Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) (4742 Views)

is Breastfeeding sexually arousing ? / Bride Breastfeeding Her Child On Wedding Day (pics) / Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2014
Jacci Sharkey juggled motherhood and schoolwork for most of her three and a half years at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) in Queensland, Australia. So the 24-year-old mother of two thought it only fitting to thank the university for supporting her and her family (who sometimes even went to lectures with her) by sharing a photo in which she was breastfeeding her then-6-week-old son Alek in her cap and gown, just before the graduation ceremony.

"I’m extremely proud that with the support of the uni, during my degree I was able to have 2 babies and still finish my degree," Sharkey explained in a note with the Oct. 2 photo. “Thanks USC!”

Now the school can thank her for shining the spotlight on them. Since the university posted her photo on Facebook on Nov. 2, it’s gone viral, with 184,000 likes and more than 5,400 shares.

"I thought I’d be really happy if it got 100 likes, and then it’s just gone out of control," the human resources management major, whose other son, Ari, is 20 months old, told Australia’s ABC News. “I never expected it to go crazy!”

Also unexpected was the idea that she had sent it to promote breastfeeding. “It wasn’t a statement [on breastfeeding] or anything like that,” Sharkey insisted. “I would have sent the same picture to the uni had [Alek] had a bottle or a sandwich.”

The thought she wanted to share was “just the fact that I’m a mum, it’s not I’m a breastfeeding mum, just I’m a mum,” she explained. “It was really a message of thanks and that other mums can do it as well.”

Elaborating to the Daily Mail Australia, Sharkey — who currently works as a wedding and events planner — declared, “You don’t have to give up the career to have kids, and you don’t have to give up kids to have the career … you can have it all.”

Nevertheless, the photo has been a boon to breastfeeding proponents. “Breastfeeding moms feel excited about seeing that,” La Leche League’s Diana West tells Yahoo Parenting. “In our world, breastfeeding is not considered acceptable everywhere. It’s changing a lot, but it’s still an adjustment for a lot of people to accept. A picture like this shows that this is normal. And it’s a cool way to show her bringing together her two worlds.”

With all the recent celebrity breastfeeding photo shares on social media, including ones from Alyssa Milano, Jaime King, and Gisele Bündchen, West says she’s not surprised that Sharkey’s went viral. “It’s breasts,” she admits. “They’re always going to be sexualized and get notice, but this image still serves the breastfeeding cause well because the more we talk about it, the more we discuss the issues around it.”

Sharkey says she has gotten some negative feedback about breastfeeding in public — much like Karlesha Thurman, 25, who received a slew of Twitter slams in June after a photo of her breastfeeding her 4-month-old daughter during her graduation from California State University, Long Beach, was posted on social media. But the overwhelming response has been positive.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-mom-graduation-photo-goes-viral-101773551012.html

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2014
For me, this should teach ladies to stop starving their babies in the name of keeping breast shape, and hiding breast, especially in public. Don't even starve him for one second for once men know you have a baby, your breast does little or nothing to most of them. Your baby's health is above all.

4 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by hahn(m): 7:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
ruffhandu:
For me, this should teach ladies to stop starving their babies in the name of keeping breast shape, and hiding breast, especially in public. Don't even starve him for one second for once men know you have a baby, your breast does little or nothing to most of them. Your baby's health is above all.

very true. breast feeding is neccessary though according to my mom, she had to stop breast feeding me because of the way i squeezed her breast grin

Don't blame naija girls, most of them have fallen bobbies with lots of stretch marks and scars from their ex bf. If you had those kind of bobby YOU won't like to expose it.

Abi you nor see as that whitee bobby fresh. Confirm internet material
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 8:11am On Nov 10, 2014
hahn:

very true. breast feeding is neccessary though according to my mom, she had to stop breast feeding me because of the way i squeezed her breast grin

Don't blame naija girls, most of them have fallen bobbies with lots of stretch marks and scars from their ex bf. If you had those kind of bobby YOU won't like to expose it.

