HAVE EVER HEARD OR READ ABOUT MY PEOPLE IGBOS

NOW I'M PROUD TO BE AN IGBO MAN

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 05, 2015
u missed so many points abt d igbos....they are the greatest drug traffickers in d world....greatest kidnappers in Nigeria. ....greatest pirates in d world. ....greatest ritualists in d world....great armed robbers in Nigeria. .....greatest traitors in Nigeria. ...greatest tresspassers in Nigeria. ....greatest 419ners in d world. ....greatest fraudulent pple in d world. ....u missed all dz...

6 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 05, 2015
@OP - I have 4 questions for you & your people.

1.) If the Igboland is not landlocked; Y can't Igbo business men be shipping & clearing their containers at Anambra, Onitsha or even Enugu through the so-called Uguta Lake instead of congesting the Lagos wharf for us?

2.) If there is Oil in Imo, Ebonyi & Anambra; Y then do the Igbos want to kill themselves over the recently discovered Oil in Kogi?

And Y are the Igbos always laying claims to Rivers & Delta States Oil as theirs?

If so, Y can't they confront & challenge Asari Dokubo & Tompolo over the Oil in Rivers & Delta respectively if truly it belongs to the Igbos?

Abi the Igbo are scared that Tompolo will not hesitate to wipe out the entire Igbo population with his newly acquired war vessels?

3.) If the Igbo' calender is indeed accurate, Y did they abolish it & chose to adopt the gregorian calender?

4.) Y do the Igbo wear Yoruba Agbada & Hausa Baban Riga but the Yoruba and the Hausa do not ever wear Igbo National Dress?

Answer: It is not far fetched. The Yorubas cannot wear the Igbo National Dress simply because the Igbos always refer to them [generally] as Amala & Ewedu people, Yoruba & betrayals of Biafra & Ojemba Ojukwu, while also trying to dominate them & steal Lagos from them in addition to calling them cowards.

The Hausas also cannot wear the Igbo National Dress simply because the Igbos refer to all of them as Terrorists, Almajiris, Boko Haram, Pedophiles and most importantly because they support Goodluck Jonathan in his 2nd term bid even when most of their region & people are being bombed constantly by GEJ's faction of Boko Haram [otherwise, how would explain the Alimodu Sheriff's recent exoneration by GEJ & Henry Okah's confession on the October 1, 2010 Bombing in Abuja]?

Note: I have answered the 4th question for you, but kindly answer the remaining 3 questions politely.

Pls let us be civil & not engage in tribal e-war as a result of my questions because this is a New Year.

Gracias!

6 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Deltagiant: 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
swezenberg:

Go and play with toys. I did not quote you or referred to you. I need intelligent response from adults not kids who can't think of anything but insults on their fathers.

My free education brought me here to rub shoulders with the most intelligent on earth. What has your paid education earned you.
Mister, stop blabbing and answer my question.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Igbo kwenu? cheesy I love my Igbo peeps...if you want to live with your wife without divorce, marry an Igbo lady.... grin cool cool shocked

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fr3do(m): 5:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
zleemshaddy:
cheesy nyc info

cool i rep Imo state

#proudlyigbo

Where is the G angry
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by swezenberg(m): 5:32pm On Jan 05, 2015
Deltagiant:

Mister, stop blabbing and answer my question.

I will answer your question when your paid education is enough to defend your claims of those areas mentioned in the article because Igbo language is mostly spoken there.

Your inability to decipher the context of my statement leaves me with no option than to consider you a non conversant.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Truckpusher(m): 5:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
Port Harcourt now part of Igbo land?.....smh

When you constantly feed your children with lies they are bound to make the same mistake that killed you.

7 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Mrbigman1(m): 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
nkadoj:

Atuolu omalu, omalu, Atuolu ofeke, ofenye isi na ohia

Easy dose it bro.
Nwayo biko tupu madu Ebe Akwa hia.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by ElekeNtioba: 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
1shortblackboy:
Did any of u guys sEe part where d writer said some igbo slaves walked on water back to Afica. Was he being serious or joking ?

they actually drowned. Its not a myth but fact. They believed if they journeyed by the way they came they will make it back to their ancestral lands....they rather die than become slaves. There is a monument built in their honour in Virginia, USA.

Their symbolic action represents the indefatigable spirit of the present-day Igbos. Its d same spirit behind d declaration of Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
Maxivalue:
Question: Where did the Igbo come from?

Answer: That question is still being asked. There are very intriguing theories or histories now being studied. You may have heard of the Jewish angle, the Egypt angle, and the Origin of man angle. This twenty-first century, hopefully, will resolve the mystery.

IGBOs are really from Israel. They have some common cultures and customs that bond the with Israel

Na ur papa dey frm yisrael. Mumu

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Deltagiant: 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
swezenberg:

I will answer your question when your paid education is enough to defend your claims of those areas mentioned in the article because Igbo language is mostly spoken there.

Your inability to decipher the context of my statement leaves me with no option than to consider you a non conversant.

