Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,885 members, 7,863,001 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:28 AM

How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter (567 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / The Distorted Message Of Grace That We Preach / Why Do Some Pastors Preach The Word With A Laptop Instead Of The Holy Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter by Eneyedavid(m): 2:41am On Nov 06, 2014
LOVE OR FEAR: THE APPROACH OF A PREACHER
He repeated countlessly, stressing each word as though they were monosyllabic. The words were not strange nor new to me or any one. But they were sounding vague and obviously ambiguous. I'd thought he will demonstrate or stage a scene to have his message passed on seeing that his words became incapable of self-expression.
He had just burst into our room a while ago pleading for a moment to share the word of God. Yes the word of God. We couldn't have refused his offer; lest he would say we are sinners for sure. Surely, we knew that the word of God is renewing and refreshing always. It's never too much to be enough rather think of it been prodigal or extravagantly preached.
He started with an opening prayer with a thunderous town crying voice. I was shocked. Did he have to shout this loud? But we did chorused amen! When his prayers tailed.
He said: "I want to talk about the fear of God". That was the phrase he repeated countlessly. Perhaps he assumed we all were Christians or there could be no atheist in the room. Of course we need to fear God. Because the scriptures said so.
As he preached, many questions ripped through my mind. A part of me felt a word from him will melt the ice those questions had accumulated in my mind. But the words kept eluding the ice while the ice grew in mass about to rupture like an oozing burden.
Why should I fear God if I don't acknowledge his superiority? Why should I fear a God that is invisible? Why should I fear God when he won't strike me immediately after perpetrating an evil? In fact is he a masquerade or scare crow? These were all begging for an answer within me; this I know.
The wrath of God is apocalyptic and eternal; already we know. But they aren’t instant because He wants all to come to repentance. He isn't interested in the death of a sinner.
So he said; "If you want to give your life to Christ say this prayer after me"; that was after his message must had raged fear in the unbelieving heart. Well, it could be logical to say that the fear of God can make one keep his commandments but I reminisced my primary school days how my parents warned me not to eat anybody's food even when offered freely to me. But my fear for my parents’ wrath never overpowered the hunger in me to eat when offered or beg when the hunger is killing. That is to say; temptation can override the fear of God in us at times. So the fear of God can never be enough reason for us to keep His commandments; that was the deficiency of the law. The dispensation of the law buttressed on the fear of God. But Jesus came and buttressed on the law of the spirit. The dispensation of grace was centered on love and not fear. So Jesus said "if you love me keep my commandments". You can only prove your love for God by keeping His commandments. That is why the scriptures says; the love of Christ constrains us.
This is made to say the message of salvation should be presented with God’s love for humanity and not the fear of humanity towards God's wrath.
By Ajayi Eneye David
300 level Pharmacy University of Benin.
Re: How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter by sanmitee(m): 3:02am On Nov 06, 2014
I was frenzy at the begining but I think u made a good point at the latter part. Love of Christ, yes, should be the main subject.

But it is not bad at all to let those that refuse God, know what awaits them at the end.

1 Like

Re: How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter by Hiswordxray(m): 9:06am On Nov 06, 2014
It is by knowing God's love not just by mere knowledge but also experience (Eph 4:18-19), that we could love him back and we show our love for him by submitting and obeying him. We can only experience his love when we come to know and enjoy all that he has given us. Like a mirror all we can do is reflect and reciprocate his love. But how can we love him when we don't know what is love, for God is love.

1 Like

Re: How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter by Eneyedavid(m): 12:18am On Nov 07, 2014
yeah, sanmittee, I am of the view that the love of God should be preached first, its should be after their refusal that the wrath of God be made known to them, from Jn3:16-18, you will discover that is is even unbelieve that sparks condemnation

1 Like

Re: How Some Preach The Gospel-one Of My Encounter by Eneyedavid(m): 12:20am On Nov 07, 2014
Hiswordxray that is true sha, It's only wen one has a perfect understanding and experience of God's love that he can keep his commandments

(1) (Reply)

Christian South Should Engage In A Spiritual War Against The Jihadist. / R.C.C.G Holy Ghost Congress, 2014 / Ten Commandments In Bible Prophecy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.