Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,417 members, 7,853,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 04:37 AM

Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility (1074 Views)

We Found $1m In Badeh’s N1.1bn House – EFCC / Badeh, Metuh Sit Beside Each Other In Court (photos) / Alex Badeh House In Abuja Seized By The EFCC - Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by Adesiji77: 8:04am On Nov 05, 2014
e Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, on Tuesday accepted
full responsibility for the recent setback recorded by the Nigerian military in the North-east while fighting Boko Haram insurgents.

Badeh spoke with State House correspondents after he made a brief appearance at the Council of State meeting in company of his service chiefs.

He noted that it was immaterial for now if his village or any other town in the country was under the control of Boko Haram insurgents, saying he accepted full responsibility for the military lapses.

On whether or not Nigeria was helpless in the face of Boko Haram hostility, Badeh said: “How can Nigeria be helpless? That is unfair. If the CDS loses his hometown, it is the same thing as losing Lagos.

“Any part of Nigeria that is lost, the CDS carries the weight.

“It is immaterial whether it is my hometown, whether it is my house that was burnt or it was Emeka’s house that was burnt.

“Whoever’s house was burnt in Nigeria, the CDS is pained.”

The council, which met for over four hours, also deliberated on discrimination across the country, as well as the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).

Meanwhile, the Police Council yesterday confirmed the acting Inspector General of Police (IG), Suleiman Abba, as the new substantive IG.

The confirmation was made at its meeting at the Presidential Villa.

Briefing journalists on the outcome of Council of State meeting, Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State said the council was briefed of the success recorded by Nigeria in curtailing EVD, as well as the issue of indigeneship which had triggered discrimination across the country.

Also briefing journalists alongside his Akwa Ibom and Kogi State counterparts, Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, said after reviewing Abba's curriculum vitae, his level of competence by those who had worked with him at one time or the other, the council unanimously agreed that the acting IG be confirmed as a substantive IG.

He said council, accordingly, advised Jonathan who accepted the advice and appointed Abba as the substantive IG.

According to Oshiomhole, the council recognised that the police alone cannot secure lives and property without the cooperation and collaboration of every Nigerian and agreed that the governors should do whatever they could to assist the federal government in providing resources for the force.

"We also agreed to do whatever we can to support the police to provide some resources to complement federal government's effort to see that the police have all that they need to ensure effective policing of the Nigeria state, so that it can guarantee and ensure protection of lives and property.

"Moreso that we are approaching elections and naturally this is the peak of political activities and there are security issues that are associated with politicking and electioneering and we all agreed that everything must be done to ensure that this season everybody played according to the rules and that the police do its job dispassionately so that Nigerians can look forward to the elections without fear.

"On the whole, it was a good meeting and people expressed confidence that under the new IG the police will go through radical reform and become a far more competent police force that Nigerians can trust and respect," the governor said.

On the recent call by the his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), for the sack of the IG, Oshiomhole said: "Well, I think the issue is not about the person of Abba. I think the issue you are referring to is the decision of the IG to withdraw the security details of the Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives. Hon. Aminu Tambuwal.

"I'm not aware before then that anybody had issues, it is the decision of police which shocked many of us, myself inclusive that has led to those sentiments. But incidentally, this issue was not discussed at council because as the president advised, the matter is in court so the council could not discuss it.

"I'm clear that the IG must see Nigeria for what it is, it is a multi-party democracy, he must act according to the police law not according to the police convenience, these are my personal views. And the fact that he has been confirmed doesn't mean if he doesn't play according to the rules I have not forfeited my right to revise my position."

Reacting to his confirmation, Abba said: "I must tell you this is a happy moment but is also a moment of sober reflection. Reflection on the responsibilities, on expectations, certainly I have to work hard to ensure that I meet up with the expectations of the office.

"Truly, Nigerians and in fact all the people in Nigeria deserve the best from us so that we make the environment safer and secured. I assure you having reflected on all these we will ensure that we manage all the resources in the charge of the Nigerian police, to ensure they are used judiciously for the safety and security of Nigeria."

On the heavy criticism that trailed the withdrawal of the police aides of the Speaker and his alleged partisanship, Abba said: "Well, that is a matter before the court and is subjudice for me to comment on it. I wouldn't want to have any problem with the judiciary."