I'm now convinced you need a paid tutorial on the ethnography of Nigeria. Sorry.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by lacasera14(m): 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
Proudly Rivers- The oil and gas hub of Africa's most populous nation grin

7 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Mrbigman1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 05, 2015
[quote author=jingh post=29516054]is dere a different between our word ? or you re high on raw cassava ?[/quote

Lwkmd. Take am easy joor. Excitement could be d course of him or her not reading to understand.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 5:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
Arogba:

Igboland Benue? Very wrong and misleading! Rather, its the other way round. All northern igbos are descendants of Igala and the Idomas!
Anambra is not a homogeneous Igbo state and so is Enugu state too. Attama, Onochie, Okolo etc are not Igbo names.

Oh really? Attama,Okolo and Onochie are not Igbo names? What are they because I have relatives and friends who have those names and they are from Anambra

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by dhtml(m): 5:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
There are many controversial stuffs in this article.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Mrbigman1(m): 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2015
AnanseK:

Is it true that all Igbo's have criminal genes?

Yaeh,
We steal from d rich and give to d poor but it's a pity we passed ur village and ur family cos u ppl re just tooooo poor and our emotions over rides dat.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by manny4life(m): 5:46pm On Jan 05, 2015
Zoharariel:
@OP - I have 4 questions for you & your people.

1.) If the Igboland is not landlocked; Y can't Igbo business men be shipping & clearing their containers at Anambra, Onitsha or even Enugu through the so-called Uguta Lake instead of congesting the Lagos wharf for us?

2.) If there is Oil in Imo, Ebonyi & Anambra; Y then do the Igbos want to kill themselves over the recently discovered Oil in Kogi?

And Y are the Igbos always laying claims to Rivers & Delta States Oil as theirs?

If so, Y can't they confront & challenge Asari Dokubo & Tompolo over the Oil in Rivers & Delta respectively if truly it belongs to the Igbos?

Abi the Igbo are scared that Tompolo will not hesitate to wipe out the entire Igbo population with his newly acquired war vessels?

3.) If the Igbo' calender is indeed accurate, Y did they abolish it & chose to adopt the gregorian calender?

4.) Y do the Igbo wear Yoruba Agbada & Hausa Baban Riga but the Yoruba and the Hausa do not ever wear Igbo National Dress?

Answer: It is not far fetched. The Yorubas cannot wear the Igbo National Dress simply because the Igbos always refer to them [generally] as Amala & Ewedu people, Yoruba & betrayals of Biafra & Ojemba Ojukwu, while also trying to dominate them & steal Lagos from them in addition to calling them cowards.

The Hausas also cannot wear the Igbo National Dress simply because the Igbos refer to all of them as Terrorists, Almajiris, Boko Haram, Pedophiles and most importantly because they support Goodluck Jonathan in his 2nd term bid even when most of their region & people are being bombed constantly by GEJ's faction of Boko Haram [otherwise, how would explain the Alimodu Sheriff's recent exoneration by GEJ & Henry Okah's confession on the October 1, 2010 Bombing in Abuja]?

Note: I have answered the 4th question for you, but kindly answer the remaining 3 questions politely.

Pls let us be civil & not engage in tribal e-war as a result of my questions because this is a New Year.

Gracias!

Another rant... You want a civil discourse yet your approach to the question is mischievous.

You want answer to question 1, yet you call it "so-called" lake?

You want answer to question 2, meanwhile you already identified us as wanting to kill ourselves for oil found in Kogi...

I did not bother highlighting other irrelevant parts of your post, you and I know it adds nothing to what the OP posted..

Who is deceiving who... I'd prefer you keep your questions to yourself than make a mockery of your newly found knowledge.

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Bode2: 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2015
lacasera14:
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
I feel for the igbos.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ladybluecash(f): 5:51pm On Jan 05, 2015
Anywhr u see me call me ONYE IBO... Anywhr u go we dey dia Chaiiii igbo amaka... I waka i neva see beautiful ppl oo oo oo igbo amaka abum onye igbo

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Mrbigman1(m): 5:52pm On Jan 05, 2015
Lucky77:

You have already displayed it, what else are you asking for.
You see what confusion have done to your brain for been too much a JonaTANanian.

No talk too much biko, buhari dey school now.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
Igbos chincha miwoyo lipsrsealed
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Aldrickay: 5:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
lacasera14:
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY

Wooooow so you are ikwerre. I neva tot i could meet my broda here in on Nairaland. Are u on whatsapp? Send me ur digits. Tnx.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Lilamartedi(f): 5:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Port Harcourt now part of Igbo land?.....smh

When you constantly feed your children with lies they are bound to make the same mistake that killed you.
You! angry
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by pastorgodswillm(m): 5:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
lacasera14:
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY

Bros stop fighting now

JUST TELL US YOUR NAME AND LET US FIND THE ORIGIN AND MEANING OF YOUR NAME AND WHICH LANGUAGE IT CAME FROM. BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE MEANING OF IKWERE IN YOUR LANGUAGE WHICH LANGUAGE IS IKWERE NAMED WITH OR WHAT IS ORIGIN OF IKWERE TRIBE. IF YOU CAN ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS SUCCESSFULLY, WE WON'T FIGHT.