Abi you nor see as that whitee bobby fresh. Confirm internet material

You are very funny my guy. Good punishment from your dear mum for wanting to kill the woman. Lol! Though generally, boys a better 'suckers' than female babies. But, weather stretch mark exists, or booby sagged, mother should not starve baby, anywhere. My opinion anyway.

4 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by wimpey(m): 11:54pm On Dec 16, 2014
ruffhandu:
Jacci Sharkey juggled motherhood and schoolwork for most of her three and a half years at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) in Queensland, Australia. So the 24-year-old mother of two thought it only fitting to thank the university for supporting her and her family (who sometimes even went to lectures with her) by sharing a photo in which she was breastfeeding her then-6-week-old son Alek in her cap and gown, just before the graduation ceremony.

"I’m extremely proud that with the support of the uni, during my degree I was able to have 2 babies and still finish my degree," Sharkey explained in a note with the Oct. 2 photo. “Thanks USC!”

Now the school can thank her for shining the spotlight on them. Since the university posted her photo on Facebook on Nov. 2, it’s gone viral, with 184,000 likes and more than 5,400 shares.

"I thought I’d be really happy if it got 100 likes, and then it’s just gone out of control," the human resources management major, whose other son, Ari, is 20 months old, told Australia’s ABC News. “I never expected it to go crazy!”

Also unexpected was the idea that she had sent it to promote breastfeeding. “It wasn’t a statement [on breastfeeding] or anything like that,” Sharkey insisted. “I would have sent the same picture to the uni had [Alek] had a bottle or a sandwich.”

The thought she wanted to share was “just the fact that I’m a mum, it’s not I’m a breastfeeding mum, just I’m a mum,” she explained. “It was really a message of thanks and that other mums can do it as well.”

Elaborating to the Daily Mail Australia, Sharkey — who currently works as a wedding and events planner — declared, “You don’t have to give up the career to have kids, and you don’t have to give up kids to have the career … you can have it all.”

Nevertheless, the photo has been a boon to breastfeeding proponents. “Breastfeeding moms feel excited about seeing that,” La Leche League’s Diana West tells Yahoo Parenting. “In our world, breastfeeding is not considered acceptable everywhere. It’s changing a lot, but it’s still an adjustment for a lot of people to accept. A picture like this shows that this is normal. And it’s a cool way to show her bringing together her two worlds.”

With all the recent celebrity breastfeeding photo shares on social media, including ones from Alyssa Milano, Jaime King, and Gisele Bündchen, West says she’s not surprised that Sharkey’s went viral. “It’s breasts,” she admits. “They’re always going to be sexualized and get notice, but this image still serves the breastfeeding cause well because the more we talk about it, the more we discuss the issues around it.”

Sharkey says she has gotten some negative feedback about breastfeeding in public — much like Karlesha Thurman, 25, who received a slew of Twitter slams in June after a photo of her breastfeeding her 4-month-old daughter during her graduation from California State University, Long Beach, was posted on social media. But the overwhelming response has been positive.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-mom-graduation-photo-goes-viral-101773551012.html

This a beautiful picture of a proud , loving Mother feeding her baby .
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by wimpey(m): 6:27pm On Feb 01, 2015
This is a beautiful picture and you can hardly see any flesh , so I don't know what the problem is .
ruffhandu:

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Kimoni: 6:50pm On Feb 01, 2015
Hitting home!
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by mutter(f): 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2015
When women pose in the nude no one comments, so what is the big deal with this!
I breastfed my kid`s anywhere anytime.
If you no like am commot your eye!

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by wimpey(m): 11:34pm On Feb 01, 2015
This picture of Jacci in Australia is very similar to the one of Karlesha in the USA . They are both wonderful pictures showing women feeding their babies naturally .They both look smart in their gowns , both are in public ( although Jacci was sat down at the side of the ceremony ) , both are clever women who have graduated . Both women are with their babies Fathers ( I think Jacci is married because I can see her Wedding Ring ).

