Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,767 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:36 PM

The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? (1409 Views)

#1000 To #45000 Win, It Was Massive Yesterday / Pictures From NPFL Holy Ghost Derby. / TB Joshua: Eagles Will Win On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 11:35am On Nov 01, 2014
Manchester Derby features two teams with
opposite levels of confidence
October 31, 2014 12:25:56 PM PDT
By Miguel Delaney

It's the kind of detail that specifically shows why derbies can be different, why the edge in the stands can be transferred to the pitch. As Ryan Giggs presented Louis van Gaal with analysis of Manchester City this week, the United manager sensed a slight change in his assistant. "I felt more tension with him," Van Gaal explained. "That was good to see. He has transferred the idea of emotion and I have transferred the idea of how we have to play."

The United boss is clearly confident, and feeling like things are coming together. That could be influential at the Etihad. Issues of psychology like that can sometimes be
overplayed in football but, ahead of Sunday's
Manchester derby, it's hard not to think it will be one of the main factors -- at least in the build-up.

Consider, on the other side, Manchester City.
Pellegrini's mood has clearly been affected by his team's form, to the point that his surliness is so markedly different from the sophisticated figure so often portrayed last season. He is feeling the pressure. It is not just raining for City right now. It feels like the levy is in danger of breaking. Their defence, certainly, is already very fragile. It is totally undependable, as Sam Allardyce all too gleefully pointed out following West Ham United's
2-1 win last week. In front of that backline, Yaya Toure is totally off form, while David Silva is now out for a month. Given that the Spanish attacker is one of the only City players performing anywhere close to his best
right now, his injury was at the worst possible
point, particularly when you consider the context of their current form. A return of just four wins from their last 12 games -- and only six from 14 in all competitions -- is their worst since late 2009. It's worth noting that was a point before they'd ended a long trophy drought, before they knew how to properly win.

Now, as City also fret about getting through to the Champions League last 16, that very winning mentality is being questioned anew. They are being pushed to the edge, stripped to the baseline. That in itself could be revealing, and potentially telling. Because, even last season, it was difficult to tell
where that baseline was. City never sank to the point where they needed to really dig in. They never had the kind of deep crisis that demanded these shows of character. They got to the title by soaring there, with football to be revered alongside the most supreme ever seen in England. The feeling was that, although City's best was better than everyone else's, and they were more capable of regularly reaching it, their worst performance level could sink lower than Chelsea's worst due to the absence of that deeper durability.
It is telling that was no real decisive or defining moment for them in the title race last season. They all came elsewhere, at Anfield and Selhurst Park, as it was Liverpool who let them back in. It's also possible that it is one reason why this team have so far seemed to struggle in defending their title, just like in 2012-13. Johan Cruyff once summed up the eternal problem that all champions are presented with in this regard:
"Experience told me that, after success,
unconsciously, there's a lack of concentration. You want to blame the players, but at the same time you can't really blame them because it's a human reaction."

The problem is exacerbated because City have
never needed to develop the necessary resilience to otherwise get by. Their football has generally been enough, but is now looking lacking. The recent stat about City's dismal inability to win games after going behind is case in point. It is as if, when the team are on it they are unstoppable but, when they are off it, they don't have all that much to fall back on. Pellegrini made a small admission as
regards this after the midweek League Cup defeat to Newcastle United. "Maybe it's all linked with the lack of trust."

On the other side of the derby, it is precisely
moments like Van Persie's injury-time equaliser
against Chelsea last week that builds trust. It felt like the kind of moment that has been missing from Manchester United for some time. That's because it has. It was the first goal of consequence they'd scored after a 90th minute since the 4-3 victory over Newcastle United on Dec. 26, 2012. It's little wonder, then, that some have got a little
carried away after the goal, that there's suddenly talk of United "on a roll". They're still eighth in the table and without a win in three games.