SECONDLY, YOU THAT IKWERE PEOPLE WERE ONCE IBOS BUT HAVE GAINED INDEPENDENCE. SO THEREFORE YOU ARE NOLONGER AN IBO. That's like a son who says his father is no longer his father and still answers his father's name every where he goes

If IKWERE people are truly not IGBOS then they should stop answering ibo name and further morE they should change their language from IGBO.

THE TRUTH IS YOU CAN'T CHOSE YOUR ORIGIN JUST AS YOU WiLL CHOSE A WIFE OR HUSBAND NEITHER CAN YOU CHOSE YOUR LANGAUGE. GOD CREATE US, CHOSE WHO WE WILL BE, WHERE WE WILL COME FROM AND WHAT LANGUAGE WE WILL SPEAK. We can do nothing about it. IKWERE PEOPLE ARE IGBOS #TALKWITHFACTS#

8 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 05, 2015
fr3do:

Where is the G angry
e lost grin , U put am na tongue
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Hero10001: 5:59pm On Jan 05, 2015
1. The last question summed it up..
..what a disgrace.

2. Igbo from South Niger?!
Small time now some Igbos will claim they own South-South. (Tompolo dey await una)
Later, others will claim North Nigeria is a no man's land. (Shekau go kiss una yellow asses.)
Lie lie writer from the village square.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by WORLDPEACE(m): 6:00pm On Jan 05, 2015
muafrika:
As a bantu, am fascinated by Igbos who I believe are close relatives of our huge population. Now after readingthis informative article, I can draw even more similarities. For example, their love for peacefull existence(This is true upon the observation of the map of Africa, where wars and conflicts gradually reduce as one moves South and into greater concetration of Bantu communities), the physical features and the unique way of relating with strangers and accomodating even whole non-bantu communities that on several instances, took advantage of it to subdue them as with the Hutu/Tutsi Kingdom. Its however disappointing to discover that Igbos know very little about Bantu origins and their migration from the West of Africa.
Nigerians generally don't know African history. The military during their era systematically killed the study of history. ninety percent of readers who saw your post will wonder what gibberish you are saying.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Jocdon(m): 6:02pm On Jan 05, 2015
Make knowledge your FRIEND.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by kellystech(m): 6:04pm On Jan 05, 2015
Aldrickay:
This is to tell u how nigerians and oda parts of the world hate the igbos.
You pple are nt good pple and u know it.

Take Note: der are no igbos in rivers state if u dnt know.

I am an ikwerre man. In rivers state the ogbas,ekpeye and etche u call igbos are nt igbos.

Ikwerre people organisation (also know as Ogbakor ikwerre) was established before "igbo people organisation" (Also known as Ohaeze Ndi"igbo) if you dnt know.

If ikwerres were igbos anwers dese few questns.
1. Why did the ikwerres refuse to giv u igbos ur property wen u pple returned bak to port harcourt after d biafra war.
2. Why was Ikwerre people organisation (ogbakor ikwerre) established b4 igbo peoples organisation?
3. If ikwerre was igbos why is our tradittion diff frm d igbo tradition?
4. In ikwerre we call the igbos "osoma" meaning Labourers, why so, igbos ans dis.
5. If ikwerres are igbo we do sum ikwerre dnt sell land nd dnt get married to the igbos.

Mr writter u ar stupid for rewriting my history, and God will purnish u 4 dat.

We ikwerre hv neva nd cn neva b igbo.

Port harcourt is Ikwerre land and not IGBO. Read d full history of ikwerre here: http://iwhnurohna..com/2012/11/a-brief-history-of-ikwerre.html
meka si wene

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by ElekeNtioba: 6:07pm On Jan 05, 2015
Chiwude:

Question: Why do some Ikwerre people say they are not Igbo?

Answer: First, it is not up to them to say what they are and what they are not. When God created them, He did not ask them who they wanted to be. He just created them Igbo. The only way you'll know who belongs to what ethnic group in Nigeria is the name and what language the name comes from. Anybody whose name is Amadi or Onyeri, or Eke, or Odili, Wanodi (Nwanodi) does not need to tell you who he is. He is Igbo, his politics notwithstanding.

Question: But they claim that their language is Ikwerre, not Igbo.

Answer: That is politics. Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo language. Just like an Ngwa man speaks Ngwa Igbo, Arochukwu speaks Arochukwu Igbo, etc.

I'm of the opinion that the Ikwerre ARE NOT Igbos.

Of course, i dont have any physical or material evidence to point to.

But looking at the history of relations between them and considering how aggressive Igbo expansion is, its safe to say dat d ikwerre were originally a non-Igbo speaking tribe assimilated through trade, interaction and inter-marriage.

Secondly, d nature of the Ikwerre is very distinct from Igbos. They lack initiative, industry, are spineless, and downright lazy. Which explains why the Igbos assimilated them with ease leaving no record whatsoever of their original language.

The reason why they chose to separate themselves is because they are still bitter over the loss of their original identity. Deep down they know they are nothing like d Igbos and are afraid of Igbo dominating them.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.