Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,863 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria (6840 Views)

Information On A Schlumberger Career Choice / Address Of Nigerian Society For Microbiology / Vacancies For Microbiology Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
Hi NLanders, please help a sister choose between these two courses. Considering the Nigeria labour market...which of them is the better choice? Can a MCBiologist be self employed? Thanks for your advice in advance.
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 2:36pm On Nov 01, 2014
blesseenE:
Hi NLanders, please help a sister choose between these two courses. Considering the Nigeria labour market...which of them is the better choice? Can a MCBiologist be self employed? Thanks for your advice in advance.
nursing it is. Microbiology? No.my opinion though.
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 5:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
Lero15:
nursing it is. Microbiology? No.my opinion though.
thanks.
More inputs please... For the Microbiology (it is Applied Microbiology and Brewing).
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
blesseenE:

thanks.
More inputs please... For the Microbiology (it is Applied Microbiology and Brewing).
the reason why I chose Nursing is because they hardly search for jobs like mcb graduates do. If you really wanna practise ur course of study, go for nursing. Studying MCB might not guarantee you the practise...but you will sure have a chance to apply for most Graduate Trainee openings, especially with a first class or 2-1 grade.

My opinion grin

1 Like

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
Lero15:
the reason why I chose Nursing is because they hardly search for jobs like mcb graduates do. If you really wanna practise ur course of study, go for nursing. Studying MCB might not guarantee you the practise...but you will sure have a chance to apply for most Graduate Trainee openings, especially with a first class or 2-1 grade.

My opinion grin
Well said.... if you want to practise your profession, then go for nursing. ... there are just few jobs for Microbiologists except you just want to get a degree, then apply for jobs that are not discipline specific. ..

1 Like

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2014
MarvellousGod:
Well said.... if you want to practise your profession, then go for nursing. ... there are just few jobs for Microbiologists except you just want to get a degree, then apply for jobs that are not discipline specific. ..

thanks Marv
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
MarvellousGod:
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
MarvellousGod:
our opinions... grin

1 Like

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
In my own opinion, nursing is the best choice. Nursing is a professional course. To reach that level she wants quickly, it has to be B.Sc Nursing. That is she ll by-pass the normal nursing school and spend just 5 years in the university.

Nurses are now receiving nice and fat salary.

On the other hand, microbiology is also a professional course. But it has lots of competitors like the Biochemistry etc
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 9:54pm On Nov 01, 2014
temigracie:
In my own opinion, nursing is the best choice. Nursing is a professional course. To reach that level she wants quickly, it has to be B.Sc Nursing. That is she ll by-pass the normal nursing school and spend just 5 years in the university.

On the other hand, microbiology is also a professional course. But it has lots of competitors like the Biochemistry etc
I, Lero15, officially welcome you to the Job/vacancy section. Have a great perusal cheesy grin
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Lero15:
I, Lero15, officially welcome you to the Job/vacancy section. Have a great perusal cheesy grin

Thanks a lot, sir

1 Like

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 7:47am On Nov 02, 2014
temigracie:

thanks dear
where are the Microbiologists, let me hear 4rm u guys pls
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 02, 2014
blesseenE:

thanks dear
where are the Microbiologists, let me hear 4rm u guys pls

It's a no-brainer really, but let me elucidate a little.

Not to sound condescending, but apart from the fact that there aren't so many opportunities for Microbiologists here in Nigeria, the course in itself isn't as pragmatic, distinctive & prestigious as Nursing. You have ample opportunities as a Nurse, be you self-employed or not. They work in shifts — you'll have lots of time in your hands, at least. Grades barely count here.

On the other hand, if you wanna end up being a lab scientist, you love competition, or you love teaching, then opt for Microbiology. You just wanna get the degree and not practise, then compete with other graduates for the very few job openings? Na there you go know sey AC no be fan.

Lemme know when you eventually make up your mind; I intend marrying a Nurse myself grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Mintayo(m): 2:37pm On Nov 02, 2014
blesseenE:

thanks.
I am a Microbiologist,I will tell you to go for Nursing!

1 Like

Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 3:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
coolbibz:

It's a no-brainer really, but let me elucidate a little.

Not to sound condescending, but apart from the fact that there aren't so many opportunities for Microbiologists here in Nigeria, the course in itself isn't as pragmatic, distinctive & prestigious as Nursing. You have ample opportunities as a Nurse, be you self-employed or not. They work in shifts — you'll have lots of time in your hands, at least. Grades barely count here.

On the other hand, if you wanna end up being a lab scientist, you love competition, or you love teaching, then opt for Microbiology. You just wanna get the degree and not practise, then compete with other graduates for the very few job openings? Na there you go know sey AC no be fan.

Lemme know when you eventually make up your mind; I intend marrying a Nurse myself grin

tanx. God grant u ur heart desire...
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 3:58pm On Nov 02, 2014
Mintayo:

I am a Microbiologist,I will tell you to go for Nursing!
ok. Tanx
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Mintayo(m): 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2014
blesseenE:

ok. Tanx
Microbiology is a fine course, you can work anywhere,ranging from pharmaceutical company to food industries,basically all FMCG. Hospitals and laboratories,depending on the area of MCB you want to practice. But you have others in d same field, and also biochemistry, industrial chemistry and so on to contend with, so you have to be really good in what you do.
But Nursing is strictly for hospitals, there is always one hospital that will employ you no matter what.
Wish you the best!
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by Ikegift4real(m): 4:19pm On Nov 02, 2014
Am a microbiologist and I would advice you to go for nursing. medical lab association of Nigeria has made it a law that only mdl graduates will work and serve in general and teaching hospitals so we r left to scuff around.
Re: Career Choice : Microbiology Vs Nursing In Nigeria by blesseenE: 10:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Ikegift4real:
Am a microbiologist and I would advice you to go for nursing. medical lab association of Nigeria has made it a law that only mdl graduates will work and serve in general and teaching hospitals so we r left to scuff around.
ok. Tanx

(1) (Reply)

Npower Commences Payment Of October Stipends / DROP IT / Telinno Consulting Limited Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.