At the same, it isn't completely outlandish or
misplaced to describe Van Persie's goal as
"transformative." Even before the kind of defining moments that decide trophies, teams need the kind of moments that bring them together, that provide that base for belief. That is what this is about.
For the first time in some time, United have that baseline, that reference point. It is the type of strike that fosters belief a philosophy is right, that strengthens conviction results will come if you keep doing the job correctly.
That is the real difference, not the moment itself.

Doubt and hesitation are diminished. Alex Ferguson himself used to often reference the value of such instances. Of course, everything falling into place for one moment does not mean that everything is immediately fixed.
United still have issues throughout the structures of their team, and real deficiencies in defence. Those problems are going to take hard work and likely signings to resolve. They could well be found wanting this weekend. They now just have that greater level of trust to compensate, something to fall back on.

It may be the kind of moment City are themselves missing. Pointedly, Pellegrini claimed this week that last season's corresponding fixture -- when his team
beat United 4-1 -- offered something like it.
"The game we played here at the Etihad was in a moment when I was new here, when maybe there were a lot of doubts about the results that we were taking, but I didn't change in my mind in the way we had to play against every team." City just need to change their mood. United need to build on theirs.

Source: m.espn.go.com/soccer/blogs/blogpost?w=1ejfi&i=TOP&id=2120111&topslot=1&wjb=

------------
Who do you think is going to win the first Manchester derby of 2014/2015 season. My bet is on Manchester United to win 3-1. Any spoilers?
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Koko88(m): 11:40am On Nov 01, 2014
Man United all the way!

1 Like

Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Eggcelent(m): 11:47am On Nov 01, 2014
A Big Win For City. Definitely.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 11:50am On Nov 01, 2014
Eggcelent:
A Big Win For City. Definitely.
Even with City missing Silva through injury? Also remember that United are begging to gel.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by khattab02: 12:26pm On Nov 01, 2014
Gorgeous58:

Even with City missing Silva through injury? Also remember that United are begging to gel.
yeah and they did have a good game against chelsea
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by khattab02: 12:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
Let the best team win. But unfortunately both are struggling and anything shot of a win for both side won't do them any good, unfortunately both can't win.

United looked to be the better team heading in to this encounter being that they have drew their two games and played better against chelsea. While city have lost the last two games surprisely to westham and newcastle. No doubt city are a strong side and can be very dangerous when attacking.

Verdict; it is a 50-50 chance for both sides.

1 Like

Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Eggcelent(m): 12:55pm On Nov 01, 2014
Your form before coming into a derby doesn't count on the day. The 2 teams are devastating going forward. However, City are stronger defensively. I expect them to pick United off at the back. City are at home and they have a lot to prove. Silva's absence will be a big miss; no doubt. However, Nasri is back & will compensate. Finally, United have struggled against all the teams who have attacked them this season; Leicester, West Brom, etc. There is hardly any better attacking team in the EPL today than City. United are bound to struggle.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Pes13: 1:13pm On Nov 01, 2014
I want dem 2 draw.

A draw will increase d gap btw mancity and chelsea.

And if dere is a win, dat should be 4 Man united.

1 Like

Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
Eggcelent:
Your form before coming into a derby doesn't count on the day. The 2 teams are devastating going forward. However, City are stronger defensively. I expect them to pick United off at the back. City are at home and they have a lot to prove. Silva's absence will be a big miss; no doubt. However, Nasri is back & will compensate. Finally, United have struggled against all the teams who have attacked them this season; Leicester, West Brom, etc. There is hardly any better attacking team in the EPL today than City. United are bound to struggle.

Both have defensive concerns but I think United defend better as a team. City's Mangala has been the weak link in their team. Hoping United to exploit that link.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by starlingbawa(m): 1:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
As a Chelsea fan I guess I'd be rooting for Manchester United to come good with the spoils!

That said I think City will go out all guns blazing considering they have lost their last 2 games.

