Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Oppression By Wealth In Igboland. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oppression By Wealth In Igboland. (821 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oppression By Wealth In Igboland. by DesChyko: 8:13am On Nov 07, 2014
The injustice brought upon the poor by wealth will not just end.
I was at home preparing the environment for my late grandfather's burial when two people, a lady and a younger-looking man came around.
We exchanged pleasantries and I inquired whom they are.
They told me they were the owners of one of the lands my grandfather had in his possession over some money borrowed almost twenty-five years ago in exchange. The agreement was to come for the land whenever they had the money.
Since my father had given me the green light to oversee these transactions, I went to retrieve the land receipt, handwritten by my late grandfather on the day of the exchange.
As I read through the receipt, in search of the amount for which the land was exchanged, I came across a writing, which was in fact a warning. It said:
"Never release the land to any other person except my first daughter, Chiagbugwu and my first son. They will come together for the land."
I then inquired after their individual names. The name of the man checked out as the son, but the lady's name didn't. So, I politely told them to come back after the burial, for I didn't really understand what was written in the receipt. Then, I said, my father would preside over this affair. Then, they left.
In a casual discussion with my mother after the burial, I told my mother what transpired on that day. She then narrated to me, the circumstances under which that land was given to our family, as she was told by her mother-in-law, my late grandmother.
Their family had two sons, the lessor of the land and his elder brother. His elder brother was financially blessed and this also lifted his own children, his five males especially into the comfort zone. This, unfortunately, didn't favour the younger brother. He had his first son (let's call him Charles) after four daughters and at a much later stage. By this time, the sons of his elder brother were doing well, and began to take over the family's lands for their own private use.
Charles father, sensing danger, quickly took two of the lands to my grandfather. He explained to him that his son (only son afterwards) was still too young to need these lands immediately and that at the rate his brother's children were using up their father's lands, there might be nothing left for his son, and he is not even sure of their permanent residence in their father's compound, as in Igbo tradition, the first born son is usually entitled to their father's compound.
The money he borrowed for the land was just a cover. What he really did was to insure his son's future. The reason he picked the first daughter to come with the son is at that time, only she understood the value of having a family land over money. So had the agreement remained till date.
About three years ago, while Charles was still struggling to make ends meet in Libya, one of the sons of Charles' uncle came to retrieve the land but met my grandparents' stiff refusal. It almost degenerated into a heated court case, but after seeing the receipt of the transaction, the issue was thrown out of court.
I'm sure they'll be back. We'll be waiting.
Bloody thieves.

1 Like

Re: Oppression By Wealth In Igboland. by bigfrancis21: 8:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
That was a smart and thoughtful act taken by Charles' father. He really played smart to secure the lands for his son's future.

1 Like

Re: Oppression By Wealth In Igboland. by Pavore9: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
l know of a similar case, it is just painful!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

******New Pictures******* / A Man Buried In Irete Owerri West LGA Last 2weeks, Who Died @ Age 130 / LASTMA To Begin Arresting Traffic Offenders At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.