Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? (4235 Views)

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! / List Of All Radio Stations In Lagos / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by Seun(m): 7:21pm On Sep 25, 2005
Hello,

I was just wondering if radio stations like Cool FM and Ray Power have to pay to be able to plays the songs of our various local artists like 2Face Idibia, Styl Plus, and the numerous upcoming artists who need promotion.

Do the local radio stations get to play the songs for free in exchange for the promotion the song and artiste will get (which translates to greater CD sales and jam-packed concerts) or if they have to pay. If they have to pay for the rights to each song they play on air, who exactly do they have to pay to?

Thanks,
Seun.
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by layi(m): 3:25pm On Sep 26, 2005
Sadly, Its the other way round. embarassed

Artists actually pay DJs for "spins" ie radio airplay(rotation).

The only way round this is to make a very HOT track.... You'll need to bribe/pay 1 DJ for people to hear your song at all...and get people requesting for it. The other radio DJs then have no choice but to "beg" you for a promo CD (because their listeners are always askin for it).

The tables get turned automatically if you are the hottest artist in town. DJs actually call u to know if you've got another nice one so they'll be the first to play it wink.
Same for TV video promotions

Tuface, Weird Mc, PSquare are being paid for the videos by MTVBase. 300$ per rotation. Those videos are HOT (especially PSquare and soon-to-be-aired streetMonks).
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by obong(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2005
Is there anywhere in the world that radio stations pay musicians to play their music? I think general musicians fight to get their music on air, and many times its for free. Thats why radios need adverts to make a profit
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by Seun(m): 6:42pm On Sep 26, 2005
Radio Nairaland, here we come! grin
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 26, 2005
in an ideal system yes radio station do play artist for playing their songs on air. but the Nigerian music indutsry is disorganised so it's not really the case. artist here just have to settle with radio station's giving them their publicity and then making their own money through performing at shows and selling their CDs.

Hold on, I think Charly Boy did actually collect royalties for artist from radio stations some time back. but it was for a few PMAN artists i think. Also, one of these brewery companies some weeks back did actually pay artist for using their songs in jingles which were played on TV and radio.

Coming to myself, I'm still waiting for rebornradio and ultimatenaija radio to pay me for slaming my songs on air grin. Anyhow sha it's all good. Let's see how it goes.
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by angelak(f): 4:40pm On Sep 27, 2005
Radio nairaland?
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by kaydee(m): 9:26pm On Jun 05, 2007
Me i nor know if them they pay them for other places oh! for Naija,Na lie oh!
Re: Do Nigerian Radio Stations Pay Musicians to Play Their Music? by Sico: 9:32am On Jun 08, 2007
I know Reborn Radio & Tru Spot! Radio Pays it's artists for their songs, cos they talk about it all the time. Does are the best for me right now.

(1) (Reply)

2pac Or Michael Jackson: Who Would You Want Back Alive? / DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Demarco-no Wahala Ft Akon & Runtown / How Can I Download Xproject Song Or Lyrics Title Ayemi Ti Ju Tele Lo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.