It promises to be an exciting game on sunday afternoon.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Eggcelent(m): 1:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
Gorgeous58. I'm impressed seeing a lady who knows her football this well. As to your point; it is valid. Mangala, as I suspected he would, has been struggling. Consequent on this, I don't Pellegrini using him tomorrow. Even at that, I still believe that City will win comfortably. And that is for one reason; United. this season, have struggled against all the teams that have attacked them. They will equally struggle against City, who arguably have the best attack in the EPL.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 2:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
Eggcelent:
Gorgeous58. I'm impressed seeing a lady who knows her football this well. As to your point; it is valid. Mangala, as I suspected he would, has been struggling. Consequent on this, I don't Pellegrini using him tomorrow. Even at that, I still believe that City will win comfortably. And that is for one reason; United. this season, have struggled against all the teams that have attacked them. They will equally struggle against City, who arguably have the best attack in the EPL.

True talk! Great analysis... Fingers crossed. Can't wait for tomorrow.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 2:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
starlingbawa:
As a Chelsea fan I guess I'd be rooting for Manchester United to come good with the spoils!

That said I think City will go out all guns blazing considering they have lost their last 2 games.

It promises to be an exciting game on sunday afternoon.

I know Chelsea fans would want United to win but I don't see Chelsea keeping their unbeaten run for long.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by starlingbawa(m): 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2014
Gorgeous58:

I know Chelsea fans would want United to win but I don't see Chelsea keeping their unbeaten run for long.

As a Chelsea fan I have my doubts too. It's only natural that we get to lose at some point but then let's try to avoid losing for as long as possible.

We'll see...
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Truth24(m): 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
Its a must win for United ooo
#Diehard

1 Like

Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
What time is kick-off?
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
Vessi:
What time is kick-off?

1:30pm. Meant to type 2:30pm
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by lovemaths(f): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2014
City will win it. Kick-off time is 2:30p.m. Without Silva, we'll use Nasri. Mangala might come in as a substitute. Demichelis and Kompany will do well in the centre back. It's also the battle of the Argentines. Aguero vs Rojo (enemies). Di Maria vs Demichelis and Zabaleta (friends). Demichelis is eager to face his former boss at Van Gaal.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by makkitush: 12:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
Eggcelent:
"MANURE ARE STRONG GOING FORWARD". LOOOOLLL!
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by makkitush: 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
Gorgeous58:

who told u that we want the unbeaten record. Noooo, we want the league, Simple. Nd as for today's game,i'm going for a draw or city win cos if manure wins today,we no go hear for una. nd it will also boast their confidence. So, i don't want it.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by jnrbayano(m): 12:43pm On Nov 02, 2014
Sing when you a winning!

Glory Glory Manchester United.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by jnrbayano(m): 12:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
Typing...
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 1:01pm On Nov 02, 2014
makkitush:
who told u that we want the unbeaten record. Noooo, we want the league, Simple. Nd as for today's game,i'm going for a draw or city win cos if manure wins today,we no go hear for una. nd it will also boast their confidence. So, i don't want it.

Bros relax. Everybody knows that Chelsea fans are the noise makers. As for Man united, we are winning today!
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by makkitush: 1:09pm On Nov 02, 2014
Gorgeous58:

Bros relax. Everybody knows that Chelsea fans are the noise makers. As for Man united, we are winning today!
if we are really noisemakers,then why did our thread yesterday produced only 7 pages. I know if it is manure, it will be up to 30 pages. By the way, i don book u oo. See ya after the match.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Gorgeous58(f): 4:40pm On Nov 02, 2014
Man united played their best game in the final 15 minutes but unluckily lost.
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by dicksj93: 12:25am On Nov 04, 2014
Yes...d lost just as I expected. ...man u is just being overhyped..more individuals no team
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by Koko88(m): 6:43am On Nov 07, 2014
dicksj93:
Yes...d lost just as I expected. ...man u is just being overhyped..more individuals no team

they will get there soon... Still United!
Re: The Manchester Derby; Who Will Win It? by dicksj93: 9:21am On Nov 07, 2014
Koko88:

they will get there soon... Still United!
yea ur ryt,SOON! as soon as liverpool ryt?

(1) (Reply)

Best And Accurate Soccer Prediction Pc App / The Fraud Called 1960bet.com / Akin Alabi: Do Something About Your Site Nairabet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.