Both women are beautiful ( Jacci has nice legs too ) . One is white and one is black and you can see some of their left bosoms and part of the areolas , but I can think of much more offensive images to get upset about . I am not offended by the sight of a woman bosom feeding and if you are , just look away . Why should they use covers ?
ruffhandu:

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2015
mutter:

It's a big deal for some ladies, they starve their babies; hence my advice below.

ruffhandu:

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2015
what happened to feeding your baby in an isolated place devoid of multiple eyes? You can always find an isolated place, like your car etc... I can't have a picture displaying my bosom fly around like this please..

3 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 02, 2015
The main theme of the story (graduation/reaching goals despite obstacles) had been waylaid by opinions on public breast-feeding loll. I sorta think the prevailing opinion is kinda ironic considering the fact that the word bre.ast is supposedly a bad word tongue

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 02, 2015
ruffhandu:

Not true...
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 02, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
The main theme of the story (graduation/reaching goals despite obstacles) had been waylaid by opinions on public breast-feeding loll.

I sorta think the prevailing opinion is kinda ironic considering the fact that the word bre.ast is a bad word tongue
@first paragraph. . Didn't even read the article, just read comments and followed suit grin cheesy cheesy

So follow suit too by dropping your opinion on public bosom feeding grin
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 02, 2015
MarvellousGod:
@first paragraph. . Didn't even read the article, just read comments and followed suit grin cheesy cheesy

So follow suit too by dropping your opinion on public bosom feeding grin

I think it's rude, personally. Bad etiquette.

However, if I were to see someone breastfeeding publicly, I wouldn't look twice or make it my problem.
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 6:01pm On Feb 02, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

I think it's rude, personally. Bad etiquette.

However, if I were to see someone breastfeeding publicly, I wouldn't look twice or make it my problem.

Those ladies who starve their babies need to hear the bolded.
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 02, 2015
ruffhandu:

Those ladies who starve their babies need to hear the bolded.

Loll. You make it sound like a do or die affair. Like the women who does not feed her child in public is surely an evil, child-starving, sorry-excuse-of-a-mother. You do realize there are alternatives??

I'd say the child should not be 'starving' in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 11:59pm On Feb 02, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Loll. You make it sound like a do or die affair. Like the women who does not feed her child in public is surely an evil, child-starving, sorry-excuse-of-a-mother. You do realize there are alternatives??

I'd say the child should not be 'starving' in the first place.

Yes o! If you have seen what I'm talking about, then you'll understand. Some women will only resort to cuddling and patting the child to keep them quite in public, instead of doing the needful. Once in a while you see husbands and Grandmas explode on some of such ladies. Sad.
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 03, 2015
ruffhandu:

Yes o! If you have seen what I'm talking about, then you'll understand. Some women will only resort to cuddling and patting the child to keep them quite in public, instead of doing the needful. Once in a while you see husbands and Grandmas explode on some of such ladies. Sad.

Any decent mother should plan for something like that. It's hardly an unexpected event.
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 2:51am On Feb 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Any decent mother should plan for something like that. It's hardly an unexpected event.

You can say that again
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by wimpey(m): 10:52pm On Apr 28, 2015
This is a beautiful picture of a beautiful lady feeding her baby .
ruffhandu:

Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by wimpey(m): 11:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
mutter:
Good for you . I agree with you . I see nothing wrong with the pictures of either woman breastfeeding . They are both beautiful Mothers doing the natural thing of feeding their babies. Yes , you can see some of their bosoms and some of the white lady's legs , but it doesn't matter .
Re: Breastfeeding Graduating Mum (Photo) by ruffhandu: 9:13am On Apr 29, 2015
wimpey:
This is a beautiful picture of a beautiful lady feeding her baby .

Sure, you're right.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. / I'm Not A Big Fan Of ssex! Am I Normal? / Your Sister Or Brother Is Homosexual - What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.