Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Elliot Holds Session With Youths, Urges Them To Register - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elliot Holds Session With Youths, Urges Them To Register (557 Views)

Industrial Court Holds Session For Ocholi / Buhari Congratulates Muslims On Ramadan , Urges Them To Promote Love And Peace / Desmond Elliot Celebrates Election Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Elliot Holds Session With Youths, Urges Them To Register by tolulope407: 4:52am On Nov 05, 2014
POPULAR Nollywood actor and director-turned politician, Desmond Olusola Elliot, has declared his intention to run for public office in the upcoming 2015 elections.

He is going for a seat in House of Representatives under Surulere constituency one of Lagos State.

Knowing that he represents a very important demographic group in the society, he had an interactive session with the Surulere youths last Sunday.

With the theme, Today’s Youth, Today’s Leaders; Our Tomorow is Today, the session was organised to give the general public an opportunity to say what they expect from his possible representation of the constituency.

The youths complained about past and present political office holders’ non-fulfillment of promises and lack of programmes that benefit them (youths) directly.

Assuring them of his commitment, Elliot, who already has agenda that he is working on, said he believes in the manifesto of the APC.

“That is why the youth leaders of Surulere constituency and myself organised this forum, to encourage youths to register and vote during the elections and also share the ideals of the party with them and what the party wants,” he said.

“I already have MoUs with companies and schools for the youths. I want to get most youths off the streets; so, I will get them admission, and some will be receiving their admission letters soon.

“I believe 80 per cent of the youths should have access to tertiary education and still earn a living. We are already giving 20 people in my community admitted into the Open University.

“The idea is to get a lot of youths off the streets. Those who don’t want to study can go and learn skills. We are also working towards sorting issues with micro-finance firms on how to give out loans.”

Confronted with the fact that the older generations have no confidence in the youths of today, arguing that they would be more corrupt, Elliot retorted, “How many youths have been given the chance and opportunity to make an impact in the society?

“Very few or none,” he said, adding that, “we are not saying that our leaders are not right, but we are focused on catering for the welfare of the youths.

“That’s why the APC is saying that we are not only going to take care of you as youths, but also offer social welfare, which has never happened in this country before.

“As a policy under the APC, 25 million unemployed people are guaranteed N5,000 every month. What it means is that if you are giving N5,000 to 25 million people, they will be forced to create jobs.

“There are also plans to build and allocate one million low cost houses across the country within a span of four years. These are not low cost houses that the big men come to buy.

“This is the change we need and if they don’t do it in four years, they’ll answer to it.”

He added, “we also have plans for the elderly ones with an insurance scheme.”

The actor, who graduated from Lagos State University (LASU), said the biggest voting populace is the youth, stressing, “and you can only do this if you register. We have been voting for them; this is the time for us to vote for ourselves.”

Senator Solomon Ganiyu, who was present at the event, lauded the gathering, saying, “This is the type of forum that we should have in all states. I hope others will take a cue.

“It is your right to register for any political party of your choice; the Constitution guarantees freedom of association.

“It is your right to register and vote as long as you are 18 years and above. If you were not concerned before or if you just relocated from one state to Lagos, make sure you register.”

Solomon encouraged the youths that they should get involved. “Don’t shy away from politics saying it is dirty; it is not. If it were, why do politicians keep asking for your votes and don’t ever want to leave office?”

The gathering attracted celebrities, and featured live performances, comedy, music, as well as motivational speaking, all geared towards preparing the youths for participation in the affairs of Nigeria in 2015.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN NEWS
Re: Elliot Holds Session With Youths, Urges Them To Register by edo3(m): 5:28am On Nov 05, 2014
Is he relateted to missy elliot? Cos dt name sounds strange...omo ale jati jati.. Omode gbagbe ile o so apo iya ko..
Re: Elliot Holds Session With Youths, Urges Them To Register by eyeview: 5:42am On Nov 05, 2014
The guy is only going there for the money,he doesn't have the interest of anybody at heart. How do I know? Ask yorself,what has he done before now to better the lots of his people. A man whom they didn't even know was a lagosian all these years(to show you all how alienated he was from his own state).

(1) (Reply)

Akpabio Vs Fashola: Which Has Perform Better? / Catalonia Vote: 80% Back Independence - Officials / Live On Ait: 6th Anniversary Of Governor Oshiomole's Administration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.