On whether is concerned that the matter is heating up the polity, he said: "Well, it is still a matter before the court and I think whatever consequences it has on the polity we have to wait for the out come."
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tambuwal, was absent at the Council of State meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan.

Tambuwal had announced his defection last week from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the APC. All the APC governors were also absent at the meeting which it started at about 11:35a.m.
Also absent at the meeting were former ex- military Heads of State, Muhammadu Buhari, Ibrahim Babangida and Abdusalami Abubakar.

However, in attendance were four former leaders including Generals Yakubu Gowon, and Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Shehu Shagari and Head of Interim National Government (ING), Chief Ernest Shonekan.

The governors present included Oshiomhole, Akpabio, Sule Lamido (Jigawa), Ayo Fayose (Ekiti), Martin Elechi (Ebonyi), Sullivan Chime (Enugu), Emmanuel Uduaghan (Delta), Theodore Orji (Abia), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Ramalan Yero (Kaduna), Idris Wada (Kogi), Liyel Imoke (Cross River), Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo)

Also present were Senate President, Senator David Mark, Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Bello Adoke; Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Bala Mohammed and National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd).

Former Chief Justices of Nigeria (CJN) Mohammed Lawal Uwais and Idris Legbo Kitigi were at the meeting.

Vice-President Namadi Sambo and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Anyim Pius Anyim and Chief of Staff to the President, Jones Arogbofa, were also present, as well as the service chiefs.

ThisDay
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by Pangea: 8:12am On Nov 05, 2014
We are in trouble in this country!

The buffoon should do the needful and kindly resign!
Mtsheew

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by seankafor(m): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2014
Pangea:
We are in trouble in this country!

The buffoon should do the needful and kindly resign!
Mtsheew
accepting responsibility is a mark of a good leader.he should not dwel on his failure rather rise up to his responsiblities.my granny told us not to let our enemies kill us first.
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by experimentist: 8:34am On Nov 05, 2014
JonadafTAN should also accept his failure and pull out of the 2015 race.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 05, 2014
If I were the chief of defence staff, I will take to the battle ground myself. This latest seizesure of his hometown by the islamic sect is an affront on him and the entire armed forces. I would rather die fighting right there on the battle ground than be a coward an remain at Abuja dinning with politicians and have his name eroded like pack of cards in the anals of history.

He'll be a disgrace if he allows the seemingly brave Shekau to take over his hometown without a reprisal fight from the Chief of defence staff himself.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by fitzmayowa: 8:57am On Nov 05, 2014
experimentist:
JonadafTAN should also accept his failure and pull out of the 2015 race.

This is best comment you can come up with
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by fitzmayowa: 8:58am On Nov 05, 2014
seankafor:
accepting responsibility is a mark of a good leader.he should not dwel on his failure rather rise up to his responsiblities.my granny told us not to let our enemies kill us first.

Accepting responsibility and not taking action/s makes you useless and unfit for the post...
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by fitzmayowa: 8:59am On Nov 05, 2014
oscarforreal:
If I were the chief of defence staff, I will take to the battle ground myself. This latest seizesure of his hometown by the islamic sect is an affront on him and the entire armed forces. I would rather die fighting right there on the battle ground than be a coward an remain at Abuja dinning with politicians and have his name eroded like pack of cards in the anals of history.

He'll be a disgrace if he allows the seemingly brave Shekau to take over his hometown without a reprisal fight from the Chief of defence staff himself.

LMAO grin

When there is another 1billion dollar on its way to be embezzled...
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 05, 2014
fitzmayowa:

LMAO grin

When there is another 1billion dollar on its way to be embezzled...

If that is the case shekau in company of his blood-thirsty co-hurts will have field day right there at Mubi. Maybe another horrific video scene of the CDS family members right under under the captivity of Shekau will propel the Chief of Defence Staff to gallantly match to the battle ground. This is becoming a replica of a nollywood scene and Nigerian spectators can only but keep their fingers crossed as event unfold itself.
Re: Boko Haram: Badeh Accepts Responsibility by PedroJP(m): 10:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
I don tire for Naija. CDS de lag behind when lives are concerned.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking **** Udom Emmanuel Wins Akwa Ibom PDP Governorship Primaries / Kaduna State. Who Do We Vote For? / APC Is Using Public Opinion To Select VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.